ADVERTISEMENT

First official RPI

Basically this is a glorified point system. This is really no different than what they have had the 30-40yrs.

I guess you can call it what you want, but you are back to where a Co-District Champ is at large and might not make the Playoffs.

A team with a losing record can displace a team with winning record like we seen last year. I will assume next year you will see them go back to penalizing a team that loses to a lower class team which should have happened.

In fact a team with a losing record can displace a co-district champ.
Just on the "RPI" system and I think you will see that happen sometime in the future

Last edited:
That team with a losing record (Southeast Polk) did win two games - beating the undefeated top seed and an 8-2 team - and reached the semifinals, so maybe RPI knew something we didn’t?

(I’m not saying RPI is perfect, but a one-season sample hasn’t shown me any huge flaws yet.)

That team with a losing record (Southeast Polk) did win two games - beating the undefeated top seed and an 8-2 team - and reached the semifinals, so maybe RPI knew something we didn’t?

(I’m not saying RPI is perfect, but a one-season sample hasn’t shown me any huge flaws yet.)
Maybe, but you should not displace a co-district champ with a team with a lesser win/loss record. I think that will happen just reading the rules.

I wish I could pull up all the posts for years past when they went to 32team playoff and people were bent out of shape that a team with a losing record was in the playoffs.

Maybe back then the RPI would have been a good time to test how many 3-6 or 4-5 teams had a legitimate chance of being in the playoffs.

I do like the way they seed the Final Four, I will not argue that. That is the best thing the RPI is good for.

It's just as likely a 4-5 team, like Iowa City West, could co-champion a district. They would get a playoff spot(and a home game!). How is that any better than an at-large team garnering a bid with a losing record?

Reactions: CF_93
With the teams in spots leading districts and in the top 16, I think the bracket would look like this, perhaps...

Bracket A
Dubuque Senior @ Cedar Falls
Bettendorf @ Linn-Mar

Bracket B
Ankeny @ West Des Moines Valley
Sioux City East @ Johnston

Bracket C
Fort Dodge @ Ankeny Centennial
Marshalltown @ Des Moines Roosevelt

Bracket D
Southeast Polk @ West Des Moines Dowling
Cedar Rapids Prairie @ Cedar Rapids Kennedy

I think under the new changes, Dowling would be #3 and Centennial #4. Lower seeding would also move Linn Mar up 1 spot due to head to head wins.

Will be fun to watch shifts in last 3 weeks.

It's just as likely a 4-5 team, like Iowa City West, could co-champion a district. They would get a playoff spot(and a home game!). How is that any better than an at-large team garnering a bid with a losing record?

When I read the rules and if I understand them correctly, if you tie for district championship, the higher RPI of the two is the Champ. The odd team out gets thrown back in the pool at a at large spot. Thus putting them in the pecking order of the RPI System, this not guarantee them a spot at all. Unless they have a better RPI rating of the remaining teams.

Now is it possible a team with a losing record that's not a Co-District Champ with a 4-5 record can knock out

if I read the rules right and I could be wrong, a co-district champion with the worse RPI gets thrown back into the at large pool and then to secure a playoff spot it has to have a better RPI then the remaining teams. So a 7-2 District Runner-up may not make the playoff is you have another team like SE Polk come along.

you can have a two way tie, There way tie for district champ, but only one qualified outright the other team or teams are at the mercy of the RPI System. Maybe I read the rules wrong

With the teams in spots leading districts and in the top 16, I think the bracket would look like this, perhaps...

Bracket A
Bettendorf @ Linn-Mar

Bracket B

Bracket C

Bracket D
I doubt bracket c would shake out like that, they are all in the same district.

I think you’re right in some ways, franky. Two-way ties for the district title, though, would be decided by head-to-head, not RPI. Ties between three or more teams would be decided by RPI, as you said, with the highest RPI getting the title. In both cases, everyone else gets put back in the at-large pool.

"I doubt bracket c would shake out like that, they are all in the same district."

My bad...you're 100% correct.

When I read the rules and if I understand them correctly, if you tie for district championship, the higher RPI of the two is the Champ. The odd team out gets thrown back in the pool at a at large spot. Thus putting them in the pecking order of the RPI System, this not guarantee them a spot at all. Unless they have a better RPI rating of the remaining teams.

Now is it possible a team with a losing record that's not a Co-District Champ with a 4-5 record can knock out

if I read the rules right and I could be wrong, a co-district champion with the worse RPI gets thrown back into the at large pool and then to secure a playoff spot it has to have a better RPI then the remaining teams. So a 7-2 District Runner-up may not make the playoff is you have another team like SE Polk come along.

you can have a two way tie, There way tie for district champ, but only one qualified outright the other team or teams are at the mercy of the RPI System. Maybe I read the rules wrong
A 7-2 district runner-up that isn't in the top 16 in the RPI
a) Played a garbage non-district schedule, and
b) Played in a garbage district.
They would have no one to blame but themselves.

I don't understand the idea of rewarding teams that purposely play a weak schedule to bolster their record at the expense of teams that play 3-4 high-quality non-district games just because the former has a better record.

When I read the rules, of you tie for district championship, the higher RPI
I think you’re right in some ways, franky. Two-way ties for the district title, though, would be decided by head-to-head, not RPI. Ties between three or more teams would be decided by RPI, as you said, with the highest RPI getting the title. In both cases, everyone else gets put back in the at-large pool.
It's probably more complicated than that even, because then it would be head to head competition and really hard to determine who goes where.

I think I had a scenario where #14 Ankeny doesn't make the playoffs. Thanks for the more precise rules

I don't understand the idea of rewarding teams that purposely play a weak schedule to bolster their record at the expense of teams that play 3-4 high-quality non-district games just because the former has a better record.
I'm not sure it would happen, but anything is possible. It would be more like a 5-4 team probably replacing a 7-2 team.

This reminds me of our old point system, back on 1985 Cedar Falls beat Mason City to cause a 3way tie in conference play and Mason City went to the playoffs.

In 1986 Mason City beat CF and CF went to the playoffs. It would have been interesting to see how the RPI really would have worked then

Bracket A
Bettendorf @ Linn-Mar

Bracket B

Bracket C

Bracket D

you are missing Waukee, they easily win their district over Johnston

Marshalltown probably ends up 5-4

SEP and Dowling probably both end up in top 6 or 7, don't see them getting each other round one

you are missing Waukee, they easily win their district over Johnston

Marshalltown probably ends up 5-4

SEP and Dowling probably both end up in top 6 or 7, don't see them getting each other round one
I am NOT missing Waukee. And I don't care what Marshalltown ends up. I think you didn't read my very first line. It's a look at where they are now. No prognostication involved.

Reactions: franky1967
East is 5-1 and #10 in RPI. That will obviously change as they will lose two more, probably blow out fashion, and finish third in their district unless they upset Ankeny the final game of the year. For East, the district set up and scheduling really works out nicely. They can get to the last game of the season with a play off shot. I think last year RPI eliminated them before the Ankeny match up, but I can’t recall if that was from a Thursday night result or the prior week.

Idk RPI at all, so my question for those that do is this: If East loses at home to Dowling, well say 50-0(idk if score matters), and then comes back week 8 and beats DM Lincoln let’s say 35-2... what is the RPI outlook for them, do they have to defeat Dowling because their schedule is the weakest in 4A?

So if you take the top 4 seeds now and play them in the Semis. Who is ranked 3rd and 4th seeing how Dowling beat Centennial?

East is 5-1 and #10 in RPI. That will obviously change as they will lose two more, probably blow out fashion, and finish third in their district unless they upset Ankeny the final game of the year. For East, the district set up and scheduling really works out nicely. They can get to the last game of the season with a play off shot. I think last year RPI eliminated them before the Ankeny match up, but I can’t recall if that was from a Thursday night result or the prior week.

Idk RPI at all, so my question for those that do is this: If East loses at home to Dowling, well say 50-0(idk if score matters), and then comes back week 8 and beats DM Lincoln let’s say 35-2... what is the RPI outlook for them, do they have to defeat Dowling because their schedule is the weakest in 4A?

Just noodling through the numbers, it seems to me East could lose another game and still stay in the top 16, possibly. Two more losses almost certainly eliminate them. I think you're on the right track here ... it appears Ankeny-Sioux City East in Week 9 could very well be for a playoff spot, and the loser is out.

[Scores don't matter for RPI, it's purely wins/losses ... the formula includes your own winning percentage (accounts for 37.5% of the RPI), the winning percentage of the teams you played (another 37.5%), and the winning percentage of the teams they played (the last 25%). That's it.]

Here is a wild swing at final records, seedings, and pairings - I used BC Moore's projections to play out the rest of the season for each team's final record, then guessed at the rest.

District champs = *

16 Dubuque Senior (6-3) at 1 Cedar Falls (9-0) *
9 Southeast Polk (7-2) at 8 Bettendorf (7-2)
---
11 DM Roosevelt (6-3) at 6 Linn-Mar (7-2) *
14 Fort Dodge (6-3) vs 3 WDM Dowling (8-1) * at DM East
---
13 Johnston (6-3) at 4 Centennial (8-1) *
12 CR Prairie (6-3) at 5 CR Kennedy (8-1) *
---
10 Ankeny (6-3) at 7 Waukee (6-3) *
15 Urbandale (6-3) at 2 WDM Valley (9-0) *

Other contenders with winning records:
SC East 6-3 (maybe they'd end up ahead of Urbandale?)
Marshalltown 5-4
Indianola 5-4

Other contenders with winning records:
SC East 6-3 (maybe they'd end up ahead of Urbandale?)

There's so many variables to RPI that I can't be absolutely certain, but if Urbandale finishes 3-0 to be 6-3, and Sioux City East loses 2 of their last 3 to end at 6-3, I don't think there's any way East could stay ahead of Urbandale in RPI. Just plugging those two records in (again, with no changes to OWP or OOWP) has Urbandale around .59-something and East at .5212.

I believe that a 7-2 SEP would have a higher RPI than the loser of the Bett-Kennedy game. There's a chance that a 6-3 Ankeny team could as well.

I know in the past the state has tried to avoid early round rematches. Anyone know if that is still the case? In Spinningbird's scenario, Dubuque Senior would play @ CF in the first round, even though they will have played in week 8.

The wording from the 2018 postseason manual is that “all attempts” will be made to prevent a rematch of a district champion and a runner-up from the same district in the first round. It goes on to say that a district champion could play a district foe *other than the runner up* (an “additional qualifier”) in the first round. Since Prairie would be the D-3 runner up in this scenario with Senior in third, it’s totally plausible that Senior & Cedar Falls could be matched up in the first round.

Prediction: This is with Bettendorf beating Kennedy, Linn-Mar wins their district. Waukee beats Johnston and Ames and IC High only win 1 more game each. Ames and IC High are relevant because they were Cedar Falls non district. Valley's non-district should go 11-1 in the remaining 12 games and Cedar Falls non-district should go 8-4 in the remaining 12 games. This is what would jump Valley over CF.

Here is what the final RPI will look like in my opinion:

1. WDM Valley --- 70.85
2. Cedar Falls ---- 70.46
3. Centennial ----- 68.26
4. Dowling -------- 67.78
5. SE Polk -------- 63.82
6. Bettendorf ----- 62.76
7. CR Kennedy -- 61.15
8. Ankeny --------- 60.07
9. Linn-Mar ------- 59.86
10. Waukee ------ 58.95
11. Dub Senior -- 58.86
12. CR Prairie --- 58.56
13. Urbandale --- 57.30
14. Roosevelt ---- 56.41
15. Ft. Dodge ---- 55.95
16. Johnston ----- 54.92

Dowling jumps Centennial per new rule that if you beat the team directly ahead of you , you jump them. Based on that the brackets would look like:

Bracket 1
16) Johnston @ 1) Valley
8) Ankeny @ 9) Linn-Mar @ Linn-Mar b/c Dist. Champ

Bracket 2
15) Ft. Dodge @ 2)Cedar Falls
7) CR Kennedy @ 10) Waukee @ Waukee b/c Dist. Champ

Bracket 3
14) Roosevelt @ 3) Dowling
11) Dub Senior @ 6) Bettendorf

Bracket 4
13) Urbandale @ 4) Centennial
12) CR Prairie @ 5) SE Polk

I know in the past the state has tried to avoid early round rematches. Anyone know if that is still the case? In Spinningbird's scenario, Dubuque Senior would play @ CF in the first round, even though they will have played in week 8.
Last year Southeast Polk played Centennial in the first round - which was a rematch from a district game. So it happens.

Prediction: This is with Bettendorf beating Kennedy, Linn-Mar wins their district. Waukee beats Johnston and Ames and IC High only win 1 more game each. Ames and IC High are relevant because they were Cedar Falls non district. Valley's non-district should go 11-1 in the remaining 12 games and Cedar Falls non-district should go 8-4 in the remaining 12 games. This is what would jump Valley over CF.

1. WDM Valley --- 70.85
7. CR Kennedy -- 61.15
10. Waukee ------ 58.95
11. Dub Senior -- 58.86
12. CR Prairie --- 58.56
13. Urbandale --- 57.30
14. Roosevelt ---- 56.41
15. Ft. Dodge ---- 55.95
16. Johnston ----- 54.92

Dowling jumps Centennial per new rule that if you beat the team directly ahead of you , you jump them. Based on that the brackets would look like:

Bracket 1
16) Johnston @ 1) Valley

Bracket 2

Bracket 3

Bracket 4
I think the top 4 seeds will remain the same as they are now.

#1 Cedar Falls, only way the lose #1 seed is If they lose

#2 WD Valley beat Dowling, however their strength of the last 3 opponents is 5-13, where CF's is 11-7. If they win out they cannot catch CF and nobody can catch them. Since they beat Dowling, Dowling cannot bump them

#3 Dowling last 3 opponents are left are 5-13, the only way they don't place in the Top 4 is if they lose.

4# Centennial will not lose #4 seed and could move up higher if CF loses one of last 3.

1. WDM Valley --- 70.85
7. CR Kennedy -- 61.15
10. Waukee ------ 58.95
11. Dub Senior -- 58.86
12. CR Prairie --- 58.56
13. Urbandale --- 57.30
14. Roosevelt ---- 56.41
15. Ft. Dodge ---- 55.95
16. Johnston ----- 54.92

Bracket 1
16) Johnston @ 1) Valley

Bracket 2

Bracket 3

Bracket 4

I do like your scenerio, however I'm having a hard time believing SE Polk will finish ahead of Bettendorf, if Bettendorf beats Kennedy

Franky, I played out a lot of scenarios. With IC High losing tonight and Kennedy beating Bett it all but wrapped up Valley as No. 1. Ames will lose out and City High May win 1 game, that’s 3 losses for CF non district. Valley had Waukee, Dowling, Kennedy and SE Polk. The first 3 are winning out and I don’t see how Polk loses to Roosevelt so probably more like 8-0 for valleys non district. Opponents W-L in district will cancel each other out. Indianola beat Johnston so they get in. I’ll post an update tomorrow!

Franky, I played out a lot of scenarios. With IC High losing tonight and Kennedy beating Bett it all but wrapped up Valley as No. 1. Ames will lose out and City High May win 1 game, that’s 3 losses for CF non district. Valley had Waukee, Dowling, Kennedy and SE Polk. The first 3 are winning out and I don’t see how Polk loses to Roosevelt so probably more like 8-0 for valleys non district. Opponents W-L in district will cancel each other out. Indianola beat Johnston so they get in. I’ll post an update tomorrow!
Do they put more weight on the opponents opponents then they do strength of schedule? CF remaining 3 opponents were like 11-7 and Valley last 3 are 5-13.

I don't doubt what you are saying, it is just odd

Do they put more weight on the opponents opponents then they do strength of schedule? CF remaining 3 opponents were like 11-7 and Valley last 3 are 5-13.

No. Your win% is 3/8, opp win% is 3/8 and opp opp is 1/4.

The RPI figures already include the data for future/remaining opponents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT