ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting read about covid

billywayneluck

All District
Dec 28, 2009
Reactions: Konigstiger
Noooo…we want this to continue so we can crush you rotten freedom loving rubes with a FIST OF STEEL!

ElectricThisBaldeagle-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Pops Masterson
Noooo…we want this to continue so we can crush you rotten freedom loving rubes with a FIST OF STEEL!

ElectricThisBaldeagle-size_restricted.gif
It actually matches what a friend of mine in the medical field predicated a while back 1) covid is going to be common place and here to stay, 2) each subsequent variant will become easier to spread and eventually less lethal, 3) it may take a bit but soon it will be indistinguishable from the common cold.

He also said that we would likely have covid boosters just like the annual flu shot, at least in the next few years. Also that all of the masking drama is largely a circus and healthcare theater.

Dude nailed the predication for the last two waves. I’d say he has a bead on this thing. Maybe he can replace Fauchi? Lol

Reactions: Reasoned
The real question with this current delta wave is what it does outside of the south, and whether it spreads like wildfire nationwide. There's all the sensationalist BS in the media right now about the virus and "red states", but if you take a closer look, it's almost exactly the same areas (so far) that saw big surges in the summer of 2020. It's the "sunbelt" region that has it the worst. This wave last year peaked right around now, and everywhere fell off until the northern wave started in October. This summer wave started a little later than last year's, but many areas are showing signs of nearing a peak now, and I'd expect much of the south to peak and start decline in the next two weeks.

Comparing a "US Wave" to a wave in the UK isn't an apples to apples comparison because of the size differences in the countries. It very well could be that Florida peaks in a few more days and starts a hard fall like the UK is doing, but while they fall the virus spreads across other parts of the country that are just starting to see increases now.

The real question with this current delta wave is what it does outside of the south, and whether it spreads like wildfire nationwide. There's all the sensationalist BS in the media right now about the virus and "red states", but if you take a closer look, it's almost exactly the same areas (so far) that saw big surges in the summer of 2020. It's the "sunbelt" region that has it the worst. This wave last year peaked right around now, and everywhere fell off until the northern wave started in October. This summer wave started a little later than last year's, but many areas are showing signs of nearing a peak now, and I'd expect much of the south to peak and start decline in the next two weeks.

Comparing a "US Wave" to a wave in the UK isn't an apples to apples comparison because of the size differences in the countries. It very well could be that Florida peaks in a few more days and starts a hard fall like the UK is doing, but while they fall the virus spreads across other parts of the country that are just starting to see increases now.
Good points. I think the big takeaway for me is that the peak of this wave occurs more quickly than previous waves. That’s due to the shorter incubation period. A shorter incubation is good for us since there’s less time for someone to shed the virus (giving it to others) before they feel the symptoms.

Coupled with the strong correlation between unvaccinated and hospitalizations- this is closer to the end than many in the media would make us believe. The resumption of mask orders, etc is just laughable to me given those facts.

Good points. I think the big takeaway for me is that the peak of this wave occurs more quickly than previous waves. That’s due to the shorter incubation period. A shorter incubation is good for us since there’s less time for someone to shed the virus (giving it to others) before they feel the symptoms.

Coupled with the strong correlation between unvaccinated and hospitalizations- this is closer to the end than many in the media would make us believe. The resumption of mask orders, etc is just laughable to me given those facts.

Where have you seen that there is a shorter incubation period? I've missed that factoid.

The actual epi curves don't seem to be much shorter in time period than the previous waves were, once you get down to a more localized level. 40-60 days seems to be about the standard for most everywhere for the last two years, and that's right about the same pattern that India (where it started) and the UK have shown. This wave has just been a steeper curve just about everywhere, due to it being more transmittable.

Florida is going to be a real interesting follow over the next couple weeks. They were on fire as much as anywhere has been last summer, and the steep runup in hospitalizations lasted about 35 days before they peaked, and fell hard after that. Florida's hospitalizations this time started rapidly increasing right around July 1st. I'll be very surprised if we get to the second week of August and things haven't peaked there.

Also, call me cynical, but these people at the CDC at this point have to know how a basic epi curve works, and how it has happened everywhere over the last two years. Due to the lag in actual spread -> recorded cases -> hospitalizations, it's possible that peak spread has already been reached in places in Florida, Louisiana, Nevada, Arkansas, Missouri, etc. and that they know the numbers will roll over in a few weeks. What better time to put back in restrictions and mask mandates? By the end of August all the talking heads will be giving masks credit for things turning around in the south.

Reactions: ZosoDawg
LO2ZDN3ERRHHBISUFNIVFL2SBU.jpg
Aaand UAB says cases by the end of August in Alabama could be 3x as high as they were back during our January peak from this past winter.

We can check back in on that prediction in a month. I suppose it’s possible, but it would be the first prediction UAB has gotten correct.

I know 6 people personally that have caught this latest flu, and all of them already had it. All but one had a milder version than the first time, and she’s overweight and has the diabeetus.

So excuse me, again, if this boogeyman bullshit doesn’t force me into a storm shelter where I feed my family heavy doses of CNN and talk about how things were in the golden days of 2019.

Reactions: Reasoned
Where have you seen that there is a shorter incubation period? I've missed that factoid.

The actual epi curves don't seem to be much shorter in time period than the previous waves were, once you get down to a more localized level. 40-60 days seems to be about the standard for most everywhere for the last two years, and that's right about the same pattern that India (where it started) and the UK have shown. This wave has just been a steeper curve just about everywhere, due to it being more transmittable.

Florida is going to be a real interesting follow over the next couple weeks. They were on fire as much as anywhere has been last summer, and the steep runup in hospitalizations lasted about 35 days before they peaked, and fell hard after that. Florida's hospitalizations this time started rapidly increasing right around July 1st. I'll be very surprised if we get to the second week of August and things haven't peaked there.

Reactions: BKHusky
Sen Rand Paul’s take:
Thirty-five million people officially have had COVID, but really conservative estimates, even from the CDC, indicate another 70 some odd million have had it, so really it is over a hundred million Americans have had it, probably 150 million to 160 million have been inoculated with the vaccine. Together, we have an enormous amount of success with immunity.
“In fact, the other day, I saw that over 65 years of age, 90% of people have now been inoculated,” the senator added. “So, this is extraordinary success, and yet, they say, oh no, we have to inoculate your newborn in the hospital before you can take them home.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT