ADVERTISEMENT

Game day! Quarterfinals!

Charles86

Freshman
Aug 6, 2018
It’s finally game day in the quarterfinal round. Any bold predictions for tonight’s games? Final thoughts?

Bold Prediction: I will not wear enough clothes, and will complain about being cold...you'd think I'd learn.

Ultimately though, I follow Bellevue from a distance, normally get to a game or 2 per year, this year I have seen 3....and you just get a different vibe from this team then the last few years. This team does not seem satisfied with anything, and there just feels like there is more toughness than the last couple good teams they had. No idea if its going to be enough, but its been a lot of fun to follow.

With that, I hope PC players/fans have a safe trip, its a long way to go so I hope both teams put on a hell of a show.

VM is just a force defensively. They hang their hat on that and take a lot of pride in giving you nothing.

Score updates (3rd quarter):

DNH 23- I-35 0
VM 24-WB 14
PC 20 - Bellevue 14
W Sioux 20 - SCC 13

Mason Casssdy is not playing for I35. Oh the sideline all night in street clothes with crutches. Not sure what happened or when but that’s tough to see.

Sometimes injuries knock you out in the playoffs. Other times they knock you out in non-district play.

Reactions: Charles86
27-13 West Sioux (just missed a FG from point blank range).
PC 23 - Bellevue 21
VM 31 - WB 21

Final: DNH 37 - I-35 0.

Final: Van Meter 31 - West Branch 21

Abrahamson runs all over WB, 47 carries! for 244 yards and 2 TD's.

23-21 PC over Bellevue. Congrats to the Eagles with back to back road wins. They will be fun to watch in the dome.

West Sioux tacks on another score. Not over but I believe the semifinals will be:

West Sioux v Van Meter
Pella Christian v Dike-New Hartford

Hell of a game in Bellevue... as expected. PC just made a few more plays, and Bellevue couldn't get a stop when they needed to.

One thing, and who knows what would have happened, 30 seconds left in 1st half, Bellevue 4th down at midfield goes for it... comes up short. PC then goes 30 yards, kicks a field goal, and ends up winning by 2. As a Bellevue fan.... wish we had those 3 points back. Hell of an effort by both teams.

Hell of a game in Bellevue... as expected. PC just made a few more plays, and Bellevue couldn't get a stop when they needed to.

One thing, and who knows what would have happened, 30 seconds left in 1st half, Bellevue 4th down at midfield goes for it... comes up short. PC then goes 30 yards, kicks a field goal, and ends up winning by 2. As a Bellevue fan.... wish we had those 3 points back. Hell of an effort by both teams.

Sounds like a great high school football game with two talented teams. You don’t like to see either lose but that’s how it goes. And yes, you’d certainly like to see how they game might have played out if a different decision was made. Congrats to the Comets on a great season! A lot to be proud of.

CLASS 1A:
Dike-New Hartford 37, Interstate 35, Truro 0
Pella Christian 23, Bellevue 21
Van Meter 31, West Branch 21
West Sioux, Hawarden 34, South Central Calhoun 20

Some weak Districts (and the RPI system) are getting exposed tonight.
Agreed! I hate to admit it,but what noise would Iowa City Ragina have made in the first or second rounds if they were in. Their record was 5-4 but 3 teams they lost to are in the semis (3A Cedar Rapids Xavier, Pella Christian, and Dike New Hartford). Their other lose was 2A Williamsburg who just got beat in the second round. Too bad the Iowa Boy$ Association didn’t listen to the coaches and expand to 32 teams.

Some weak Districts (and the RPI system) are getting exposed tonight.
Care to elaborate on this statement? At this point all teams are good. Yes, some teams didn't qualify for post season, but who's to say those still playing are not quality teams? The RPI is based on your and your opponent's performance this fall. So saying they are exposed sounds like sour grapes. Good luck to those still playing next weekend .

Agreed! I hate to admit it,but what noise would Iowa City Ragina have made in the first or second rounds if they were in. Their record was 5-4 but 3 teams they lost to are in the semis (3A Cedar Rapids Xavier, Pella Christian, and Dike New Hartford). Their other lose was 2A Williamsburg who just got beat in the second round. Too bad the Iowa Boy$ Association didn’t listen to the coaches and expand to 32 teams.
Agreed. Not sure how far Regina would have gone but it looks like they could have done quite well for a round or two. May have made it interesting. We'll never know. Hope this playoff qualifying system goes away after next year. I do not think it was a positive experiment.

Care to elaborate on this statement? At this point all teams are good. Yes, some teams didn't qualify for post season, but who's to say those still playing are not quality teams? The RPI is based on your and your opponent's performance this fall. So saying they are exposed sounds like sour grapes. Good luck to those still playing next weekend .
I don't think PineHawk was saying any of the teams that are in are not good teams. I think what he is saying is that due to weaker/tougher districts (as there are every year), and perhaps less than equal non-district matchups, the best 16 teams may not have gotten in this year.

Reactions: dtk913 and Pinehawk
I think the RPI was pretty good. They may need to make a couple tweaks but Regina would not have lasted in the playoffs. they are an okay team but not playoff worthy. Sorry Regal fans but you did not deserve more than 9 games.

I think the RPI was pretty good. They may need to make a couple tweaks but Regina would not have lasted in the playoffs. they are an okay team but not playoff worthy. Sorry Regal fans but you did not deserve more than 9 games.

I would respectfully disagree on not being playoff worthy. Yes their record and RPI wasn’t good enough. But, I would take them over a few teams that were in the playoff field.

I would respectfully disagree on not being playoff worthy. Yes their record and RPI wasn’t good enough. But, I would take them over a few teams that were in the playoff field.
I would agree with you Charles. Regina was down 35-28 going into the 4th quarter vs DNH. That is substantially better than DNH's two playoff opponents. PC had to come from behind to beat Regina by 3. Always dangerous to make comparisons. However, I think the body of work would suggest that they were worthy (other than RPI).

Regina is a 1 trick pony and would not have won 1 game in the playoffs. Their defense was mediocre at best, and their offense had no running game. 5-4 should not make it. Yes SEP was 4-5 in 4A but that shows RPI is correct.
Obviously they cannot beat the better teams. They played 2 teams that now have 11 wins and 1 that has 8. Not a great resume since they lost to all 3. The only team they beat with a winning record was North Linn.
No doubt they will be back next year but they should not have been in this year. You can't put them in on name alone.

Regina is a 1 trick pony and would not have won 1 game in the playoffs. Their defense was mediocre at best, and their offense had no running game. 5-4 should not make it. Yes SEP was 4-5 in 4A but that shows RPI is correct.
Obviously they cannot beat the better teams. They played 2 teams that now have 11 wins and 1 that has 8. Not a great resume since they lost to all 3. The only team they beat with a winning record was North Linn.
No doubt they will be back next year but they should not have been in this year. You can't put them in on name alone.

I agree that they shouldn’t be in. That’s not what we’re talking about. I was saying there’s at least a couple of teams they would beat in the playoffs. I’ll take them over Treynor, Mount Ayr, and South Hamilton. Maybe Osage as well.

Reactions: Pinehawk
You’re never going to get fair and equal districts nor is every fan base going to be happy. It’s about matchups and in sports A > B > C doesn’t not mean A > C. Any given Friday.

Hats off to a first class team (SCC) Hard Hitting, Great Tackling, Well coached team. A long drive, but we were received by fans that wished us good luck before and after the game. Ya gotta love small town Iowa high school football.

Don’t forget they have the best announcer in the state ;)

Reactions: Digger12
I don't think PineHawk was saying any of the teams that are in are not good teams. I think what he is saying is that due to weaker/tougher districts (as there are every year), and perhaps less than equal non-district matchups, the best 16 teams may not have gotten in this year.

"Less than equal non-district matchups" that is a pretty big understatement. Certain schools should be pretty happy with how the matchups were set up for this cycle.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Teams get to choose in non-district. They do not randomly put teams against each other. It was the team's choices whether they played tough or easy teams.

Schools put in the teams they want to play in order and the state tries to do what they can to get the teams that are on the list in order. Ask your high school coach. Do not assume you know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT