ADVERTISEMENT

I'm gonna say it...

Nov 30, 2002
I have enjoyed this year's play-off format way better than the RPI format.
Yes, there were some lopsided games early. Yes, there were some district re-matches that didn't excite some people.
BUT
We didn't have teams complaining they were left out of the round of 16 with the RPI format.
It allowed some teams who may not have made it under the traditional format have the chance to compete.
I follow 3A and district 4 is a good example:

Marion upset CCA in round 1
Wahlert took #1 Xavier to the wire and lost 17-14.
Assumption and North Scott played in a slug fest that was determined in the final seconds.

In a traditional year one of the top 3 teams doesn't make the play-offs.
I would prefer they stick with this format instead of going back to the RPI (which people hated to begin with) especially with COVID continuing to be a wild card for the foreseeable future.

My two cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
I've been wondering how a "normal" year of playoffs would have been different. Marion wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs. Carlisle and Wahlert maybe had outside chances.

The automatic qualifiers as district champions would have been:

One of SBL/BHRV/Spencer (without RPI, no way to figure which one ... let's just say SBL)
Webster City
Decorah
Either Assumption or North Scott, depending on which one won their canceled regular season game (let's say Assumption)
Washington
Xavier
Pella
Dallas Center-Grimes
Harlan

Lewis Central, Ballard, and West Delaware are in as one-loss teams. Probably even a one-loss Fort Madison, although their schedule wasn't the strongest.

North Scott would have two losses under this scenario, but being to Pleasant Valley and Assumption, they get in. I'd guess at least one more D-1 team gets in, maybe BHRV? That leaves one more spot ... Grinnell? Wahlert? Carlisle? Nevada? Winterset? There's at least three teams, maybe four, that were able to reach the round of 16 that wouldn't have even gotten in the playoffs given a "normal" season.

You could make assumptions, but the number of canceled games and unbalanced game totals (some teams playing 8, others playing 4 or 5) would throw a wrench in getting "clean" RPI numbers. It generally takes 6 or 7 games to get a good read on RPI numbers anyway.

I've been wondering how a "normal" year of playoffs would have been different. Marion wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs. Carlisle and Wahlert maybe had outside chances.

The automatic qualifiers as district champions would have been:

One of SBL/BHRV/Spencer (without RPI, no way to figure which one ... let's just say SBL)
Webster City
Decorah
Either Assumption or North Scott, depending on which one won their canceled regular season game (let's say Assumption)
Washington
Xavier
Pella
Dallas Center-Grimes
Harlan

Lewis Central, Ballard, and West Delaware are in as one-loss teams. Probably even a one-loss Fort Madison, although their schedule wasn't the strongest.

North Scott would have two losses under this scenario, but being to Pleasant Valley and Assumption, they get in. I'd guess at least one more D-1 team gets in, maybe BHRV? That leaves one more spot ... Grinnell? Wahlert? Carlisle? Nevada? Winterset? There's at least three teams, maybe four, that were able to reach the round of 16 that wouldn't have even gotten in the playoffs given a "normal" season.
Grinnell would have been a 1 loss team. Their opponent cancelled so they sought out Harlan, agreeing to drive out there and play them. IF this year would have been normal Grinnell would have played Waverly Shell rock instead of Harlan. Pretty sure they win that one.

Good point. Everything is weird.

(Although Waverly-Shell Rock did knock off Decorah, so ... ya never know)
I didn't know that. Thanks. At harlan Grinnell seemed to be controlling the Harlan game...then the wheels came off. (Hunter went down and wasn't able to play the second half and they had no backup RB as their capable #2 RB Broke his Ankle or something in preseason)

dont like repeat games..beat a team once.....that should be good enough

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT