ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa HS Soccer

Lebron James played high school basketball. think about that for a few minutes. basketball has a ruthless club environment and yet James still played for his high school.

The D1 coach has it absolutely right. Anyone pushing a kid to only play club ball either has a financial stake in club fees or just doesnt get it. Nevermind the obligation a kid has to his friend in school to play for his school. The idea that you would put it in a kids head that he is "too good" to play with scrubs on a high school team is sick.

Keep in mind that Lebron James played high school basketball the next time you think an Iowa kid is too gifted to play high school soccer.

Let's open discussion again. What is everyone's thoughts regarding the ODP program in comparison to the US Academy program? Has ODP gotten weaker with more boys choosing academy structure? This may be the case in places like Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, etc. where US Academy programs are available (Sporting KC, St. Louis Scott Gallagher, Shattuck, Chicaco Fire, etc.).

With the lack of an academy program, what about in Iowa? Is our ODP still finding the top players at all ages to get exposure and develop at a higher level?

Grinnell’s Nick Cook one of the best midfielders in the state, has opted to forego his senior season to play with the Chicago Fire Academy U18s. Carlos Sanchez of Grinnell is in his 3rd round of tryouts for a Mexican 2nd division team, Carlos is 16. The problem with soccer in Iowa is that the elite players have a hard time getting exposure unless they play with a team that is outside of the state. This year there wasn’t a U18 ODP (94’) squad, which would have given exposure to some players. ODP seems to be an avenue for the large club’s to promote their own player’s and status. It’s political and that’s not fair to the players. I know of players that have been told at ODP tryouts by ODP coaches that they need to play for a bigger club. Hopefully the academy system is beyond politics and just focuses on the best talent available. Often the elite club teams in Iowa are better than Iowa ODP teams because club teams train and play together year round. Soccer is different than basketball and football, with these two sports players play high school, then college, and then hopefully they go pro. With soccer you can skip high school and college and still go pro. It’s a different paradigm and probably something Iowa high school coaches need to get use to.

G-TownTiger:

I am sorry to hear that. I had the opportunity to watch Grinnell play at the State Tournament. They should have probably won that first round game. Cook/Sanchez in the midfield looked to be a relatively lethal force.

When will Sanchez learn about his chances with the Mexican team? Any chance you could elaborate on which club it is?

Will Cook be starting on the Fire Academy team? Has he decided where he wants to go to college?

Pauly Apostolopolous left from Pella after last year for Derby County. I am sure they are in the same boat as you.

I don't know if Nick will start. He says the training sessions are intense and players are very talented. He's fighting for a position against someone who already has a D-1 scholarship. It might be Chivas Rayadas de Guadalajara. However, I'm not sure. The Mexican second division has two tiers. The first is the team competes in league play and could get relegated or promoted. The second is developmental. I don't know which of these he's trying out for.

I've got a few contacts at Fire and hear their academy teams often play majority of the players who they've developed over time in their system. I'm interested that he was able to make the program at such a late age.

Does he have family there to live with or just testing the waters?

Does Sanchez have family in Mexico then? I'm somewhat surprised that he looks there at a 2nd division team rather then the academy teams here. Shattuck, Sporting, Scott Gallagher, and Fire are "just down the road" and probably will provide the same, if not better, competition and exposure.

I must ask though, since practice has started, is Sanchez training and still in school? He was a fine player and young enough to have plenty of time to develop.

Both Sanchez and Cook tried out for the Chicago Fire Development Academy last summer. Both of them made the team. Nick wanted to graduate before going to Chicago. Sanchez, the only thing he wants to be is a professional soccer player. When Sanchez was in 8th & 9th grade he trained at the C.F. Pachuca Academy in Mexico City. I believe he has a cousin that plays first division soccer somewhere in Mexico, that is probably were he is getting these opportunities. I will know this week if he made the team or if he’ll be back in Iowa. Both played for a large club in Des Moines, a lot was promised and nothing delivered. Chances are if Sanchez comes back, he’ll be headed to Chicago also, Nick and Carlos are pretty tight. Too bad for Grinnell Soccer, with those two guys running the midfield good things always seemed to happen.

Warrior - Sanchez is back for the spring season with Grinnell. He will be trying out again in June for Atlas. This time he doesn't have to go through the first 3 rounds of tryouts, he was invited by the club. It appears that he's somewhat of a proven commodity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT