ADVERTISEMENT

After the 3A first round, who do

Do not know who wins it all ( i will put my money on Wahlert) but I must say the mickey mouse way the Boys in Boone seed their brackets stinks. I mean really...we seed them by best record to worst regardless of who the schools play? Are they nuts? I am from the NW Iowa and even I know that a good share of the games that Wahlert and Xavier play are "up" a class. They should have been higher seeds than what they were given. But oh my that would have required the Boys in Boone using their brains....heaven forbid...that would have meant work...lets just do it based on teams overall record they say...no one will be the wiser. Wanna bet Boone? Get with the program and the 21st Century.

Reactions: CBCrusader1994
Do not know who wins it all ( i will put my money on Wahlert) but I must say the mickey mouse way the Boys in Boone seed their brackets stinks. I mean really...we seed them by best record to worst regardless of who the schools play? Are they nuts? I am from the NW Iowa and even I know that a good share of the games that Wahlert and Xavier play are "up" a class. They should have been higher seeds than what they were given. But oh my that would have required the Boys in Boone using their brains....heaven forbid...that would have meant work...lets just do it based on teams overall record they say...no one will be the wiser. Wanna bet Boone? Get with the program and the 21st Century.

If we're gonna get technical, Wahlert and Xavier should be playing in the 4A tournament, not the 3A tournament. If there was a multiplier for private schools (like there should be), the seeding wouldn't be a problem.

I think this has been a down year for Wahlert and Xavier compared to the last couple of years but they will both be favored on Thursday. Chariton and Pella will both put up a fight though, these are two extremely talented teams.

Pella and Wahlert looked the best out there today. I would be shocked if those two teams weren't in the finals and I think it would be a really great game. Right now I would have to give the edge to Pella as they have just so many quality players they can through out there.

Reactions: Bulldog198240
Semi Finals:
Xavier vs. Pella
Pella has revenge on their mind. Lost a close one last year due to sloppy play. This squad looks motivated and tough to beat. Even their bench is dominate. Pella by 7.

Wahlert vs. Chariton
Advantage Wahlert with State experience. Chariton won't be able to hang for the entire game, but will put up a good fight. Wahlert by 10.

3rd Place Game:
Xavier vs. Chariton
After seeing them keep Kreiner in check I don't see them having any issues with Hock. Xavier by 6.

Championship Game:
Wahlert vs. Pella
Basketball powerhouse the last three years vs. football powerhouse the last two years. Basketball Team vs. Athletic/Unselfish Team. I will take Pella dethroning Wahlert by 11.

I think it will be Xavier and Wahlert in the Final. I will say that I think Pella will give Xavier a better game than Spirit Lake did. I think Wahlert wins by 20+ against Chariton. I just don't see Chariton being good at all. I know they are a 1 loss team, but wow.

Great post LOL you nailed it ' But oh my that would have required the Boys in Boone using their brains....heaven forbid...that would have meant work...lets just do it based on teams overall record they say...no one will be the wiser.' funny stuff.

btw , Wahlert over Chariton by 20 30 if Maier is healthy
Pella over Xavier by 20

Wahlert over Pella in final

Would love to have seen a Pella vs MOC semi like it should have been. Leave it to the Boone boys to ruin the tourney per usual. If it isn't their pathetic refs , it's their seeding system or lack of.

Wait a minute Cruzer, Early posts had you stating that no one could touch Wahlert/Xavier. Flip-Flopping? What gives? I do agree that the top part of the bracket was mis-seeded, but how would you separate MOC and Chariton, SL on a ranking basis? I think you have a challenge with MOC, Chariton and your dreaded SL having great records, but the quality wins are missing. With hindsight would you rank Walhert, Pella, Xavier, Chariton, SL, MOC, Perry, Solon? Depending on how you place SL and MOC (without your bias) you almost end up with the same bracket issue with Xavier playing MOC instead of SL. Then you would have your beloved SL making it to the Semis.

Thought Xavier was better than that after watching that ugly SL game , both teams were bad. Pella is better than Xavier but Wahlert still prohibitive favorite. Losing that 6'9 center could hurt them though. SL would get drilled by MOC , that is why the state sent SL away from them.
MOC deserved another game but didn't get one due to pathetic seeding system.

Xavier vs. Pella
Pella has revenge on their mind. Lost a close one last year due to sloppy play. This squad looks motivated and tough to beat. Even their bench is dominate. Pella by 12

Wahlert vs. Chariton
Advantage Wahlert with State experience. Wahlert by 20.

3rd Place Game:
Xavier vs. Chariton
After seeing them keep Kreiner in check I don't see them having any issues with Hock. Xavier by 16.

Championship Game:
Wahlert vs. Pella
Basketball powerhouse the last three years vs. football powerhouse the last two years. Basketball Team vs. Athletic/Unselfish Team. I will take Pella dethroning Wahlert by 4.

So...you are a NW Iowa guy. Since other teams play in conferences with 3A or 4A schools MOC-FV be dropped to an 8 seed every time they enter the state tourney since they play mostly 1A and 2A schools?

Pella looks almost unbeatable because of their system, but Wahlert has played the best so far in their last two games, taking down two really, really talented teams, Waverly and MOC. No other 3A team has had such strong foes. That said, I think the champ may be the Pella- Xavier winner. I always think that whoever wins the Wahlert- Xavier game in the regular season is at a disadvantage if they meet in the tourney, and Wahlert won by 12. If Pella beats Xavier, I think Pella is the clear favorite. Wahlert will have to play small and substitute continuously, or the bigger Golden Eagle guys will be gassed at the end. I think Wahlert has the better players, but Pella has the better system to win the title.

So...you are a NW Iowa guy. Since other teams play in conferences with 3A or 4A schools MOC-FV be dropped to an 8 seed every time they enter the state tourney since they play mostly 1A and 2A schools?
Quite possibly that might end up being the case...I do not exactly think it would be correct but I get your point...2 Ideas....get say 3 to 5 guys to sit down for say 2 hours max and discuss the 8 teams and try to go by some sort of strength of schedule in setting the pairings, besides they are to some degree doing that when making round by round football playoff pairings the last 2 years so why not basketball also(not a big deal if the pairings come out at midnite vs. 10 PM).... OR .. Maybe they should go by rankings...case in point..this years girl's tournament...games were set up based on final regular season rankings. Guess what..In 1A, 2A, & 3A...all 3 championship games had #1 vs. #3. If you back it up to the semi's in those 3 classes...10 of the 12 teams were ranked 1,2,3 or 4. Amazing how going by rankings produced a pretty close to perfect final 4 in each those classes. Exceptions were #5 Okoboji in 2A and #7 Newell-Fonda in 1A. Yes you will have upsets year in and year out but over the long haul you will probably most of the time get the majority of the top 4 to the semi's. At that point it is a crap shoot and may the best team win.

Quite possibly that might end up being the case...I do not exactly think it would be correct but I get your point...2 Ideas....get say 3 to 5 guys to sit down for say 2 hours max and discuss the 8 teams and try to go by some sort of strength of schedule in setting the pairings, besides they are to some degree doing that when making round by round football playoff pairings the last 2 years so why not basketball also(not a big deal if the pairings come out at midnite vs. 10 PM).... OR .. Maybe they should go by rankings...case in point..this years girl's tournament...games were set up based on final regular season rankings. Guess what..In 1A, 2A, & 3A...all 3 championship games had #1 vs. #3. If you back it up to the semi's in those 3 classes...10 of the 12 teams were ranked 1,2,3 or 4. Amazing how going by rankings produced a pretty close to perfect final 4 in each those classes. Exceptions were #5 Okoboji in 2A and #7 Newell-Fonda in 1A. Yes you will have upsets year in and year out but over the long haul you will probably most of the time get the majority of the top 4 to the semi's. At that point it is a crap shoot and may the best team win.
Exept in 4A girls all 4 top seeds lost first round. Final was #7 vs #8. More than 1 upset in this better system.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
If we're gonna get technical, Wahlert and Xavier should be playing in the 4A tournament, not the 3A tournament. If there was a multiplier for private schools (like there should be), the seeding wouldn't be a problem.

I think this has been a down year for Wahlert and Xavier compared to the last couple of years but they will both be favored on Thursday. Chariton and Pella will both put up a fight though, these are two extremely talented teams.

'Technically' you are incorrect. They are playing in the class that the state has put them in. Similar to how the overwhelming majority of states in the country do it.

Let's remember, with any seeding process....someone is going to cry foul. If you throw a few dudes in a room to hash out to find the perfect bracket, in the end you will have someone bitching that it isn't fair.

Another consideration is that if an upset happens during the tournament.....which we will see every single year....then people will do a look back and think the seeding was flawed and the committee didn't do their job.

Let's remember, with any seeding process....someone is going to cry foul. If you throw a few dudes in a room to hash out to find the perfect bracket, in the end you will have someone bitching that it isn't fair.

Another consideration is that if an upset happens during the tournament.....which we will see every single year....then people will do a look back and think the seeding was flawed and the committee didn't do their job.

The seeding at state is whatever. If you want to get better teams at state overall, reseed at Substate. Yeah I know there will be a lot more travel, but there would be much less room to complain once teams get to Des Moines.

Good post Vintage. Then you will stop the free rides like undeserving SL received this year but then the Boone Boys would fixed them to play some garbage team in substate. They like their Hawk signees , those Boone Boys.

NW fans think they should just get high seeds because teams up there are sooooo good. Forget the fact that MOC played an all 1A-2A schedule. Chariton and Pella should get punished for playing their 3A-2A schedule, but MOC and other NW teams should get a free pass. #Logic

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Don't get me wrong, if you look at the previous champions in 1A, 2A and 3A, a fairly high number of them over the past 10 years do come from either Sioux County or a county that borders Sioux County....so I do think the quality of basketball up there is good.

No one has really made any suggestions that include a way to make the seeding process better. MOC had a good team this year and I think was seeded accurately, but if you include a bias that puts a discount for playing a 1A or 2A school......MOC should have been the #7 or #8 seed.

NW fans think they should just get high seeds because teams up there are sooooo good. Forget the fact that MOC played an all 1A-2A schedule. Chariton and Pella should get punished for playing their 3A-2A schedule, but MOC and other NW teams should get a free pass. #Logic

...seed all teams starting with districts...and then reseed the state tourney...it's not hard...the Boone boys are just lazy...But until the coaches raise a fit nothing will change...in fact this group on this board could do a better job!

Last edited:
Reactions: StatewidePundit
...seed all teams starting with districts...and then reseed the state tourney...it's not hard...the Boone boys are just lazy...But until the coaches raise a fit nothing will change...in fact this group on this board could do a better job!

Could not agree more Bulldog..the Boone boys are lazy..there probably ARE 4/5 guys on this board that could be a better job. Oh and mtdew...I did make 2 suggestions as to how to make seeding better. NeverRead...NW IA teams should not get a free pass despite your thinking that that is our opinion. There are years I think teams in our part of the state are better...there are some years that is not the case. Case in point..this year...Wahlert & Xavier got the short end of the stick in my opinion when it came to seeding.(I am NOT taking into consideration how the actual game(s) played out). State Rankings had Wahlert as #2 and MOC as #4. No way in heck should MOC have gotten #1 and Wahlert #8. The people who do the state wide rankings tend to have a few more smarts than our lazy Boone Boys. Oh yeah I will agree that Spirit Lake was more than a tad over ranked. HWC from 2A handled them quite easily twice this season.

FWIW, Chariton's schedule and Pella's schedule regarding 2A teams is not comparable. Chariton plays a lot of smaller schools whereas Pella only plays PC (in conference) and PCM.

LOL complain about the Boone lazy arses and that coach will be traveling 300 miles for a district game and get 3 of the worst Boone butt kissing refs to boot don't mess with THE BOARD OF CONTROL ! they have halftime awards to make up and give each other , they don't have time for anything else

Reactions: Bulldog198240
Maybe but Wahlert will have something to say about it. Lol
I don't think DW has as many:

As the voice in the movie Field of Dreams once put it, “If you build it, they will come.”

This applies to the Xavier boys’ basketball team for the upcoming season. Of the 14 players, five are transfer students. The team has been strong in recent years and with many players looking for future careers in the sport, a solid team will lead to better opportunities for college recruitment. Although some of the boys came primarily to play basketball, there also are those who moved into Cedar Rapids recently or wanted to go to Xavier because of the Catholic education.

“I attended Kennedy High School for my freshman and part of my sophomore year,” junior forward Max Techau said. “I transferred to Xavier because I thought it would be a better fit for me overall as well as for my future in basketball.”

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...have-big-impact-on-xavier-basketball-20151202

FWIW, Chariton's schedule and Pella's schedule regarding 2A teams is not comparable. Chariton plays a lot of smaller schools whereas Pella only plays PC (in conference) and PCM.

By looking at their schedule, Chariton played 6 smaller schools. Pella played 1. Chariton 1 4A opponent. Pella 2. Outside of those few games, the two teams play a lot of the same schools. Not in same conference, but they play teams from each other's conference.

As the voice in the movie Field of Dreams once put it, “If you build it, they will come.”

This applies to the Xavier boys’ basketball team for the upcoming season. Of the 14 players, five are transfer students. The team has been strong in recent years and with many players looking for future careers in the sport, a solid team will lead to better opportunities for college recruitment. Although some of the boys came primarily to play basketball, there also are those who moved into Cedar Rapids recently or wanted to go to Xavier because of the Catholic education.

“I attended Kennedy High School for my freshman and part of my sophomore year,” junior forward Max Techau said. “I transferred to Xavier because I thought it would be a better fit for me overall as well as for my future in basketball.”

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...have-big-impact-on-xavier-basketball-20151202

But don't you dare suggest a multiplier!

I am not a fan of the multiplier, but it makes more sense in BBall than Football. Last night Wahlert is playing Chariton. DW has a population of 100,000 to draw from, Chariton maybe 4000. It is easier by the numbers to get put together a great basketball team with a couple of "recruits" than it is to manage that on a football numbers level. Meier is a transfer for DW, and I find it odd that Josh Carter's brother plays for Senior. There is just too much flexibility. But it can also be done in Public schools. Last year BillyBurg's team benefitted from an open enrollment from ICWest. Solid bench player for ICWest and he makes first team all state in 3A. The open enrollment is a little tougher to pull off unless you have some close smaller schools for the trip to school, but can be done.

Wilson didn't end up going out, Dempewolf goes to Xavier because his dad got a job in the city so that was the school he wanted to go to and he doesn't play, Houtakker doesn't play, Techau has been a big contributor throughout the year, and Mims has been going to Xavier since his freshman year. There's a lot of kids who are in the feeder middle schools that go to a different high school their freshman year. Shaun Beyer went to Regis and then went Kennedy his freshman year and no one ever referred to him as a Xavier transfer. I don't think it's entirely accurate to say Xavier's success has been founded on transfers.

Reactions: will7499
If you rely on the rankings/polls, they are putting the newspaper guys in control.....which very few of them will see more teams outside of their part of the state and the odds of a bias for their local team is going to be likely. Again, someone will cry foul if you have guys just using their gut feeling to seed the teams.

The problem with trying to use strength of schedule is that there just isn't enough overlap of schools playing each other from one side of the state to the other.

Ex - The teams from NW Iowa primarily play teams from that region. Same as teams from the eastern side of the state. If no team from NW Iowa plays a team from Eastern Iowa....then how can you accurately compare them?

The other case is that for Class 1A and Class 2A, there have been a disproportion amount of state titles coming from NW Iowa over the past 30+ years and it's not just 1 or 2 schools getting those titles. Why can't they give the winner from the NW Iowa Substates a little more weight?

Could not agree more Bulldog..the Boone boys are lazy..there probably ARE 4/5 guys on this board that could be a better job. Oh and mtdew...I did make 2 suggestions as to how to make seeding better. NeverRead...NW IA teams should not get a free pass despite your thinking that that is our opinion. There are years I think teams in our part of the state are better...there are some years that is not the case. Case in point..this year...Wahlert & Xavier got the short end of the stick in my opinion when it came to seeding.(I am NOT taking into consideration how the actual game(s) played out). State Rankings had Wahlert as #2 and MOC as #4. No way in heck should MOC have gotten #1 and Wahlert #8. The people who do the state wide rankings tend to have a few more smarts than our lazy Boone Boys. Oh yeah I will agree that Spirit Lake was more than a tad over ranked. HWC from 2A handled them quite easily twice this season.

Wilson didn't end up going out, Dempewolf goes to Xavier because his dad got a job in the city so that was the school he wanted to go to and he doesn't play, Houtakker doesn't play, Techau has been a big contributor throughout the year, and Mims has been going to Xavier since his freshman year. There's a lot of kids who are in the feeder middle schools that go to a different high school their freshman year. Shaun Beyer went to Regis and then went Kennedy his freshman year and no one ever referred to him as a Xavier transfer. I don't think it's entirely accurate to say Xavier's success has been founded on transfers.

Take Mims and Techau off the team, they are .500. Did Beyer transfer specifically for sports as Mims and Techau did (Techau, along with Matt Mims, said they transferred primarily to play basketball, but also believe Xavier has much to offer off the court.)?

Take Mims and Techau off the team, they are .500. Did Beyer transfer specifically for sports as Mims and Techau did (Techau, along with Matt Mims, said they transferred primarily to play basketball, but also believe Xavier has much to offer off the court.)?
I believe that sports was a primary reason for Beyer but certainly not the only reason similar to why Mims and Techau went to Xavier.

Reactions: will7499
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT