ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa HS Soccer

mtdew_fever

All District
Jul 14, 2004
Some have mentioned the quality of play in Iowa HS soccer is fairly high. Anyone know how many high schoolers received D-I scholarships or at the very least went on to join a D-I school to play?

I know of a female that had a D-II scholarship in soccer, but that's about it.

Iowa's biggest struggle is the lack of D1 options in our state...Drake being the only school. Drake's roster often is dominated by the top Iowa talent year in and year out. Plenty of kids getting D1 looks from schools all over the MVC.

Often difficult to secure scholarship money for soccer as well. I know of many talented soccer players who turned down the opportunity to play ball to attend the cheaper public institutions.

I think I could count more then 10 from Norwalk in the past few years who went on to play D2/D3 level ball as well. Plenty of talent here in the state for sure.

Mtdew - this year alone players from Iowa are heading to DI Colgate, Drake, Virginia Tech and Missouri St. along with DII Truman St. Recent years have seen other players play at Loyola, Western Illinois, Creighton, Illinois-Chicago and Kentucky. Along with numerous DII and DIII schools. However, with only one DI program in the state and playing in the spring, kids in Iowa have a hard time getting noticed.

Iowa high school soccer is crap compared to other states... Small numbers (3 million people in Iowa, the same as the city of Chicago not counting the burbs) just lead to the talent pool being small. Soccer is a sport in which the best players stick to clubs. An example, Jordan Kadlec and most of that amazing CRSA team back in the day. You don't get recruited by big schools playing for a high school. They rarely recruit outside of big club tournaments. You'll even see DIII schools recruiting at club tourneys. If you want to play DI soccer, you better find a good club.

Norwalk alone has had four players, who played high school soccer, play DI soccer, at Drake, Tulsa, and Valpo. College coaches find players wherever they are playing.

DMMenace I agree. Cummings is also (in my opinion) the best player to ever play high school soccer in Iowa. I'm sorry to say, but it's sad to see some of the teams that get to state though in 1a, 2a, and even some in 3a some years. Games at state should not be 8-0 or even 4-0. It's a disgrace that we can't get 8 solid teams in 2a soccer. I'm not saying we lack talent; I guess I meant to say we lack depth at the high school level.

Unfortunately the best soccer players to have come out of Iowa didn't even bother to play High School soccer. Two All-Americans now playing D1 soccer from Iowa Ian Christianson (Big East All-Conference as a Soph) and Austin Decker (Patriot League All-League as a Soph) never played Iowa High School. Both were on the US Youth Nation Team pool since they were 14 and both went the US soccer academy route.

Record books probably wouldn't be the same if these kids played High School soccer. People which follow club soccer know these two kids all to well

I can't debate the best of all-time, that would be a never ending argument which there probably isn't a correct answer. The point I would like to bring up is that in general, the very top players don't play HS soccer and this is obviously not unique to Iowa, many of the country's top clubs didn't allow their players to play HS soccer because of the fear of getting injured and developing bad habits by playing "sub-par" players and teams. Now that the US soccer has expanded the academy system, none of those players in the program are allowed to play HS soccer.

Iowa is somewhat unique in that there is not an academy team in the state so we have some very good players playing HS soccer. So the gap in soccer talent in HS soccer is wide between the haves and have nots.

Now, having said this, 3 of the last 6 players of the year in IA do not even start or play significant minutes with their college teams. This is an embarrassing trend but not to be surprised. After all even the NSCAA All-American awards are split between HS soccer and Club soccer. High School soccer in every state has to deals with the best of the best players not playing for their schools. Those who do, may even suffer because of it.
This post was edited on 5/4 12:42 PM by blackhawks2010

Blackhawks- Unfortunately, you are misinformed about the academy system. One of the main reasons the system was started was to increase the training-to-competition ratio to better develop US soccer players. For this reason, any player on an academy team is limited in what they are allowed to play: players cannot play for another team, no guest playing at tournaments, no ODP, etc. If you are a full-time rostered player for an academy team, you are not allowed to play for any other team with two exceptions: National Team duty and HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER. US Soccer recognizes the importance of high school soccer and academy players across the country play for their high school.

It will be interesting to see how this system develops over time. Because academy teams are only allowed to play other academy teams (cannot play in any other league, tournaments, state cup, ODP, or all-star teams), non-academy club teams will not see, presumably, the best players in the country. If you are a non-academy player, your only chance to play with or against them is if you happen to match-up against them in a high school competition.

RedDevil, Unfortunately you may not be aware of the new rules and schedule of the academy system. In general you brought up a good point, however it meant nothing to Iowa since HS soccer is in spring which is in direct conflict with the academies playing schedule. HS soccer WAS allowed to players in states that had fall soccer but that has changed with the new schedule of the academy which some clubs started this past fall and all are required to follow starting this fall.

Which goes back to my original point HS soccer does not attract the elite player for reasons mentioned in previous posts. Obviously there are some very good players playing Iowa HS soccer, but the great players find their way to the academy system Decker and Cline to SSM, Christianson to the Fire, Weatherspoon and Fricke to the Wizards, etc. The academy has it's own tournaments and recruiting events which is on every D1 coaches schedule. With the limit of scholarships within a D1 school (assuming the school even offers that many) being given to the players in the academy program, there isn't much left on the table for everybody else much less the HS player.

The quality in HS soccer is improving, at least in Iowa. This is helped out because there isn't an academy in Iowa and may never be one here. USSF has capped the U-18's to 64 teams. Granted there are teams (clubs) that are removed and replaced with other teams each year but they want to keep the player pool for the elite. So the likely hood of an academy club in Iowa is remote.

Blackhawk-I'm not sure you're really correct on this: it is my understanding that only the Southern California academy teams made the move to the year round schedule. This was done independently, although with the support, of the US Development Academy. Also, I believe the schedule breaks are not just in the fall for academy teams in the states that play fall HS soccer but also for those that play winter. Whether all academy teams will follow the Southern California approach will be a question that we will have to wait and see as the academy system develops. But, again, I don't believe that this is a requirement for the 2011-2012 schedule.

I agree with you that this is moot in relation to Iowa as there are no--nor is it likely in the near future, if ever--academy teams in Iowa. But, the whole academy vs. HS question is moot in Iowa because if an Iowan wants to play for an academy team then he has to move out of state.

To your original point that HS soccer does not attract the elite player, I would point out that NCAA DI soccer does not attract the elite player. The academy was not implemented to develop DI soccer prospects; it was implemented to develop professional soccer players that would make our national team more competitive. The worse thing a player could do if his goal is to play high level professional soccer is play college soccer during the critical developmental stage between 18-22. This is something that has been recognized and discussed by US Soccer for a long time; US Soccer is at much more odds with college soccer than it is with HS soccer (Project 40 came along long before the Developmental Academy).

In sports development the "elite" athlete is the athlete with the physical, mental, and--if developed propery--technical ability to be a professional athlete, not a college athlete. These are those unique individuals with the ability to climb to the top of the pyramid and make a career as a player. I'm not saying that someone who goes on to play DI soccer cannot make a career as a professional player; however, it is not the preferred path and much less likely. The "elite" soccer player needs to be signing a professional contract when he is 17 or 18, not a letter of intent.

Considering the investment (cost and time) associated with club soccer today, the goal of using that to get a soccer scholarship makes no financial sense. If a club coach sells their program based on that, I would seriously question their knowledge or ethics or both. As DI soccer is a non-equity sport with only 9.9 scholarships and so few programs nationwide due to Title IX (which is why Iowa, Iowa State, UNI, and Drake have women's programs but only Drake has a men's program), the idea that you would ever recoup this investment is silly. Better to spend your time studying and get that academic scholarship. On the other hand, if you are investing all this money and time because you love playing this fantastic game, then do it. Of course, if you are playing club because you love playing the game, then why would you ever pass up the opportunity of playing the game in high school?
This post was edited on 5/7 6:04 AM by RedDevilForever

RedDevil, you bring up a good point with the academy. Perhaps we should start another thread regarding this. It's true the whole academy system was to bring US youth soccer more inline with other "soccer" countries development. But consider out of the roughly 300 kids to already come out of the system how many have made the jump to professional? I can only count 14 but there may be a handful more but safe to say less than 10%. To say that the NCAA does not attract the elite play is a false statement. I know of four players passing up professional contracts to play D1 soccer. Granted there are other factors that weight into going to college other than soccer.

College soccer has improved because of the US academy system, not because of HS soccer. While HS soccer is also getting better because better players staying with soccer it is and will continue to be much harder to get even a look from D1 schools because of the current structure of the US youth system.

This isn't the place to debate the short comings of the academy system either, but there are more than few which still need to worked out. My original point, which I have digressed from, the competition for DI soccer athletes has gotten even more competitive with the introduction of the current US youth systems. Your "better" players can not, or will not, play HS soccer if they inspire to go Pro or D1 first. I will say Iowa probably has a greater percentage of the "better" players in the state playing HS soccer ironically because of the current US youth system, but I still don't believe this helps any of them.

As to the information to the upcoming academy schedules. I am directly affiliated with an academy team and I have been shown the new "mandated" schedule from the USSF. Training to start October 15th with a tournament the end of November. Effectively eliminating the possibility to play fall soccer.

Blackhawks-While we continue our discussion, let's keep in mind that the truly critical thing is that Man Utd beat Chelsea today. Anyway, I agree that it might be best to start another thread to continue the specific conversation concerning the academy (I'll leave the initiative to you).

I think our only disagreement about whether DI attracts the elite player is more about how each of us is defining "elite." For me, the elite soccer player is someone who can truly make a career playing professional soccer. Perhaps my definition is too strict, but, considering the median(not average) salary in the MLS and average length of time one plays at that level, many MLS players cannot make a career as a pro.

On the issue of the major driving force behind the improvement in US soccer, I would make a couple of points. First, obviously, playing HS soccer cannot provide the needed development to become an elite player: The coach/player contact restrictions associated with HS sports makes this impossible. But this is no different than it is in basketball, baseball, or any other sport.

Secondly, I think it is important not to forget (and US Soccer not to forget) the importance of HS soccer as a driving force in the improvement of soccer in the United States. The extensive club system in the US developed as a byproduct of HS soccer. It was recognized by HS soccer teams that they needed to increase the quality of players prior to them entering HS and continue their development when they couldn't be coached out of season. This is what really drove the massive growth of club soccer throughout the US.

This history is important to remember because, even today, for the overwhelming number of parents and kids, when they are 11, 12, and 13, they are thinking about which high school sport their kid is going to play. I'm afraid (pure opinion here obviously) that if soccer gets more and more removed from high school, that more and more people are going to self select out of soccer. My point is that when someone says that HS soccer hurts or doesn't improve soccer in the US, they need to think about the implications of HS soccer beyond the 3 months of training and playing.

Becoming an elite soccer player (no matter what definition of elite we are using) is not simply a function of one's training and coaching. The reality--a reality that a lot of people don't like to admit, but is nevertheless true--is that being an elite soccer player is more of a function of being an elite ATHLETE than it is a function of technical training and hard work (the latter is needed, but fruitless if you don't have the former). Therefore, if US Soccer or college soccer wants to continue to improve, they must attract better and better athletes.

It is very difficult to know if a player at U-16 is going to be a top soccer player. Do you know how tall or fast a player is going to be when he is 15? No. Let's take that very successful CRSA team of the past. How many of those players turned out to be top DI players? (Interestingly, it can be argued that the one with the most successful college career--in terms of playing time, continuing to play all 4 years of eligibility, not having to transfer--was the one that played 4 years of HS soccer and 4 years of HS football.)

I agree with you completely that the academy system is going to make it much harder for anyone not playing in that system to get looked at by DI coaches. However, if you are good enough, people are going to come watch you play wherever you are playing. (This season alone, there have been HS games where DI coaches have flown to Iowa to watch players play.)

I couldn't disagree more with your belief that HS soccer doesn't help Iowa soccer players. I would like you to explain your reasoning more. If you are talking from a recruiting standpoint, then I think your previous argument concerning the academy system belies your argument here. If, as I believe you correctly point out, the academy system becomes the primary recruiting ground for DI coaches, then it becomes critical to do something that grabs their attention so that they will take a look at you. Since the academy system will relegate the remainder of the club teams to a second tier level, HS accomplishments become a way for a prospect to break into a DI coach's attention. A list of impressive HS accomplishments and statistics is enough to get a coach to pop in a DVD. (And believe me, coaches are looking for every possible guy out there. If you can get that little first look and you are good enough, they will be interested.) This is much more effective than going to a showcase tournament and hoping you get randomly spotted.

If you are saying that HS doesn't help from a development standpoint, then I would like to hear your reasons. I will point out though that the closest thing to preparing someone for the rigors of the college season other than college soccer is HS soccer. Both have short seasons with multiple games a week and practice every day. Club soccer is nothing like the college season. This is another reason why I think for any Iowa player that club and HS soccer are complimentary and they should partake in both.

Lastly, I'm interested in the academy schedule. Are the Texas teams going to be playing Jan-Mar? Minnesota and Illinois normally have their state championship game at the end of October, sometimes running into the first few days of November depending upon calendar, so I don't think it precludes them. Missiouri runs into the middle of November, are they being mandated? It seems to me that the late start date (if HS was precluded, why wouldn't you start training when the weather was good) is making accomodation for HS.

Iowa is starting to have quite a few players break through to D1.

Wil Martin CR at Loyola IL
Mark Halma DM at Kentucky & Loyola
Tanner Schilling I.C. at Colgate
Nick Arpey I.C. West at Colgate
Several Iowa players at Drake

Some good and well thought out points being shared here. In being the Arsenal fan that I am its to bad that both Man U and Chelsea couldn't both lose. In regards to the academy schedule, there is a fair amount of push back from various clubs from differing regions argueing the same issues you bring up. I know the idea is to standardize with a regimented training/playing schedule (i.e. the european method) What actually comes out of this, remains to be seen.

My personal thought on the "elite" player isn't just the one that jump to the professional ranks from HS. Certainly these can be called elite but I wouldn't leave out the SUCCESSFUL D1 players. I did a quick count of the number of Iowa players going D1 that I am aware of, 24 in the last three years but only 10 got any significant playing time last year. I would consider those 10 amoung the "elite" Iowa soccer players.

The CRSA '89 team has been mentioned a few times and that is actually a really good team to bring up. Roughly 1/3 of the starters didn't play HS soccer and out of the 8 (I believe 8) players that went D1, only three I would consider having a successful D1 playing career. I realize that is probably an arguement in the making but it shows my point. HS soccer in Iowa just does not attract the level of interest to give players the exposure to take away scholorships from the US academy players. And, unless you happen to go to one of the few HS where the soccer coach actually knows how and spends the time to develop a good soccer player, your S.O.L.

Take for example Schilling from IC West, obviously a very good player. He didn't get noticed by Colgate because he plays HS soccer. He had to travel to a camp during the summer where the Colgate coach happened to be at (same can be said of N. Arpey last year)

I am all for HS soccer in Iowa because I believe you are correct in that it will suffer if you do not promote the better players to play and to continue to improve. So I pose this question, how do you maintain the "elite" Iowa soccer players in the HS soccer system when you have other competing youth development programs estiblished that have the skills to develop the good players into the great "successful" DI or pro player? I view this as a major issue.

FYI....Decker just passed on a 500K euro deal with Stutgart Vfb and 670K euro with Buraspar to stay in school and play @ Lehigh. Not sure why he just didn't take the opportunity but nevertheless a Iowa player that could have jumped to pro ranks but elected to stay in US and in school.

If somebody can show me how playing HS soccer, and not playing at least club soccer, has gotten to play D1 soccer I would like to know who that was and how they did it. RedDevil, I would veiw W. Martin as a great success story in playing HS sports and having a great college career, but he is one of the very few. But lets not forget, he was on the CRSA '89 team that was successful enough to get noticed by D1 coaches. What if he was never on that team? Would he have had the opportunity to play D1 somewhere?

Why are they mutually exclusive? Players play high school and club soccer. Clubs are pushing players to forgo high school season because they need to charge players in the spring. It is about money. Sure, there are a few players who it makes sense for, but show me a good club player who didn't get a scholarship because they did play high school soccer?

DMMenace-I agree with your post entirely with the one caveat being that I'm concerned that US Soccer must be careful not to structure youth soccer in such a way that we start making soccer less attractive to the elite athlete or that there is not a pathway back into soccer for him once his athletism develops. Just as US Soccer needs to be careful about this on a national level, we in Iowa need to be careful about this on a state level.

Not only do we need to be careful not to make soccer less attractive to the elite athlete, we need to think about proactive ways to make it more attractive. When you think of some of the Iowans that have gone on to be recruited to play top DI football, etc., imagine if they had been playing soccer. If you look into their history, a lot of these kids played soccer when they were young. Think about what we would all be talking about if Iowa HS currently had a 6'5 sub 4.4 40 player on the soccer field.

Your story about Matt Nickel is great. Excellent example of a successful Iowa soccer player. You are right that I have been probably using too high of a standard in my definition of "elite." This is probably due to academic/research papers on the qualities, development, etc. of the "elite" athlete. In research papers, the definition of elite seems to vacilate between professional athletes (sometimes even top professionals) and top college athletes. But you are right, when talking about Iowa soccer players, this is probably too high.

Blackhawks-I hope that I was not unclear in my argument: I am not arguing for HS soccer over club soccer. I believe that the two are complimentary and, as "dglade" says, not mutually exclusive.

As far as someone getting noticed by a DI coach based more on their HS accomplishments vs their club team, there are a few. One that I can think of off-hand is Settle. As far as I'm aware, he never played on a club team that went to regionals and was a bit of a club hopper. However, he got noticed by Wisconsin because he was a NSCAA All-American and Parade All-American based on his HS play. As you may know, he eventually went on to play and be Wisconsin's starting goalkeeper.

When you bring up Schilling and Arpey and how they got recruited, it is important to recognize how DI soccer recruiting has evolved over the years.

Initially, college coaches primarily recruited by going to look at club and HS teams play (this is going way back). This was when Iowa players were never seen because coaches never came to Iowa. With limited resources and time, college coaches concentrated on particular clubs and high school's that perennially had good players. At this time, coaches also went to HS state tournaments (of states with top players). Regionals and nationals were of little use because they were only played at U-16 and U-19. Obviously, U-16 was too young and the teams at U-19 were too old.

ODP developed and became a recruiting bananza. College coaches could use ODP to see the best players from each state and develop relationships with them without having to worry about NCAA recruiting restrictions (NCAA regulations have an exemption for olympic development programs in any sport). However, many "top" soccer states' top players still did not participate in ODP. This was because ODP conflicted with their club team schedule and they were already getting seen. Also, at this time, large national invite tournaments started to take hold and regionals expanded to include U-17 and U-18. So, recruiting at this time started to take more the form of ODP, regionals, and the big invite tournaments.

With the exception of ODP, Iowans struggled under this format. This was because at both regionals and the big invite tournaments, DI coaches didn't show up until after the group stage or, if they did, they would seen an Iowa team on the schedule and, biases being what they are, go to a different match.

The success of the big invite tournaments bred a new type of tournament: the "showcase." Also, the invite tournament, and its critical mass of top club teams, helped create the want for what I would call semi-permanent tournaments. These new "leagues", such as MRL, became another place that a coach could go and see a number of games/players. All of these tournaments and leagues catered to the needs of college coaches from DI to DIII to NAIA.

However, DI coaches started to look at what other sports were doing (i.e., basketball)--and were probably sick of spending their Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. on the soccer field--and recognized that camps were the best way to recruit. They recognized that if a prospect was serious about their school, they would come to their camp. Also, once a prospect is on campus, all NCAA contact rules go out the window. Today, top DI schools run multiple camps including two or three day "college prep" camps with the sole intent of identifing and recruiting prospects. Often, these camps are staffed by lower level coaches (lower level DI assistants, DII and DIII, NAIA, and NJCAA) looking to pick up prospects that, for whatever reason, the primary school does not want. Also, there has been the development of independant camps staffed by college assistants whose sole objective is player identification. (At all of these camps, coaches don't just "happen to be" there.)

Prior to the development of the academy system, top DI coaches primarily recruited via camps, regionals, and top level tournaments (whether showcase or traditional structure). In the latter two, identification of a potential prospect was left to assistants.

The development of the academy system really knocks out the importance of regionals, tournaments, and MRL. Obviously, with limited resources, DI coaches are going to go where the largest critical mass of top players are. Since the top clubs are no longer at regionals, MRL, or tournaments, DI coaches are less likely to be there. They are only going to be there to see non-academy players that have already been identified as a prospect through other avenues.

Which brings up the question: What are the other avenues for Iowans? The answer is build up enough accolades that they take a look. In today's world, club accolades probably mean that you have to win regionals (a lot more possible now that the best teams are no longer entered). ODP: win nationals. HS allows you to build a number of accolades: all-State, all-Tournament, Player of the Year, etc. You then have to be proactive at the institutions you might want to go to. And finally, once you get some contact, go to their camp.

Since you have to be proactive--which means you have to be selective--this all builds with what DMMenace said. Which is to say, you have to be proactive with the schools you are interested in going to and getting a degree from in the area of study you are interested in.

RedDevilForever et all:

Interesting points being made. Just wanted to throw into the mix something regarding the showcase tournaments for premier level teams and the ones that compete in regional leagues. Couple teams from Iowa were headed to a showcase in Indiana in April that play in MRL.

The Crossroads of America College Showcase hosted by Carmel United had a solid list of 157 collegiate coaches, assistants, scouts, etc, listed as being interested in attending the showcase. Of those, I am not sure how many would have actually showed up, but there were many DI schools who had multiple contact names/e-mails listed in attendance. ACC, SEC, Big East, Big10, MVC, and a plethora of mid-major conference colleges were all on the lists. Not to mention a stout variety of local DII/DIII schools. It ended up getting cancelled due to weather and field conditions so I wasn't able to find out first hand.

Do these showcases attract the top elite world class talent? Absolutely not. But to say showcases and club level tournaments doesn't earn scholarships is nonsense. Do we or will we have top players come through the ranks? It's possible. Didn't one of our Iowa ODP teams just win nationals? Pretty sure that class of Iowa players will be getting plenty of looks in the future regardless of their status with their high school team, particular club, or a state academy. In my experience, top talent doesn't go un-noticed no matter what league, state, or country you play in. The academies and top clubs do however offer a better window into premier play at collegiate and for the few, professional ranks.

Cheers!

We have a quality thread going here with alot of good points being brought up. RedDevils, I was not aware of Settles situation which is a great example. There are obvious exceptions to every general tread and the general tread which I believe we all have agreement on is that even the "good" player has a much better chance of getting a D1 look through club soccer than HS soccer. We are in complete agreement that the better athletes need to stay in soccer for soccer to improve in the US.

I'm not sure that club and HS soccer need to complete with each other, but the reality is that they do clash and often players are asked to make a choice between the two, with the majority of the better players choosing club (or even academy) soccer instead of HS because of the recuiting issue. The enviroment of D1 recuiting has changed even in the last 3-4 years, and in my opinion directly because of the USSF academy system. With coaching staffs budgets being cut they go where they get the most bang for their buck (which isn't HS soccer) This trend will only get more popular with the current situation of budgets.

You absolutely have to be proactive in pursuing a program to be noticed. The days of coaches showing up on your door to give you a sales pitch and scholorship offer are gone. (unless you play basketball or football). Some of the best ones around the Midwest are Northwestern, Notre Dame, Indiana, Crieghton. I only mention these few because they have multiple D1 coaches that participate in the camp and don't just showcase the host school. I'm sure there are others which people can chime in with.

4_1A_2_Nv-Here's how showcase/college recruiting tournaments work: The tournament actively pursues college coaches from all levels extremely hard. (You would be surprised how hard they market to these coaches.) This is because the list of coaches that they can produce is their marketing tool to teams.

They treat college coaches extremely well. It doesn't matter if you are DI, DII, DIII, or NAIA. They treat all of them the same, and the perks they get for attending (which just means that they sign-in, not necessarily attend any games) are pretty good. If you ever are going to a big tournament and are flying in, the way you tell who the college coaches are at the airport is that they are the ones picking up their golf bags at checked luggage. I'm not kidding.

At big tournaments in the southern states (e.g., Disney, Dallas, San Diego, etc.), coaches come in a day early because the day before the tournament they have a round of golf at some great golf course comped. Next, a coach signs-in and gets a big massive book with players names, grades, interests, etc. You know, the normal profile information. And they also get a bunch of other free stuff. Nothing super special--except at Disney where they will give you free Disney tickets (so you can combo the recruiting trip with a family vacation)--but just nice enough to make you feel special. Now, the coaches that are truly interested in all the names are the really low level DIIIs and NAIA schools. And when I so "really low level," I mean it. These coaches, which are on the list, some times don't even go to the games (a lot of times they don't even show up personally but have someone else local pick up the book). They take the book, enter it all in their school database, and start mass mailing everyone. (Generally, this is only NAIA.)

Next, once the tournament starts, the coaches working hard are the DIII and NAIA coaches. But even they are not going to games to just spot some unknown talent. All of these coaches have been overloaded with contacts from prospects. So, you will see DIII coaches scurring from field to field to watch all the multiple people who have sent them emails, etc. to see if they are any good. (Remember, DI coaches don't come to see people willy-nilly because they, unlike DIII, have a limited number of "evaluations" they get once you have become an official "prospective student-athlete," which you become once any official contact between you and the school starts.)

The DI coaches like to send their grad assistants and assistant coaches to games. (Therefore, it's better to have a game later in the day because these assistants are single and have been up all night partying.) Again, they are only coming to your game if you have created some sort of contact with them beforehand. If you know they are there and you watch them closely, you will know if you have made an impression because they will call the head coach. If you don't do well, then you don't even rate a text message as they cross you off the list of the hundreds of others.

Any coaches you see talking to players after a game are your NAIA coaches. NCAA doesn't allow you to talk to players in the middle of a tournament so it's not them. Of course, there are many DIII coaches that break the rules and, because the NCAA doesn't worry about enforcement at the DIII level, they get away with it, but it is frowned upon by their peers.

Now, as Blackhawks said about Settle, there are always exceptions to a general rule. So, if a coach happens to be at your game because he is watching someone else and you do exceptionally well, he will get interested. But these are big exceptions. Don't ever go to a college showcase--or any other tournament--and just hope to be seen by some coach with money to hand-out. It doesn't happen that way. Also, don't expect that if you send a nice email or letter to a coach on the tournament coaches list prior to the tournament that they will come see you. It's not because they are bad people, it's because every player going to that showcase has sent them an email or letter.

Also, there is a big difference between women's soccer and men's soccer. (For one thing, there is not an academy system for women drawing coaches away from these tournaments.) Women have 14 scholarships and a ton of programs nation wide; Men have 9.9 and a little more than half the number of programs (especially if we consider how many of these are fully funded). In the women's world, you will hear coaches say there is more money than talent; you will never hear this in the men's world.

So how do I view showcases? If you are already in contact with a school and they are potentially interested in you, a showcase gives them an opportunity to see you. But do not believe that if you go to a showcase with tons of coaches on the "attending coaches" list that someone is just going to spot you. It just doesn't happen (except for with NAIAs). This is a marketing job by the showcase tournaments and, unfortunately, some club coaches that just don't know how the recruiting process works.

And yes, one of our ODP teams did just win nationals; and yes, that will get them plenty of looks. But that was exactly my point about having something that catches the attention of a college coach so that he spends that time to take a look at you.
This post was edited on 5/12 12:11 AM by RedDevilForever
This post was edited on 5/12 11:51 AM by RedDevilForever
This post was edited on 5/12 11:52 AM by RedDevilForever
This post was edited on 5/12 11:54 AM by RedDevilForever

Pretty big generalization, I personally have been a DI assistant in the past, gone to a large showcase (Orange Classic in Miami) watched players we had been in contact, but also identified a player we had no prior contact with, started recruiting, and signed from seeing at that tournament.
I can tell you as a former DI coach, that the only reason clubs are encouraging players to not play high school in the Spring is because they have a large payroll and they can't charge kids in the Spring when they aren't playing. They may try to sell that they need to do it for college scholarships, but in the end look at who has a financial stake in the deal. High school soccer is good preparation for college soccer, schedules are more similar with daily practice, weekly games, more likely going to be working in the weight room, and doing fitness work, and have academic standards that players have to meet to remain eligible.
Obviously top players need to play club for the most part to be successful, but clubs and high schools should be working together to grow soccer, not against each other.

The best way to be seen by college coaches today, is to attend the summer camp of the school(s) you are interested in. Start attending camps when you are an 8th or 9th grader and if you are good enough, you will get noticed and get opportunities. Most DI camps have coaches from several schools in attendance.

Lastly, there are some very good DIII soccer programs throughout Iowa and the Midwest. If you have a passion to play soccer in college, good grades and a decent ACT score some of the DIII schools offer a great soccer experience along with a quality education. Wartburg, Central, Luther and Loras all have very good programs here in Iowa with Wartburg and Loras playing and winning games in the NCAA tournament.

Both DMMenace and dglade have brought up the financial incentives and how they affect soccer, albeit from two different perspectives. Let me add a few thoughts on this as well.

It was no so long ago that, in certain parts of the country, if you played on high level select or travel teams (terminology depending upon what part of the country you were in) that you paid nothing to play besides travel to tournaments. The club covered coaching, uniforms, bags, warmups, etc.; you only paid for shoes and travel expenses. This system was overturned by the professionalization of club coaching. So it is nice to see, as DMMenace points out, that this is returning to some extent.

When I say professionalization, I do not necessarily mean better coaching. What I mean is coaches who's primary income is derived from coaching youth soccer. The changes in soccer from this system have been massive.

I agree with dglade when he says that the reason clubs are encouraging players not to play high school is the need/want to charge them year round. There are also many other implications and changes that have occured in US soccer because of the financial stake that professional club coaches have, but this is probably not the thread to get involved in that discussion.

I agree completely with dglade that HS soccer and clubs should be working together to grow soccer. Club soccer suffers hard when their players start entering high school because of the number of players that stop playing club at that time. Working with HS soccer programs offer them an opportunity to recapture a large number of players. Meanwhile, clubs offer HS programs the opportunity to develop their players year round and give them the technical skills that HS coaches simply cannot develop during the limited 3 months each year. I think that if the clubs looked longer term, they would see that this would benefit them financially in the long run; and, it would definitely benefit soccer overall.

To take this thread one step further, I just heard confirmation from a USL coach that Decker accepted a close to six figure deal with FC Ajax and will be on loan to Athletico Madrid starting this fall season. Maybe the first Iowan to go pro in Europe, I'm not sure, but not to bad for a 20 year old kid that grew up playing soccer in the Iowa City area! Any other Iowa kids making it pro yet?

Being "newer" to this site, I am amazed by the intellect of this thread. It was amazing to read an learn form. You all gave me many things to think of and discuss with my children who are young. Great intellect from the soccer knowledge professors of the game. Thank you!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT