ADVERTISEMENT

Game day! Quarterfinals!

Until this RPI thing takes into consideration point differential like BCMoore does it will have a hard time proving its validity in my opinion. Obviously you can't just have it where teams want to run it up, but at least a +/-17 needs to be taken into consideration. I wish RPI rankings would continue throughout the playoffs like BCMoore does so you could see how well the system is working. Pretty sure the RPI rankings would still have SCC over West Sioux and I-35 over DNH. We need a coaches poll ran by the coaches association. Then use a combination of the RPI, BCMoore, and coaches poll to determine "actual" rankings. Basically how they use to do it in college football. It seems so simple to me. I'm still for 8 game schedules with 32 team playoffs with teams not making the playoffs competing against each other in week 9. Sure it's more work, but get those gray hairs in Boone to earn their paycheck.

Schools put in the teams they want to play in order and the state tries to do what they can to get the teams that are on the list in order. Ask your high school coach. Do not assume you know.

'The state tries to do what they can' you realize that supports my position that it's not 100% that teams pick who they play in ND don't you. If I put you #1 on my list and you don't put me on your list at all how does the state handle that?

Teams get to choose in non-district. They do not randomly put teams against each other. It was the team's choices whether they played tough or easy teams.
True, teams get to list desired matchups. That doesn't always mean they play. Some teams got everyone they wanted, some got one. Teams beging penalized for playing up a class, or two, doesn't make sense. Quite honestly, under the current system, they probably even shouldn't allow it but that is probably not possible. Under the current format, why do we even have district play? I guess the district champ goes but why not go straight to RPI then? There is no real reason under the current format to even have district play or make all 9 games district games. Yes the district champ gets in but this system really doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think point differential is not as much of a concern as playing a different class. The RPI is a good start, but like I said before, it does need a little tweaking. Obviously the Power rankings are not always correct either. Before the last set of games, they had Bellevue killing Pella Christian by 24 points. It is now adjusted down to 15. So the power rankings are not perfect either. It is good they are trying to do something. It is just trial and error at this point unless everyone makes the playoffs. Then no one has a complaint.

I’m stuck on 32 teams, call it a play in game if you don’t want to call it playoffs. With how things are playing out in my opinion Regina is the 4th best team in 1A and was not allowed a chance. Had Pella Christian Lost to 3A Oskaloosa in week 1, they wouldn’t had made the playoffs. They would have been 5-4 with 4 losses to undefeated regular season teams. But here they are in the Semi-Finals. Basically what I’m saying is the state is moving backwards not forwards. I’d rather complain about 3-6 teams making the playoffs then possible Semifinals teams not making the playoffs.

If, if, if. We could say what if any team beat another team. They didn't. So suck it up Regina fan your streak is done. They are not that good this year. Boo Hoo. By the way if you look at it PC would have probably been in at 5-4. With 2 losses they would have been top 3 or 4 team. With 3 they were #8. Would Regina be able to beat some of the teams in the playoffs? Maybe, but they needed to beat the teams in the regular season to get there.

I’m not a Regina fan but I am a fan of doing things right. There are 3 teams in 1A that have been thought of as the top level teams all year Van Meter, DNH, and West Sioux. The next level of teams are fighting to be relevant. I can promise you West Branch, Wilton, Pella Christian, and Bellevue we’re cheering so hard for DNH week 9, because deep down they knew they had know chance to beat Regina in the playoffs.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Trust me, that was not the case. the only reason people would cheer against Regina is to knock them down off their high and mighty pedestals. No team should be afraid to play a team that can only beat 1 rated team during the regular season. Colfax Mingo was 5-4 and beat the same amount of teams with a winning record. Maybe they should have been in it by the same reasoning. Oh I guess they do not have the same reputation. Get the past out olive in the present. They were not good enough period.

It's interesting that PC and ICR must have been some of the few teams requesting to play an extremely challenging ND slate. They should have followed the easier schedule model that some other teams used to hang their banner and celebrate the playoffs with few if any quality wins.

Reactions: Pinehawk
It's interesting that PC and ICR must have been some of the few teams requesting to play an extremely challenging ND slate. They should have followed the easier schedule model that some other teams used to hang their banner and celebrate the playoffs with few if any quality wins.
It paid off for PC but not for ICR. PC was in a week district so I am sure they thought that they were guaranteed in but obviously not. ICR had a tougher team in their district so I am not sure their thought process. We will see how next year pans out for all the teams.

Until this RPI thing takes into consideration point differential like BCMoore does it will have a hard time proving its validity in my opinion. Obviously you can't just have it where teams want to run it up, but at least a +/-17 needs to be taken into consideration. I wish RPI rankings would continue throughout the playoffs like BCMoore does so you could see how well the system is working. Pretty sure the RPI rankings would still have SCC over West Sioux and I-35 over DNH. We need a coaches poll ran by the coaches association. Then use a combination of the RPI, BCMoore, and coaches poll to determine "actual" rankings. Basically how they use to do it in college football. It seems so simple to me. I'm still for 8 game schedules with 32 team playoffs with teams not making the playoffs competing against each other in week 9. Sure it's more work, but get those gray hairs in Boone to earn their paycheck.

I do like a system where the relative strength of a team is a factor and I agree that some kind of margin cap goes into place (teams will still run up scores for various reasons, but as long as it doesn't impact the playoff selection).

I was in favor of dropping to 16 because it took away those scary Monday and Wednesdays. So, I like the idea of including 32 teams and 8 weeks with a "Consolation week 9. Could even have a consolation week 10 matchup of the week 9 winners against first round playoff losers (give an extra game to the teams who are on the bubble - a chance to have an extra game and maybe build a culture of looking to next year.

Now, who's going to be sure this gets attention in Boone? We can come up with great ideas here, but if nobody even looks at or considers it, it hasn't been any good.

I’m not a Regina fan but I am a fan of doing things right. There are 3 teams in 1A that have been thought of as the top level teams all year Van Meter, DNH, and West Sioux. The next level of teams are fighting to be relevant. I can promise you West Branch, Wilton, Pella Christian, and Bellevue we’re cheering so hard for DNH week 9, because deep down they knew they had know chance to beat Regina in the playoffs.
I guess PC had no hope of beating them in the playoffs since they already beat them this year at Regina. Makes sense to me??

I guess PC had no hope of beating them in the playoffs since they already beat them this year at Regina. Makes sense to me??

I wonder if having a starting qb in a 3 pt loss would have made an impact. Lots of what ifs. They didn't win enough to get in, need to win more. Assuming they have won a game or two against the team you support. Probably fairly convincing wins as well. Would you rather be the team people root against because of the success you have had or the teams rooting against them because you don't have that success? I know which one I would like to be. Enjoy the dome, it's a great experience.

It paid off for PC but not for ICR. PC was in a week district so I am sure they thought that they were guaranteed in but obviously not. ICR had a tougher team in their district so I am not sure their thought process. We will see how next year pans out for all the teams.
Nothing will change next year will it?

Aren't the schedules set already? we just flip home and away from this year. As I see it nothing changes until season after next, unless I'm missing something.

PC would not have won that game at the end of the year, they caught Regina crippled and still barely won. Good Luck this week you will need it!

You can never overlook anyone at this time of the season. PC will come will a good game plan and will be extremely motivated to knock of DNH. It will be a good game with a lot of talented players.

You can never overlook anyone at this time of the season. PC will come will a good game plan and will be extremely motivated to knock of DNH. It will be a good game with a lot of talented players.

I think DNH is too strong across the lines. PC didn't appear physical when I watched films but they shield enough to make plays.

I agree that PC will have a good game plan, will have some talented players, and will be motivated. I agree with Beastmode, in that I expect DNH to win. I just don't think PC has the size or depth to get DNH this year. Maybe another year. We will all find out on Friday.

I wonder if having a starting qb in a 3 pt loss would have made an impact. Lots of what ifs. They didn't win enough to get in, need to win more. Assuming they have won a game or two against the team you support. Probably fairly convincing wins as well. Would you rather be the team people root against because of the success you have had or the teams rooting against them because you don't have that success? I know which one I would like to be. Enjoy the dome, it's a great experience.
I want to be the team still in the playoffs-which my team is.

It paid off for PC but not for ICR. PC was in a week district so I am sure they thought that they were guaranteed in but obviously not.

Really? I-35 would have given DNH much more of a battle had they had Mason Cassidy. I've seen the film, they just never played well in that game. No intensity.

Reactions: Charles86
I agree. Cassady would have helped on both sides of the ball and made it a more competitive game.
I am sure he would have helped on both sides of the ball. That being said, 37 points is a lot to make up. Not sure it would have jeopardized the final outcome, however.

Maybe you should talk to your school's coaches. They send in what teams they want to play. It is not random at all.

A wise man said that 'the state does what they can' to accommodate those choices. I am sure if Regina had put Dowling, Valley and Cedar Falls on their list that would have happened.

Long story short:

There are four teams in the Semis. Let's not take away from the hard work all the teams and athletes put in this year, (yes, including the Regals - hats off to a great program) but there are only four teams in. No use griping or arguing about what could have been. If you're upset about it, then your team should have won. Period.

It comes down to this.

Pella Christian VS Dike-New Hartford
Van Meter VS West Sioux

Congrats guys. Enjoy the experience, it's one most don't get to have.

Long story short:

There are four teams in the Semis. Let's not take away from the hard work all the teams and athletes put in this year, (yes, including the Regals - hats off to a great program) but there are only four teams in. No use griping or arguing about what could have been. If you're upset about it, then your team should have won. Period.

It comes down to this.

Pella Christian VS Dike-New Hartford
Van Meter VS West Sioux

Congrats guys. Enjoy the experience, it's one most don't get to have.

Agree. Excited for the semifinal round to get started on Thursday. Should be a great three days of competition. Great atmosphere and memories made for a lifetime.

Agree. Excited for the semifinal round to get started on Thursday. Should be a great three days of competition. Great atmosphere and memories made for a lifetime.

Should be some great games. Interested in seeing what West Sioux brings to the table.

Should be some great games. Interested in seeing what West Sioux brings to the table.

Dekkers and Lynott are a great combo. Both juniors that do a lot for West Sioux. Just like Abrahamson and Potthoff for Van Meter are both juniors. Both teams are set up for at least next year as well. Should be fun to watch those players try to top one another.

Really? I-35 would have given DNH much more of a battle had they had Mason Cassidy. I've seen the film, they just never played well in that game. No intensity.
Do you really think PC thought anyone in the district would give them a run? I35 did not last year and my assumption is they did not think they would this year either. I did not think they would. Just proves anyone can beat anyone on a given day.

Maybe you should talk to your school's coaches. They send in what teams they want to play. It is not random at all.
Correct, but it's still up to the state and the lists provided by the other teams. Schedule making is incredibly difficult when you're dealing with 50-some teams per class, scheduling out-of-class games, and keeping the 5 home/4 away split.

Correct, but it's still up to the state and the lists provided by the other teams. Schedule making is incredibly difficult when you're dealing with 50-some teams per class, scheduling out-of-class games, and keeping the 5 home/4 away split.

Pesky facts

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT