ADVERTISEMENT

******GAME TALK: Solon vs. Washington******

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
I want to link this post on the front page so keep all game talk/updates/postgame talk here now!

sucks that the audio is 3-4-5 secs ahead of the video.

scoreboard guy gave the Solon 3 point FG to Wash for about 1 minute or more, he must be tired, then he finally switched it to show correct of Solon 3 - Washington 0

I didn't know Solon was playing Warshington.....I thought they were playing Washington.

Must be one of those Missurah teams that snuck into the Iowa playoffs right under the Association's nose. It happens.

Washington looks like they can move the ball, esp on the ground. But they put it up deep----INT. Pretty much self-destructing right now.

Solon just got robbed on a Terrible call. Fake punt by Washington with 5 mintues to go. They come up 3 yards short, knee clearly down and the kid fumbles it forward to the first down marker where Washington maybe recovers, but it appeared out of bounds.
A couple of plays later Washington scores a long TD.

14-9 Washington.
That was a brutal mistake by the refs that could cost Solon the game.
I hope not. That shouldn't have happened.

This post was edited on 11/14 10:30 PM by Pinehawk

I missed it on the live link. Wow. That's sucks.

How did Washington get the ball back after they threw the pick. My livestream wouldn't load.

The officiating all year long has been less than par, and the playoffs, it should have been better with IHSAA assigned officials - but it has not.

I think this year's officiating is one of the worst I can recall in the past 35 years or more.

Originally posted by navyrules:
Did Wash onside the next kick or did Solon just fumble it?
It was a legitimate fumble reaching for extra yards.

Going back to that fake punt fumble and recovery...
Can you even fumble a ball forward and recover it for a first down? If so, why wouldn't every team fumble on purpose if they weren't going to reach the first down on a fake punt?

Solon fumbled . . .

P.S. What a terribly officiated game. Embarrassingly bad call on the fumble and recovery on the Washington fake punt.

No you cannot recover a forward fumble on fourth down...

On a play from scrimmage, if an offensive player fumbles anywhere on the field during fourth down, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If any player fumbles after the two-minute warning in a half, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If recovered by any other offensive player, the ball is dead at the spot of the fumble unless it is recovered behind the spot of the fumble. In that case, the ball is dead at the spot of recovery. Any defensive player may recover and/or advance any fumble at any time.

Originally posted by iowahawk24:

On a play from scrimmage, if an offensive player fumbles anywhere on the field during fourth down, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If any player fumbles after the two-minute warning in a half, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If recovered by any other offensive player, the ball is dead at the spot of the fumble unless it is recovered behind the spot of the fumble. In that case, the ball is dead at the spot of recovery. Any defensive player may recover and/or advance any fumble at any time.
Just curious where you got this rule from? With terms like '2 minute warning' it doesn't sound like a high school rule.

Then the refs made two huge mistakes. The runner was clearly down, and the ball was fumbled forward and recovered by another player (who appeared to be out of bounds).
I know it's a tough job, but that's a big mistake in a big game.

At least Solon had a chance at the end, but they came up just short.

Originally posted by Pinehawk:

Then the refs made two huge mistakes. The runner was clearly down, and the ball was fumbled forward and recovered by another player (who appeared to be out of bounds).
I know it's a tough job, but that's a big mistake in a big game.

At least Solon had a chance at the end, but they came up just short.
I was rooting for Solon and it sounds like they got screwed. But I am pretty sure that NFHS doesn't have the 4th down forward fumble rules that the NCAA and NFL does to prevent something like this from happening. Time for a change. Wow.

When you have to kick fg's and can't get in the endzone.One play is not going to cost you a game.But yes that was a bad call.
Solon played really tough no doubt a lot better team then I expected.
This post was edited on 11/14 11:09 PM by bigfridaynite

Here is what I found when researching the comparison between the three levels:

11. ADVANCING FUMBLES

HIGH SCHOOL:

A fumble recovered or caught by any player of either team on any down may be advanced. (7-4-2)

COLLEGE:

When a backward pass or fumble is caught or recovered by any inbounds player, the ball continues in play (7-2-
2; AR 2-23-1 I) with the following exceptions:

(1) A Team A fumble on a try, (8-3-2-d-5)

(2) On 4th down before a change in team possession, when a Team A fumble is caught or recovered by a

Team A player other than the fumbler, the ball is dead. If the catch or recovery is beyond the spot of the
fumble, the ball is returned to the spot of the fumble. If the catch or recovery is behind the spot of the
fumble, the ball remains at the spot of the catch or recovery.

PRO:

Fumbles can occur (1) during play during the "normal" game (8-7-3), (2) after the 2-minute warnings of either
half (8-7-6), (3) during fourth-downs (8-7-5) and (4) during Tries. (8-7-5-Note 2)

(1) During the "normal" time of a game, any player of either team may recover or catch a fumble and
advance, either before or after it the ball strikes the ground with the 3-other exceptions. (8-7-3, Case Book AR 8.113 to
8.118)

(2) If a fumble by either team occurs after the 2-minute warning:

(a) The ball may be advanced by any opponent.

(b) The player who fumbled is the only Team A player permitted to recover and advance the ball.
(c) If the recovery or catch is by a teammate of the player who fumbled, the ball is dead and the

spot of the next snap is the spot of the fumble, or the spot of the recovery if the spot of the

recovery is behind the spot of the fumble. (8-7-6, Case Book AR 8.110 to 8.112)
(3) If a 4th-down fumble occurs during a play from scrimmage:

(a) The ball may be advanced by any member of the defensive team. (8-7-5 (a))

(b) The player who fumbled is the only Team A player permitted to recover and advance the ball.

(8-7-5 (b))

(c) If the recovery or catch is by a teammate of the player who fumbled, the ball is dead and

the spot of the next snap is the spot of the fumble, or the spot of the recovery if the spot of the

recover is behind the spot of the fumble. (8-7-5 (c))

Note: After a change of possession has occurred, the restrictions in (a) and (b) are no longer in effect for the remainder
of the game. (8-7-5 Note 1; Rule Book AR 8.57 to 8.62)

(4) If the fumble occurs during a Try throughout the game, the restrictions of (b) and (c), of the 4th down
fumble rule ((#3 above) apply. (Case Book AR 11.6; AR 3.32)

In addition, there is not a difference on whether the ball was recoverd out of bounds or not. If the ball is fumbled forward out of bounds, it does not have to be recovered in order to stay with the possessing team. A fumble is in team possession until clearly being recovered legally in bounds.

I am not a high school football official, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

Originally posted by alwaysthecoach:
In addition, there is not a difference on whether the ball was recoverd out of bounds or not. If the ball is fumbled forward out of bounds, it does not have to be recovered in order to stay with the possessing team. A fumble is in team possession until clearly being recovered legally in bounds.

I am not a high school football official, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)
Unfortunately, and ridiculously this may also be true. The refs can deem that it's an illegal forward pass though which can put a stop to all this nonsense.

Originally posted by alwaysthecoach:
The Washington kid was clearly NOT trying to fumble the ball. It popped loose when his arm hit the ground.
I was unable to see the play... are you saying he was clearly down?

Yes, I was at the game. Saw the play live and thought he was down. Then, saw the slow mo replay multiple times on the big screen in the stadium clearly showing the blown call..........

I actually felt a little bad for the official that missed the call because the fake ran right up his sideline where he had vacated to get down the field to get into position to cover the punt.

And did his elbow hit down after his knee hit down? The fumbling forward rule is immaterial to this play.

That's why Iowa needs to catch up to the rest of the country and use 7 man officiating crews. Then that official wouldn't have to vacate his area in order to cover the punt. With these spread offenses and goofy punt formations, calls like this will go on to be missed because your expecting 5 sets of eyes to watch what 22 people are doing. Its not possible most of the time.

This was a great game regardless, both teams played hard and it was a fun game to watch. Both teams should be proud, they played their hearts out. I was impressed with both teams.

Actually that's exactly what it means. If Solon scores touchdowns on just two of the three redzone trips and the game wouldn't have been within reach. Field goals left Washington in the game. That was an awful call on the fake punt ... clearly he was down (knees and his elbow hit well before the ball slams the ground and pops loose). That said, Washington still made a big play for the touchdown, so I'll give them props on that.

First I will say Wash won the game 14-9. So that is done. Congratulations to them, great team and good luck against Heelan.

As others have stated, the officials made a collaborated horrendous call on that 4th down. That call led to Washington keeping possession and eventually scoring. Would the outcome had been any different if Solon was given the ball on downs (as it should have been) we will never know.

What really weighs on me is the gravity of the call that these officials botched will forever be a scar on the players, coaches and fans. They have tarnished what was a GREAT game by both teams, anyone that would go against that has probably never competed in their life. The officials played a direct role in the outcome of the game, my hope is that they never wear an officials uniform again. They (the officials) should walk into their lockers, hang up their stripes, whistles and hats and resign. I would not want this outcome for anyone's team -

Lastly I would like to ask for prayers as it was just relayed to me that one of the students cars on the way home from the game rolled over and a young lady was ejected.

Originally posted by meandmyshadow:
First I will say Wash won the game 14-9. So that is done. Congratulations to them, great team and good luck against Heelan.
The officials played a direct role in the outcome of the game, my hope is that they never wear an officials uniform again. They (the officials) should walk into their lockers, hang up their stripes, whistles and hats and resign. I would not want this outcome for anyone's team -
Never ref again? I see on television all the time where calls are not correct. When the play is coming right at the ref like described, it is really tough to see the whole thing when it is that close. Whoever runs the replay board at the dome should be in trouble. Freezing the play is completely out of line. When I see any professional ref/umpire miss calls, I realize they are the very best in the world and is also their profession. High school refs do this because they enjoy the game and want to do a good job. This is NOT their profession and you are getting the best in the state. If anyone wonders why we have a shortage of umpires and referees, just read this link and you should figure it out that why would anyone want to do it and become an internet discussion. They don't miss it on purpose and don't deserve this kind of bashing. The kids and refs are trying to do their best and mistakes happen. It is disappointing but stand back and look at it from a human point of view and not just a fanatic point of view.

one play does not decide who wins or who loses that game. There were several times where Solon has the ball and could of scored a TD, but instead kicked FG. Washington's defense is very good and that was the difference in this game.

To say those officials should never ref again is stupid. Those guys go out there and try their hardest to call a good game. That is a tough call, because no matter what one side is going to be upset and the other side is going to be happy. These guys do not have the benefit of instant replay like the big boys do. They have to make a call at full speed and go with it. I thought those officials had a great game and deserved to be officiating a semi-final game.

If those guys should never be allowed to officiate again, then some coaches should not be allowed to coach again. Coaches make mistakes all the time, does that mean they should hang up their clipboard because of one mistake? I don't think so.

Once again that was a great game overall, both teams were fun to watch.

I don't think the player intentionally tried to fumble forward but overexposed the ball trying to squeeze too much from the play.

IMO the player was clearly down but IDK if the officials blew the call or just decided they would not interject themselves and let it play out (which if the call is clear it is blowing the call).

WIthout the ability for a review and potential reversal, I don't see what good could come from replaying the controversial play over and over again both on TV and on the screen at the field. Nothing good and only harm can come from that.

Congrats to both teams....helluva game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT