ADVERTISEMENT

I.C. West vs Bettendorf -------here we go again

Rockeyes

Freshman
Feb 27, 2003
Like the regular return of the swallows to capistrano, the 2 best Soccer programs in the state, will once again meet in Des Moines. Well, SE Polk county anyway.

West won the early season match-up, 2-0. However, Bett has been displaying solid defensive efforts of late, so this one sets up to be a realy donnybrook, or sorts.

Predictions?

Originally posted by Rockeyes:
Like the regular return of the swallows to capistrano, the 2 best Soccer programs in the state, will once again meet in Des Moines.
These facts seem to contradict your ridiculous statement:

Team Titles
W.D.M. Valley 4
Bettendorf 3
I.C. West 3
Urbandale 2
Dowling Catholic 1
Ankeny 1

Last 3 State Championship matches
2008 Dowling Catholic 1, I.C. West 0
2007 Ankeny 1, I.C. West 0
2006 W.D.M. Valley 1 Dowling Catholic 0

You failed to mention that West won the State championship, over Bett in 2005. So, for the past 7, I believe State Chamionship games, West has been in all except one.

They won in 2003, 2nd to Bett in 2004, won in 2005.

Nate Kaeding won in 2000

Getting to the championship doesn't count unless you win. Finishing second just means you are the first loser.

i would say that although the ciml has a slight edge, it isn't that much of an edge because although they have won the past three titles, all have been by very close margins. Wouldn't be surprised if the state champion comes from either college town (IC or Ames)

'Getting to the championship doesn't count unless you win. Finishing second just means you are the first loser'

Yeah, well that is total BS.
Everyone wants to get to that game.........some never do. Some DO ALMOST EVERY DARN YEAR!

I think I.C. West should beat Ames tonight, but I.C. West did not beat a very good Bett team.

This year's Bett team is the most-overrated team in the history of the state tournament. They had absolutely nobody in their substate and then they got a 1-A team in their first round game. Thanks State Association.
mad.gif

Agreed. Battendorf's opponent had 0 shots on goal. I look for Bettendorf to get beat in the consolation game. Its too bad that the best teams in the MAC (PV and Central) lost leaving Bettendorf to be the lone MAC team in State. I guess that's the way the ball bounces.

Don't know which game you saw on Thursday, SBL had 10 shots on goal. Couple of bad bounces of the bar kept the game from being closer. Granted, SBL was outmanned, but you have to give those 19 boys credit, that program has only been around for three years, not 20+ like Bettendorf.

I am sorry that I put down inaccurate information. Based on the press coverage here on the East side and the Bettendorf's keeper stat of 0 saves (listed in the paper), I assumed that meant that there were 0 shots on goal. In no way did I mean to degrade SBL. Hats off to SBL for making it to state. It was nice to see a new team in the tournament. My main point was that Bettendorf was very much down this year compared to PV or Central. In this side of the state, Bettendorf success is all the press speaks about.

Now, to correct the jaundiced view of eycy above..........

Once again, IOWA CITY WEST was in the 3A finals and came away with another State Championship.

Team Titles:
IOWA CITY WEST 4
W.D.M. Valley 4
Bettendorf 3

Last 3 State Championship matches
2009 Iowa City West 3 Ames 2
2008 Dowling Catholic 1, I.C. West 0
2007 Ankeny 1, I.C. West 0

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT