ADVERTISEMENT

Agree/disgree with this tweet?

Disagree with the post! What's your point? Trying to start ridiculous threads as usual?
if you are going to post it say who tweeted it. And just for the record. No! What disrespect was shown? I believe Williamsburg was still playing full court defense correct ?
This post was edited on 3/12 8:56 PM by Saywhat2

This post was edited on 3/12 8:57 PM by Saywhat2

Good lord.....

The kid plays hard and keeps his mouth shut... If they did not like it they should have stopped him....

Originally posted by Saywhat2:
Disagree with the post! What's your point? Trying to start ridiculous threads as usual?
if you are going to post it say who tweeted it. And just for the record. No! What disrespect was shown? I believe Williamsburg was still playing full court defense correct ?

It was from twitter, relax.

Feel free to expand on this:
Trying to start ridiculous threads as usual?

Dribbling it out probably would have gained him more respect, but throwing down the dunk shouldn't lose him any respect. He's a high school kid & was obviously caught up in the moment. Great hard fought game and he realized his team just earned a trip to the title game. Split second deal. I'm sure the kid wasn't trying to showboat or be disrespectful. Again, it was a split second emotional deal. Give the kid a pass on this one.

Isn't that what a moderator does? Or should he bitch about refs, parochial schools and playing regular season games against teams that are a class bigger?

Edit to add that I don't think the dunk was unsportsmanlike.
This post was edited on 3/12 10:58 PM by Robert John

I thought it was a great ending to a great game....should he have done it...NO...Would most high school players do that if given the opportunity...YES! Right or wrong, it was one hell of a ball game. I hope the championship game matches this one!

Originally posted by jborules:
Your incessant traffic generation tactics are getting old.
This makes no sense, Luke is not supposed to generate traffic or conversation for the website he runs?

This post was edited on 3/12 11:19 PM by sarcastico

R u kidding that was cool !!! what would u rather have another stupid foul call from hack Iowa refs
Maybe that dunk woke up those old farts working the scores table ... ever noticed there is always 3 delays a game because of confusion at that table
most the time trying to wake one of them up
and time for a new PA guy that routine is old from father what's his name

I'd compare it to the Elijah Johnson (I think it was him) after the Kansas-Iowa State game a few years back in the Jiang No-Call Game (trust me, I try to forget it). He dunked it with time winding down on a breakaway turnover in overtime. Cyclone fans were livid (including me) leading to even a few death threats if I'm not mistaken for the same thing. He eventually apologized but looking back now, I don't fault the kid. Everybody gets caught up in the heat of the moment sometimes and this is no different. It just rubs to opposing team wrong in this situation because that's a hell of a loss to swallow. It's just a shame that a team had to be a loser in the game. I think it is ridiculous to say that Borchers was being disrespectful. Tough to judge when nobody can be in his shoes to feel that emotion at the moment.

This is the most important thing in the kid's life right now. If he gets excited and dunks, so be it. Borchers is an incredible player and put up a fantastic performance. What an exciting game. Williamsburg could have won a dozen different ways, but the LeMars players hung in and kept their poise and now are in the 3A championship where they will be a tough team to beat.

Disagree, it was an intense an emotional game, he was caught up in the moment and why not hammer it down?

Originally posted by LukeFeddersen:

Gladly. It's your post. You own it. Saying it's from Twitter is cowardly. It's not the first time you've used high school kids to generate controversy on your website. A few years ago you published an entire court proceeding about a kid from Lynville Sully that included detailed info about his parents divorce and custody issues. You pulled it! Wonder why. Try posting stuff like this on Facebook that deal with high school kids regarding what you think they did was disrespectful or not and you will find yourself in legal hot water. The bullying laws regarding posts about high school kids in iowa on social web sites is pretty broad. This site is known as a cesspool. Which is why most coaches tell their players to avoid it. Debating issues like public/private schools, games in general, rules, officiating etc is one thing. Calling out individual high school players is totally different.

What are you talking about man? If you have such a big problem with Luke, just quit using the site. Luke doesn't make a living JUST doing this, but still finds time to run a lot of good articles on a lot of information. The board is plenty busy right now, I don't think he needs to "make stuff up" to get traffic right now.

Even if there was no tweet, it was a legitimate question to ask.

I really don't see why anyone would have a problem with the dunk? How many of us can dunk...how many of us have had that opportunity? Would it have been worse if he had ran out to the 3-point line and swished a 3 at the buzzer??? Let the kids play and have some fun. I get upset over things likes ISIS videos...and Americans being mistreated. Not going to be outraged by a kid dunking with excitement...more power to him!! It's really just a game.

Gladly. It's your post. You own it. Saying it's from Twitter is cowardly. It's not the first time you've used high school kids to generate controversy on your website. A few years ago you published an entire court proceeding about a kid from Lynville Sully that included detailed info about his parents divorce and custody issues. You pulled it! Wonder why. Try posting stuff like this on Facebook that deal with high school kids regarding what you think they did was disrespectful or not and you will find yourself in legal hot water. The bullying laws regarding posts about high school kids in iowa on social web sites is pretty broad. This site is known as a cesspool. Which is why most coaches tell their players to avoid it. Debating issues like public/private schools, games in general, rules, officiating etc is one thing. Calling out individual high school players is totally different.
So Luke is posting about HS players on HS site... in general, most posters on here are...

was the dunk necessary - no, what happens if he sprains his ankle, tears his acl because of a "exclamation point" in a game that was won?

Wow....SayWhat2 has really become a hater.

As for the dunk, unless you were at the game to fully understand the atmosphere, I don't think you can really comment.

It was on twitter and I disagreed with it. Thought I'd post it here and see if I was in the minority. If I want to call someone out, I will.

I assume your bitterness has to do with the court proceeding you mentioned. This is the same garbage that other childish people do.. They blame me for everything posted on the site. I didn't publish a damn court proceeding. My focus on the site is to add paying subscribers. How exactly will a court issue help that? It won't.

I don't read every single post on the site. I've said that before and never will read everything. Adults can use communication and drop me an email if they have a problem. I prefer the ones like you who stew and then get bitter. Me personally being negative towards an an athlete or a coach is very, very, very, very rare. But again, people want to blame me personally for what is posted. It is what it is and I am used to it.

If this place is a cesspool, then leave. You have an agenda with me so leave the cesspool and stay bitter.

Would it have been "more respectful" to just run the clock out? Perhaps.

But as a LeMars fan who was in the stands freaking out watching this game, I can tell you that this dunk is something that I will never, ever forget. Borchers's dunk, and his performance in this game, is being talked about excessively on social media and all around town. It's incredible.

And isn't that, at least partly, what the state tournament and high school basketball is about? It brings together a community in a way that is so special and unique. They rally around these young men and, for a short time, they become hometown heroes.

It's just special. And it's wonderful.

Also, that dunk was just freaking cool! In the first round game, Borchers was held to 9 points -- his first time being held to single digit scoring in over two calendar years! Then, in the biggest game of his life, he gave the best performance of his life. He battled his butt off for 39 minutes and 58 seconds and he had just realized that his team was going to the state championship for the first time since 1946. He was amped up, probably feeling emotions most of us never have or will feel, and he got the ball with no one between him and the basket.

Of course he took the dunk.

Smart play... even if they do steal it it is way in the back court and when you got a guy that just abuses rims and he has an open path... watch out... it had nothing to do with the team they were playing.. that kid just played the game of his life in the semi finals to get to state for lemars for the first time in like 70ish years... the adrenalin he had going they are lucky he did not pull that rim off right there...

good luck lemars!! The kids on that team are some great people as well as their parents and they deserve all of this!!

Originally posted by mtdew_fever:
Ok...the dunk isn't that great. I don't see the big deal.
The hoopla isn't about the mechanics or the 'wow factor' of the dunk. It's about when it happened. LeMars was up by 5 with ~2 seconds left in the second overtime. That's when that dunk happened. People are saying he should have just grabbed the ball and ran the clock out. But instead he went up and threw it down. Borchers was attacked pretty harshly on Twitter last night after the game, mostly by Williamsburg fans and students. It wasn't good. But he handled it extremely well and had fun with it.

Social media and sports in today's age. That's a topic, for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT