ADVERTISEMENT

FREE FRIDAY: Top Pitchers in the Class of 2012

Jake Stolley of Linn-Mar deserves to be on this list 37 IP, 4-1, 1.14 era, .200 Opp BA, 57 Ks, 12 BB

There is also a pitcher that has won 12 games, has a sub 1.00 era, was 1st team all-state a year ago & has a scholarship to Iowa. Also defending state champs & went 38-1 this year, but he is not on the list even though the 3rd best pitcher on this list is. This omission alone is all you need to know about this list. And don't give me the "he is listed at another position" nonsense. This says the top 150 pitchers. That is what it should be.

Originally posted by iowa12:

There is also a pitcher that has won 12 games, has a sub 1.00 era, was 1st team all-state a year ago & has a scholarship to Iowa. Also defending state champs & went 38-1 this year, but he is not on the list even though the 3rd best pitcher on this list is. This omission alone is all you need to know about this list. And don't give me the "he is listed at another position" nonsense. This says the top 150 pitchers. That is what it should be.
Never said 150 pitchers. No idea where you got that from.

So players can't be listed at another spot? They HAVE to be at pitcher or it is invalid?

Then how do you list Mack Mattke as a pitcher?? he's a .389 hitter with 4 HRs but as a pitcher he has a 5.65 era and opp BA is .365.. sounds like he should be considered a first baseman not a pitcher for your lists.

correct. The title says "Top Pitchers in the Class of 2012". when one of the top isn't listed in the top 150, you can surely see the confusion. It's not like it's an all-state team where you have to back guys into certain positions.

Originally posted by MVCR:
Then how do you list Mack Mattke as a pitcher?? he's a .389 hitter with 4 HRs but as a pitcher he has a 5.65 era and opp BA is .365.. sounds like he should be considered a first baseman not a pitcher for your lists.
He probably should be there. If a kid stands out early in his career at one spot, he usually stays at that spot unless I receive an updated position.

correct. The title says "Top Pitchers in the Class of 2012". when one of the top isn't listed in the top 150, you can surely see the confusion. It's not like it's an all-state team where you have to back guys into certain positions.
Where are you getting the top 150 from?

ok..."top pitchers in the class of 2012". Does it matter? It doesn't say..."top pitchers that do not play any other position on the field". It says top pitchers so that's what it should be. Whe you leave obvious top pitchers off, you are going to get this reaction.

I hate to step in on such a petty argument, but Cale Henke for Hudson has 11HR(Tied for 3rd) .733OBP(1st in 2A) and he is being listed on here. He has a K/BB ratio that is nearly as good as Calvin Mathews and I assume that is mainly why he is listed, but I think he rightfully deserves to be listed as a 2nd/3rd/SS with those hitting numbers.

ok..."top pitchers in the class of 2012". Does it matter? It doesn't say..."top pitchers that do not play any other position on the field". It says top pitchers so that's what it should be. Whe you leave obvious top pitchers off, you are going to get this reaction.
Not disagreeing with this at all. There are a lot of athletes who play a ton of different spot and their positions are debatable in some cases.

Not sure what reaction I was looking for in a free article but as I said, the athletes are listed elsewhere. If they weren't listed at all, then you can be mad at the world. But with them being listed somewhere, I think these talented athletes will be okay.

As I questioned, I don't get where you were getting the top 150 from. That was my main question from you.

your titles are misleading. You say top pitchers when in reality, you are simply making all state lists. The problem is that an all state list is typically just three teams so you are picking the best players & then backing into positions. In this massive list, what you are doing does not make sense & defeats the purpose.

your titles are misleading. You say top pitchers when in reality, you are simply making all state lists. The problem is that an all state list is typically just three teams so you are picking the best players & then backing into positions. In this massive list, what you are doing does not make sense & defeats the purpose.
My purpose of this site in general is to help promote high school athletics and as many high school athletes as possible. While it apparently does not fit perfect into your criteria, I think it fits with my general purpose of what I am trying to do with the site. My apologies that it doesn't fit what you are looking for.

Wow. What a bunch of whiny pussies. STFU and be thankful that someone even does this work.

It's kind of like the dip$hits that bitch about BC Moore.

images

Moore's Rankings are purely.....

images

(Gee Circle I kinda like that Cardinal color....surprised it's even allowed on the Hawkeye Report!!)

Big difference between Luke and Brent. Luke's writings are his journalistic opinion and he never tries to state different or force them on you as being the gospel according to the book of Luke. Much different than how Brent views his rankings!

This post was edited on 7/9 12:45 PM by stickman80

Originally posted by stickman80:

Moore's Rankings are purely.....

images

(Gee Circle I kinda like that Cardinal color....surprised it's even allowed on the Hawkeye Report!!)

Big difference between Luke and Brent. Luke's writings are his journalistic opinion and he never tries to state different or force them on you as being the gospel according to the book of Luke. Much different than how Brent views his rankings!

This post was edited on 7/9 12:45 PM by stickman80

Stick, I've never heard Brent say anything such as his rankings are "the gospel". In fact, Brent seems to be extremely modest about his rankings. Even when someone challenges him. It is hard however, to argue with his accuracy. Much closer than any human polls.

Luke's rankings are based on opinion and knowledge. Correct. Brent's are basically based on mathematics. Neither are wrong. They are simply tools. I would argue that both are as good of a tool as you will find anywhere. (Looks not really a "tool")

People get entirely too worked up over both of them. I simply am appreciative that we have these 2 doing this work. I'm not sure people really understand how lucky we are to have them. It really helps further conversations about HS sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT