derek_tiger

Freshman
Dec 20, 2009
For the recently mentioned candidates:

Lanning - $20M
Sarkisian - $15M
Kiffin - undisclosed
Dabo - $60M (but $90M for Alabama)

I'm wondering how many times a coach has come in behind a 'legend' and been successful? Tot did for a bit behind Dye... thoughts?

For the recently mentioned candidates:

Lanning - $20M
Sarkisian - $15M
Kiffin - undisclosed
Dabo - $60M (but $90M for Alabama)

I'm wondering how many times a coach has come in behind a 'legend' and been successful? Tot did for a bit behind Dye... thoughts?
While Bama would be a great job to have, I would not want to be the one to come in after Saban. The pressure will be unbelievable.

It’s also an entirely different world as far as recruits and remaining players thanks to the transfer portal. Players can jump ship whenever, so it’s not the same as 10 years ago when leaving would’ve guaranteed a full cupboard for the next coach (ala Miles in 2005 at LSU)

Expectations are high but the program is in great shape. We may not get the first or second guy on our list (or maybe we will???) but we also aren't going to have to go begging.

Reactions: dustinator
It’s also an entirely different world as far as recruits and remaining players thanks to the transfer portal. Players can jump ship whenever, so it’s not the same as 10 years ago when leaving would’ve guaranteed a full cupboard for the next coach (ala Miles in 2005 at LSU)
Now a coach not only has to recruit HS players, but portal players AND recruit even his OWN players to try to keep them from portal jumping. Worlds gone crazy.

Now a coach not only has to recruit HS players, but portal players AND recruit even his OWN players to try to keep them from portal jumping. Worlds gone crazy.

Coach needs to be a NIL money manager. $ talks and BS walks. Hello yellawood and Apple Inc.

100% agree. And the guy we get may not work out but I like our chances better today than I did in the late 90's and early 00's.
Trying to rack my brain on successful coaches who came in behind legends... damn if I'm drawing a blank.

Trying to rack my brain on successful coaches who came in behind legends... damn if I'm drawing a blank.

Ohio State had a run of very successful coaches but I'm not sure I'd call any of them legends.

Certainly none that I can think of in the modern era to answer your question.

My sources are saying the selection has already been made and Saban had a big role in the selection. Sounds like this has been in play since the Rose bowl maybe before. Apparently the players were told they would have his successor in place within 72 hrs. Impressive if we pull it off that smoothly and make a good choice.

Yeah and although not stated publicly (to my knowledge) one can’t help but wonder if the above (including NIL) had a hand in accelerating his retirement decision.

My sources are saying the selection has already been made and Saban had a big role in the selection. Sounds like this has been in play since the Rose bowl maybe before. Apparently the players were told they would have his successor in place within 72 hrs. Impressive if we pull it off that smoothly and make a good choice.
He told me verbatim in 2021 he wanted to go at least 5 more years. @Tide Broker was present as well.

There are some other factors involved, but I don’t think anyone other than him, Terry, and Byrne knew prior to Sunday.

Reactions: BamaFan1137
He told me verbatim in 2021 he wanted to go at least 5 more years. @Tide Broker was present as well.

There are some other factors involved, but I don’t think anyone other than him, Terry, and Byrne knew prior to Sunday.

Have you heard anything about Miss Terry’s health? I saw some rumor/speculation about that elsewhere, and really hope it’s just BS.

Have you heard anything about Miss Terry’s health? I saw some rumor/speculation about that elsewhere, and really hope it’s just BS.
I suspect it’s something like that or Sabes is just running out of steam. I’m not sure how he’s kept up his schedule at 72. That’s why he’s the GOAT. Nobody else runs that hard.

Yeah and although not stated publicly (to my knowledge) one can’t help but wonder if the above (including NIL) had a hand in accelerating his retirement decision.
From what I understand from my sources on the ground, Saban didn’t want to retire but Mrs Terry is having some health issues so he wants to spend more time with her.

Reactions: Reasoned
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT