ADVERTISEMENT

IA Girls Basketball District Issues...

maxstabs13

All District
Aug 20, 2005
All the complaining in NW Iowa about districts and I just realized the other day that Eastern Iowa has a big issue with girls basketball...

Substate 4...
Western Dubuque 22-0 #2
Assumption 14-8 #15 on 8 game win streak prior to tonight 5A schedule
North Scott 17-4 #10 5A schedule
Wahlert 11-11 playing 5A schedule

CR Xavier 15-6 #8 5A schedule
Davenport North 16-5 Lost best player due to injury. She was out for 4 of the 5 losses toward the end of the season. Were a Top 5 team prior to injury. Prior to injury #4 5A schedule
Keokuk 15-6
Mt. Pleasant 17-4 #14
Clear Creek Amana 13-9
Ft. Madison 11-10

Looking at BCMoore rankings: 10 of 12 teams from those districts were Top 30 teams. 7 Top 20 teams. Realistically a healthy Davenport North is Top 10, so 4 Top 10 teams are playing for 1 spot at the State tournament.

I think it is fair to say that certain areas are going to be better at certain sports and geographically it may suck to have several good teams be knocked out, but everyone faces the issue.

I am sure Pella, Carlisle, Fairfield, and Knoxville girls didn't like the district draw either... Fairfield having the worst record at 17-6...

Frankly, most other parts of the state should be mad NW Iowa gets a girls team to the state tournament in 3A or 4A.

Harlan is about the best team that is far west and somewhat north. Spirit Lake is a maybe. Western Christian is legit in 2A as usual.

Max your claim about girls basketball in central and eastern Iowa in regards to class 4A and 5A are spot on. Historically teams from the western third of Iowa rarely match up with the rest of the state in those 2 classes. (Just an FYI, I live in NW Iowa). I do have to disagree with you regarding class 3A. Don't sell Poky short. Changing gears a bit..let's visit how the IGHSAU does such a superior job to the boys in Boone when setting up the tournament schedules to get the best teams to Des Moines. Class 4A...this one is amazing...The 8 teams that made it are ranked 1 thru 8 in the final rankings from the final regular season rankings. In class 3A 7 out of the 8 teams were ranked in the top 13. Only 1 non-ranked team made it. Class 2A Again all 8 teams were ranked in the top 13. Finally in class 1A..7 out of 8 teams were ranked at season's end. Only 1 non-ranked team made it and that was because of a major upset. I am betting when the boys field is set we will not see anything close to this as far as ranked boys teams making it to Des Moines because Smokey and the gang in Boone don't really care. All they care about are $$$$.

Major upsets do happen sometimes, but most of the time I think it is a team with a weak schedule and bloated recorded as a result.

1A-Substate

#8 in BCMoore South O'Brien took out #4 and #5
SO should be favored by a significant amount over GTRA even though they have a nice record also.

#7 West Hancock faces a Nashua Plainfield squad that came from a upset minded district in which Janesville fell.
WH will be a significant favorite

#3 Gladbrook Reinbeck(#1 in IAPreps poll) is playing 20-3 West Central
GR should be the favorite by a significant amount, but playing against a 6'10 post can pose its challenges.

Rankings wise a weak substate, but 4 teams in the two districts with 18+ wins and 4 or less losses. Belle Plaine(22-1) and Bellevue Marquette(18-4).

#1(#2 IAPreps) Danville will be the favorite.

#6 Earlham will face 22-1 DM Grand View for a state shot.

Nodaway Valley will be favored over Freemont Mills in probably the weakest substate. Nodaway Valley did suffer 4 of the 6 losses against 2A teams. A stretch of 4 losses they most have had someone injured or sick as they performed horribly.

#2 MVAO took out AWV and will play Lawton Bronson who beat Woodbury Central... Who upset LeMars Gehlen...

Lets just recognize what has occurred in 1A... CL and BH go down before substate. Colo-Nesco, Meskwaki, and Ar We Va go down before substate. That is 5 of the IAPreps Top 10 gone before substate. This tells me that the rankings were wrong and the boys in Boone paired the districts well.

2A-substate

#2 Western Christian gets improved SC team, but one could argue Sioux Center was in a weak district since they were the best team at 11-10... NWIowa favoritism? Not claiming. Just saying.

#7 Forest City gets Pocahantas... Should be favored

#3 New Hampton gets #5 Aplington PArkersburg... Looking like NEIowa got screwed.

#1 Cascade gets #4 Monticello... Definitely looks like NEIowa got screwed.

Regina will be favored over West Burlington... Looks like SEIowa got the easy route... Regina got the red carpet.

Pella C and #9 DMC...

Panora and Woodward... Central Iowa has weak basketball this year in 2A and districts 11-14 were beneficiaries of easy paths as a result.

Treynor and IKM-Manning... #10 and #11 face off... Both ranked Top 10 in IAPreps...

After substate 5 Top 10 teams will be gone. I think this class more than any other can complain about bad pairings and it is not the NW Iowa teams that can complain.

Good Breakdown, Max. To add, Monti (4). had to beat Beckman (15), who had to beat Anamosa (8), while Cascade (1) beat Northeast (7), who beat Camanche (20). Sub-state 4 in NE Iowa had 4 top-10 teams, and 6 top 20 teams (Not to mention #28 North Cedar and an 18-3 Clayton Ridge team).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT