ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Soccer Season

Saw that and lost all respect for the Prairie coach, although he does suit a very limited number of players for varsity. He's evidently well respected among his peers. Hope there is a little fall out over this though.
Douche move, kind of like someone bringing up someone else's politics on here. ;)

Prairie is good. As my prediction stated earlier, I think this is the year they finally don't crap the bed at substate.

Side note, my son is just back from a hamstring injury he suffered in Jeff's jamboree match vs CPU. They also had a crucial red card suspension from their best player that set them back vs Linn-Mar. They likely tie that game or are at 2-1 at least (not 3-0) had those guys been in the lineup. Their biggest problem might be goalkeeper. He's technically very sound, he's got wingspan, but he's not an elite athlete.

Coach Larew has rarely had the luxury of being stacked with talent. If you look back at the record book, our of all those state championships only one has the tournament leading goal scorer. His teams don't live and die on the back of a star. Sure it helps to have talent, it's just not the defining factor. The thing he has done consistently, that's a lesson for players and coaches alike, is getting the most out of what he has. He has shifted formations, developed athletes from other sports and worked to develop players, helping them understand their roles, what they need to so individually and as a team in situations. The second this that he brings consistently is a desire to have the most athletically fit team in the state. That's something that transcends talent. If a fit team can do just enough to stay in a match to then end, fitness can make the difference in the outcome.

I won't make any bold predictions about success or failure of future teams. I'm not worried about this team, or future teams.

Reactions: Pinehawk
So, Post-Season is right around the corner - Last year, substate assignments were released on 5/6. The state manual says assignments will be made this week ("the week of May 2") So, assuming they're working on it right now, they'd be working based on the rankings from Sunday night (through last Friday) and then brackets next week based on rankings through this Friday.

First games start the following week.

Among other things, that the current top ranked 1A team has played one of the weakest schedules in the entire state. And, that Assumption just beat BND 5-0, yet are ranked behind them.

You definitely have an argument there. Looking forward to GR's matchup with Vinton Shellsburg this weekend. Always tough to tell how teams stack up against others around the state. If it wasn't for two really late goals from North Fayette (one a questionable call in the box setting up a PK) GR should be undefeated. End the season with Columbus and Hudson. Those will be good test going into tourney play.

Reactions: rc1963
Among other things, that the current top ranked 1A team has played one of the weakest schedules in the entire state. And, that Assumption just beat BND 5-0, yet are ranked behind them.
FWIW, BND was without two starters Saturday, including their best player. I wouldn't put too much stock in those game results. I do think Assumption looks pretty good though. Playoffs could be a wild ride.

Assuming the game is not canceled tonight, we'll find out if MP is legit.

I have no problem with the concept of an unbiased computer ranking, but I think this one needs to be tweaked. Strength of schedule and head-to-heads need to carry greater weight.

Regina defeats 1A top ranked Mid-Prairie tonight 4-1. The Regals dominated possession and scoring chances despite field conditions that included standing water after a full day of rain. The Regina keeper didn’t touch the ball for the first time until there were just 15 minutes left in the 1st half.

I think substate 3 is much harder. 4 of the top 19 teams in that bracket with legit SOS.

In substate 6 there are only two real threats... WL and GR. Williamsburg and MP are not top level teams at all.

In any event the boys and boone definitely did not make the pools equitable.

Last edited:
Substate 6 is weak. There are 3 teams in Substate 3 that would likely win Substate 6.
Substate 4 will be easy for Assumption. There is not another team in that bracket that will challenge them.

Reactions: JMSBFD and rc1963
I think substate 3 is much harder. 4 of the top 19 teams in that bracket with legit SOS.

In substate 6 there are only two real threats... WL and GR. Williamsburg and MP are not top level teams at all.

In any event the boys and boone definitely did not make the pools equitable.
If you accept the rankings, I think they did about the best they could, given the rules. I think there's still some room to improve the ranking system (if they will.)

Regarding group 6, WL and MP have to face each other (that would be one I'd love to go watch) I think WL wins by at least 2 goals. That would drop MP to the bottom of the top 20 (maybe even out of the top 20) and Move WL back into the top 10. GCGR is a little bit of an unknown quantity, One quality win and a really sketchy opp record. I'll stick my neck out and say WL goes to state. I'm not ready to call group 3 yet.

Way too early State Bracket prediction:

First Round

Western Christian
Regina

Assumption
Postville

Treynor
WestLiberty

Nevada
ND

Semi Final
Assumption
Regina

ND
Treynor

Final
Assumption v ND

Assumption - Champion

If you accept the rankings, I think they did about the best they could, given the rules. I think there's still some room to improve the ranking system (if they will.)

Regarding group 6, WL and MP have to face each other (that would be one I'd love to go watch) I think WL wins by at least 2 goals. That would drop MP to the bottom of the top 20 (maybe even out of the top 20) and Move WL back into the top 10. GCGR is a little bit of an unknown quantity, One quality win and a really sketchy opp record. I'll stick my neck out and say WL goes to state. I'm not ready to call group 3 yet.
I don't agree that they did a good job. It's 1A and you have teams essentially from Dubuque, Waterloo and Iowa city playing each other??? Dumb. They want different teams at state. I get it but they just continue to make bad decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinehawk
Way too early State Bracket prediction:

First Round

Western Christian
Regina

Assumption
Postville

Treynor
WestLiberty

Nevada
ND

Semi Final
Assumption
Regina

ND
Treynor

Final
Assumption v ND

Assumption - Champion
RC, curious if you have any updates to your predictions. Based on recent scores looks like about half of the brackets are toss-ups. New thread for round by round predictions?

My bold prediction is that Prairie has a worse regular season, but actually qualifies for state, beating an improved Jefferson in the substate final this time (if their excellent wingbacks stay healthy). My boy played with a bunch of the Prairie guys this winter in indoor high school invitational camps. They were raw but had that cleverness on offense that previous Prairie teams lacked.
Well, I nailed the Prairie side of the prediction. First time back to state after a two season hiatus, and despite their lowest end-of-season ranking in three years. Alas, Jeff had a disappointing season, crushed by Johnston after soundly beating Marshalltown at substate. I think Johnston drops the 3A final to one of the other central powers though. My son ended with the game-winning assist with his cross against CR Wash (second year in a row he was involved in the 1-0 OT winner), and two assists at substate. Senior year up next.

Reactions: rc1963
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT