ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Cruncher, v3.0

KidSilverhair

Varsity
Aug 31, 2008
www.thirdandamile.blogspot.com
Things have sorted themselves out, mostly, even with one week to go. District champions are set in six of the seven districts, while three of the seven are totally set and it's only kind of complicated for a couple of the remaining districts.

Let's go to the videotape!

DISTRICT 1

SERGEANT BLUFF-LUTON has won the district.

SPENCER is in if they beat Algona; who woulda thunk, right?

HEELAN needs to win plus a Spencer loss. They're in the running for a wild card at 5-2.

STORM LAKE can still get in if they beat SBL, as long as both Heelan and Spencer lose. They'd be in play for a wild card at 5-2, unless Heelan is also in the pool (Heelan's win over Storm Lake would knock them out).

1. SERGEANT BLUFF-LUTON (7-0, 9-0)
  2. SPENCER (5-2, 7-2; head-to-head tiebreaker over Heelan)
  3. HEELAN (5-2, 7-2)
  4. STORM LAKE (4-3, 6-3)
  5. SPIRIT LAKE (3-4, 5-4)
  6. HUMBOLDT (2-5, 3-6)
  7. LE MARS (1-6, 2-7)
  8. ALGONA (1-6, 3-6)

DISTRICT 2

DALLAS CENTER-GRIMES has won the district.

WEBSTER CITY gets second if they beat Boone.

BOONE has to beat Webster City by at least 14 points, or have Ballard lose.

BALLARD is out except for a possible wild card (they can't catch Webster City in a points tiebreaker).

If Boone, Ballard and Webster City all finish 5-2 it depends on the score margins. A big win for Boone gets them second place; Webster City goes in the wild card pool while Ballard is eliminated. A narrow win for Boone keeps Webster City in second; Boone gets knocked out of the wild card pool due to their loss to Ballard. Should Carlisle also be in the wild card pool, that knocks Ballard out, as well.

1. DALLAS CENTER-GRIMES (7-0, 9-0)
  2. WEBSTER CITY (6-1, 8-1)
  3. BALLARD (5-2, 5-4)
  4. BOONE (4-3, 6-3)
  5. PERRY (3-4, 4-5)
  6. GILBERT (2-5, 3-6)
  7. GREENE COUNTY (1-6, 1-8)
  8. IOWA FALLS-ALDEN (0-7, 1-8)

DISTRICT 3

XAVIER is district champion.

WAVERLY-SHELL ROCK is second.

DECORAH could get in the wild card pool with a win.
  1. XAVIER (7-0, 9-0)
  2. WAVERLY-SHELL ROCK (6-1, 8-1)
  3. DECORAH (5-2, 7-2)
  4. BENTON (4-3, 6-3)
  5. INDEPENDENCE (3-4, 4-6)
  6. CHARLES CITY (1-6, 2-7)
  7. SOUTH TAMA (1-6, 2-7)
  8. VINTON-SHELLSBURG (1-6, 1-8)

DISTRICT 4

WEST DELAWARE wins the district with a win. If they lose, they still get in if Marion beats Assumption, OR if they lose by 15 points or less PLUS Marion loses by at least 2 PLUS a win by Wahlert.
(Actually, I believe if West Delaware loses, Assumption beats Marion, and Wahlert wins

The MARION-DAVENPORT ASSUMPTION winner is in. Marion becomes district champion if they win; Assumption can be the champion if West Delaware loses. Marion can also make it if they lose by a point while West Delaware loses by 15 points or more.

DUBUQUE WAHLERT is out except for wild card consideration; they can't catch West Delaware in points.

If both Marion and Wahlert finish 5-2, Marion is knocked out of the pool due to their loss to Wahlert. If Assumption and Wahlert finish 5-2, it's Wahlert that is removed from the pool.

IF MARION WINS:​
  1. MARION (6-1, 7-2; head-to-head tiebreaker over West Delaware)
  2. WEST DELAWARE (6-1, 7-2)
  3. DAVENPORT ASSUMPTION (5-2, 6-3; head-to-head over Wahlert)
  4. DUBUQUE WAHLERT (5-2, 5-4)
  5. CLEAR CREEK-AMANA (3-4, 3-6)
  6. CENTER POINT-URBANA (2-5, 4-5)
  7. CENTRAL DE WITT (1-6, 1-8)
  8. MAQUOKETA (0-7, 0-9)
IF ASSUMPTION WINS:​
  1. WEST DELAWARE (6-1, 7-2; head-to-head tiebreaker over Assumption)
  2. DAVENPORT ASSUMPTION (6-1, 7-2)
  3. DUBUQUE WAHLERT (5-2, 6-3; head-to-head over Marion)
  4. MARION (5-2, 5-4)
  5. CLEAR CREEK-AMANA (3-4, 3-6)
  6. CENTER POINT-URBANA (2-5, 4-5)
  7. CENTRAL DE WITT (1-6, 1-8)
  8. MAQUOKETA (0-7, 0-9)
DISTRICT 5

SOLON is district champion.

WASHINGTON is second.

OSKALOOSA can get in the wild card pool.
  1. SOLON (7-0, 9-0)
  2. WASHINGTON (6-1, 8-1)
  3. OSKALOOSA (5-2, 6-3)
  4. MT PLEASANT (4-3, 6-3)
  5. FT MADISON (2-5, 4-5)
  6. WEST BURLINGTON/ND (2-5, 2-7)
  7. FAIRFIELD (2-5, 2-7)
  8. KEOKUK (0-7, 0-9)

DISTRICT 6

PELLA has won the district.

The NORWALK-CARLISLE winner will finish second. The loser is in the wild card pool.

IF CARLISLE WINS​
  1. PELLA (7-0, 8-1)
  2. CARLISLE (6-1, 8-1)
  3. NORWALK (5-2, 6-3)
  4. NEVADA (3-4, 5-4)
  5. KNOXVILLE (3-4, 5-4)
  6. BONDURANT-FARRAR (2-5, 2-7)
  7. NORTH POLK (1-6, 2-7)
  8. GRINNELL (1-6, 1-8)
IF NORWALK WINS​
  1. PELLA (7-0, 8-1)
  2. NORWALK (6-1, 7-2)
  3. CARLISLE (5-2, 7-2)
  4. NEVADA (3-4, 5-4)
  5. KNOXVILLE (3-4, 5-4)
  6. BONDURANT-FARRAR (2-5, 2-7)
  7. NORTH POLK (1-6, 2-7)
  8. GRINNELL (1-6, 1-8)
DISTRICT 7

HARLAN has won the district.

GLENWOOD is second.

WINTERSET can get in the wild card pool with a win over Denison-Schleswig, unless Norwalk loses to Carlisle to go in the pool - that would knock Winterset out.
  1. HARLAN (7-0, 8-1)
  2. GLENWOOD (6-1, 8-1)
  3. WINTERSET (5-2, 6-3)
  4. DENISON-SCHLESWIG (3-4, 4-5)
  5. ATLANTIC (3-4, 5-4)
  6. CARROLL (3-4, 4-5)
  7. CRESTON-OM (1-6, 2-7)
  8. ADM (0-7, 1-8)

Operating from the assumption that Marion loses to Assumption and Carlisle defeats Norwalk (just to pick an outcome; I think both those games are pretty even) then the wild card pool becomes Heelan; Ballard; Decorah; Wahlert; Oskaloosa; and Norwalk. Given the current point differentials, it's pretty hard not to have Norwalk as one of the wild cards, while the other is likely Decorah. (If Norwalk beats Carlisle, that knocks Ballard out of the pool and puts Winterset in; Carlisle's point differential is even better than Norwalk's, so they probably get in).

That sets up possible first round matchups like so:
  • Glenwood at Sergeant Bluff-Luton
  • Spencer at Harlan
  • Webster City at Waverly-Shell Rock (2v2, alphabetical order for homefield)
  • Decorah at West Delaware
  • Assumption at Solon
  • Washington at Xavier
  • Carlisle at Dallas Center-Grimes
  • Norwalk at Pella (yeah, I know, district rematch, but the state playoff manual does say they CAN have district rematches with the wild card teams, and I don't see a smoother way to do this if there's three qualifiers from District 6)

Last edited:
Let me re-address the wild card situation and the point differentials. The issue is that for Norwalk and Carlisle to be included in the pool, they have to lose, therefore their point differential would go down from what it currently is; everybody else needs a win to get to 5-2, thereby increasing their differentials.

Let's throw out the differentials and just go by pure district points, since they're all divided by 7 anyway that still works.

Carlisle is at 68 now, while Norwalk is at 62. Whichever of those teams loses will lose points from that total. I don't expect a blowout in that game, so it wouldn't move much, but you're talking in the area of 60-65 for Carlisle and 55-60 for Norwalk, roughly.

Of the other possibles I have listed above, it goes like this for current point totals (and potential increases up to 17 points):
  • Decorah 50 (up to 67)
  • Heelan 44 (up to 61)
  • Oskaloosa 42 (up to 59)
  • Ballard 41 (up to 58)
  • Winterset 35 (up to 52)
So if Decorah beats Independence by 3 points or more, Winterset can't catch them, and they could barely catch Carlisle or Norwalk if that game was a blowout and Winterset blasts Denison-Schleswig. So Winterset probably doesn't have a chance. Let's make a wild guess at approximate point totals after next Friday:
  • Decorah 64
  • Heelan 61
  • Oskaloosa 59
  • Ballard 56
  • Winterset 42
Then you're likely looking at Decorah and Heelan as the wild cards; unless Norwalk beat Carlisle, and then you've probably got Carlisle and Decorah. It's tricky! Let's play with Heelan as a wild card instead of Norwalk ...
  • Glenwood at SBL
  • Heelan at DCG
  • Washington at Xavier
  • Decorah at West Delaware
  • Assumption at Solon
  • Waverly-Shell Rock at Pella
  • Carlisle at Harlan
  • Webster City at Spencer (2v2)
Wheeee!

grinnell sure has slipped in recent years.. that program use to be yearly powerhouse. anyone know what happen at grinell that has cause such a drastic slide to their foortball team

And finally ... a little more nitty gritty on the wild card situation, now that it's not 1:30 in the morning and I can do math. Sort of.

Should Marion defeat Assumption this week, Assumption has one of the wild cards locked down. If Assumption wins and Wahlert defeats CPU, Marion won't even make the wild card pool. If Assumption wins and Wahlert loses, Marion goes in the pool but won't have a chance points-wise.

If Carlisle loses close to Norwalk (by less than a touchdown), they have a great chance to make it in.

If Decorah beats Independence by at least 12, they're guaranteed a wild card (given an Assumption win).

Heelan needs to blow out Spirit Lake and hope for either a tight game for Decorah or a big margin in the Norwalk-Carlisle game.

Here's kind of what we're looking at:
  • If Decorah wins by 17 or more, they'll have 67 points/9.57 differential. A 10-point win makes it 60/8.57, and keeps them ahead of Oskaloosa. A 9-point win keeps them ahead of Ballard. A 1-point win is 51/7.29.
  • A 17-point win by Heelan gives them 61 points/8.71. A 16-point win guarantees them to stay above Oskaloosa, and a 15-point win means Ballard can't catch them. A 1-point win is 45/6.43.
  • Oskaloosa could reach 59 points/8.43 differential with a 17-point win over West Burlington/ND. That margin would also guarantee that they stay above Ballard. A 1-point win is 43/6.14.
  • A 17-point win by Ballard gives them 58/8.29. A win by 12 means Winterset can't catch them. A 1-point win gives them 42/6.00.
  • If Winterset wins by 17, they'll have 52/7.43.
  • If Carlisle loses by 1, Decorah could tie them with a 17-point win, meaning they'd be the two wild cards. If Carlisle loses by 6 or less, they'd stay ahead of Heelan. A loss by no more than 8 keeps them ahead of Oskaloosa.
  • If Norwalk loses by more than 1, big wins by Decorah and Heelan would keep them out of the wild card. If they lose by less than 3 Oskaloosa can't catch them, and if it's less than 4 they stay ahead of Ballard.
  • If Marion happens to get in (a loss plus a Wahlert loss), with a 1-point loss to Assumption they are at 52/7.43. A win by Decorah of more than 2 keeps them ahead, while a loss by Carlisle by less than 16 (or a Norwalk loss by less than 10) would keep them ahead of Marion as well. Not to mention a Heelan win by 9 or an Oskaloosa win by 11 ... yeah, Marion has no shot at a wild card unless there's a TON of upsets.
So it really looks like it's Decorah, then Carlisle if they lose close and Heelan if the Carlisle-Norwalk game is decided by more than a touchdown. Oskaloosa and Ballard probably need some upset losses by Heelan or Decorah plus a Carlisle-Norwalk blowout to have much of a chance (and if Norwalk wins, putting Carlisle in the wild card pool, Ballard gets knocked out of that anyway).

So Heelan fans will be big Algona fans, and even bigger Carlisle fans. Well, Carlisle is at home, and looks to have had the more impressive results up to this point.

What is the tiebreaker criteria that decides which district champion hosts a quarterfinal game?

DUBUQUE WAHLERT is out except for wild card consideration; they can't catch West Delaware in points.

Wahlert wins by 17 (+51)
West Delaware loses by 17 (+50)
Marion loses by 4 or more (+49 or fewer)

...then Wahlert is in as runner-up. Granted, I doubt a winless Maquoketa team will beat WD, let alone by 17+, but it remains a remote possibility.

So does Wahlert go by Dubuque Wahlert and does Assumption go by Davenport Assumption? What about Xavier? Do they go by Cedar Rapids Xavier?

Just trying to get a definitive alphabetical list.

If the predicted outcomes from BC Moore are used the wild card picture looks like Decorah and Oskaloosa.

Here is my math:
Decorah wins by 17. total 67 BC Moore +19.34
Oskaloosa wins by 17 total 59 BC Moore +24.3
Heelan wins by 9 total 53 BC Moore +9.86
Norwalk loses by 6 total 56 BC Moore -6.59
Ballard wins by 17 total 58 BC Moore +19.95

I think 59 points will be the minimum to get a wild card spot.

Are the wild card teams guaranteed to play a #1 seed in the first round?

It could be a wild night Friday!

Reactions: IowaHSFootballFan
So does Wahlert go by Dubuque Wahlert and does Assumption go by Davenport Assumption? What about Xavier? Do they go by Cedar Rapids Xavier?

Just trying to get a definitive alphabetical list.

Assumption, Davenport
Wahlert Catholic, Dubuque
Xavier, Cedar Rapids

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. I can’t think of any others off of the top of my head but I’m sure there are. Err wait, is it Heelan, Sioux City?

Wahlert wins by 17 (+51)
West Delaware loses by 17 (+50)
Marion loses by 4 or more (+49 or fewer)

...then Wahlert is in as runner-up. Granted, I doubt a winless Maquoketa team will beat WD, let alone by 17+, but it remains a remote possibility.

Ah, good catch. I was focused on the fact that Marion gets eliminated from the wild card if Wahlert is also in there, but if you have Assumption at 6-1 and the other three at 5-2, the points could line up that way to find the runner-up.

And what a turn of events it would be to have Maquoketa blow out West Delaware. Still, it remains possible, for some values of possible. :)

Last edited:
Assumption, Davenport
Wahlert Catholic, Dubuque
Xavier, Cedar Rapids

In general, they use city or school district names for alphabetizing public schools, but the name of the school for parochials. I do know Xavier is always guaranteed home field when it's reverse alphabet, but need to have a higher finish to host during regular order years, like this one.

You can always go to QuikStats, sort by class, and then use the drop-down menu for the schools. They're alphabetized properly on there (I'm pretty sure it's right, anyway).

If the predicted outcomes from BC Moore are used the wild card picture looks like Decorah and Oskaloosa.

Here is my math:
Decorah wins by 17. total 67 BC Moore +19.34
Oskaloosa wins by 17 total 59 BC Moore +24.3
Heelan wins by 9 total 53 BC Moore +9.86
Norwalk loses by 6 total 56 BC Moore -6.59
Ballard wins by 17 total 58 BC Moore +19.95

I think 59 points will be the minimum to get a wild card spot.

Are the wild card teams guaranteed to play a #1 seed in the first round?

It could be a wild night Friday!

Remember too, if Norwalk loses and is in the wild card pool, it doesn't matter what Ballard does. Since Ballard lost to Norwalk in non-district play, they'd be eliminated as a wild card if they both ended up 5-2.

This is interesting stuff, though. Oskaloosa should win big; Ballard will probably win fairly big; I actually think a motivated Heelan team is going to show up against Spirit Lake, but who knows (if they can win by 16 Osky can't catch them); it's hard to say how Indee will do against Decorah, as the Mustangs have occasionally scored a lot this year, but I think Decorah probably wins by at least 10 (which gives them 60 points in the differential). All signs point to a close Carlisle-Norwalk game, which could help the loser (especially if it's Carlisle).

As far as wild cards vs runners up goes, we haven't seen that yet, but the postseason manual actually mentions that possibility (noting that if a runner up plays a wild card in the first round, the runner up would host). So it's not set in stone that wild cards have to play district champs.

Reactions: Cyclone1968
If you pin map all the schools, there is one certainty for the First Round, provided West Delaware wins their district...they will host Waverly-Shell Rock unless Decorah makes it as a wild card. In which case, Decorah will play at West Delaware and Waverly-Shell Rock could end up with Webster City.

So is Heelan hoping for a Carisle win or loss ????

Heelan wants Carlisle to win and take the runner up spot, and beat Norwalk by enough points to allow Heelan to pass them.

There's a lot of variables here:
  • Decorah can get to 67 points with a 17-point win over Independence. A 10-point win puts them at 60; a 7-point win at 57.
  • Heelan can get to 61 points with a 17-point win over Spirit Lake; a 10-point win is 54, a 7-point win is 51.
  • Oskaloosa can reach 59 points with a 17-point win over West Burlington; a 10-point win gets them to 52.
Then there's Carlisle-Norwalk:
  • If Carlisle wins by 1, Norwalk is at 61 points. If Carlisle wins by 7, Norwalk falls to 55 points; by 10, and its 52.
  • If Norwalk wins by 6 or less, Carlisle is guaranteed one of the wild card spots, as they'd have 62 points at worst. A 10-point Norwalk win takes Carlisle to 58.

Possible range of points for the wild-card pool:
  • CARLISLE could range from 67 (1-point loss) to 51 (lose by 17 or more)
  • DECORAH could range from 67 (17-point win) to 51 (1-point win)
  • HEELAN could range from 61 (17-point win) to 45 (1-point win)
  • NORWALK could range from 61 (1-point loss) to 45 (17-point loss)
  • OSKALOOSA could range from 59 (17-point win) to 43 (1-point win)
  • BALLARD doesn't have much of a chance unless some of these guys lose, but their range is 58-42.
I think Decorah will win by 10 points or more, so it's 60+ for them.
I expect Osky to win big, so give them 59 points.
That means Heelan has to win by at least 16 (to get to 60) PLUS have Norwalk lose by at least 2, or Carlisle lose by 9 or more. Obviously, if Decorah gets upset or has a closer victory, that gives Heelan a little more wiggle room.

(The other avenue for Heelan is Spencer losing to Algona, of course.)

The only other variable is Marion @ Assumption. If Marion pulls the upset then it's Assumption and one more.

I think Decorah has the best shot. Everyone else should be rooting for Assumption on Thursday.

Yep. I am going on the assumption (ha, get it?) that Assumption wins Thursday. If Marion wins, they win the district, West Delaware is the runner up, and Assumption is one wild card.

If Carlisle wins, or loses by 6 or less, they are in as the runner up (by winning) or a wild card (with a close loss).

Everybody else wants Assumption to win Thursday and Carlisle to either win, or lose by a lot. Decorah has the next best shot (winning by 12 puts them ahead of everybody except Assumption and possibly Carlisle).

My best guess for first round matchups are

Spencer @ Harlan
Glenwood @ SBL

Webster City @ WSR
Oskaloosa @ DCG

Decorah @ West Delaware
Assumption @ Xavier

Washington @ Pella
Carlisle @ Solon

This is assuming that Heelan does not beat Spirit Lake by the full 17 (which could happen) and that Carlisle and Assumption win this week. If Heelan wins by 17 then I think that they get in and it would look something like this.

Heelan @ Harlan
Spencer @ Glenwood

Webster City @ SBL
Carlisle @DCG

Assumption @ Xavier
Decorah @ West Delaware

Washington @ Pella
WSR @ Solon

If Marion would win I would say it would be something like this.

Spencer @ Harlan
Glenwood @ SBL

Carlisle @ DCG
Webster City @ WSR

Decorah @ Marion
Assumption @ Xavier

Washington @ Pella
West Delaware @ Solon

I would say that Carlisle and Norwalk are pretty interchangeable for these.

My best guess for first round matchups are

Spencer @ Harlan
Glenwood @ SBL

Webster City @ WSR
Oskaloosa @ DCG

Decorah @ West Delaware
Assumption @ Xavier

Washington @ Pella
Carlisle @ Solon

This is assuming that Heelan does not beat Spirit Lake by the full 17 (which could happen) and that Carlisle and Assumption win this week. If Heelan wins by 17 then I think that they get in and it would look something like this.

Heelan @ Harlan
Spencer @ Glenwood

Webster City @ SBL
Carlisle @DCG

Assumption @ Xavier
Decorah @ West Delaware

Washington @ Pella
WSR @ Solon

If Marion would win I would say it would be something like this.

Spencer @ Harlan
Glenwood @ SBL

Carlisle @ DCG
Webster City @ WSR

Decorah @ Marion
Assumption @ Xavier

Washington @ Pella
West Delaware @ Solon

I would say that Carlisle and Norwalk are pretty interchangeable for these.
Interesting, you think Waverly would get sent West?

Okay, I don't know why I'm spending so much time thinking about possible matchups, but ... It's a sickness. And the only cure, is MORE COWBELL or something.

(I also want to thank you all for not pointing out my recent glaring mistake regarding Ballard/Norwalk/Carlisle ... It's Carlisle that would knock Ballard out of the wild card pool if they were both in, not Norwalk. I had it right originally and then reversed it in my head for some reason. Anyway, I appreciate that you all didn't point and laugh at me.)

Some things that are pretty much locks:
  • Glenwood will be at SBL. Book it.
  • West Delaware will host Decorah (if they get in) or Waverly-Shell Rock (if Decorah's out). I personally think this is true even if West Delaware doesn't win D-4.
  • Assumption will travel to either Solon or Xavier.
  • Norwalk or Carlisle will play at Dallas Center-Grimes.
  • If Heelan gets in, they will go to Harlan.
Some things I feel fairly certain about, but can't really trust the IHSAA (and if Marion wins Thursday, giving us three district champs in the Cedar Rapids/Marion/Solon area, who knows):
  • Washington traveling to Pella or Xavier are the only things that make sense. I suppose Carlisle may be an option, if WSR ends up at Solon ...
  • If Oskaloosa gets a wild card, I don't know why they'd go anywhere but Pella. I know they already played, but it's a gimme geographically (and the state paired them last year, so you know they're willing).
Then we get into variables ...
  • Spencer likely goes to Harlan, unless Heelan gets in, then they'll probably play Webster City.
  • WSR is kind of the "wild card" runner up; if Decorah gets in, they could play Webster City. Or they might get sent to Solon (it's a straight shot down the Avenue of the Saints). Or they go yo Marion, if the Indians win D-4.
  • If Norwalk and Carlisle both get in, one will play DC-G; the other could play Webster City, or even Harlan, maybe, depending on the other wild card team.
The interesting question is how the brackets will look. If they pair WSR-Webster City, does that get bracketed with Decorah-WD on the east side (which also sets up a potential Xavier-Solon second round game)? Or does it go west, which could throw Pella-Washington to the east bracket (and might mean Pella-Solon in the second round)?

However it gets set up, it looks likely there will be some high-stakes matchups in the second round, even before we get to the Dome.

Fun time of year.

Great Analysis, the only thing I disagree with you is with the Osky having to be at Pella, I see them going to DCG if they get in, mainly because they played Pella already, but also because DCG beat Pella, and I think they are more deserving of playing a #3. Plus either way Osky is playing a Little Hawkeye Conference opponent.

The other interesting thing as you mentioned is if WSR plays Webster City does that pairing get sent west or get paired with a West Delaware Decorah matchup.

I could see Osky going to DC-G, perhaps. If the state is serious about geography and short trips, though, they wouldn't pass up Osky-Pella if that choice was out there (similarly Norwalk or Carlisle vs DC-G ... those trips are no-brainers). I also don't know if the IHSAA is going to even take non-district results into account ... everything in the postseason manual talks about district results only, and every 7-0 district record is considered exactly equal. But even the boys in Boone are human and can read score results ...

It would seem weird to send Osky past Pella to play someone in the Des Moines metro, while bringing Washington, say, over to Pella ... but I will never say never. I just know they matched Osky and Pella last year in the first round, even though they played a non-district game, but I guess we'll see.

Also, while I don't really know anything, if it were me I think I'd put a potential WSR-Webster City match in the east bracket. A 2nd round trip between Webster City and Manchester (or even Decorah) sounds better to me than WSR going to SBL (although I haven't done the math). The flip side of that, of course, would be putting Washington-Pella, say, in the west, with a potential Washington trip to DC-G in the 2nd round ... that doesn't seem all that bad to me, either.

But it could go either way, I guess.

Last year there wasn't any good place to send Osky other than Pella, the closest spot probably would have been Xavier, but that would have messed up a lot of other things. I just guess as a football fan I like to see new matchups.

Last year there wasn't any good place to send Osky other than Pella, the closest spot probably would have been Xavier, but that would have messed up a lot of other things. I just guess as a football fan I like to see new matchups.
I think everybody would like to see new/fresh match-ups, in the First Round, at least. Remember though, this is the IHSAA. They care more about ca$h. And a game like Oskaloosa @ Pella, with the success of both and proximity is a guaranteed large gate.

It would be nice if they had a pre-selected bracket draw like they do in wrestling...or seed the whole thing out by points.

I think everybody would like to see new/fresh match-ups, in the First Round, at least. Remember though, this is the IHSAA. They care more about ca$h. And a game like Oskaloosa @ Pella, with the success of both and proximity is a guaranteed large gate.

Another huge factor is that the IHSAA reimburses schools for at least some of their travel costs for the playoffs. It's entirely in the IHSAA's interest to keep travel to a minimum - and Oskaloosa to Pella is about as minimum as it gets. I doubt they'd "shake things up" just to give us fans some different first-round matchups if it was going to cost them out of their pockets.

[/QUOTE]
Remember though, this is the IHSAA. They care more about (their) ca$h.
Never confuse them with caring about anything but their gravy train.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT