ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterfinals!!

janklow

Freshman
Oct 4, 2007
I will be posting this question on the 3A-A forums. In years past there have been some great quarterfinal games that felt like that game was actually the two best teams in the state playing. And when someone would say "Blah vs Blah was actually the state championship game" some on these forums would go nuts. I am not so much asking about this year, but what are some quarterfinal games from this past that seemed to be that was when the two best teams played. Hind sight being 20/20 of course. Also, do you have any playoff rivalries that developed over the years as the same two teams kept meeting at some level of the playoffs. I am talking non district foes.

Interesting questions!

As far as the playoff rivalries, Pella and Xavier has to be up there. They first met in a semifinal game in 2014, with Pella easily shutting out the Saints. They met again in the semifinals in 2016, in an epic battle that Pella pulled out on literally the final play of the game. The next year they met in the championship, and Xavier won that by 18 points. Then, in 2018, they got paired in a first-round game at Saints Field, and it was another rock 'em-sock 'em fight to the finish. Xavier pulled it out 14-6, but the Dutch were at the goal line fighting for a tying score at the end of the game.

Last year's 3A Western Dubuque-North Scott game. Met with a trip to the dome on the line.
WD wins that match-up and goes on to win a state title.
I know WD parents who felt (looking back) that this game may have been their toughest test.
I also know that the only 3A team that the North Scott class of 2020 ever lost to since freshman year was WD (other losses were against 4A).

I think WD and NS have established a great rivalry over the years and have a mutual respect for each other's programs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT