ADVERTISEMENT

2014 ?

Feb 21, 2012
Anyone have any thoughts on next year already? Who will be contenders? Anyone capable of repeating? Lot of good teams coming back.

Newell-Fonda in 1A returns 4 of 5 starters that lost by 2 in championship this year.

Dowling has some good kids coming back also

Herzburg senior year at Manson with a bunch of young kids should be tough.

Harlan was a young team this year and look what they did. Should be strong the next couple years.

Picks for next year (no particular order--just teams to watch)

Class 5A: Centennial, DM East, IC High, Dowling, CR Wash
Class 4A: Xavier, Harlan, North Scott, Perry, Heelan, DCG
Class 3A: Assumption, MOC-FV (easily best 2 teams next year)
Class 2A: TONS of quality teams...same teams from this year. L-B, WC, Hudson, North Butler, IKMM just to name a few.
Class 1A: N-F, BND, Ar-We-VA? (Don't know much about this class).

Another factor will be which teams switch classes...when do BEDS numbers come out for next year?

Biggest x-factor...will Assumption move up to 4A?? Could have an all-catholic semifinals if so--Wahlert, Heelan, DA and Xavier!
That'll really get the Private vs. Public threads going!!

I think that is great how Jeff Linder already gets things rolling for next year. It would be nice if a certain paper from Des Moines would put more time into high school athletics all together.

Linder does a great job covering high school athletics. I read his stuff on a regular basis and I'm from the Des Moines area.

I'll take Western in 2a again...they will again go 10-12 players deep and will run, run and run some more. Might be a little smaller this year but athletically, will be too deep for most other 2a schools.

Don't count out LB. Yes they will start 4 freshmen from this years team next year, but those "Freshmen" pulled to within 4points in the championship game against WC starters. Don't be surprised if they are back in Des Moines next February.

Not sure if ikm and lb will play each other but I'd like to se

e it.Would not care if it was in Ida again And I do have daughter on ikmm team.

Which one is she?

I dont think its gonna happen i'm sorry to say. I heard we picked up SC West, Hinton, Heelan Gehlen, Dakota Valley & Trinity Christian.

Wolfpack do you know anything about Trinity Christian's ball club?

Maybe what we should do is to invite WC, Manson, and IKM to play in a Holiday tournament in Lawton starting in December of 2014. We would be happy to host it. We could make it a one night or a two night event between Christmas and New Year's. What do you think hawkfan?

Wolfpack, Woobster, what are your thoughts?

JUST got the shivers lets get it started.We get it 2015 if we can refs.Yer daughter the freshman center? Mine number30.

I know that would be awesome. Our Head Coach is all for it. Yes my daughter is #24/25. Congrats on her all-state recognition. Does your daughter play softball? Mine was our starting pitcher last year.

Thanks .No she does not. AAU basketball and first year golfer.I would guess our coach would be for it as well.How would a Christmas tournament work.Isn't there limited amount of games they can play in a year?

Ok. Thats what we were thinking during Christmas break. I know we don't have any openings for next season but she said we could make a few if the other 3 teams were willing to do so. I think its very important to play teams like us a couple times a year. It always reminds us of what we will have to face come tournament time. I know if we cant close the deal with a team we would have one opening next season and her thought was to contact IKM and see if it would work, but she is waiting to see if that doesnt work.

HOLIDAY PARTICIPATION
Section 5. No member school of the Iowa Girls' High School Athletic Union from Christmas eve through January 1, inclusive.

PM knicks is back on board! Congratulations for your distinguished coaching award. Well deserved!

PMKnicks is a legend-there is no doubt about that! Not the last time he will receive an award for his outstanding career- that is for sure.

I like the holiday tourney idea- one thing we need at MNW is some tough games during the season- we get Newell Fonda right before christmas but that is it- although South Central Calhoun played us tough the 2nd time around last year....but yes, we need some tough games.

Tougher schedule would have helped us this year.LB by far our toughest,keumper some what and at-we-va but otherwise the conference was very weak.Don't know if it will be much better next year.(treynor,tri center and.).What
conference LB going t

o?who will be there?

No new additions just all the teams that didnt leave the WVC. It's the old Maple Valley Conf. W. Central will be much tougher as well as K-P. OABCIG had a down year but should be back competing at a high level next year and MVAO had a young team. Our coach did a nice job of getting us a nice non-conference schedule it will be very tough maybe the toughest in 2A.

BEDS numbers are out. The link is on the ighsau website. First thing I noticed...Mason City and Fort Dodge drop to 4A in girls sports! Also--Assumption will also be 4A (barely). This gives class 4A the following powerful schools: Xavier, Heelan, Wahlert, Assumption, Mason City, Harlan, North Scott...wow.

As far as I can tell...these schools will be the biggest in each class (their 10-12 enrollment)
5A- Valley, WDM (2036)
4A- Fort Dodge (833)
3A- Humboldt (353)
2A- Unity Christian (206)
1A-Lisbon (130)

Somebody feel free to correct me if I made a mistake.

I haven't looked at the numbers, but BEDS are determined by the 9-11 classes, so your numbers may be off. It could really change schools like Mason City and Fort Dodge coming down or Assumption moving up.

Yes they are determined by grades 9-11, but believe the new numbers were computed that way. Case in point, Assumption has more kids in their 9th grade class than in their 12th grade class - hence, the increase in beds count for the 2013-2014 season and movement up to 4A.

Originally posted by o2bahawk:
Yes they are determined by grades 9-11, but believe the new numbers were computed that way. Case in point, Assumption has more kids in their 9th grade class than in their 12th grade class - hence, the increase in beds count for the 2013-2014 season and movement up to 4A.
Must have been a real good recruiting year.
wink.r191677.gif

It doesn't matter if they have more 9th graders than 12th graders. There 12th graders weren't counted in this years BEDS numbers, so losing them won't make a difference. This years 9th graders were already counted, so they won't add to the BEDS numbers.

You need to look at this years 11th graders (as they move up to seniors, they won't count) and this years 8th graders (as they move up to 9th, they will count.) Do they have more 8th graders than 11th graders? That is what would make them move up.

Coach'd - I was going to put the same comment at the end of my post but then I thought I'd let someone else chime in - Lol.

Rose, if I am not mistaken this year's 12th graders were counted last year for 2012-2013 (they were 11th graders last year) - they were counted for 2012-2013 and they aren't counted in 2013-2014 so their numbers DO matter if their class is smaller than the next class coming in (in the case of 2013-2014 it's this year's 9th graders).

I see what you're saying o2bahawk...but I'm thinking something different.

For the 2013-14 school year:

Me: Count this year's 8th-10th graders (next year's 9-11)
You: Count this year's 9th-11th graders (next years 10-12)

Can anyone clear this up? Which method is actually used? I know they say they count 9-11, but is it this year's 9-11 or next year's 9-11?

Coach'd - I was going to put the same comment at the end of my post but then I thought I'd let someone else chime in - Lol.

Sometimes I just cant help myself, at least we were thinking of the humorous aspect of the situation. But you know that there are some who probably would think we were serious. Then again, during this time of the year having a discussion with people whining about recruiting sometimes is the only action going on with this board.

To determine BEDS numbers-- they use enrollment from the official count day in Oct of 2012. The current 9-10-11 graders are added up and this is a school's official BEDS number for the 2013-14 athletic season.

I guess the rationale is that you are using 10th-12th graders (for the most part) at the varsity level...so they total the 9th-11th graders from the previous year to determine this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT