ADVERTISEMENT

oh gheeeeeyter...

I just don’t get it. what do people not understand about complying with an order being directed at them with someone holding a gun on them?
Don’t know. They think they can argue their case and the cops will let them go. If they had any sense they would comply, shut the F up and call their lawyer. Play it smart and you might get off or get a generous plea deal. Stupid shit doesn’t help your case.

If it's the police, and not the parents, who are teaching a young person what the word no means, their future ain't so bright.
I have no idea how many times I've repeated this to shitty parents.
Truth. I'm not sure the word 'parents' is applicable anymore... sperm/egg donor is more apropos. My daughter is raising her 4 kids like I raised her and her brother, and the other couples in their circle consider her more like a jail warden. No iPhones, no tech creep, home schooling, and they are turning out wonderfully. I'm really proud of how she is resisting the pressure from other adults w/ children who have caved into social norms.

Case in point: one 11yo kid with a iPhone at their school during lunch last year air dropped a video of 2 guys having sex to about 25 kids around him. How about THAT example for what might be their first experience seeing something sexual? I honestly think giving your kid a iPhone is about the same as a loaded handgun... maybe worse. o_O

Truth. I'm not sure the word 'parents' is applicable anymore... sperm/egg donor is more apropos. My daughter is raising her 4 kids like I raised her and her brother, and the other couples in their circle consider her more like a jail warden. No iPhones, no tech creep, home schooling, and they are turning out wonderfully. I'm really proud of how she is resisting the pressure from other adults w/ children who have caved into social norms.

Case in point: one 11yo kid with a iPhone at their school during lunch last year air dropped a video of 2 guys having sex to about 25 kids around him. How about THAT example for what might be their first experience seeing something sexual? I honestly think giving your kid a iPhone is about the same as a loaded handgun... maybe worse. o_O
Egg/Sperm Doning Enabler, iyam

I'm not sure what use a kid has for a smartphone before they are in HS. Maybe not until they graduate HS. Of course, I'd be looked at like an ogre for suggesting that to my friends with kids.

I think I am lucky to have grown up in a previous era. I know my parents are lucky to have raised us before the era of smartphones and pervasive interwebz.

For education I think the only reasonable options today would be home schooling or a Christian school that had it's shit together.

I'm not sure what use a kid has for a smartphone before they are in HS. Maybe not until they graduate HS. Of course, I'd be looked at like an ogre for suggesting that to my friends with kids.

I think I am lucky to have grown up in a previous era. I know my parents are lucky to have raised us before the era of smartphones and pervasive interwebz.

For education I think the only reasonable options today would be home schooling or a Christian school that had it's shit together.
My SIL gave her daughter and son an iPhone when they were like 12yo... son has turned out very well (18 now) but the girl has had substance abuse issues, non-compliant stuff, argumentative, etc... and they have spent thousands on therapy.
She now says she regrets giving them iPhones b/c many of these issues started with text bullying, etc... then quickly pivots and tries to justify those actions b/c said daughter needed a method to contact them for activity scheduling and such... and that schools no longer allow kids to come to the office to make a phone call. I find that hard to believe, but she insisted they can't do so and the staff just tells the kid to find someone with a cell phone if they don't have one.
For those of you with HS kids... is this true? Do schools not allow a student to call a parent from the office if needed? Seems unbelievable, but its been quite a while since I dealt with this.

My SIL gave her daughter and son an iPhone when they were like 12yo... son has turned out very well (18 now) but the girl has had substance abuse issues, non-compliant stuff, argumentative, etc... and they have spent thousands on therapy.
She now says she regrets giving them iPhones b/c many of these issues started with text bullying, etc... then quickly pivots and tries to justify those actions b/c said daughter needed a method to contact them for activity scheduling and such... and that schools no longer allow kids to come to the office to make a phone call. I find that hard to believe, but she insisted they can't do so and the staff just tells the kid to find someone with a cell phone if they don't have one.
For those of you with HS kids... is this true? Do schools not allow a student to call a parent from the office if needed? Seems unbelievable, but its been quite a while since I dealt with this.

If my kids call me from school, it's always from a school phone. They aren't allowed to use their phone for stuff like that.

If they finish their work, sometimes (rarely) they'll let kids watch videos on their phones if they have headsets.

I bought my kids phones but we used an app that limited when they could use them. Setting up the times that their phones could access the internet was easy and I could block any app that I wanted to. It also blocked certain websites "out of the box" (based on a rating system) and I could add other websites to the "do not allow" list. If they had a legit purpose to use the phone outside of those time frames, I could temporarily unpause the block for an allotted time.

It's just a matter of giving a shit imho.

I've not seen the HS office not allow my kids to use their phone.

I've not seen the HS office not allow my kids to use their phone.
I didn't think she was correct (honest?) about this... and kudos to you for getting the blocking app on your kids phone... but you know kids, and they will work their butts off trying to get around parental controls. This kid that sent out the gay sex video figured out how to bypass the blocking app his 'parents' had set up.

This school system my grandkids went to last year is one of the highest rated in Utah... but the problem isn't the school necessarily, or the teachers... it's the other kids and/or their fvcking parents! At least homeschooling allows her to control what kids she wants them to be around. Sad state of affairs...

I didn't think she was correct (honest?) about this... and kudos to you for getting the blocking app on your kids phone... but you know kids, and they will work their butts off trying to get around parental controls. This kid that sent out the gay sex video figured out how to bypass the blocking app his 'parents' had set up.

This school system my grandkids went to last year is one of the highest rated in Utah... but the problem isn't the school necessarily, or the teachers... it's the other kids and/or their fvcking parents! At least homeschooling allows her to control what kids she wants them to be around. Sad state of affairs...
My kids' school also has a data blocker they use to hinder kids' ability to use their phone.

Reactions: derek_tiger
My kids' school also has a data blocker they use to hinder kids' ability to use their phone.
That's good, but I started looking into this and read where cell-phone jammers are illegal for use anywhere... (not sure if that is what you mean by a data-blocker). One teacher bought one for his classroom and 3 days later Verizon shows up and tells the school someone is screwing up their network.

Teacher would up getting suspended for 5 days. I had no idea you couldn't jam signals to keep kids off their phones in school. Seems logical to me to do so... I think I heard where some classes have a wall with cell phone pockets where the kids have to put their phones when they come into class... I guess that would work if they were all on silent.

Cell Jamming

That's good, but I started looking into this and read where cell-phone jammers are illegal for use anywhere... (not sure if that is what you mean by a data-blocker). One teacher bought one for his classroom and 3 days later Verizon shows up and tells the school someone is screwing up their network.

Teacher would up getting suspended for 5 days. I had no idea you couldn't jam signals to keep kids off their phones in school. Seems logical to me to do so... I think I heard where some classes have a wall with cell phone pockets where the kids have to put their phones when they come into class... I guess that would work if they were all on silent.

Cell Jamming
I think collecting cell phones at the beginning of class is the better alternative.

Reactions: Reasoned
I think collecting cell phones at the beginning of class is the better alternative.
I know a teacher here and that's what she started doing. She has a thing at the door with pockets where they can drop their phones on the way in and pick them up on the way out.

Reactions: dhetiger

Cell Jamming

Our schools use those pockets.

And I believe the blocking app we use works. It's $100 per year and I even get notified if bad or threatening language is used in apps or internet searches. Even if their friends text (or message via app) bad words, I get notified.

I even have to modify it from time to time to allow them to use a legit website or app.

Reactions: derek_tiger
Our schools use those pockets.
And I believe the blocking app we use works. It's $100 per year and I even get notified if bad or threatening language is used in apps or internet searches. Even if their friends text (or message via app) bad words, I get notified.
I even have to modify it from time to time to allow them to use a legit website or app.
Yeah... but you're a PARENT and you GAS about what they see / have access to. C'mon... don't put unrealistic expectations on the sperm/egg/enabler ($1 to dhe) donors... they need their kids to have the iPhoneElectronicBabySitterGetAwayFromMe so they can enjoy their lives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT