ADVERTISEMENT

******GAME TALK: Regina vs. St. Edmond******

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
I want to link this post on the front page so keep all game talk/updates/postgame talk here now! Also get your picks in before things kick off as well!

St. Eds can't stop Regina's running game. Gaels got some big pass plays in first Q but couldnt punch it in the Regina redzone. 7-0 Regals 2 min left in 1st.

14-0 Regina..not sure what St. Edmonds is doing with there pass defense..very bad coverage whatever there playing. Regina is also able to run, this might be a long day

Regina converts on a 4th and 6 and then a bunch of missed tackles and Regina scores. Up 21-0 with 6:33 left in 2nd.

unbelievable hustle and effort by Regina's Amelon strips the ball on a 50 yard run and Regina recovers

O'Tool for SE with a huge run and fumbles inside the 20 of Regina. Regals cover at own 8 yard line.

Regina has ran that play at least 5 times the past 4 years and it has resulted in a TD every time, pretty impressive

Originally posted by 215#:
How does a 1A team afford 15 coaches?
They volunteer because they want to be a part of the program.
It probably looks pretty good on a coaching resume.

I can see state championships would look good on a resume, But tearing up class 1A in Iowa seems like a slow start to a career.

Ha thats funny, they actually have pretty good jobs, sacrifice a lot of their free time for football.

Totally irrelevant to outcome of game, but when Regina had to finally punt, could there have been a worse placement of the ball. Ref appeared to miss spot by at least 7 yards. (On TV anyway)

That is correct. Only 29 players for SE this year. Pretty incredible they didnt lose a game until the finals.

I don't think it's that surprising. SE is a good team and has been a very solid program over the last decade. Regina is simply on a different level and would have been contenders in 2a and 3a. SE needed to play a near flawless game to make this score close. They had a number of opportunities and either turned the ball over themselves or forced a fumble but couldn't get the ball. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same two teams in the finals a year from now. Both schools return some of the better players.

SE isn't that good of a team. Regina could have named the score of that game. There's at least 3 teams from the East side of the state that probably would have beat them. MV, NFV, and obviously my boys from the Ridge.

Originally posted by Duke1983:
SE isn't that good of a team. Regina could have named the score of that game. There's at least 3 teams from the East side of the state that probably would have beat them. MV, NFV, and obviously my boys from the Ridge.
Didn't "your boys from the Ridge" lose 35-3 against Regina? Not to mention they pulled out a win in the final seconds against 5-5 North Cedar with home field advantage. Pretty hard to make an argument that you're significantly better than a team you haven't played. And comparing scores hardly ever means anything. Sigourney played a much better game against Regina than Solon but does that mean Sigourney is better than Solon. There are a handful of teams that could have made an argument for #2 but it doesn't matter at this point. You play the teams that are put in front of you. Regina is by far the best team in the state and probably will be again next year. The others need to focus on trying to catch them rather than worry about who gets the table scraps.

This post was edited on 11/22 4:49 PM by CP84

Originally posted by spook78:

nite nite cinderella
The perpetual SE hater returns when they lose to an team that hasn't lost in years. Isn't this cute.

ARE YOU CATCHING THIS GHOST????????????????

DID YOU JUST SEE THAT BC MOORE'S BIGGEST FAN JUST SAID, "COMPARING SCORES HARDLY EVER MEANS ANYTHING". CP84, DO YOU REALIZE ALL THAT BC MOORE'S RANKINGS ARE IS JUST A COMPARISON OF SCORES?

Originally posted by stickman80:

ARE YOU CATCHING THIS GHOST????????????????

DID YOU JUST SEE THAT BC MOORE'S BIGGEST FAN JUST SAID, "COMPARING SCORES HARDLY EVER MEANS ANYTHING". CP84, DO YOU REALIZE ALL THAT BC MOORE'S RANKINGS ARE IS JUST A COMPARISON OF SCORES?
That's a straw man argument and a simplification of the issue. Comparing an individual game to another is a far cry from an upload of season stats based on multiple games and strength of schedule modifiers. For example, Alabama beat LSU by a wider margin than they beat Mississippi St. So by your logic why did LSU kill Mississippi St.?

However if you look at the BCS standings you would see LSU is clearly better than Mississippi St.

A single game score comparison is a lot different than the BCS standing (or BCMoore standings) after > 6 weeks of data.

So yes BCMoore like Sagarin, BCS and other similar models is a comparison of scores. The key word is scores meaning multiple weeks of data. Each week there is going to be a higher degree of accuracy with BCMoore or BCS because they have more data entries to work with. Comparing one game to another individual game is an entirely different argument and one I never supported.

This post was edited on 11/22 6:31 PM by CP84

In case you were uninformed, Regina has a nice ball club down there in Iowa City. WOWZER. Nite Nite Spook.

Great season from St. Edmond. First championship appearance, the program should only get better from here!

Originally posted by pribs36:
Great season from St. Edmond. First championship appearance, the program should only get better from here!
I have to give Regina credit. For a team that has dominated for this long they have some of the more classy fans in the state.

First of all congrats to both teams. It was a great year for the Gaels, getting to the Dome for the first time ever. They set numerous records this season and really helped, IMO, to push the program to a higher level. They have nothing to be ashamed of, and they know that when they get a chance down the road to look back on this season, they'll really be able to appreciate what they accomplished.

There's not much else you can say about Regina. They're just operating at a level few other schools in the state can match in any class.

Offensively, in Regina's spread, when you can gash teams with that running game, that makes their passing game that much more dangerous. Of course, with the way SE was matching up against their WRs, it looked like Regina was basically taking what the Gaels' defense was giving them...which was the underneath stuff. The vast majority of their passing yards (save for the flea flicker) came after the catch. I think you could count on one hand the number of shots down field Regina took (and they completed them all). SE played softer coverage than I expected them to, but Regina also made some of those plays with their downfield blocking by their receivers. I think the Gaels opted to keep things in front of them and Regina read the defense as such.

On several of Regina's big plays, including a couple of their TDs, the Gaels were there to make the play and got their hands on the ball carrier, but were either just a step slow, or couldn't finish the tackle. The D-line had trouble shedding their blocks in time to make plays. I could point to several plays, but one that stood out was in the 3rd, where Cook ran a delayed draw to either Brinkman or Dixon. He faked the throw in one hand while holding the ball down below his waist in the other before handing it off. The Gaels actually weren't fooled and read the play, and were trying to get to Cook, but just before the DL could shed their blocks to blow the play up, the RB had the ball and broke loose for a decent gain. That was pretty much typical throughout the day. They were able to force a couple turnovers, but couldn't capitalize on them. They forced 5 fumbles total, but the same way they were just out of position to make tackles, they were just late recovering those early fumbles.
But that is also a credit to Regina always being in the right place at the right time, and being able to make their own breaks.

I think it probably surprised a few people to see the Gaels come out throwing as much as they did. Landon Peed might have made a name for himself after the game he had today. Double covered most of the day, and certainly one of those 13 coaches on their staff pointed out that he was their main target, and he still made some ridiculous catches against Regina's star-studded secondary. I don't think a Regina WR could've made the diving catch Landon made on one of SE's first passes.

The Gaels actually had about 4 good chances to put points on the board, but Regina's defense stiffened and either forced a turnover or stopped the Gaels on downs. I think there were times that SE maybe passed when they should've run, but it really is hard against a team like Regina to find a hole consistently. The run game was hit and miss, and when you only get 2 yds on 1st down as a power running team, it's important to "win" on 2nd down to set up a 3rd and manageable (if you don't get the 1st). The Gaels seemed to feel like they would have a better chance by throwing at times especially when they got inside the Regina 30 on a couple of those opportunities. Unfortunately, Regina just made more plays.
At one point, Regina went for broke and put 7 guys on the LOS and rushed them all to try and force something or get pressure on Bocken.

The Gaels showed that they have more than one passing route/play, but they just weren't able to execute consistently enough. It seemed to me that there was actually one route that would've been wide open at least a couple times with Peed and Crimmins if it were an option. After those first couple of short completions, Regina began to tighten up a little bit. Yet even then there was still space at times on those routes, but Bocken just couldn't quite connect with anyone else except Peed. Thus to my point, Bocken was forced out of the pocket on a few of those and was trying to buy time rolling towards the play side. He was waiting for the play to develop and either Crimmins or Averill to get separation, and here's where they could have benefitted from an extra step in those routes. Just a second option to that route ( an out-and-up) would've left at least Crimmins and Peed wide open on 3 occasions, and then it just would've been on Bocken to make the throw over the top. But that isn't currently an option in the Gaels' route running, at least that I've seen. And it was there because on those plays in particular, they had space and their defender was chasing from behind to either undercut the route or try and break up the pass when it got there. They would not have been ready for that second move if they made it, based on the angles the defenders were taking in pass coverage.

But I'm just spit-balling, so take it with a grain of salt.

Gael fans still have to like the future with what they return. T. J. O'Tool will have better days ahead of him (119 yds against one of the best teams in the state today though). He's only a sophomore and learned some valuable lessons in this game to build for the future. He's already got great instincts and field vision for his age and I think he knows what he'll need to work on for next year.
It'll be hard to replace the contribution they got from guys like Hank Crimmins, Robby Burke, Jimmie Averill, Caelan Burbank, and Konrad Lauferswiler (guys who may not often appear in the stat sheet), and especially fullback Vinnie Harvey who leaves as one of the top rushers in school history and set records for both rushing and total TDs in a season and a career, finishing by far and away first in 1A in rushing TDs this year.
But the Gaels only lose 7 seniors (6 starters on either side of the ball), which may be the fewest they've lost in a long time. Then it'll be on next year's group to continue the high level of play that's been established after this year's successful group.

As for Regina, they should easily be the favorites again next year. Drew Cook will be back and will probably be garnering a lot more D-1 looks at QB (at least I believe I read that he hopes to play QB in college). They return a bevy of their WR corp and several of their top defensive players including their leading tackler, Justin Hunter, who was just a sophomore. Of course I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch in the title game next year.
wink.r191677.gif

Again congrats to both teams on their success this season, and good luck going forward. (......sorry for the long read)

Nice recap again DT. I predicted a closer score than the reality but I said before the game that Regina's strengths played to SE's weaknesses and SE's strengths played right into Regina's strengths on defense.

I've never felt SE was a great pass defense. They have success against lesser QBs because they play the bend don't break keep the receiver in front of you style. A good QB like Cook is able to take what they give consistently and not make mistakes others have. The other weakness for SE is dealing with size. We previously discussed their trouble with Manson who was the 2nd biggest team they faced. SE's defensive line wasn't able to handle Regina's line at all and you need to do that with your front 4 since they spread out the linebackers with their passing game.

Regina's biggest weakness appears to be in their secondary. Although they got some INTs most were bad throws. Peed was able to get >100 yards against them but once again SE isn't designed to suddenly become a passing team.

As you mentioned SE had chances to get into the endzone. I believe they found the redzone 3 times in the first half but went out on downs once at about the 10 yard line and turned the ball over the other times. Even when SE appeared to get a break on defense by forcing a fumble, the ball bounced right to Regina. Finally after about the 4th fumble SE landed on one.

I agree that it will be exciting to watch O'Toole, Peed, Bocken and others progress next season. I still think Regina will run away with another title, they are just that good. Any idea if SE has any decent freshman or sophomores coming up to fill the voids for seniors? I don't know anything about their freshman/jv team.

Great win and season for Regina. Classy fans and historic run. It's also hard to root against a team that has former hawks on the sidelines.

even the Messenger called it a storybook season this morn. I aint the only one that can recognize a Cinderella.

I think that every 1A team is vulnerable to the pass..even Regina. When almost every team you play runs the ball 90% of the time or more it is hard to prepare for the passing game as a secondary. I think most of those completions were just great great plays by that WR and some decent throws by the QB, but as I said any 1A team is likely to have problems against a passing team because they simply just don't see it in almost all of their games. Any small school who has a good QB and some targets at receiver is dangerous

Stickman,

You're too late in this one. CP (who is actually someone we have squished before) confuses and contradicts himself so bad he's not even fair game.

If you can't figure this one out you owe me an epic of C 2x wo/wc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT