ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21 Coaching Openings

Wapsie Valley and Belmond Klemme were posted today. I kind of wonder if Wapsie has a person in mind for the next head coach. B-K is also a job that has intrigue to me, they usually have a few decent athletes.

Any idea where Coach Bakker is coming from that Waukee will be introducing next Tuesday as their new head coach?

So then Waukee HS and Waukee Northwest are both filled.
Waukee HS: Gabe Bakker
Waukee NW: Corey Kopatich

Was his dad the head coach at Ottumwa when they were quite good in the 90s and early 2000s?

Silverhair how did kids decide whether they went to Regis or LaSalle back in the day, was it based upon church or location, or just a choice?

Since they were private/parochial schools, parents could choose whichever they wanted, but I‘m not sure if the tuition varied depending on which parish you belonged to. LaSalle was the west-side school (tied to the parishes on the west side of the Cedar River) and Regis was the east-side school, and there used to be a fairly strong preference of east-siders and west-siders sticking to their own side of the river. I mean, that still exists, but it was stronger in the past.

Our kids were still in elementary when Xavier opened and Regis and LaSalle became middle schools.

But they essentially had no connection to one another other than being part of the same diocese?

I'm not sure I can answer that. I think yes, they were basically completely separate schools before Xavier was built, but since my kids were younger I don't have direct experience. From what I remember hearing in the community, though, they were stand-alone high schools with no connection ... there was a significant eastside/westside rivalry back in the day, and the image of the schools kind of played into that (LaSalle was considered more working-class and Regis had more of an upscale image, from what I've been told, which also fit into the stereotypes of the east and west sides of Cedar Rapids in general).

As you might imagine, there was quite a bit of drama over the creation of Xavier as a single high school, with a lot of families fearful that the histories and individual images of Regis and LaSalle were going to be swallowed up and erased by Xavier ... a lot of graduation parties the first couple of senior classes of Xavier still prominently featured the colors of Regis or LaSalle, depending on where that student had come from.

LeMars has hired a guy from South Dakota, who has 30+ years of coaching experience. Not sure how much of a long term a hire like that is when you hire someone who has been in education/coaching for that long. But regardless, that has been filled. I have heard that Marion was turned down by a few candidates, but I am not sure how reliable that was, but seeing it reposted again adds some validity to that rumor.

Marion is still a decent job, but with the change in classifications they are now one of the smaller schools in 4A and will probably be for the foreseeable future if the structure stays the same.

Case turned down the Carroll job. Hearing it is kinda a mess down there - did not think that one would be open this long.

Any word on hires?
Clarion-Goldfield?
Wapsie Valley?
Belmond-Klemme?

Word on the street is that Cresco-Crestwood coach resigned. Didn't see the job posted, but I checked the IAHSAA website in staff directory and there is no football coach listed so must be true.

Last edited:
Clarion just reposted, I've heard that Wapsie will be holding interviews soon, I know nothing about B-K. I have heard the same thing about Crestwood, although they have ran off some good coaches recently so they may struggle to find someone.

Reactions: IGo42
Crazy how long it has taken for some positions to be filled. Wasn't the Carroll job posted pretty quickly after the season concluded??

The shelf-life for head coaches is pretty short for most, and a HS head coach in Iowa doesn't pay much. Lots of armchair QB's that think they could do better but it's hard to find a quality coach and hang onto them these days. Be thankful if your school district has a good football staff that sticks around!

Last edited:
The shelf-life for head coaches is pretty short for most, and a HS head coach in Iowa doesn't pay much. Lots of armchair QB's that think they could do better but it's hard to find a quality coach and hang onto them these days. Be thankful if your school district has a good football staff that sticks around!

So many factors come into play with that as well, a lot of the times coaches don't stick around due to not having strong administration that support football.

The person who mentioned the arm chair people and not have administration. Some coaches go to lower level because pressure of winning be comes to much at high levels Some leave for better paying jobs like the one's in texas and down their they prefer you have a coaching license but it's not necessary to have one. I remember in minnesota I referee a high school that had the same coaches for two years he got a h#ll of a job down in texas he got triple the offer he got up their and it was only a one years contract.

FYI here if you are planning on becoming a coach learn CPR you will need that

What does this even mean? Did Coach Hedrington apply and not get the job? He seems like a good guy, but never stays in any place very long.

Carroll has hired longtime assistant coach Craig Rowedder as their new HFC.

Atlantic: No idea

CCA: No Idea

Wapsie Valley: Hired an assistant coach who was on staff, his name escapes me

CGD: No Idea

Reactions: 3buzzmable
Wapsie hired Coach Foster’s son Duane

BCLUW is open, I believe that is open for the 2nd year in a row.

No Coach Denner has been at Crestwood I believe for his entire career, but he is a Waverly native.

Reactions: IGo42
No Coach Denner has been at Crestwood I believe for his entire career, but he is a Waverly native.

Gotcha, I just heard he was from Waverly originally, not sure how long he's been teaching/coaching at Crestwood.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT