ADVERTISEMENT

Openings/Coaching Changes 2019-20

Havent heard a thing. Very quiet. I would assume now that schools are shut down, were going to see a lot of assistants get their shot, as opposed to outside candidates.

Mason City is bringing back John Lee as their coach, he has some success in the early 2000s.

I really don’t know anything about him, his overall career is 10-26 at two jobs that aren’t the easiest North Cedar and Anamosa, although I will say Anamosa came off its best few seasons in program history before he got there. But to be completely Coach Miller didn’t have that great of a record before he came back to Solon so it’ll see how he does.

Reactions: obfuscating
Where was Coach Miller at before Solon? Also, I'm curious to know what happens / or has happened at Eddyville-Blakesburg. Tough area to bring a proven head coach in.

Coach Miller was at a school in Wisconsin I believe Boscobel then he went to MFL MarMac and then Regina.

Alburnett's coach apparently stepping down according to his Twitter. Anyone hear anything on Boone? Muscatine is open as well.

Correct - In 21 years overall — he also coached at Boscobel (Wis.), MFL MarMac and Iowa City Regina — he was 197-52.

Under Miller’s watch, Solon compiled a 190-32 record, winning four consecutive state championships (2007-09 in Class 2A, 2010 in 3A).

Simple math shows he wasn't winning everywhere:
So prior to Solon, Milller was 7-20.

How good was Solon before Miller took over? That's odd that he would have been at three schools in three years winning 7 total games and was still hired at Solon.

It isn't surprising Miller would of been hired at Solon even with a poor coaching record he was the quarterback on a state title team.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Also, something is wrong with those numbers I believe because I think he was at Regina at least a couple years with 5-6 win seasons

5-6 win seasons at a private school in a metro area? I thought that was impossible or the state would make it impossible. :D Sorry I had to. Coach Miller will be missed. Good guy.

Alburnett's coach apparently stepping down according to his Twitter. Anyone hear anything on Boone? Muscatine is open as well.
The Alb job seems to be a revolving door since Carver retired. The coach that just left seems to jump from job to job.

He made it 3 years at Alb (which probably deserves an award actually). Was 5th coach in like 4 years... Word is that he is getting into administration and out of coaching. Stanton on the other hand (who just got Solon job) hasn’t been anywhere for more than 2 years... wonder how long he lasts there.
Not sure why you cant be successfully with football at alburnett as they are in other sports so it not like they don't have the athletes in the school. Revolving door there doesn't make it any easier with no coaching stability. Funny thing is with all the coaches that have been there since Carver I couldn't tell you any of their names that just shows the lack of success since him.

I've heard that Nashua Plainfield hired a Charles City assistant and Rockford hired a Osage assistant but I haven't seen anything confirming this.

Not sure why you cant be successfully with football at alburnett as they are in other sports so it not like they don't have the athletes in the school. Revolving door there doesn't make it any easier with no coaching stability. Funny thing is with all the coaches that have been there since Carver I couldn't tell you any of their names that just shows the lack of success since him.

Thats odd I kinda remember Alburnett being in the playoffs 4 years in a row in the early 2010"s. With one of those seasons ending in a 1 score game at West Branch for a trip to the dome.

But I do agree to some extent that the coaching carousel has hurt the long term stability of the FB program.

Thats odd I kinda remember Alburnett being in the playoffs 4 years in a row in the early 2010"s. With one of those seasons ending in a 1 score game at West Branch for a trip to the dome.

But I do agree to some extent that the coaching carousel has hurt the long term stability of the FB program.

Did Alburnett hire anyone yet?

It is a bad optic for sure.

But with Alburnett's revolving door of coaches since Carver left, the program has a record of 50-46 with a 7-4 record against their biggest rival North Linn. North Linn is a bigger school who most of the time have played in a higher Class. They have had the same coach that entire time with a 43-59 record, falling to Alburnett 7 out of 11 tries. So perhaps having the highest tenured coach doesn't always equal the stronger program.

Alburnett would have been the larger school for most of that time North Linn hasn’t been the larger school for that long and the difference is tiny anyway.

I don't know when North Linn became the smaller school, and I would be surprised that Alburnett is the bigger school most of the time. But the difference is prob small enough not to matter.

North Linn has had a great run of athletes and been very good at most sports lately. Pretty dominating in basketball and baseball. One sport that they have not reached the next level in is football.

The main point is it doesn't seem to matter much how many different coaches wear the head hat at Alburnett they have more than held their own against their rival. If Alburnett was in such disarray from their revolving door of coaches, you would think their rival with stability at coach would have taken more advantage.

I don't know when North Linn became the smaller school, and I would be surprised that Alburnett is the bigger school most of the time. But the difference is prob small enough not to matter.

North Linn has had a great run of athletes and been very good at most sports lately. Pretty dominating in basketball and baseball. One sport that they have not reached the next level in is football.

The main point is it doesn't seem to matter much how many different coaches wear the head hat at Alburnett they have more than held their own against their rival. If Alburnett was in such disarray from their revolving door of coaches, you would think their rival with stability at coach would have taken more advantage.

Why is it everytime someone brings up anything about Alb football the first thing that always comes out is their record against North Linn to defend themselves. Bottom line is they have not been a district contender since Carver left and it has nothing to do with NL.

That’s not true, Chris Evers who I believe followed Carver had them in the playoffs a few times and I believe won 2 district titles.

That’s not true, Chris Evers who I believe followed Carver had them in the playoffs a few times and I believe won 2 district titles.

They Ran Evers right out of town because people on the booster club thought that their kids should play over other kids. Bottom line is Alb has had I believe 3 seasons since 2006 that they have had more than just 5 wins and 2 of the playoff teams were 5-5 overall and made the playoffs simply because back then you automatically took top 4 teams from every district. Their best team since then was prob 2011 when then were 11-1 but haven't come remotely close to that since. Whoever they hire as the new coach better have a thick skin and be ready to deal with parents and rebuild because the last coach they had there has a history of leaving places when the cupboard is bare as very few MS kids in the program. But im sure they will tell you their record against NL.

Here is the list I have of coaching opening/changes and I tried to find previous positions for the new coaches as well

4A

Ames- Kevin Ferguson (SE Polk Assistant, Simpson College Assistant, Norwalk Assistant)

Davenport West- Brandon Krusey (Mason City, Davenport North, Independence, Grundy Center, North Tama)

Des Moines Hoover- Tyrone Tyler (Dowling Assistant, Coach and Played on many semi pro teams)

Des Moines Lincoln- OJ Sinclair (Grandview Assistant, DSM Lincoln Assistant)

Dubuque Hempstead- Jeff Hoerner (Hempstead Assistant)

Fort Dodge- Nik Moser (Fort Dodge Assistant

Muscatine- DJ Hawkins (Muscatine Assistant, Iowa City West Assistant)

Sioux City West- Brandon Holmes (Sioux City West Assistant)

3A

Boone- Chad Klein (Kuemper Head Coach)

Burlington

Clinton- Nate Herrig (Clinton Assistant)

Glibert- Graham Lundt (Ames Assistant, Ankeny Assistant, Akron Westfield Head Coach, Gilbert Assistant)

Harlan- Todd Bladt (Harlan Assistant)

Heelan- Chad Moseman (Heelan Assistant, Morningside Assistant, Lawton Bronson, Sioux City North, River Valley, Exira)

Mason City- John Lee (Former Mason City Head Coach)

Newton- Andy Swedenhjelm (Newton Assistant, Ottumwa Assistant)

Perry- Bryce Pierce (Independence Assistant)

Waterloo East- Regis Baskerville was recommended to the board but they delayed the confirmation of him and also the Head Boys Basketball candidate

2A

Anamosa- Caleb Huss (Anamosa Assistant)

Central Lee- Chuck Banks (Central Lee Assistant, Centerville Assistant)

Clarke- Jared Gaskill (Clarke Assistant)

Eddyville Blakesburg Fremont- Ryan Reed

Kuemper

Okoboji- Nick Plugger (Okoboji Assistant)

Roland Story- Matt Finn (Osage Head Coach, West Delaware Assistant, East Buc Head Coach)

Saydel- Austin Stubbs

Solon- Lucas Stanton (Anamosa, Wahlert Assistant, North Cedar Head, Mount Vernon Assistant)

1A

Clarion Goldfield Dows- Tim Morrison (Grand Valley State Offensive Line Coach)

Eagle Grove- Paul Hansch (Former Clarion Goldfield)

East Marshall

Mount Ayr Derek Lambert is returning for another year

MVAO-COU- Justin Kahl

Osage- Torian Wolf (Rockford)

A

Alburnett

BCLUW- Dustin Grothoff (BCLUW Assistant)

Manson NW Webster- Marty Hart

Nashua Plainfield- Andrew Christensen (Charles City Assistant, North Tama Assistant)

Nodaway Valley- Duane Matthess (Clarke, CPU Assistant, Indepence Assistant, Tipton Assistant)

North Tama- Taylor Wurth (AP Assistant)

St. Albert- Jake Driver (St. Albert Assistant)

Wayne

8man

CAM- Barry Bower (CAM Assistant, Red Oak, Durant)

Central Elkader

Clarksville- Bob Goeller

East Union- Tony Neubauer

Glidden Ralston- Cole Corson ( Glidden Ralston Assistant)

Griswold- Chase Wallace (Griswold Assistant)

Murray

Rockford- Clay Eustice (Osage Assistant)

West Bend Mallard

I guess also technically Mark Sanger is taking over for Bob Sanger at West Hancock, but Mark has been in charge for a couple of years as his father battled cancer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT