ADVERTISEMENT

Openings/Coaching Changes 2019-20

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
This is probably the most popular thread throughout the off season. The season isn't over yet, but the Davenport West coach has already announced that he will not return next year, so job #1 for this year.

Davenport West

The article the QC Times put out talked about how as a high school program they are starting to see more success at the JV and freshman levels so this could be a program that could see a bit of a resurgence, it is one of the biggest schools in the state and was a big time power back in the day.

I think it'll be interesting to see who Heelan hires, that is still a very attractive job that could have a ton of success. I still Jansen was a good coach, but maybe didn't fit as well as he did in the past.

I think it'll be interesting to see who Heelan hires, that is still a very attractive job that could have a ton of success. I still Jansen was a good coach, but maybe didn't fit as well as he did in the past.
Was/Is he a teacher in the building? High Quality job with High expectations. Football offseason changes are generally a very popular topic on here and creates a little excitement in the offseason.

Was/Is he a teacher in the building? High Quality job with High expectations. Football offseason changes are generally a very popular topic on here and creates a little excitement in the offseason.
No, Jansen was not a teacher in buildings. He has a business of his own.

Heelan is a lot like Michigan. They really want to hire a "Heelan Man". Outsiders aren't super welcome there. The previous head coach was on staff for 20+ years and the community never really bought in from the start. If I'm not mistaken there is only 1 coach on staff that works in the school, finding a head coach that will be in the building would be a huge asset to that program.

Reactions: franky1967
Heelan is a lot like Michigan. They really want to hire a "Heelan Man". Outsiders aren't super welcome there. The previous head coach was on staff for 20+ years and the community never really bought in from the start. If I'm not mistaken there is only 1 coach on staff that works in the school, finding a head coach that will be in the building would be a huge asset to that program.
Not to make this thread all about Heelan, but is this common among schools? Not having coaches who are in the building as part of the school staff in some form or fashion?

I would say that it is becoming more and more common each year. Teachers many times have coached for many years and multiple sports give up contracts. No current or new teachers want or can coach so they open it up to the outside and that's the only way to fill positions. It puts those coaches at a disadvantage often when they're not in the building. Yet it also allows the kids to work with different people. If a kid struggles with a teacher or vice versa and then they have a coach/player relationship, it's doomed from the start.

There are some schools that do put more emphasis on hiring teachers that are coaches, so don't I am not saying that a school should overlook a really good teaching candidate because they don't coach, but I have always felt that if you have 2 candidates that are more or less equal and one is willing to coach (or sponsor fine arts) and the other isn't then you hire the one who will coach.

There are some schools that do put more emphasis on hiring teachers that are coaches, so don't I am not saying that a school should overlook a really good teaching candidate because they don't coach, but I have always felt that if you have 2 candidates that are more or less equal and one is willing to coach (or sponsor fine arts) and the other isn't then you hire the one who will coach.

No school will openly admit to that though!!! :)

Reactions: hawxs22
Main reason while school hired teacher to become coach. Is for they can hand them the failing grade which students are unable to play. Like your failing math you won't be able to play until that grade gets to a D+ or a C- ineligible player.

In my opinion you have to have coaches in the building. If you're trying to build a successful program it helps to be able to see you kids everyday. This helps in terms of academics, behavior, and recruiting kids to your program. The more they know/trust you, the more they will do for you.

Coach McDermott retired from being superintendent at North Tama over 10 years ago, so I would guess he is in his late 60s, it said in the tweet that he was stepping down for family and health reasons.

I know I had heard that when he took the job two years ago he really didn't want the job, but after their top candidate took a different job he knew he had to for the kids.

This would be a shock if true as coach D has done a great job of resurrecting that program again. I guess if their was a right time to step away it would be now with new district assignments taking place next year and an enrollment in the 8 man classification, even thou they will continue to play 11 man. It will be interesting to see where they get sent next year as I believe that GMG has stated they are going 8 man and had also heard Hudson and maybe one other in that district would go back up to 1A. They lost a big and athletic senior class also.

I'm really wondering if there will be many openings this year. Most years I can almost make a list of schools that I think will open up and usually 75% of them do. I look for schools that haven't had any recent success and a coach that has been there 3-5 years or longer and have had a 2-7 record or worse. This year I don't see many schools that fit that description I think with more non district games fewer schools are having the 2-7 or worse seasons.

I'm really wondering if there will be many openings this year. Most years I can almost make a list of schools that I think will open up and usually 75% of them do. I look for schools that haven't had any recent success and a coach that has been there 3-5 years or longer and have had a 2-7 record or worse. This year I don't see many schools that fit that description I think with more non district games fewer schools are having the 2-7 or worse seasons.
Not disagreeing at all with what your saying, as it could very well be true. BUT.....It is also a very short window for schools from the end of the season-thanksgiving break-Christmas Break. Most schools are only in session 3 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. I think the slow nature is due to timing right now. Whether it picks up after Christmas break is yet to be seen.

I know what your saying, I'm not even referring to the time when they come out, I just wonder if this is the year that we only see 10-15 jobs compared to the 30+ we have been seeing the past few years. I suppose it depends on how parents, community members, administrations, etc are to work with in many situations.

Dubuque Senior

actually now the posting on Teach Iowa says Hempstead instead.

Last edited:
I think if anyone looks at what Mitch Moore has done in 1 year at Roosevelt, added with a new stadium that will be a huge upgrade for DMPS, and the (at some point im hopeful) idea that an additional class or some form of free and reduced lunch indicator is used to determine classification, I think the DSM Lincoln job would be one to keep an eye on. I completely understand the inherent disadvantages that DMPS have, but I do think that Roosevelt has provided a framework for how to turn around a program and to do it quickly.

Lincoln has had success in the past, I really think it is possible to have success at Roosevelt, East and Lincoln. North and Hoover I am not so sure.

West Bend Mallard, one of the schools with a great tradition in the state, I don't know if the talent is still there though.

Eagle Grove is also posted officially. Some of the jobs that have been mentioned as open, aren't posted. At least from what I have seen.

I was just about to post it, I still think that job has potential, I would say though that the school and town aren't what they used to be. Newton used to be a 4A power year after year. Maytag closing hurt, along with other things happening.

Saydel

Clarion Goldfield Dows
Starting to see some jobs really open up a little, but as someone said early in this thread, most of these jobs are open on a regular basis. Very few of these jobs have seen sustained success.

Running tally by class (so far):

4A: Sioux City West, Des Moines Lincoln, Dubuque Hempstead

3A: Newton, Sioux City Heelan

2A: Clarion-Goldfield-Dows, Saydel

1A: Eagle Grove

A: North Tama

8-man: Griswold, West Bend-Mallard, CAM, Clarksville, Glidden-Ralston

Which of these are the best jobs, and why?? Any leads or hires yet for any of the above?? Any rumors swirling around on positions that may open up in the near future for next year??

Reactions: IGo42
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT