ADVERTISEMENT

2A District/Substate Talk

Northeast 52
Camanche 30

Stifling defense for the Rebels. Only played 6 kids but the effort was top shelf. Game was over halfway through the 3rd.

You think the Regina win over Goose Lake was impressive, check out the score of the Regina vs Camanche game...

I think Camanche beats Goose Lake. Cascade vs Regina should be good. Cascade won easily in the first match up, but Regina is now playing their best ball of the season. And, seems like Cascade has come back to the pack a bit based on recent scores at least. Should be a good one.
Rebels from Northeast proved you wrong here. The effort they laid out tonight was one to see. Unreal performance on the defensive end and ....with Hoyer and Empen patrolling underneath, 2nd shots from Camanche were almost non-existent.

Last edited:
That Woodward-Granger win has to be the biggest upset so far in 2A. Although, I don't think Des Moines Christian was quite as good as their record indicates. Still a huge win for a W-G program that hasn't had many big wins in recent years. I will be rooting for them next round.

Rebels from Northeast proved you wrong here. The effort they laid out tonight was one to see. Unreal performance on the defensive end and ....with Hoyer and Empen patrolling underneath, 2nd shots from Camanche were almost non-existent.

Yes, they did. Holding Camanche to only 30 is impressive.

Yes, they did. Holding Camanche to only 30 is impressive.
I was surprised by this too. I have only seen Camanche play at last year's state tournament, so I'm no expert on the team, but they were extremely frustrating for me to watch. They were really athletic and fast, but they were so undisciplined. It looked like street ball or a bad AAU contest with extremely poor shot selection. Based upon that limited observation, I can see how they could lay an egg if their shots aren't falling on a particular night.

Last edited:
I was surprised by this too. I have only seen Camanche play at last year's state tournament, so I'm no expert on the team, but they were extremely frustrating for me to watch. They were really athletic and fast, but they were so undisciplined. It looked like street ball or a bad AAU contest with extremely poor shot selection. Based upon that limited observation, I can see how they could lay an egg if their shots are falling on a particular night.

Previously, they'd only been held under 58 points once all season long.

... Cascade vs Regina should be good. Cascade won easily in the first match up, but Regina is now playing their best ball of the season. And, seems like Cascade has come back to the pack a bit based on recent scores at least. Should be a good one.
From the score, it looks like a typical Cascade barn-burner. Low score, stifling defense, slow-down/patient on offense.

Substate Match-ups: (BCMoore rank)
  1. Western Christian (1)/Carroll Kuemper Catholic (7)
  2. Sheldon (3)/Alta-Aurelia (35)
  3. Aplington-Parkersburg (5)/Garner-Hayfield-Ventura (11)
  4. Cascade (10)/Dyersville, Beckman Catholic (21)
  5. Wapello (8)/Northeast, Goose Lake (14)
  6. Van Meter (6)/Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont (18)
  7. South Hamilton (12)/East Marshall (16)
  8. Treynor (4)/Woodward-Granger (42)
[corrected]

Last edited:
From the score, it looks like a typical Cascade barn-burner. Low score, stifling defense, slow-down/patient on offense.

Yep. It was a 2 point game with 1:20 to go. Cascade took care of the ball, hit their free throws and pulled it out. Disappointing finish, but a great season for the Regals. Cascade was ranked #1 in 2A just two weeks ago and Regina took them to the wire.
Good luck to the rest of the teams still playing!

Substate Match-ups: (BCMoore rank)
If the favorites win out, Western will be the #7 seed, Sheldon the #8 seed (top 2 BC Moore will be the bottom 2 at State)
Why do you say that Western will be 7th seed?

Just quickly eyeballed it, but they seed boy's state strictly on W-L record.
There could be 6 teams with one loss or less (Western has 2 losses)
Nope, changed how they do State seeding last year. Each coach of the State tournament teams sends in their seedings (can't vote for your own team) and the seedings for State are done off the coaches votes.

Nope, changed how they do State seeding last year. Each coach of the State tournament teams sends in their seedings (can't vote for your own team) and the seedings for State are done off the coaches votes.
I forgot that. Much better system.

My picks:

Reactions: basketball777
< Each coach of the State tournament teams sends in their seedings (can't vote for your own team) and the seedings for State are done off the coaches votes.>
Better than previous system.
Will be incredibly tough to do this year in 2A. Could easily see 6 of the 8 winning it all. Most will have really good records. Hard to put a 23-0 team too far down on your list, but same for some traditional powerhouses.

Would love to see the 8 lists (anonymously displayed).
Guessing a lot of disparity.

Reactions: Hawk2015
My picks:
I agree with most of your picks except I would pick GHV over AP and EM over SH. Would love to go to Western vs Kuemper game, I think that will be a great game tonight.

I'll take; Western, Sheldon, GHV, Cascade, Wapello, Van Meter, East Marshall, and Treynor. Should be some really good games with only Sheldon and Treynor likely to win big. The rest, I suspect, will all be close games.

My picks:
Agree with all the picks!

Lol!! Love the assessments on Camanche. Can’t argue too much either.
Yep. Hangover from last year, regarding the “undisciplined and bad AAU game” look at the state tournament. True at times this year.
Fast and athletic. Still true.
Unbelievable effort by Northeast ? to hold Camanche to 30. Happened. Shot 11-50. NE sat in a zone. Not lock down man, gloving kids on D, but the same zone they played when Camanche beat them by 24 few games earlier.Didnt press either. But you have to go back to the “undisciplined and bad AAU game” problem. Happened. But when shots fall, you get away with it. When they’re not, (like the other night) and you continue to chuck (undisciplined....etc.) you get the NE/Regina outcome. Scored 34 against the Regals. Played awful. Lol. Bombing threes is a double edged sword. INEXPERIENCED.

Now, that being said. That wasn’t the game plan in either of those games. And is being addressed. The “hangover/undisciplined “ part kicked in.

Camanche returned 2 kids from that state tourney team (great team.senior leaders) from last season. One being a sophomore.
They used 8 kids this year. SIX were playing varsity for the first time, ever. Starting lineup consistently had 2 sophs and a freshman.(a JV team) Not a lot of experience. One senior got big minutes. 16-7 record.

Looking ahead, at the landscape of that 2A district, can’t help but be excited. Seeing what the other “good” teams ( and if you are honest,there are few) have coming up, the Cascades, ( who Camanche had on the ropes twice this year) the Northeasts , will be hard pressed to continue at the level they’ve been. (have even been told that directly by people on the inside at NE) The two teams that should be licking their chops for trips to Des Moines the next few years are Regina and Camanche. Both have been successful while playing kids that are 1 or 2 years removed from middle school. And are good players. Can’t wait to see these teams when they roll those kids out with 3-4 years of starting varsity experience. NOT WORRIED. Every dog has its day.

Lol!! Love the assessments on Camanche. Can’t argue too much either.
Yep. Hangover from last year, regarding the “undisciplined and bad AAU game” look at the state tournament. True at times this year.
Fast and athletic. Still true.
Unbelievable effort by Northeast ? to hold Camanche to 30. Happened. Shot 11-50. NE sat in a zone. Not lock down man, gloving kids on D, but the same zone they played when Camanche beat them by 24 few games earlier.Didnt press either. But you have to go back to the “undisciplined and bad AAU game” problem. Happened. But when shots fall, you get away with it. When they’re not, (like the other night) and you continue to chuck (undisciplined....etc.) you get the NE/Regina outcome. Scored 34 against the Regals. Played awful. Lol. Bombing threes is a double edged sword. INEXPERIENCED.

Now, that being said. That wasn’t the game plan in either of those games. And is being addressed. The “hangover/undisciplined “ part kicked in.

Camanche returned 2 kids from that state tourney team (great team.senior leaders) from last season. One being a sophomore.
They used 8 kids this year. SIX were playing varsity for the first time, ever. Starting lineup consistently had 2 sophs and a freshman.(a JV team) Not a lot of experience. One senior got big minutes. 16-7 record.

Looking ahead, at the landscape of that 2A district, can’t help but be excited. Seeing what the other “good” teams ( and if you are honest,there are few) have coming up, the Cascades, ( who Camanche had on the ropes twice this year) the Northeasts , will be hard pressed to continue at the level they’ve been. (have even been told that directly by people on the inside at NE) The two teams that should be licking their chops for trips to Des Moines the next few years are Regina and Camanche. Both have been successful while playing kids that are 1 or 2 years removed from middle school. And are good players. Can’t wait to see these teams when they roll those kids out with 3-4 years of starting varsity experience. NOT WORRIED. Every dog has its day.

I'm not completely sure I would call that Northeast defense "Sitting in a Zone". The defense was extended to and beyond the 3 point line. A couple 3's taken well behind the arc were swatted by an active perimeter defender. With a couple enforcers inside, the perimeter guards knew they had help behind them. All.......by design. 2nd shots were almost non-existent. Watched the #4 kid get rebound after rebound in the 2nd half and he was playing way above the pack at another level. He also got a dunk and a teammate missed him for what would have been another easy one.

To beat that zone you need to go inside to keep them honest and then kick it back out. Throwing it around the perimeter alone doesn't create enough space. Wapello has some inside presence along with shooters. They put up a lot of points although the schedule toughness comes into question. That zone you refer to, will be tested a little more with the inside/outside game they will face tonight.

Baller. There was a little sarcasm there in my sitting in a zone comment. Lol! Camanche absolutely sucking and being undisciplined had more to do with that loss than, “an unbelievable effort and stifling D” by NE.
Know playing zone D is part of the game, but also know why teams that can’t match up, have to play it. If you have tough, athletic, intense players, won’t have to. Defense is desire, and the willingness.
Hate when Camanche plays it also.
I get NE has to protect Empen. Tendency to get in foul trouble. And they’re nowhere near the team without. So they SIT in a zone.
Smart move by Trav.
GOOD LUCK TO YOUR REBELS !!

Reactions: Pinehawk
Wow! S Hamilton cruises to an easy win over East Marshall.
Was it over early, or is score deceptive?

No upsets for the games that weren't postponed.
Hate that we have to wait until Tuesday to find out the lineup for State.

Western/Kuemper will be played somewhere else other than LeMars on Monday.
SC East? SBL?

I was at the South Hamilton/East Marshall game. Best HS atmosphere I have been to in a long time. I think I heard the Nevada gym holds 1800. It was packed to the gills with a lot of people also sitting/standing on the walkways behind the baskets.

A full spirited crowd makes for a fun game to watch. There was a huge line to get in at 6PM, at least a block long. Funny thing is, I was watching the doors to the gym around 645, and there was hardly anybody coming in then. Both teams were amped and ready to go. They got introductions done early, and the actual tip was about 6:55.

I've seen SH a couple times this year. They just don't look like a great BB team to me. And I mean that they don't pass the eye test. But once they get playing, they play stifling defense. They do a really nice job of disrupting offense flow of their opponent. EM scored 1 point in the 3rd quarter. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

SH gave Western the best game at state last year, so I wouldn't count them out this year for winning a game or two.

Here is the line at 6:05PM. The line continues inside the building all the way down the hallway to the left if you look past the flagpole.
DW1vG67X4AAxtrq.jpg:large

I was at the South Hamilton/East Marshall game. Best HS atmosphere I have been to in a long time. I think I heard the Nevada gym holds 1800. It was packed to the gills with a lot of people also sitting/standing on the walkways behind the baskets.

A full spirited crowd makes for a fun game to watch. There was a huge line to get in at 6PM, at least a block long. Funny thing is, I was watching the doors to the gym around 645, and there was hardly anybody coming in then. Both teams were amped and ready to go. They got introductions done early, and the actual tip was about 6:55.

I've seen SH a couple times this year. They just don't look like a great BB team to me. And I mean that they don't pass the eye test. But once they get playing, they play stifling defense. They do a really nice job of disrupting offense flow of their opponent. EM scored 1 point in the 3rd quarter. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

SH gave Western the best game at state last year, so I wouldn't count them out this year for winning a game or two.

Here is the line at 6:05PM. The line continues inside the building all the way down the hallway to the left if you look past the flagpole.
DW1vG67X4AAxtrq.jpg:large
Typical planning of the Boone boys. Make a long line of people go through one door in the middle of an Iowa February evening. These clowns are unbelievable. Probably charged a 'wait in line fee' too so to boost up those big salaries they are stealing.

Typical planning of the Boone boys. Make a long line of people go through one door in the middle of an Iowa February evening. These clowns are unbelievable. Probably charged a 'wait in line fee' too so to boost up those big salaries they are stealing.
Actually they did. And people paid it too. So much money made.

Actually they did. And people paid it too. So much money made.
We are talking about the Boone boys ,you mean money stolen. Or nickels and dimes stolen by these big shot wannabes.
Good to hear the line moved faster than the Boone Boys state pregame Farm Bureau slap ourselves on the back video and their endless halftime butt kissing administrator hall of fame joke. ' please keep us in operation, we will put you in our hall of fame'.

Reactions: Hawk2015
Looks like we will have a new champ as Western goes down to Kuemper. Western just ice cold shooting the ball. Went 9-24 from the free throw line, really hard to win games shooting that poorly. The 2A field is wide open this year and any of the teams down there could win it.

Looks like we will have a new champ as Western goes down to Kuemper. Western just ice cold shooting the ball. Went 9-24 from the free throw line, really hard to win games shooting that poorly. The 2A field is wide open this year and any of the teams down there could win it.

Will be interesting to see how this gets seeded! Arguably the two best teams (Sheldon and Kuemper) have the most losses. We'll see how much BCMoore comes into play. Should (could) be a great 2A tourney. Is it televised??

Cascade Western Dubuque 23-1
South Hamilton Jewell 24-0
Van Meter 23-1
Wapello 23-1
Sheldon 21-3
Aplington Parkersburg 23-1
Kuemper Catholic Carroll 15-8
Treynor 24-0

Thanks for the summary sarcastico. Was wondering how the game went. Going in, I thought this was going to be a heck of a game and wished I was closer to NW IA to check it out. Was it a close game throughout with Kuemper pulling away late?

Where was it held at? Bet it was a full house and a jacked crowd.

Kind of basing this on last year, looking at South Hamilton to take it this year.

Thanks for the summary sarcastico. Was wondering how the game went. Going in, I thought this was going to be a heck of a game and wished I was closer to NW IA to check it out. Was it a close game throughout with Kuemper pulling away late?

Where was it held at? Bet it was a full house and a jacked crowd.

Kind of basing this on last year, looking at South Hamilton to take it this year.
Game was at Sioux City East. Kuemper jumped out to an 8 point lead after 1. Western got it down to 4 at half. Then Kuemper went on a big run out of halftime to take a 14 point lead. Western got it back down to like 7 in the 4th but missed a lot of threes and free throws down the stretch. Kuemper made some free throws and that was it. Kuemper had 21 turnovers and Western just could not take advantage of it. It was a great defensive game by both teams.

Will be interesting to see how this gets seeded! Arguably the two best teams (Sheldon and Kuemper) have the most losses. We'll see how much BCMoore comes into play. Should (could) be a great 2A tourney. Is it televised??

Cascade Western Dubuque 23-1
South Hamilton Jewell 24-0
Van Meter 23-1
Wapello 23-1
Sheldon 21-3
Aplington Parkersburg 23-1
Kuemper Catholic Carroll 15-8
Treynor 24-0
here is live streaming schedule....
http://www.ihssn.com/live-streaming.html
tv coverage link...
http://www.ihssn.com/tv-coverage.html

Kuemper was the better team last night. Aside from Jacob Vis, who dominated in the paint, Western was ice-cold (3PT: 2-16 FT: 9-24) all night from the field and the line. Kuemper was red-hot(3PT: 10-15, FT: 19-27), especially PG who nailed 4-5 from 25+ ft. Badding is a smooth offensive player & will be good at the next level.
Western fell behind early & cold, tentative shooting is not the way to get back into it.

4th quarter went perfectly for Western on defense: 10 takeaways....but they failed to covert hardly any of them into points.
Lack of intensity has plagued us all year & is fatal against good teams.

Good luck to the qualifiers!

Last edited:
Reactions: iowalongs230
We are talking about the Boone boys ,you mean money stolen. Or nickels and dimes stolen by these big shot wannabes.
Good to hear the line moved faster than the Boone Boys state pregame Farm Bureau slap ourselves on the back video and their endless halftime butt kissing administrator hall of fame joke. ' please keep us in operation, we will put you in our hall of fame'.
They have all your credit card and bank account information too.

Expect to be broke when you wake up in the morning, the damn thieves they are.......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT