ADVERTISEMENT

Possible Teams Dropping or Going up?

When did they have over 50 kids and go 0-9? It is not in 8 man. and yes, 36 kids is a lot for 8 man football. You are basically 4 deep at each position. Similar schools with that BED number have maybe 20 kids average. Look it up if you do not believe me.

Most A, 1A rosters have 35-40 kids, much like Don Bosco.

They actually only have 32 players this year, quickstats has 4 kids listed that either are not playing or are no longer in school. Huff, Allen, Funk & Hirshauer.There are some duplicate #'s. 13 kids that weigh 155 or less. If your team wins then naturally more kids will play. Some will never see the field. DB is fortunate that kids stay out for 4 years even if they don't play.

So under your thoughts because of a good participation by their students DB should be a Class A team (Roster of 32 and a BEDS of 81). So by our logic - Turkey Valley (33 players with a BEDS of 85), Janesville (31 players with BEDS of 86), West Central-Maynard (29 players with a BEDS of 58), Midland (43 players with a 108 BEDS), HLV (35 players with a 77 BEDS), etc...all should be playing class A football because they have too many players. What is your number that you think is fair?

A couple of other examples that proves your thinking faulty. In the past 3-4 years these teams forfeited games because of lack of participation. East Waterloo when they were class 4A, Starmont class A, South Hardin were 2A. So since they could not field a team they should be 8 Man.

Make it be known that a Private Catholic school within the boarders of a top 10 population public school district is playing 8 man football simply to win championships.

My proposal would be to not let private schools over 50 BEDs play 8 man football. I think Don Bosco has proven why. No matter what, they will always be in the playoffs. with a BEDs of 80 and averaging 39 players per year since starting 8 man...... public schools with the BEDs of 80 do not have an average of 39 players 8 years in a row for football. I am allowed to point that out here. and my frustration will be more private schools will do this soon because of the level of success Don Bosco has had. No idea why you would need to move down to 8 man with 39 kids playing per year other than simply wanting to have a chance to win a championship year in and year out because they were not winning at the A level like that.

Does this logic also apply to Public Schools that are adjacent to larger metro areas? Janesville won girls volleyball 4 consecutive year with some open enrollees from Cedar Falls in their school. Should they move up? Springville has been very good in Girls BB, they are right next to Cedar Rapids should they move up to Class 2A. Dike-New Hartford is also right next to Waterloo/Cedar Falls so should they move up a class because they have been very successful in Football.

Gladbrook Reinbeck has been very successful in football with titles just a few years back. Their enrollment dropped and they moved to 8Man. They have 35 on their roster. Should have they been forced to stay up in Class A? Why haven't you been complaining about them? Were you having issues last year when DB had 2 losses and didn't make the Dome? Never heard a peep from you.

By the way I have a strong tie to Waterloo Columbus but have several friends and relatives that are strong DB supporters. I am just tired with jealous people who can't get over the fact that if a private school wins other fans with dislike you. Columbus has just had a good run the past few years but really struggled before, now that they are winning the haters are starting to talk about them. Get over the fact that on occasion a private school has a better team.

Work to get your school better. Get the community involved. Do the little things. Do you have people volunteer to help coach? Here's something else to digest. Does your head football coach, work with the 5-6 grade kids? Do they run the youth flag football program? Coach Yoder & Coach Christensen do. They do everything to make their program better.

I'm done - off my soapbox. Good luck to the Dons and to our other local team Grundy Center. If you are traveling to the Dome - safe travels.

Peace Out!

Another fun fact using the information on quikstats (which might be incorrect, but it is what I have in front of me), before DB dropped down to 8 man they did average about 25 kids for 11 man for 5 years, they somehow got that to bump up to 43 the year before they go to 8 man.

What I am asking is how does a school that averaged 25 kids for 5 years all of a sudden putting an average of 39 out there for 8 years in a row? How is that possible? Drop to 8 man and your numbers go up by 14 players per year, usually if people are dropping down it is because the population and roster is decreasing.........
Yeah It's so surprising that winning 14 games in your first 7 years of football would shrink the appeal of participation in football.

Make it be known that a Private Catholic school within the boarders of a top 10 population public school district is playing 8 man football simply to win championships.

My proposal would be to not let private schools over 50 BEDs play 8 man football. I think Don Bosco has proven why. No matter what, they will always be in the playoffs. with a BEDs of 80 and averaging 39 players per year since starting 8 man...... public schools with the BEDs of 80 do not have an average of 39 players 8 years in a row for football. I am allowed to point that out here. and my frustration will be more private schools will do this soon because of the level of success Don Bosco has had. No idea why you would need to move down to 8 man with 39 kids playing per year other than simply wanting to have a chance to win a championship year in and year out because they were not winning at the A level like that.
Well, at least you made it clear you have no logic and are a "hater" in every sense of the word.
:Insert Billy Madison everyone is now dumber for having listened meme:

Reactions: LetItFlyCulter
They actually only have 32 players this year, quickstats has 4 kids listed that either are not playing or are no longer in school. Huff, Allen, Funk & Hirshauer.There are some duplicate #'s. 13 kids that weigh 155 or less. If your team wins then naturally more kids will play. Some will never see the field. DB is fortunate that kids stay out for 4 years even if they don't play.

So under your thoughts because of a good participation by their students DB should be a Class A team (Roster of 32 and a BEDS of 81). So by our logic - Turkey Valley (33 players with a BEDS of 85), Janesville (31 players with BEDS of 86), West Central-Maynard (29 players with a BEDS of 58), Midland (43 players with a 108 BEDS), HLV (35 players with a 77 BEDS), etc...all should be playing class A football because they have too many players. What is your number that you think is fair?

A couple of other examples that proves your thinking faulty. In the past 3-4 years these teams forfeited games because of lack of participation. East Waterloo when they were class 4A, Starmont class A, South Hardin were 2A. So since they could not field a team they should be 8 Man.

OK, according to quikstats they have averaged 39 players while participating in 8 man football. and averaged 25 playing in A football.

The more players they have the more successful they have been, I am saying with that average it is clearly an advantage and most schools with BEDs of 80 can not and do not have that consistency because they do not have that advantage of getting kids to come there to play because of the name on the jersey or the ability to pluck individuals from their area. Of course I give DB credit for finding the loophole in this system. They are the cream of the crop of 8 man programs in the state. It is just unfortunate for other schools of the same BEDs (socioeconomics/ demographics are completely different for them). Those places do not have the advantage Don Bosco has. A public school making their title run that they seldom get with kids that have played together for years gets haulted because DB can just get replacements every year and not miss a beat. They have proved that Class A was to hard, but that was with low roster numbers that would have been appropriate to 8 man at the time. Now all of a sudden the switch has them with lower BEDs and higher football participation. Not all of the kids are home grown at all. I do not know why this is hard to understand.

Yeah It's so surprising that winning 14 games in your first 7 years of football would shrink the appeal of participation in football.

So they had the capability of winning a lot of games the whole time? Where did they find these 15 extra athletes already in the school system? and yearly? I do not get it.

I'm an outsider - list off the names of the individuals that they "pluck"? Don't assume - give proof.

Beating a dead horse here. They're 8 man - likely going to stay 8 man. I highly doubt any powers that be will put stock in the comments on here that come up every single year around this time.

I'm an outsider - list off the names of the individuals that they "pluck"? Don't assume - give proof.

I am not from around there, so I have no "proof" but I do know private schools do get kids all the time from surrounding areas to play for them. If you do not think this happens then that is ok. Look at St. Marys from a few years ago with kids from Kingsley playing for them. The convenience of this is huge for DB.

I am not from around there, so I have no "proof" but I do know private schools do get kids all the time from surrounding areas to play for them. If you do not think this happens then that is ok. Look at St. Marys from a few years ago with kids from Kingsley playing for them. The convenience of this is huge for DB.
Lol "Im not from there, can't prove it, but i know its true" Go away troll

Reactions: paxregis
Which kids from Kingsley played for RSM? Now you're talking about an area that I'm from. RSM had 1 player come in from out of state who moved in with a family friend and was an all-state talent. Call that recruiting or not, I don't recall anyone from Kingsley, at least that helped in any winning. No facts, no argument..

Which kids from Kingsley played for RSM? Now you're talking about an area that I'm from. RSM had 1 player come in from out of state who moved in with a family friend and was an all-state talent. Call that recruiting or not, I don't recall anyone from Kingsley, at least that helped in any winning. No facts, no argument..

They are a Kingsley family, or from there at some point, as I am also from the area. I know Heelan gets kids to come play multiple sports from surrounding towns also. We all know that from NW Iowa. maybe that is why I am annoyed at private school influences at times. I actually think that RSM is fine and it happens in public schools too with kids coming and going with open enrollment. They also are getting some RU families that would have stayed public, but want to keep their kids in town.

Look at the last 1A/ 8man champions in Basketball, Football, and Baseball the last 5 years and you will see what I am talking about. It is always, at least 90% of the time, involving a private school in the championship game or winning it all. Look at the percentage of private schools vs public in 1A Baseball and Basketball and 8 man football...... it is just a clear advantage. Not sure how others do not see that as a problem with small town Iowa sports. Other states have provisions, not sure why Iowa does not.

Does this logic also apply to Public Schools that are adjacent to larger metro areas? Janesville won girls volleyball 4 consecutive year with some open enrollees from Cedar Falls in their school. Should they move up? Springville has been very good in Girls BB, they are right next to Cedar Rapids should they move up to Class 2A. Dike-New Hartford is also right next to Waterloo/Cedar Falls so should they move up a class because they have been very successful in Football.

Gladbrook Reinbeck has been very successful in football with titles just a few years back. Their enrollment dropped and they moved to 8Man. They have 35 on their roster. Should have they been forced to stay up in Class A? Why haven't you been complaining about them? Were you having issues last year when DB had 2 losses and didn't make the Dome? Never heard a peep from you.

By the way I have a strong tie to Waterloo Columbus but have several friends and relatives that are strong DB supporters. I am just tired with jealous people who can't get over the fact that if a private school wins other fans with dislike you. Columbus has just had a good run the past few years but really struggled before, now that they are winning the haters are starting to talk about them. Get over the fact that on occasion a private school has a better team.

Work to get your school better. Get the community involved. Do the little things. Do you have people volunteer to help coach? Here's something else to digest. Does your head football coach, work with the 5-6 grade kids? Do they run the youth flag football program? Coach Yoder & Coach Christensen do. They do everything to make their program better.

I'm done - off my soapbox. Good luck to the Dons and to our other local team Grundy Center. If you are traveling to the Dome - safe travels.

Peace Out!

Coach Christensen should’ve helped with the Midland youth program instead of chasing around all of those cheerleaders in his time there

I am getting a little anxious to see the classes and who moves up or down either way.

Here are last years numbers (the 2019/2020 school year) for schools with 125 or less kids that could move down or back up, and some interesting teams that are below that could easily make the move down
125 - St. Alberts, Hartley Melvin Sanborn
123 - Lisbon, Edgewood Colesburg
122 - North Mahaska, MMCRU
120 - Northwood Kensett, Lone Tree, New London
119 - North Butler, Nashua Plainfield,
118 - Riverside, GMG, Easton Valley
116 - Gehlen Catholic, East Union, BGM
115 - Southeast Warren
114 - Audubon, North Tama, Bishop Garrigan
106 - Neuman Catholic

The highlighted are teams I could see considering it. But maybe Riverside and MMCRU are the best bets to actually do it. again, Sidney was at 131, so it will be interesting to see what they do.

They are a Kingsley family, or from there at some point, as I am also from the area. I know Heelan gets kids to come play multiple sports from surrounding towns also. We all know that from NW Iowa. maybe that is why I am annoyed at private school influences at times. I actually think that RSM is fine and it happens in public schools too with kids coming and going with open enrollment. They also are getting some RU families that would have stayed public, but want to keep their kids in town.

Look at the last 1A/ 8man champions in Basketball, Football, and Baseball the last 5 years and you will see what I am talking about. It is always, at least 90% of the time, involving a private school in the championship game or winning it all. Look at the percentage of private schools vs public in 1A Baseball and Basketball and 8 man football...... it is just a clear advantage. Not sure how others do not see that as a problem with small town Iowa sports. Other states have provisions, not sure why Iowa does not.
Not sure how you can't understand that parents who decide to pass on free, public education and send kids to a private school (essentially paying for 2 educations) also invest in their kids' extra curriculars much more than public school attendees . Those investments (be it monetarily through coaching, nutrion, equipment, training, etc through volunteering hours, or whatever other means of involvement) absolutely pay dividends on the field, in the classroom, on the stage, and so on.

Why would you punish a school because their student body engaged in extracurriculars at a higher percentage?
Wanna have class determined by roster size? The assinity of that idea has already been exposed.

Just admit you're a jealous hater, drop it, and move along.

Not sure how you can't understand that parents who decide to pass on free, public education and send kids to a private school (essentially paying for 2 educations) also invest in their kids' extra curriculars much more than public school attendees . Those investments (be it monetarily through coaching, nutrion, equipment, training, etc through volunteering hours, or whatever other means of involvement) absolutely pay dividends on the field, in the classroom, on the stage, and so on.

Why would you punish a school because their student body engaged in extracurriculars at a higher percentage?
Wanna have class determined by roster size? The assinity of that idea has already been exposed.

Just admit you're a jealous hater, drop it, and move along.

I never said roster size would determine class size. I found it odd that the roster expanded when Don Bosco went to 8 man for their roster.

And they are engaged at a higher percentage because Private schools accept them to come there to play sports or extra curriculars, not for education because they have no repremands from the state for scoring.

I find it rather amusing that getting to have a talent pool of a huge school district base and having a population of what some have reported as 60% male students in the school fields an 8 man team that has won 4 out of 8 championships since playing 8 man football.

Heck, Remsen St. Mary has a BEDs of 47 and they are perennial state qualifiers. ALl the teams that have beat Don Bosco for the 8 man Titles or stopped them from getting to the dome are teams that have the numbers to compete with them. their BEDs are in the 110 range and have just dropped down from A.

Do some research and you will see that private schools dominate the championships at the lower levels. The ones from smaller population bases do not win titles. The ones from large Populations/ Public school districts win the titles (Waterloo, Mason City, Des Moines). Smaller private schools (St Mary) get beat by the bigger private schools located in these metro areas in these cases.

That is for 1A Baseball, and Basketball and 8 man football.

and Back to the student body being engaged, the student body is engaged because they want to be there, and go there, and are welcomed there and if you have someone screw up they are kicked out or to the curb. Public schools have to serve everyone, and all students are counted in the BEDs numbers. So you are essentially proving why private schools have the advantages in sports.

I never said roster size would determine class size. I found it odd that the roster expanded when Don Bosco went to 8 man for their roster. Whats so hard to understand that success breeds participation?

And they are engaged at a higher percentage because Private schools accept them to come there to play sports or extra curriculars, not for education because they have no repremands from the state for scoring.Do you Really believe a school that has 100 students is turning kids away?

I find it rather amusing that getting to have a talent pool of a huge school district base and having a population of what some have reported as 60% male students in the school fields an 8 man team that has won 4 out of 8 championships since playing 8 man football. Im not sure why you keep repeating this, but again, waterloo city kids are served by waterloo columbus. Bosco fields kids from the rural areas around gilbertville, Raymond, Jesup. Please just say you read this finally and understand waterloo catholics (and Cedar Falls for that matter) go to Columbus.

Heck, Remsen St. Mary has a BEDs of 47 and they are perennial state qualifiers. ALl the teams that have beat Don Bosco for the 8 man Titles or stopped them from getting to the dome are teams that have the numbers to compete with them. their BEDs are in the 110 range and have just dropped down from A. On this one I could be wrong, but fairly sure Elkader, MMC, & Newell Fonda had not recently dropped from A

Do some research and you will see that private schools dominate the championships at the lower levels.
The big private schools dominate as well - whats you point? The ones from smaller population bases do not win titles. The ones from large Populations/ Public school districts win the titles (Waterloo, Mason City, Des Moines). Smaller private schools (St Mary) get beat by the bigger private schools located in these metro areas in these cases. Bigger schools beat smaller schools? Holy crap, whouldve thunk it?
That is for 1A Baseball, and Basketball and 8 man football.and 3A/4A football, baseball, swimming, speech, band, mock trial, etc. again, whats your point?

and Back to the student body being engaged, the student body is engaged because they want to be there, and go there, and are welcomed there and if you have someone screw up they are kicked out or to the curb. I would love for you to point to one case of this happening at Bosco. Just one. On the contrary, Bosco has routinely been a "last resort" for kids that have been booted from the surrounding Public schools . The last straw before Expo. Public schools have to serve everyone, and all students are counted in the BEDs numbers. So you are essentially proving why private schools have the advantages in sports.

Last edited:
The point is no matter how successful small public schools are, they can have great participation. Coaches have to look down the road and wait for special athletes to make a run at state. Its pretty disheartening to see those kids develop with higher participation % than many championship programs get beat by a program that doesn't live by the same rules. Private schools think that success determines participation, and it may help but you flat have to have the boys in your school to do it. I didn't see many unathletic kids on the sidelines for DB. Where are the 5 or more kids that will never play anything but JV? The bottom 10 at DB would start at most of the non playoff schools. Thats not work ethic of kids, or great coaching, thats the difference in a private and public roster. Remsen at least has a few of those.

I believe there should be a level of 8 man for schools that have roster size similar to 11 man schools. 32 kids is more than enough to play 11 man. If you dont want to play 11 man have a division of teams that choose 8 man for what ever reason. It should be very competitive. Then the schools wont have to petition to stay down or go up. They can choose to play 8 man if they qualify for class a or they are private.

It's time for 2 divisions of 8 man. That would allow for the private schools that want to play 8man to play better competition.

For the private school guys that believe they are better at all team sports because they work harder. You are like the kid playing madden football on the lowest skill level telling your freinds you are the best ever. Division 3 football doesn't compete with division 1, because they can't attract the same talent. Its the same deal. Get over yourself and think about the kids, and the shrinking participation levels in the sport we love.

Lower the beds number for the schools playing 8 man because they dont have a choice, and put a bunch of freshman out on the field. Make a rule against tryouts or roster cuts if you need to. Roster size in 8 man is more important than beds numbers. The majority of the bottom of 8 man just dont have the numbers. Adding bigger schools to 8 man isn't looking out for kids safety for small schools. Which is the supposed hallmark the committee uses to do everything.

Yes, they are sending their kids there for sports, and extra curriculars. Which is what I am saying. All those kids at that school are there for that reason.
Might want to double check with the Catholics before making this assumption. Btw... you are really proving to be a true "moran" in this thread.

I never said roster size would determine class size. I found it odd that the roster expanded when Don Bosco went to 8 man for their roster. Whats so hard to understand that success breeds participation?

And they are engaged at a higher percentage because Private schools accept them to come there to play sports or extra curriculars, not for education because they have no repremands from the state for scoring.Do you Really believe a school that has 100 students is turning kids away?

I find it rather amusing that getting to have a talent pool of a huge school district base and having a population of what some have reported as 60% male students in the school fields an 8 man team that has won 4 out of 8 championships since playing 8 man football. Im not sure why you keep repeating this, but again, waterloo city kids are served by waterloo columbus. Bosco fields kids from the rural areas around gilbertville, Raymond, Jesup. Please just say you read this finally and understand waterloo catholics (and Cedar Falls for that matter) go to Columbus.

Heck, Remsen St. Mary has a BEDs of 47 and they are perennial state qualifiers. ALl the teams that have beat Don Bosco for the 8 man Titles or stopped them from getting to the dome are teams that have the numbers to compete with them. their BEDs are in the 110 range and have just dropped down from A. On this one I could be wrong, but fairly sure Elkader, MMC, & Newell Fonda had not recently dropped from A

Do some research and you will see that private schools dominate the championships at the lower levels.
The big private schools dominate as well - whats you point? The ones from smaller population bases do not win titles. The ones from large Populations/ Public school districts win the titles (Waterloo, Mason City, Des Moines). Smaller private schools (St Mary) get beat by the bigger private schools located in these metro areas in these cases. Bigger schools beat smaller schools? Holy crap, whouldve thunk it?
That is for 1A Baseball, and Basketball and 8 man football.and 3A/4A football, baseball, swimming, speech, band, mock trial, etc. again, whats your point?

and Back to the student body being engaged, the student body is engaged because they want to be there, and go there, and are welcomed there and if you have someone screw up they are kicked out or to the curb. I would love for you to point to one case of this happening at Bosco. Just one. On the contrary, Bosco has routinely been a "last resort" for kids that have been booted from the surrounding Public schools . The last straw before Expo. Public schools have to serve everyone, and all students are counted in the BEDs numbers. So you are essentially proving why private schools have the advantages in sports.

Do you understand Gilbertville is located in ths Waterloo CSD?

The point is no matter how successful small public schools are, they can have great participation. Coaches have to look down the road and wait for special athletes to make a run at state. Its pretty disheartening to see those kids develop with higher participation % than many championship programs get beat by a program that doesn't live by the same rules. Private schools think that success determines participation, and it may help but you flat have to have the boys in your school to do it. I didn't see many unathletic kids on the sidelines for DB. Where are the 5 or more kids that will never play anything but JV? The bottom 10 at DB would start at most of the non playoff schools. Thats not work ethic of kids, or great coaching, thats the difference in a private and public roster. Remsen at least has a few of those.

I believe there should be a level of 8 man for schools that have roster size similar to 11 man schools. 32 kids is more than enough to play 11 man. If you dont want to play 11 man have a division of teams that choose 8 man for what ever reason. It should be very competitive. Then the schools wont have to petition to stay down or go up. They can choose to play 8 man if they qualify for class a or they are private.

It's time for 2 divisions of 8 man. That would allow for the private schools that want to play 8man to play better competition.

For the private school guys that believe they are better at all team sports because they work harder. You are like the kid playing madden football on the lowest skill level telling your freinds you are the best ever. Division 3 football doesn't compete with division 1, because they can't attract the same talent. Its the same deal. Get over yourself and think about the kids, and the shrinking participation levels in the sport we love.

Lower the beds number for the schools playing 8 man because they dont have a choice, and put a bunch of freshman out on the field. Make a rule against tryouts or roster cuts if you need to. Roster size in 8 man is more important than beds numbers. The majority of the bottom of 8 man just dont have the numbers. Adding bigger schools to 8 man isn't looking out for kids safety for small schools. Which is the supposed hallmark the committee uses to do everything.
Private schools should play up a class or have their own class for the simple reason that they are attracting kids willing to pay tuition to attend. That is naturally going to attract families looking for more upside than the average public school has to offer. Bosco has always had a good core of home grown athletes. They also have a nice supply that are not homegrown. Nothing against the kids or the coaches. They work hard for everything they get. The Iahsaa classing system is flawed.

Do you understand Gilbertville is located in ths Waterloo CSD?
Not as "in" as Columbus ...so for the 5th time - aknowledge The city of Waterloo kids, whose parents want them in a private Catholic school, go to Columbus. If you can't see that, your entire argument is moot.

Not as "in" as Columbus ...so for the 5th time - aknowledge The city of Waterloo kids, whose parents want them in a private Catholic school, go to Columbus. If you can't see that, your entire argument is moot.

Seriously though, Gilberville kids not going to Don Bosco go to school in Waterloo, because they are in that school district.

Seriously though, Gilberville kids not going to Don Bosco go to school in Waterloo, because they are in that school district.
So you are admitting your entire argument is invalid because you simply choose to ignore the fact a private Catholic school exists in the Waterloo city limits. Glad we FINALLY got there. Now go be a hater elsewhere

True, if you can't afford to go to a private school or you're not good enough to get a "scholarship" you must go elsewhere.

I believe that you call that open enrollment or aka - public school recruiting.

Please enlighten me on this scholarship that is being offered because I sure would have liked to applied for one when I went to school.

I believe that you call that open enrollment or aka - public school recruiting.

Please enlighten me on this scholarship that is being offered because I sure would have liked to applied for one when I went to school.

IF the scholarship angle does not apply to DB, then it might be one of very few private schools that do not offer tuition assistance, scholariships, parents getting jobs, etc.

I can acknowledge that public schools do use open enrollment as a way to recruit, but the appeal of the private school is more than public schools by far and they have to recruit in general to get kids to attend their school system.

What I do not understand is how they absolutely reload every year with out a hiccup. NO, losing 2 games in a year is not a hiccup. There are absolutely no schools that size or any other size that have had that much success in 8 man. Perennial playoff programs from public schools do exist, but not ones that consistently get to the semis 88% of the time. No other public school can come close to that.

Fremont Mills, Audubon, TV, etc have been very consistent, but not at the current rate of DB, they also have about 30 more kids annually per their BEDs numbers. But by all means, keep your head in the sand while everyone else can see what is happening.

Anyone have a clue on teams dropping down. Have heard that Riverside will stay up and not come down. Also stopped by the A football board and saw a Garrigan rumor of coming down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT