ADVERTISEMENT

Openings/Coaching Changes 2019-20

4A: Lincoln
3A: Heelan
2A: CGD
8: CAM

Of the classes with multiple openings, these are the best in my opinion. Really CAM is probably the best from 2A down to 8 man, as they have been really strong as of late and return a ton of talented players

4A: Lincoln
3A: Heelan
2A: CGD
8: CAM

Of the classes with multiple openings, these are the best in my opinion. Really CAM is probably the best from 2A down to 8 man, as they have been really strong as of late and return a ton of talented players

JayHawkin you really think Lincoln is the best job in 4A? Over Hempstead & Clinton?? It's hard for me to put any DMPS over any other jobs.

Clinton is in 3A now, and should stay there. I agree with you that Hempstead is probably the best job in 4A, but Lincoln with the right could be very successful, similar situation to Roosevelt.

Clinton is in 3A now, and should stay there. I agree with you that Hempstead is probably the best job in 4A, but Lincoln with the right could be very successful, similar situation to Roosevelt.

Ah I didn't realize Clinton dropped down... They had a former Div 1 college head coach as their head coach... Wonder what happened there.

JayHawkin you really think Lincoln is the best job in 4A? Over Hempstead & Clinton?? It's hard for me to put any DMPS over any other jobs.
Hempstead and Lincoln both have their flaws for sure, and I could be sold either way tbh. I just saw what a new coach in, year 1, did at DM Roosevelt. Turnarounds at some of the DMPS are realistic. New stadium coming, a blueprint for winning, and I do think what is going on with the WDM suburbs (now that the new school in Waukee will have a ripple effect on the western side) will all play a part in the future success of the CIML. All the athletes that open enroll to Waukee, ADM, DCG, etc will now have a shiny new choice. All of those WDM schools (except Dowling) will have a little bit more of a depleted talent pool. Lincoln could be a diamond or a lemon, depending on your perspective.

Reactions: hawxs22
Central Elkader has a job posted for Co-Head Coach, not sure if that is what they currently have and one of them is leaving, or what the deal is. Not sure why it needs to be a co-head coach either.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Central Elkader has a job posted for Co-Head Coach, not sure if that is what they currently have and one of them is leaving, or what the deal is. Not sure why it needs to be a co-head coach either.

I believe that Central Elkader has decided to go away from their current Co-Head Coaching assignment and are going back to a single head coach. They may hire one of the previous coaches or go a different direction all together. Coach Wilwert had success in the last decade and I believe made the quarterfinals or semifinals a couple different years. Low numbers in football have taken their toll at Elkader Central.

I believe your correct, the posting on teach Iowa was changed. Central Elkader is like almost every school district in NE Iowa, used to be small 2A big 1A range, but with the change in dairy industry and farming in general, almost all are class A or 8 man, I think you will see another round of consolidations in this area in the next 5 or so years.

Reactions: hawxs22 and IGo42
In the posting, I find it odd that they would be pushing for interviews in the next 3 weeks but were very clear that there are not any teaching openings. Almost get the feeling that the hire for that job will come from within, or will be a non teacher.

You would think Coach Bladts son has the inside track for that job.

Also the St Albert coach resigned.

Harlan open...
I think that is truly a formality. Todd Bladt will be the next HFC at Harlan

St. Albert has had some turnover the last few years. They return almost everyone on Defense for next year. That would be a very attractive small school job for someone.

I wonder if St. Albert doesn't want to financially back athletics very well, I know the previous coach mentioned something about that when he quit a few years ago, with no place to practice, etc.

I wonder if St. Albert doesn't want to financially back athletics very well, I know the previous coach mentioned something about that when he quit a few years ago, with no place to practice, etc.

PNation and others... Interested to see your thoughts at ranking all the open jobs in our state. From best to worst, I have an ideal on the worst job open right now being Saydel but interested in what you all think.

That's a hard question to answer because I think that there are different things to look at. Are you looking for a job where you can win right away? A ton of tradition? Great Facilities? Potential to build a powerhouse? Community and Administrative Support? I can usually answer the possibility of winning right away, facilities, and tradition outside of that, only people familiar with the schools truly know what they are getting. You mention Saydel, they have decent facilities, and knowing a few people that are connected to the school they support their teams. However, the school often gets their top athletes poached to go to Ankeny, and other 4A schools in the area. If you could get a group of people (probably more then just a new football coach) in there to keep the kids they have they could probably build a decent program. I think that it is also tough to compare 8 man to 11 man, really also a 4A school to the other 11 man classes. But here is what I came up with again not knowing much about most of these schools.

For 8 man I went with this
CAM
Glidden Ralston
Clarksville
West Bend Mallard
Griswold
Central Elkader

CAM returns quite a bit from a good playoff team last year, should be an attractive job to an 8 man coach, Glidden Ralston has a decent tradition and seems to have nice participation for a school as small as they are. Clarksville is sort of a wildcard playing with North Butler last year, I do know that the Clarksville kids were some of the main contributors so they could be good. West Bend Mallard is one of the schools in Iowa with the most tradition of any, but have struggled recently, however I don't think it is a dead end job. Griswold and Central Elkader have struggled with numbers lately especially Central Elkader, Griswold seemed to pretty young, but their youngest player was a senior. Central Elkader has had talent in the past, but when the cupboard is bare it is really bare.

For 11 man jobs I went with this

Harlan
Gilbert
Hempstead
Fort Dodge
DSM Lincoln
Heelan
Newton
St. Albert
North Tama
Clarion Goldfield Dows
Northwest Webster
Davenport West
Clinton
Saydel
Eagle Grove
Sioux City West

I went with Harlan first here because of the tradition they have in all sports, not just football, was Coach Bladt an amazing coach? Yes, but I think it is set up for most quality football coaches to be successful there. Gilbert is based upon potential, I think with the right coach they could become a power, as mentioned early the way the posting was written you wonder if they want an in house candidate. Hempstead, Fort Dodge and Lincoln I see as similar 4A jobs. Hempstead is on the good side of Dubuque with great potential, Fort Dodge has been good the last few years, but I think takes a coach with a great plan or things can turn there, and Lincoln is a job that you can have success, but again have to be the right person. Heelan is a job that 5 or so years ago probably would of been #1 or 2 on the list but has fallen off, it will be interesting to see who gets that job. Newton is an old power, and has years where they have a great class but haven't been consistent recently, again could be a really good job. St. Albert is a job that I don't know what to do with, great tradition, and should have quality kids, but it seems like more and more they kind of have to rebuild every 3 years or so where they used to just reload, and there is a question of facilities. North Tama is a small school with a small salary, but they do take pride in the football program, and other than a terrible hire after their state title team back in 2010 they have been good the last 20 years. Clarion Goldfield and Northwest Webster I see as similar jobs, neither have been great, but neither I see as a dead end job. Davenport West used to be a power back in the day. They are a big 4A school, but haven't been able to put things together, with the right coach they might become competitive though. Clinton has had good players go through there, but overall I see it being a difficult job, but being in 3A should help though. Saydel is a hard job for reasons I mentioned above, but like I said do have decent facilites. Eagle Grove has really only been good for 2 years in the last 50 years so I see that as a tough job that wasn't even able to play varsity two years ago. Finally Sioux City West has probably been the worst 4A program for a while now, and while it has some advantages over a job like Eagle Grove, they are playing teams like Valley, Ankeny Centennial, and Dowling. Whereas Eagle Grove is playing teams where if things turned they could be successful.

This is only my opinion and there are many different ways you can look at a job.

Just seen pictures with the head coach and their recruit that is going to Iowa, seemed like they were close.

I think that is truly a formality. Todd Bladt will be the next HFC at Harlan

St. Albert has had some turnover the last few years. They return almost everyone on Defense for next year. That would be a very attractive small school job for someone.

I believe the Saint Albert position has been filled as the local watering home murmurs have told me.

Would appreciate to hear the names of the coaches who have been hired by these schools. Any moment on DM Lincoln, Gilbert?

Gilbert hired from within is what I'm hearing...

What's going on with Hempstead or DM Hoover?

Coach Matthewson is the odds on favorite to be the next head coach at Des Moines Hoover.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT