ADVERTISEMENT

EIHC

Yes. Solon plays Mt. Vernon at Mt. Vernon @ 10:00 am. and then Solon turns around and plays Regina (I think at Solon) at 6:00 pm. This should be a tough day for Solon in playing the top schools in one day.

might have to make it back for the monday game. You sure on the time? Is there a JV game also?

the varsity game should be after the jv game but if theres a posibility of bad weather then it might be reversed

MV 2 Regina 0 Mount Vernon secures the conference with a tough win over regina they have clear creek and west liberty for conference games left and marion for non conference

Seth,

What's up with the Regina & West Liberty game? Did W. Liberty get their players back and/or Regina had a off game?

Also, suprirse to see Solon only winning 3 goals over Mid-Praire & won by just 3-1 two nights ago against CC Amana.

I wasn't at the game, but I am pretty sure that West Liberty has all of their players back from suspension. I don't think that the Solon vs. MP score was very surprising because MP has been playing everyone close as of late, the CCA score was a little surprising however.

the Solon Mid-Praire game should have been alot higher scoring game. Gardner missed multiple easy chances early on.

Mt. Vernon 1, West Liberty 0
Solon 1, Regina 0 (5-3 SO)
Marion 3, Williamsburg 2
IMS 5, Mid Prairie 0

I wasn't at the game, but I heard the MV-WL game should have ended in a 1-1 draw. WL had a pk blocked that hit off the keeper then the post, and WL put in the rebound. I guess the referee called it no goal for some reason. I may be wrong though, I wasn't there.

i think there is some rule about the guy taking the kick not being able to be the first one to touch it again off of a rebound. Not sure on that. Seems like I have run into it before though.

I happened to be at the game against MVL vs. W. Liberty. Hard fought game but I felt like I was watching a swimming meet with all of the 'diving' that the W. Liberty players were doing... almost comical.

As for the penalty kick, not sure what infraction the ref called but the player taking the kick can kick it again after touch by another player which includes the goalie (note if the ball hits the post and then bounces back to the kicker, then the kicker cannot kick the ball into the goal).

What was more upsetting was the behavior of the West Liberty players after the game in throwing water bottles at the refs and throwing rocks at the MVL players as they left the field. The state may want to reconsider giving West Liberty another substate game for awhile.

How is Xavier playing 1A soccer (probably been asked before so I apologize in advance) I see their enrollment is nearly 800 students...

Best of luck!
GO SPARTANS!!!
This post was edited on 5/23 3:13 PM by FBallFanif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Can anyone give us a rundown of the MV-Xavier game? When were MV's goals scored, when did Xavier score?

Ok. I will try to recap the Mt. Vernon & Xaiver game. First off, congrats to Xaiver on the win as they march down the path of winning their 4th straight state title. To do this, Xaiver is going to have to pick up their game a bit & not relex going into a match.

Right away, Mt. Vernon game on strong and applied pressure in the first 10 minutes of the game. Mt. Vernon scored first but Xaiver followed with a score of their own within 1 minute of the first goal. The game then went back and forth with each team having some good open shots. The half ended at 1-1 (the scored could have easily been 2-1 MV with two great opportunities prior to half by MV).

Second half was a different soccer game. Xaiver came charging out with increased pressue and within a 5-10 minute span, scored 3 goals. The game then settled down but the intensity did not. MV scored at the end of the game (with 5 minutes or so to go) to make it 4-2.

This was the first game that Xaiver was behind in a game and the most points allowed in a game. Xaiver has outstanding players on their team (Martin, Bauer, Noonan) and a good bunch of other club players. But this is a team sport and this game showed that Xaiver is beatable with goals and shots happening in all sorts of ways vs. just the long ball.

Next game for Xaiver is against Solon, tomorrow night at 6:30 pm at Regina. This will be a good test for Xaiver to see Solon can put up points against them. By playing on Regina's football field, this will allow Xaiver not to spreadout Solon's team as much and may be a plus for Solon. Good luck to both teams.

Xavier put up 3 goals in about the first 30 minutes. Solon got one of them back on a pk to make it 3-1. Just a couple minutes after that Xavier put another one on the board to make it 4-1 at half. The 2nd half was played even for about the first 20 minutes or so until Xavier had a nice shot from about 25 out to make it 5-1. Solon scored their final goal with under 10 minutes left, and Xavier also added another after that. Good luck to everyone at state!

it's not realistic though....cause they were playing in a pizza box...in a normal field xavier would have killed solon...

what is the point of your post?

either way, u will have to play xavier. whats so good about making state if u lose first round? u should have a goal to win the state tournament evey year and that goal should include knocking off xavier at some point. hell, beat them in substate and u should have an "easy" road to state. either way u'll have to play them.

For MV and other teams... just seems the luck of the draw in substate pairings. In the early years, MV consistently played and lost to Assumption in substate but the last time they met in substate, MV finally won.

For next year, the challenge will still be Xaiver (along with Regina & Solon). However, the Xaiver team will be a different team without the likes of their CRSA U18 starters (e.g. Martin, Bauer). In the early years, MV beat Xaiver in a match so the overall head to head record between the two teams is 1-1.

the luck of the draw for substate sucks sometimes... look at Pella, Waukee, Norwalk... who have all been worthy of state appearences for the last 10 years. but for the longest time, only one could go on to state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT