ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Soccer

DCAHawk

Freshman
Oct 12, 2019
Seems like the usual suspects will be back at it. WB returns leading scorer and best back, WL will have to reload quite a bit, Regina returns 85 percent of its scoring but loses best defender, WC takes a grad hit but should still be solid, DMS Christian should be really good.

Tilly, how will GRGC be? I see your leading scorer returns.

FWIW, 7 of the top 10 1A goal leaders return next year.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Mepo will be good again next year. Just have to see if they can take the next step and break into the next level of teams. If everyone plays again they’ll just have to see if they can finish shots. They lose 3 (one senior starter, one foreign exchange student starter and one senior sub) off this years team.

Can only speak for GCGR. Lose a few big pieces to graduation. Definitely have some underclassman that will fill those roles nicely. Along with adding a couple of 1st team all-state football athletes that didnt play last year, won't hurt either.

My Knights have come out to hot start this year. I really think Unity has a great chance to come out of the west and make the state tournament this year. The main competition in 1A up here is WC. They won the tournament last year, but from what I’ve seen I’m not too impressed with their 2024 seasons so far. On top of that my knights already look better than last year and handily beat the only other significant 1a team in our likely district in West Sioux.

My Knights have come out to hot start this year. I really think Unity has a great chance to come out of the west and make the state tournament this year. The main competition in 1A up here is WC. They won the tournament last year, but from what I’ve seen I’m not too impressed with their 2024 seasons so far. On top of that my knights already look better than last year and handily beat the only other significant 1a team in our likely district in West Sioux.
We do play WC tonight, but this is the best I’ve felt about this matchup in awhile. My prediction is 3-1 UC maybe 3-2 if we go up early and lose focus later in the game again.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Saw Western Christian lost already this year, but wasn't sure how good the team was that beat them.
West Liberty looks to be down a bit this year. Tipton with an early season win over Beckman surprised me.

Western lost to South Sioux City (Nebraska School) (also not sure how out of state games works for seeding or power index) They are undefeated and ranked high in Nebraska, but I watched the game and WC overall looks lacking in midfield and offensively compared to last year.

We have a good sophomore striker this year and of course Stephen can find an assist out of anywhere. Should be a good game tonight.

Good to hear about the other side of the state as well. I am personally not a huge West Liberty fan, so that’s not terrible to hear.

Well my score prediction was right just the wrong team.

WC won 3-1. A few lucky shots went in for them and a few of ours unluckily did not. Think it was a lot closer than what the score says. I’m still optimistic about this season. We’ll see them again

GR 10-0 over Waterloo Columbus. Rebels looking a bit different than last years runner up team. Look to be working the ball around more. Big test coming up with Denver this week. Rebels are looking pretty solid already tho

Last two games GCGR has had two starters sitting for injury. Grundy Center had track meets taking away 4/5 more starters. Not sure theyve played a match at full strength yet.

Reactions: DCAHawk
With all teams, the post season is when they need full strength. Improve u til playoffs hahaha. Looks like north fayette is a contender this year. Also west Central Valley and Danville.

Last edited:
The first rankings came out yesterday. 1A appears to be down quite a bit this season.
A few teams that have been solid in recent years are off to a poor start. Burlington Notre Dame (0-5), Waterloo Columbus (0-5), Underwood (4-4).
Appears that West Branch once again has a soft schedule until the final week of the season.
Regina's 0-1 loss to Burlington is starting to look better and better with Burlington beating Pleasant Valley 7-2, Assumption 3-1, and Linn-Mar 4-1.
Tipton is off to a nice start at 4-1.

The first rankings came out yesterday. 1A appears to be down quite a bit this season.
A few teams that have been solid in recent years are off to a poor start. Burlington Notre Dame (0-5), Waterloo Columbus (0-5), Underwood (4-4).
Appears that West Branch once again has a soft schedule until the final week of the season.
Regina's 0-1 loss to Burlington is starting to look better and better with Burlington beating Pleasant Valley 7-2, Assumption 3-1, and Linn-Mar 4-1.
Tipton is off to a nice start at 4-1.
How does Tiptons schedule compare to West Branch?

How does Tiptons schedule compare to West Branch?
Tipton has scrimmaged Solon, Mt. Vernon and CR Kennedy, played 2A Central Dewitt, and played and beat Dyersville Beckman this season. Opponents record on the season - 33-37.

WB has played and beaten Solon, but has no other team scheduled above class 1A this season. They don't play their three main conference challengers until a 6 day span in the final week of the regular season.
Opponents record on the season - 31-39.

Both teams beat Maquoketa by one goal this season.

Last edited:
Mepo has a big match coming up vs Hillcrest on 4/30. Also, hoping they can get a rematch with Danville in the conference tournament to avenge 1 of their 2 losses with the other coming in double OT @ Burlington.

GCGR up against it again tonight vs AP. Looks like they will be missing most of their starters again due to a track meet. Dual sporting has got to drive coaches crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT