ADVERTISEMENT

2A District/Substate Talk

I agree, wide open. Every time I think I have my favorite, I remember another team. I have seen Cascade, Regina, Kuemper, and AP play this year and have all looked the part. Treynor has some big wins over 3A competition and will be a real threat. Excited to see how this plays out. I think this is the first time in a while all four classes have been pretty open. No clear cut favorite in any class.

I think the favorites are Western and the winner of the Sheldon/Sioux center game. Western is undefeated against Iowa teams and Sioux center and Sheldon also play tough schedules in the Siouxland

I think the favorites are Western and the winner of the Sheldon/Sioux center game. Western is undefeated against Iowa teams and Sioux center and Sheldon also play tough schedules in the Siouxland

This the favorite is one of those three. Sioux Center, Sheldon, Western.

Right now I would lean Western or Sioux Center.

The State made a mistake in putting Cascade and Regina in the same District, while giving NE Goose Lake and Camanche their own District.

From the above article:
"They’ve got to get there first, which is something Galpin and Brindle are keenly aware. Regina and Cascade happen to be in the same district.

The teams won their respective divisions in the River Valley Conference.

“I was really surprised with that pairing, to be honest with you,” Brindle said. “I really thought we’d go north and Regina might stay south.”

“Our coaching staff was talking before the districts came out about which way we might go,” Galpin said. “We kind of thought we might go south. We were surprised to go north and very surprised to see Cascade with us. But it is what it is.”

Pinehawk, relax. Cascade is good, but very beatable. We had them on the ropes twice, with one game ending with a horrible call with .06 tenths of a second left in O.T. to send their kid to the line to win the game by a free throw. Second game was one possession game with :30 seconds to go.
And look what you guys did to us!! (Camanche) Lol.
Rooting for Even, Mas, Ash and Big Nick ! Would love to see both of our teams make it to the Well, and meet up again.
Get er done !

Reactions: Pinehawk
Pinehawk, relax. Cascade is good, but very beatable. We had them on the ropes twice, with one game ending with a horrible call with .06 tenths of a second left in O.T. to send their kid to the line to win the game by a free throw. Second game was one possession game with :30 seconds to go.
And look what you guys did to us!! (Camanche) Lol.
Rooting for Even, Mas, Ash and Big Nick ! Would love to see both of our teams make it to the Well, and meet up again.
Get er done !

Thanks, me too. Good luck, rooting for you guys.

I have to think that South Hamilton is the team that people are forgetting about. At the State Tourney, they played Western Christian close and even lead at half time.

They key for South Hamilton is their PG in Balderas. Not big, but very steady.

I think you are crazy not to believe that West Lyon can't beat Western Christian. West Lyon plays in a tougher conference and were a couple of positions from beating SC and Sheldon (2x). They were beat by GLR (2x - and I could see them down at state), split with RV, and their bad loss was to a MOC team. I don't think anybody wants to be playing West Lyon right now. They played Western tough last year and I see them upsetting Western at their place. I know its bold but West Lyon can get it done. Western Christian should be nervous with that talent coming to their gymnasium Thursday night.
Hmm I wonder where you are from...

I do not think West Lyon will go down without a fight, but I do not give them a real chance to win this game. Sure, West Lyon has the athletes to take Western on in that regard, but they do not have the basketball players that Western does. I think West Lyon can try to beat Western up on defense, but they will not be able to make enough shots on offense to put up a fight. West Lyon only has one shooter (Van Wyhe) in my opinion that can consistently space the floor. It might be close for a half, but Western will win comfortably. I'll take Western by 14.
I think you are crazy not to believe that West Lyon can't beat Western Christian. West Lyon plays in a tougher conference and were a couple of positions from beating SC and Sheldon (2x). They were beat by GLR (2x - and I could see them down at state), split with RV, and their bad loss was to a MOC team. I don't think anybody wants to be playing West Lyon right now. They played Western tough last year and I see them upsetting Western at their place. I know its bold but West Lyon can get it done. Western Christian should be nervous with that talent coming to their gymnasium Thursday night.

Agree.
No one at Western is looking past West Lyon. Last year is a fresh memory & WL had us on the ropes.

Not really thinking about State yet. West Lyon, Rock Valley/Unity winner, and Carroll Keumper could all send us home.
Give me an undefeated team at the Well over a NW IA team any day.

Western has not lost to a 2A school since 3/10/15 (Pella Christian shot 80% from the arc & #8 knocked off #1)
They haven't lost a regular season game to a 2A school since 1/31/12.
But that means nothing on Thursday night.

Agree.
No one at Western is looking past West Lyon. Last year is a fresh memory & WL had us on the ropes.

Not really thinking about State yet. West Lyon, Rock Valley/Unity winner, and Carroll Keumper could all send us home.
Give me an undefeated team at the Well over a NW IA team any day.

Western has not lost to a 2A school since 3/10/15 (Pella Christian shot 80% from the arc & #8 knocked off #1)
They haven't lost a regular season game to a 2A school since 1/31/12.
But that means nothing on Thursday night.
I'm not saying you're due, but..........it should be strongly considered.

Regina knew they were due. Just sayin. :)

Great double-header tonight at Western.
Rock Valley vs Unity: rematch (Unity won by 9 @ home)
West Lyon vs Western: Western is beatable, but WL has issues on O.

Western's huge gym is great for these kind of events where fans stay for both games.

Is it allowed for post-season play?
KSOU 93.9 FM, will broadcast both games and have done video livestream all year.

Maybe just available on Chicago cable?:rolleyes:
I'm not sure if it is...I live in SD now and pretty much every game including post-season is streamed

Is it allowed for post-season play?
KSOU 93.9 FM, will broadcast both games and have done video livestream all year.

Maybe just available on Chicago cable?:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure state playoff games are not allowed to be streamed, so only radio.

West Lyon has the athletes, but this will not be like last year's game. There's one key player that made that a game and its Heyer. He's gone and West Lyon hasn't been able to score like they did last year without him in the lineup. The lakes as a whole was a little weaker than the Siouxland, but the Siouxland isn't near the level it has been the last 3-5 years. Western's overall schedule was tougher than anybody else in the region and I'll put that up against any team in the state. I don't think anybody wants to be playing Western right now after a week off and coming off a loss to the number 1 team in SD. I'm thinking 15 points or more for a Western margin of victory tonight.

Reactions: basketballnut21
Meyer's foul trouble hurt WL tonight but their 3 point shooting kept it a game. Kinda played out how I thought it would. WL had Western scouted well and knew what was coming a lot of the time, just didn't have the horses to stop it.

Western vs Rock Valley should be a very interesting matchup. RVs quick guards could make things tough for Granstra and Harmsen.

Big FT difference- Western shot 20 to WL’s 6
Eating crow
I thought West Lyon made a good showing.
Game never got out of reach & hot run of 3's in the 2nd half really made it interesting.

They did of nice job packing it in in the 1st qtr & Jacob Vis never touched the ball.
But once he started getting it, they had no answer. Vis has such good touch around the basket. Perfect from the field?
Western had the flu bug hit them this week & and it was obvious, but good D and making enough FT's carried them.

Rock Valley shot much better than I expected and handled Unity. Tough to win with no inside game and few offensive rebounds.

BC Moore has Sioux Center just under a 3 point favorite against Sheldon and Western is an 11 point favorite against RV. Will this be an accurate prediction? Both teams have underperformed those predictions the last 4 games. I think Sioux Center should be able to take Sheldon in this rubber match. Sioux Center was missing one of their posts in both matchups which won't be the case this time. I've gotta go with Western over RV by 10 or more. Vis will be too much for Taylor down low and Western has been more consistent and discipline than RV all season. I don't see this changing on Tuesday night. Should be a fun night of basketball in Northwest Iowa!

Reactions: iowalongs230
FWIW, this game has been moved from LeMars to Unity.
This will probably be a sell-out

I don't think Western agrees to host if they are playing somewhere elese on the same night (no one wants to work and miss the game).

Last edited:
FWIW, this game has been moved from LeMars to Unity.
It was moved to Unity because Le Mars girls basketball won their regional semifinal game on Saturday and, as the highest remaining seed in their region, will be hosting the regional final on Tuesday for a chance to go to state.

Can the Unity gym hold the crowd that will probably show up for this game?
I don't think it will if the weather is good.

Small spillover section on the upper deck behind the basket & a stage on the other end.
Not great seats, so get there early.

Brings up the question of why this game was originally scheduled for LeMars? In checking the girls brackets, it looks like the LeMars girls were the top seed in the bracket and it could/should have been anticipated that this conflict would come up. How about a double header at the MOC gym Tuesday night?

Brings up the question of why this game was originally scheduled for LeMars? In checking the girls brackets, it looks like the LeMars girls were the top seed in the bracket and it could/should have been anticipated that this conflict would come up. How about a double header at the MOC gym Tuesday night?
I think if you were to run a double-header of those 4 teams, you'd be better off at Tyson in Sioux City. You might be able to get everyone in there. Those are some pretty intense rivalries with a lot on the line. Anyone know if there is a reason they don't play Sioux Center/Sheldon at Western? Other than Western in playing that night?

I think if you were to run a double-header of those 4 teams, you'd be better off at Tyson in Sioux City. You might be able to get everyone in there. Those are some pretty intense rivalries with a lot on the line. Anyone know if there is a reason they don't play Sioux Center/Sheldon at Western? Other than Western in playing that night?
Seems like they always schedule 2A district finals in 3A gyms . (LeMars, MOC, Spencer).
My guess is Western would decline if asked, for lack of volunteers to work and miss our game.

We'd be happy to host the double header at Western though!

Seems like they always schedule 2A district finals in 3A gyms . (LeMars, MOC, Spencer).
My guess is Western would decline if asked, for lack of volunteers to work and miss our game.

We'd be happy to host the double header at Western though!

On a different note, how did the Van Marle kid come out? Heard he rolled his ankle against Cherokee last Thursday. Sheldon will need him full strength or it could be long night inside for Orabs.

A few more match-ups around the state that look good:
  • Camanche/NE, Goose Lake (looks like Camanche spanked them recently. do they still play the crazy run & shoot?)
  • Cascade/Regina (won easy, but it was early and Regina has a nice win streak going including a W over Goose Lake, who beat Cascade)
  • E Marshall/W Marshall (1st 2 meetings were narrow wins)

Anyone with insight/prediction?

Last edited:
A few more match-ups around the state that look good:
  • Camanche/NE, Goose Lake (looks like Camanche spanked them recently. do they still play the crazy run & shoot?)
  • Cascade/Regina (won easy, but it was early and Regina has a nice win streak going including a W over Goose Lake, who beat Cascade)
  • E Marshall/W Marshall (1st 2 meetings were narrow wins)

Anyone with insight/prediction?

You think the Regina win over Goose Lake was impressive, check out the score of the Regina vs Camanche game...

I think Camanche beats Goose Lake. Cascade vs Regina should be good. Cascade won easily in the first match up, but Regina is now playing their best ball of the season. And, seems like Cascade has come back to the pack a bit based on recent scores at least. Should be a good one.

Reactions: VanderHoops
On a different note, how did the Van Marle kid come out? Heard he rolled his ankle against Cherokee last Thursday. Sheldon will need him full strength or it could be long night inside for Orabs.
SC's post is still not at 100% either (shoulder).
Both teams are senior-dominated and have plenty of other weapons

Sheldon 59, Sioux Center 55
Alta/Aurelia 74, Pocahontas Area 73

Substate: Sheldon vs. Alta/Aurelia (at Spirit Lake)

Reactions: rradke-17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT