ADVERTISEMENT

Best Player in the State

husker_4 life

Freshman
Jan 28, 2007
I can only speak from seeing this kid play at the state cup for club soccer, But I believe Tony Maxi from SCHeelan is the best player in the state. Any other thoughts?

It would all depend on what kind of player you were looking for. Tony is a good defender obviously, but he lacks in taking people 1v1, and controlling the ball under alot of pressure, but defensively, i don't think there is any player who wouldn't have a hell of a time attempting to get by him. He is a great defender no doubt. Best player in state i would say all around is Nick Foster out of Valley, or Tucker out of CRSA U18. Both are amazing, and tucker will be playingw with creighton next season.

Maxi Can't handle the pressure? Are you serious, that is all you have to deal with when you play club, is high pressure from the forewards. He does an amazing job of it. I can't comment on the other guys, but creighton has been having a lot of internal problems. People just don't like Warming.

i play club, i know. But i'm talking offensively. i've seen him play back, and i've watched PLENTY of his games because i have many friends on that menace age group. Defensively he's phinominal. Maintains control, fast, and quick at decision making, but i have never really seen him take much into the offensive third of the field, and maybe i'm not watching close enough, but then again, if he's the backbone of the d-fense of that team, probably isn't any reason for him to move up as it is.

Is this kid on the regional or national ODP team? Is he a senior? If so, what college did he get a full ride to? Has his club team won state cup recently? Just a couple of questions to ask even though I know you can be a solid player on a team that has not won state cup but it does help.

Generally, when I think of the top players in HS now, I am thinking of kids off of the U18 CRSA team and maybe some off of Menace. But to be the best, I would think the person would have answered yes to at least 3 of the four questions above.

I do play on Tony's club team so I know what I'm talking about..

He does not play ODP, but he could be on the '89 team even though he is a junior. He was recently picked for the Super Y All-Star team which is a nation-wide all-star team and is going to Germany to play with them sometime. I'm sure he has plenty of colleges looking at him, but one I'm sure about is Gardner-Webb from North Carolina which is D1. I think they mentioned being the top 2008 recruit. Tony has played on the Menace 17s for 4 state cups. 3 champions and 1 runner up.

Tony is the real deal, and I would put him up 1v1 against even those CRSA 18 players. I do know a lot about them too.. I played on their ODP team for a little while, and have played a couple games against them.

I think Will Martin is the best defender in high school, but overall player I would go with Maxey. Notice i said "high school". If we're talking Iowa I would go with Tucker Sindlicker (sp) who is going to Creighton.

I could see Tony playing in the defending midfield for Warming's 3-5-2. Tis would let him play up a little bit more, serving some balls in, but also letting him slide back into his comfort zone.

Tony could be one of the best player's in high school, but i'm not sure you can say he would be on the 89 odp team since foster started in the back and i think nick foster is a much better player, also another player that's coming out of valley who's a junior and playing high school soccer is micheal thaden, which also played on the 89 odp team, is tony playin with waukee this year?

Well I know he could be on the team, but I didn't necessarily say he could start. I would agree that Foster is a little better than Maxey. Foster practiced with our Menace 17 team this past fall. In my opinion, Maxey would beat Thaden all day. Thaden might have the skill to play at that level, but Maxey is much more physical with his size and speed, along with great skill.

Is Foster playing for Valley this year? You'd think he would just play with CRSA to get ready for their last year of Regionals.. but one of his old WDM Apollo teamates told me he might be going out.

I think this forum needs to be more specific when asking who the best player in the state is? Club? High School? Big difference, because many of the best club players don't play high school, but there are some very good club players who do play high school.. ex. Mark Halma last year.

No, tony won't be playing for Waukee. He most likely will next year though.

husker, do you play at a club anywhere?
This post was edited on 2/7 2:09 PM by NrwlkGrassFerryif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Where are these guys going to school. Simple question, I just want to know, they sound like pretty tough players.

For the two college bound people i know, Nick Foster will be playing for Drake after this season. Tucker Sindlinger(spelling?), will be playing for Creighton. I know Mikael Nunen (spelling) out of CRSA will be attending a D1 college, along with Danny Bower. As of the rest of the CRSA U18 team, i am in the dark, but i'm guessing many of them will be attending college for soccer.

maxey is not the best player in the state. he is big, yes. but what he has in size he lacks in vision on the field and composure under pressure. tucker is the best forward in the state, michael thaden is probably the best midfielder as in his vision on the field is great and his foot skills are solid. nick foster would be the best defender beacause of his great speed. size does not matter much more in soccer and these players prove it with their ability to see the field and the amazing footwork and speed they have.

Everybody on here that has a very good understanding of state-wide soccer including club would realize that we are comparing a very talented group of players. Every player mentioned in this forum is a top player in the state.

I completely agree with what futbol said above about size not mattering much in soccer. It is probably the only contact team sport that requires a tremendous amount of skill, technical ability, and overall knowledge of the game instead of athletic ability in size and speed and vertical jump. A smartest player will beat the most athletic player all day.
One thing I don't agree with you is maxey's composure under pressure. He's very skilled and relaxed.. and ADDS size to his game. Sure, Foster and Martin would probably be picked over him.. but those are 2 very very good defenders. Everybody seems to agree that tucker is the best forward in the state; going to Creighton, being from Iowa, is a pretty big deal.

"michael thaden is probably the best midfielder as in his vision on the field is great and his foot skills are solid." -futbol

I do agree that he has very good vision and foot skills, but i do not agree that he is the best midfielder in the state. Definately top 5 though.

CRSA, Menace, and West Des Moines SC players definately dominate Iowa soccer in both high school and at the U18 and U17 and U16 club levels.

Another player that is easily one of the best if not the best mid in the state would be Lance Roozeboom even though he doesn't play high school he was on the 89 ODP team and is also on the regional team he is also on that crsa u18 team, 89 team and crsa u18 have a lot of top class players- odp had lance and thaden in midfield which are two graet player and also had foster noonan tucker bauer and martin that was a pretty stacked team. Is maxy playing high school this year?

lance rozeboom is one of if not the top player in iowa this year and will be hands down the best next year...he is unreal

I watched Council Bluffs Futbol Club play in the state cup. I'm not saying anybody on this team is the best in the state. But in the U17 bracket, in the first half they had WDMSC back on their heals, then someone got a red card in about the 50th min. and it all went down hill. CB will be an up and coming city for this game.

Where is Lance looking to play at? I'm assuming D1 somewhere? I like how CB has a club team now.. not the strongest team, but it's good for that part of the state.

Don't quote me on this, but the last thing I heard was Lance was thinking about New Mexico as a possibility. Thats pretty good.

charlie schartz from bett. 4 years starter for the bulldogs and goin to drake...hes gotta be one of the top contenders

Elliot Rausa-Waterloo Columbus. I believe he is going to Iowa to play football/ tennis. Best soccer player in 1a, I dont about 2a

I hadn't even heard of Council Bluffs getting a team. When did they form a club? or did they just create random teams in random age groups where they had support?

place kicker....i think he is also playing tennis, and is favored to win 1a, but who knows

look at his stats from last year. How isnt he the best in 1a? He also lead his team to 3rd place

I'm sure he's a good player.. I'm just saying he's not the best in 1A.. I'm not disrespecting him at all by saying that. Go to the state tournament this year.. there will be some better players there. Does Columbus really return 10 starters? I've heard a couple different numbers.. what do you know about that?

Yes, they do return 10. He might not be as good as the two going d1 but is up there with the best.

Best Player in the STate?

I'd vote for Troy Osborn, or perhaps Aaron Winkelmann of IC West High.
Lots of ODP and State Championship experience at West High

Iowa City West High has won like 3 of 4 state championships in 2A and all you talk about, here, is 1A......Are you all just talkin girls teams?

FrostyMitchell,

You are too funny. No, talking about best player in State which includes 2A. Yes, we can acknowledge that ICW has won 3 of 4 state titles but the likes of players of Martin and Bauer still stand true as being top State playes even though they play in 1A. Who would you like to mention as a top player from ICW? If you are more comfortable in talking about girl players, then that is fine as well.

I dont think many of you have heard of this player, but trust me..he is worthy to be mentioned in this thread. His name is Connor Wilson and he goes to Linn Mar. Linn Mar will be having a very down year this year and they are fully relying on the game play of Connor. Dont be suprised when he carries them to state. He was an average player last year, however over the summer he went to many camps and worked enitrely on his game. I watched an indoor game where he played in... i was amazed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT