ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions for Next Year

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
I figured that with less then a month until practice starts I would make some predictions about the upcoming season. There are a lot of variables that could effect these and are just for discussion.

District 1

1. South O’Brien

2. Gehlen

3. Akron Westfield

4. Hinton

5. HMS

6. MMCRU

Overall a tough district to predict, the top 3 teams all lose almost everything, and I am not sure about South O’Brien and Gehlen but they have talent returning so I will go with them, Gehlen actually started quite a few freshman last year so they could be a year away.

District 2

1. Alta-Aurelia

2. IKM-Manning

3. Sioux Central

4. St. Edmond

5. Ridge View

6. Manson NW Webster

Alta-Aurelia was very close to taking out AHSTW in the first round, and they return many key pieces from that team, I think that they should be the clear cut favorite to win the district, I took IKM-M second as I think their tradition and what they have back should be better then anything anyone else has.

District 3

1. West Hancock

2. Garrigan

3. Belmond Klemme

4. West Fork

5. GTRA

6. North Union

Very top heavy district last year with Belmond Klemme probably deserving of a playoff spot. I see West Hancock returning the most and think they can get past Garrigan. Garrigan and BK both lose quite a bit but I think they are better then West Fork and Garrigan has good tradition. GTRA and North Union will both struggle.

District 4

1. Saint Ansgar

2. Newman

3. South Winn

4. Central Springs

5. Nashua Plainfield

6. Starmont

7. Postville

Saint Ansgar was rather young and and inexperienced last year and still finished 2nd in the district I think they jump Newman. Newman will have a bit of a rebuild but I have heard they will be young but very talented. South Winn is a traditional power.

District 5

1. Ed-Co

2. MFL Mar Mac

3. Clayton Ridge

4. Alburnett

5. Lisbon

6. Maquoketa Valley

While Ed-Co lost the older Rochford and Streicher kids I think what they have back with the younger Rochford kid and company will do a great jump stepping up and win the district. MFL had a ton of young talent last year. Clayton Ridge and Alburnett are close and I think both could step into the 2nd spot easily. Lisbon hasn’t been the same since Kent Allison resigned. Maquoketa Valley has some talent returning but really struggled with numbers and I’m not sure why they hired the Oelwein coach.

District 6

1. BGM

2. Belle Plaine

3. Highland

4. Durant

5. Pekin

6. Cardinal

This was a very experienced district last year with no team finishing worse than 4-5 and having 3 playoff teams. This year no body is a clear cut favorite with everyone rebuilding. I would say BGM with a running back returning and a relatively strong program should be the favorite to win the district. Belle Plaine has their best skilled player back so I’ll put them in second, but in all honesty this is a wide open district.

District 7

1. Wapsie Valley

2. North Tama

3. Hudson

4. East Buc

5. Grundy Center

6. BCLUW

7. GMG

If Wapsie can fill a few holes on defense then I think they have the best chance to take this challenging district, North Tama loses a couple of studs but overall shouldn’t be a team to take lightly Hudson won’t drop off a ton, but I think what they lose is tougher to replace then Wapsie and NT. East Buc and Grundy are both quality teams that would be favorites to win some districts. BCLUW and GMG are struggling programs.

District 8

1. Wayne

2. Lynnville Sully

3. Central Decatur

4. North Mahaska

5. Grand View Christian

6. Martensdale St Marys

Wayne had a nice season with a rather young team, I think they get past Lynnville Sully, although Lynnville Sully has been a quality program for about 10 years now. Central Decatur is the only other team in the district that I really think has any ability to be successful.

District 9

1. St. Albert

2. Earlham

3. AHSTW

4. Southwest Valley

5. Riverside

6. Nodaway Valley

St. Albert was maybe the youngest team in the state last year and I think that they could be very good for the next two seasons. Earlham should take the 2nd spot rather easily as they bring back almost everything as well. AHSTW has some big holes to fill and it will be interesting to see how replacing their coach will impact them. Southwest Valley will be down but I see them being a ways ahead of Riverside or Nodaway Valley.

District 10

1. Westwood

2. Tri Center

3. Woodbury Central

4. Logan Magnolia

5. Lawton Bronson

6. West Monona

A district that I really don’t know what to do with, I don’t see a clear cut favorite, Westwood won it last year and returns their top rusher so I guys that is a good place to start, Tri Center has some nice pieces back as well, after that I think it is a big toss up with any team in this district having a chance on a Friday night.

Playoff Teams

District Champs

1. South O’Brien

2. Alta Aurelia

3. West Hancock

4. Saint Ansgar

5. Ed-Co

6. BGM

7. Wapsie Valley

8. Wayne

9. St. Albert

10. Westwood

At Large Teams

1. North Tama

2. Hudson

3. Earlham

4. Newman

5. Garrigan

6. Belle Plaine

Dome Teams

West Hancock

Wapsie Valley

Alta Aurelia

Ed-Co

Championship

West Hancock over Wapsie Valley

Reactions: Zowwy21
@PNation I love the detailed report! Best time of the year is almost here, as stated earlier I will be traveling around the state trying burgers from small town concession stands looking for the best Friday Night spot in God's land. Enjoying the greatest sport at the purest level doesn't suck either. I agree west hancock is the team to beat. But I don't see alta or ed-co as dome teams. They're to one dimensional. I think there are a few surprises in store for us this year.

I figured that with less then a month until practice starts I would make some predictions about the upcoming season. There are a lot of variables that could effect these and are just for discussion.

District 1

1. South O’Brien

2. Gehlen

3. Akron Westfield

4. Hinton

5. HMS

6. MMCRU

Overall a tough district to predict, the top 3 teams all lose almost everything, and I am not sure about South O’Brien and Gehlen but they have talent returning so I will go with them, Gehlen actually started quite a few freshman last year so they could be a year away.

District 2

1. Alta-Aurelia

2. IKM-Manning

3. Sioux Central

4. St. Edmond

5. Ridge View

6. Manson NW Webster

Alta-Aurelia was very close to taking out AHSTW in the first round, and they return many key pieces from that team, I think that they should be the clear cut favorite to win the district, I took IKM-M second as I think their tradition and what they have back should be better then anything anyone else has.

District 3

1. West Hancock

2. Garrigan

3. Belmond Klemme

4. West Fork

5. GTRA

6. North Union

Very top heavy district last year with Belmond Klemme probably deserving of a playoff spot. I see West Hancock returning the most and think they can get past Garrigan. Garrigan and BK both lose quite a bit but I think they are better then West Fork and Garrigan has good tradition. GTRA and North Union will both struggle.

District 4

1. Saint Ansgar

2. Newman

3. South Winn

4. Central Springs

5. Nashua Plainfield

6. Starmont

7. Postville

Saint Ansgar was rather young and and inexperienced last year and still finished 2nd in the district I think they jump Newman. Newman will have a bit of a rebuild but I have heard they will be young but very talented. South Winn is a traditional power.

District 5

1. Ed-Co

2. MFL Mar Mac

3. Clayton Ridge

4. Alburnett

5. Lisbon

6. Maquoketa Valley

While Ed-Co lost the older Rochford and Streicher kids I think what they have back with the younger Rochford kid and company will do a great jump stepping up and win the district. MFL had a ton of young talent last year. Clayton Ridge and Alburnett are close and I think both could step into the 2nd spot easily. Lisbon hasn’t been the same since Kent Allison resigned. Maquoketa Valley has some talent returning but really struggled with numbers and I’m not sure why they hired the Oelwein coach.

District 6

1. BGM

2. Belle Plaine

3. Highland

4. Durant

5. Pekin

6. Cardinal

This was a very experienced district last year with no team finishing worse than 4-5 and having 3 playoff teams. This year no body is a clear cut favorite with everyone rebuilding. I would say BGM with a running back returning and a relatively strong program should be the favorite to win the district. Belle Plaine has their best skilled player back so I’ll put them in second, but in all honesty this is a wide open district.

District 7

1. Wapsie Valley

2. North Tama

3. Hudson

4. East Buc

5. Grundy Center

6. BCLUW

7. GMG

If Wapsie can fill a few holes on defense then I think they have the best chance to take this challenging district, North Tama loses a couple of studs but overall shouldn’t be a team to take lightly Hudson won’t drop off a ton, but I think what they lose is tougher to replace then Wapsie and NT. East Buc and Grundy are both quality teams that would be favorites to win some districts. BCLUW and GMG are struggling programs.

District 8

1. Wayne

2. Lynnville Sully

3. Central Decatur

4. North Mahaska

5. Grand View Christian

6. Martensdale St Marys

Wayne had a nice season with a rather young team, I think they get past Lynnville Sully, although Lynnville Sully has been a quality program for about 10 years now. Central Decatur is the only other team in the district that I really think has any ability to be successful.

District 9

1. St. Albert

2. Earlham

3. AHSTW

4. Southwest Valley

5. Riverside

6. Nodaway Valley

St. Albert was maybe the youngest team in the state last year and I think that they could be very good for the next two seasons. Earlham should take the 2nd spot rather easily as they bring back almost everything as well. AHSTW has some big holes to fill and it will be interesting to see how replacing their coach will impact them. Southwest Valley will be down but I see them being a ways ahead of Riverside or Nodaway Valley.

District 10

1. Westwood

2. Tri Center

3. Woodbury Central

4. Logan Magnolia

5. Lawton Bronson

6. West Monona

A district that I really don’t know what to do with, I don’t see a clear cut favorite, Westwood won it last year and returns their top rusher so I guys that is a good place to start, Tri Center has some nice pieces back as well, after that I think it is a big toss up with any team in this district having a chance on a Friday night.

Playoff Teams

District Champs

1. South O’Brien

2. Alta Aurelia

3. West Hancock

4. Saint Ansgar

5. Ed-Co

6. BGM

7. Wapsie Valley

8. Wayne

9. St. Albert

10. Westwood

At Large Teams

1. North Tama

2. Hudson

3. Earlham

4. Newman

5. Garrigan

6. Belle Plaine

Dome Teams

West Hancock

Wapsie Valley

Alta Aurelia

Ed-Co

Championship

West Hancock over Wapsie Valley

In district 5 you said your not sure why Maq Valley hired the Oelwein coach ? Is their a reason they shouldn't have as I believe they were also looking for a AD and he took that role also. The big question there is #s and if he gets kids to buy in as in the past those upper class-men liked to party over football. Clayton Ridge pretty much lost all skill guys who touched the ball last year but do return a decent line, I think runner up in this district is a tossup. District 7 you have 3 teams again out of that district in playoffs just like last year with obviously Hudson winning the state title and I think even with their loses they are still the team to beat in the district. A surprise team could be Grundy Center but like you said between them and East Buc they might be favored in some disstricts and still be 4th and 5th in this district. Grundy has a new coach from Dubuque Walhert I believe so not sure what they will run but if not mistaken they spread it out at Walhert. I like the rest of your picks with West Hancok winning it all and St Ansgar as my darkhorse.

In district 5 you said your not sure why Maq Valley hired the Oelwein coach ? Is their a reason they shouldn't have as I believe they were also looking for a AD and he took that role also. The big question there is #s and if he gets kids to buy in as in the past those upper class-men liked to party over football. Clayton Ridge pretty much lost all skill guys who touched the ball last year but do return a decent line, I think runner up in this district is a tossup. District 7 you have 3 teams again out of that district in playoffs just like last year with obviously Hudson winning the state title and I think even with their loses they are still the team to beat in the district. A surprise team could be Grundy Center but like you said between them and East Buc they might be favored in some disstricts and still be 4th and 5th in this district. Grundy has a new coach from Dubuque Walhert I believe so not sure what they will run but if not mistaken they spread it out at Walhert. I like the rest of your picks with West Hancok winning it all and St Ansgar as my darkhorse.

I expect Th Falcons of CBSA to make a run at the dome as well. Westwood could also be a dangerous team.

Great list. Although I don’t see edco and alta making the dome. Both are in areas with very good teams and could get bad match ups going to state. I like waspie valley as the clear second best team. They will have to replace some very good lineman. But they have tradition there so expect some kids to step up. It would be very interesting to see a match up between them and West Hancock. I could definitely see waspie giving them fits with there passing game. CBSA will be tough once again. Return a good roster.

I agree with EdCo maybe not being a top four team, but they should handle their district rather easily, and I see them being sent to the southeast away from Wapsie where there aren’t many strong team, Wapsie is sort of your NE/North Central rep, West Hancock the NW rep and then AA versus CBSA out of the SW I think that is a close matchup and if you’re going with St Albert I have no problem with that.

As mentioned I see West Hancock and Wapsie as the top 2 teams then about 6 or 7 who could make the dome.

also much appreciation to PNation for the preview. That took some work!

Lets not forget my Pirates in D5. They bring alot back . 3 home games in the district with road trip to MV and Ed-co (which should decide the district). Alburnett doesnt finish 4th unless the injury bug derails season again.

Also i'd still look out for Highland in D6. they lost their QB to graduation and he did a ton for them, but i think they brought about every other starter back? I think that district is them and Pekin.

Reactions: falconfanx3
Agree, the Pirates will give them a run for their money and will be fun to see. Also, congrats on a very strong baseball season Sev!

Reactions: Sev393
I am in no way hating on your Pirates I really think that 2-4 in that district are really close, I think EdCo has to be the favorite, then the bottom two team also kind of stick out to me.

I agree with EdCo maybe not being a top four team, but they should handle their district rather easily, and I see them being sent to the southeast away from Wapsie where there aren’t many strong team, Wapsie is sort of your NE/North Central rep, West Hancock the NW rep and then AA versus CBSA out of the SW I think that is a close matchup and if you’re going with St Albert I have no problem with that.

As mentioned I see West Hancock and Wapsie as the top 2 teams then about 6 or 7 who could make the dome.
A horrific incident would be if wapsie loses a game and they put them in West hancocks quadrant. And I could definitely see them putting edco in waspies quadrant.

I am in no way hating on your Pirates I really think that 2-4 in that district are really close, I think EdCo has to be the favorite, then the bottom two team also kind of stick out to me.

I didnt take it as that PNation, so no worries. Your take on 2-4 is right on. I'm just thinking Alburnett will get wins against CR and MFL at home this year. Maybe its my old bones but the ride from linn county to NE iowa is not an easy one.

But who knows with high school kids.

CR does lose quite a bit of their offense this year, and if I recollect their D wasn't their strength so personally I put them at 4 in that district. MFL has quite a bit back as does the Pirates, and in my opinion the Pirates (despite losing Barnett) has the better athletes. I would go so far as to say it is a close 1-2 between Alb and EdCo, MFL then CR. And while I give Ed Co slight nod since they play Alb at home, it would not shock me if they won.

Lisbon and Maq Valley are young but should be just as good as the rest except for maybe Ed-Co who I agree has to be the favorite coming off dome apperance. Lisbon was the best 0-9 team ive ever seen last year. They have a lot of size and athleticism that will be in 10-11th grades. Dont sleep on Lisbon!

As always with this size of school, success will come down to who can keep the healthiest for the longest...

D6 will be very interesting as every team in the district graduated their starting qb, but multiple return good backs, beck from bgm eckley from pekin and straight from belle Plaine. Wide open district and I imagine the team with the best line out of those three will take the district.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT