ADVERTISEMENT

2 A Girls Preseason Rankings

Oct 14, 2012
Here is my take on 2A Girls Basketball and my preseason rankings. What predictions/rankings or thoughts does everyone else have? Should be an interesting season.

1. Western Christian Defending Champs and loaded.

2. Panorama 22-2 Return everyone. Knocked out two years in a row by IKM-Manning. Those two teams must be in separate Regions this year!

3. Ikm-Manning 24-3 Were in state semifinal last year. Lost 3 starters but will have new starters that will be very capable of making this team very tough and dangerous.

4. Bellvue 25-1 All back but 1 starter I believe. Only loss was to IKM-Manning

5. Maquoketa
Valley 23-1

6. Aplington Parkersburg
All players back 18-5 last season.

7. Mediapolis
22-2 They have quite a bit back.

8. Missouri Valley 22-2

9. Fort Dodge St. Eds 20-2

10. West
Hancock 25-1 Think they lost 4 starters.

Not rated DM Christian (lost 2 key players), Kuemper lost 4 of top 5 scorers, Pella Christian Lost all starters. Lawton Bronson--lost some talent. OABCIG and Esterville LC are 3 A this year.

This post was edited on 10/27 4:50 PM by VikeFan28

Looks pretty fair to me from what I know about the teams- not sure about St. Ed's in the top 10- I know they are loaded with talent in their underclassmen- but they did lose a lot from last year. It is tough for Panorama and IKM Manning- what do you do with them? Then throw in Kuemper- cannot separate all of them.....I know Kuemper had the same thing happen to them 4 years in a row- had great teams but ran into other great teams that you couldn't separate them from due to geography....but we'll see- maybe they can avoid each other- and probably will if they both stay in the top 5 all year.

2A is tough- as always.

1. Western Christian

2. Panorama (tough last year, everyone back, looked good this summer)

3. Aplington Parkersburg (senior laden, looked good this summer)

4. Des Moines Christian (3 returning starters, and I hear maybe a transfer, and they looked really strong at a camp at this summer)

5. St. Edmonds

6. Bellvue 25-1

7. Maquoketa Valley 23-1

8. Mediapolis

9. Missouri Valley 22-2

10. IKM Manning (big losses but still talented)

Not ranked: Saw West Hancock get drilled this summer by a couple of teams, CK will be better than expected. Pella Christian lost a lot and from what we saw this summer, looked a bit down)

Kuemper this year will be down a bit...they lost a lot of talent. If the state has any common sense they will separate Panorama and IKM-Manning.

I am not sure I would put a ton of stock in what you saw this summer- if a team has all their players then maybe it is a good indicator, however, many times a team is missing kids- especially kids who play on aau teams- they many times miss summer camps with their high school team.
I think it will be a very interesting season- and we will see come pairings if IKM and Panorma get their wish and get separated.

West Hancock lost 7 of the 9 girls that played much at all, or something like that. And one of the two returning girls tore her ACL this summer. Be a big surprise if they're a top ten team. North Butler might be another one to keep an eye on. With the move to five classes, they move up to 2A.

AP will be tough and they will have a difficult schedule. Playing 5A East and West Waterloo ( West is loaded and ranked) North Butler (ranked), Union of La Porte (3A ranked), South Tama (3A ranked), Cresco Crestwood, West Fork, East MArshall (State Tourney last season), Grundy Center (ranked), AGWSR just to name a few. A lot of ranked teams, however, these girls are experienced, have depth, and play tremendous defense, and they are lead by college prospect Haleigh Hempen who is very good as well as other girls who have started three years coming into the season. There ability to put pressure on you defensively will take them along ways. This Schipper girl might be the best on ball defender I have seen in a long time in girls basketball. Physical with tremendous speed. Ap puts full court pressure on you the entire game. Playing this difficult schedule will make them tournament tested. Barring injuries, this will be a team thats going to make some noise. They too deserve a decent post season bracket to showcase their talents through out the tournament. A fun team to watch as they play together very well.

There is no doubt something to be said for playing up in your competition....so that probably will help AP. I guess we shall see- a long season, you just never know what is going to happen. Always seems to be a surprise along the way.

Which colleges are looking at Hempen? Are you talking D1 level? Sounds like AP will be a team to watch for sure.

Maybe we should all wait until the season at least starts before we say teams "deserve" a good bracket or that Panorama and IKMM should be separated. Not sure how the state could have separated IKMM and Panorama the last few years. Personally I thought putting them together last year was a good pairing with as many strong teams as there were in Western Iowa.

I thought the IGHSAU did as good o job as they have ever done with 2A pairings last year. All classes actually.

I talked with the AP coach last night at the football game. Hempen is being recruited by a couple division II schools in Minn. Upper Iowa, Mourningside, Northwestern in Orange City, SHe has a current offer from Kirkwood, Coe, Cornell, Luthur, have recruited her very hard, Wartburg, Central, Iowa Lakes, Iowa Central, as well as others are recruiting her also. She received some attention from UNI as well. SHe is a solid player who is very coachable and smart. She is a great shooter and is being recruited to play a three in college according to her coach. She has a very calm demeanor on the floor which is very unique.

Originally posted by Mr.Walleye:

AP will be tough and they will have a difficult schedule. Playing 5A East and West Waterloo ( West is loaded and ranked) North Butler (ranked), Union of La Porte (3A ranked), South Tama (3A ranked), Cresco Crestwood, West Fork, East MArshall (State Tourney last season), Grundy Center (ranked), AGWSR just to name a few. A lot of ranked teams, however, these girls are experienced, have depth, and play tremendous defense, and they are lead by college prospect Haleigh Hempen who is very good as well as other girls who have started three years coming into the season. There ability to put pressure on you defensively will take them along ways. This Schipper girl might be the best on ball defender I have seen in a long time in girls basketball. Physical with tremendous speed. Ap puts full court pressure on you the entire game. Playing this difficult schedule will make them tournament tested. Barring injuries, this will be a team thats going to make some noise. They too deserve a decent post season bracket to showcase their talents through out the tournament. A fun team to watch as they play together very well.
Pretty sure East Marshall got beat first round of regionals and wasn't a state tourney team last season. Not sure how good they will be this year either after losing their best player too.

Mr Walleye, while having a calm demeanor on the floor is nice to see I would not agree it is a unique trait.

Sames, PMKnicks- I am sure Ms. Hempen is a good player-but I witnessed many good players in my 20 years of coaching who had a calm demeanor- any good player has to have that.....probably saw it best from Kelsey Bolte from BCIG- that kid never got rattled it seemed- I think she had a very calming effect on her team in tight games- oh wait, they never had any tight games!! Just kidding PMKnicks

Originally posted by Mr.Walleye:

I talked with the AP coach last night at the football game. Hempen is being recruited by a couple division II schools in Minn. Upper Iowa, Mourningside, Northwestern in Orange City, SHe has a current offer from Kirkwood, Coe, Cornell, Luthur, have recruited her very hard, Wartburg, Central, Iowa Lakes, Iowa Central, as well as others are recruiting her also. She received some attention from UNI as well. SHe is a solid player who is very coachable and smart. She is a great shooter and is being recruited to play a three in college according to her coach. She has a very calm demeanor on the floor which is very unique.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that there is about 0% chance she ends up at Luther. In the end money talks though so who knows.

Given that list- Northwestern in Orange City would have to attractive to a kid- they are always good, they play an exciting brand of basketball and Orange City is a great place to go to school...I am sure the others are good, too- but there have been a lot of outstanding high school players go there- kids I thought might go bigger- who have done really well there.

Originally posted by WadeWubben:
Given that list- Northwestern in Orange City would have to attractive to a kid- they are always good, they play an exciting brand of basketball and Orange City is a great place to go to school...I am sure the others are good, too- but there have been a lot of outstanding high school players go there- kids I thought might go bigger- who have done really well there.
Deb Remerdee(sp) went there after her redshirt year at Iowa didn't she? She could fill the nets up that's for sure. Remember seeing her on a national morning show I believe when she was breaking a national free throw record I believe it was.

That is probably the biggest name to go there but I remember a girl we used to play against in high school that was an offensive machine, (Maranda Bookhout from MMC) who went there and became a passing machine- and I always thought she was a really nice player. They also have done a good job of grabbing the local kids like Rachel Binneboose and others.

AP looks good every summer for a variety of reasons with the same girls since they were freshman and have had 1 winning season (last year as juniors). The buzz was this class would go to four state tournments. They have had essentially the same team for four years now so they should be good. I have not watched them during the season but have seen them during the summer. The Hempen girls best attribute seems to be the fact she has to put up with her dad as the coach. If anything can screw it up this year for them it's him. He seems to be a real gem.

I was hoping someone would say something about AP, unless someone moved in they play the same kids theyve had the past three years so I dont see how they vastly improve to be a state team this season. Havent seen the heights but Im guessing they arent that tall of a team and thats a pretty big part of this sport still.

I guess will have to wait and see cancerstick, But I guarantee you that they will compete hard and will battle the entire season because that is expected by their coach. They may get beat from time to time, but there will be no team that will outwork them. There schedule is difficult and this will prepare them for the tourney. It always takes some talent and a little luck to get to the start tournament and there a re a lot of good teams. But these girls will work extremely hard because they have that kind of character.

Bellevue lost PG Emily Anderson to graduation, as well as key reserves Molly Knake and Sarah Hammond. Also lost, SG Ali Reeg to ACL injury, but she will possibly be back this season. They still have the tough Ernst girl at F, and she is capable of putting the team on her back. They will be weak at the guard position, though, until Reeg returns.

I think W Marshall will be ok. Not sure if they are or will be top 10 worthy but they have good size and really good length. They lost their leading scorer from last year but have some talent returning and a few have improved a lot. They play well together.

If they can get a consistent go-to person they'll be pretty difficult to beat.

They lost to OA-BCIG in the first round of the state tournament last year. OA-BCIG beat them 48-41 but had to outscore them 15-3 in the 4th to do it and keep their 52 game winning streak alive.

Pairings will, as always, make the difference on whether or not they make it back to state but they should have a very solid record and will be tough on any team that doesn't have a couple good guards and will be solid in the paint.

This post was edited on 11/13 2:49 PM by terrehawk

Under second year coach Trish Martin Lawton-Bronson should have a decent team. They lost Leah Miller and Carli Wordekemper but return 3 starters and a fantastic 6th girl from a year ago. LB's success will greatly depend on 4 freshmen (1 starter and 3 off the bench). Woobster, you would be familiar with these freshmen since we had some great 8th grade games last year. The end of December will really let us know if LB is for real or not when they travel to IKM to play the wolves. Looking forward to a great season. Go Eagles!!!

Husker Dogg- I have been telling anyone who will listen to watch out for LB- if not this year- certainly in the next 4 because I understand that as good as your freshman are this year- the grade behind them might be better. IKM will certainly be a a good barometer for your team as they will be very solid again. Having said that, with all they have back, IKM has to replace one of the states best player in Schekinger. I also saw Okoboji's 8th grade last year- very, very good- watch out for them over the next few years. I may be partial, but I don't think people better sleep on Manson Northwest Webster. I think we have one of the top players in all of Class 2A in Ellie Herzberg and we have some very nice kids to go with her. We have a few upperclassmen and I think we have some younger players that will contribute a great deal- will be fun to watch our team grow this season.

Woobster, this will be the last year for the WV conference so although this will be the last time we play IKM in the regular season hopefully we will get more opportunities to play them in the future. Yes they will be very tough this year. I watched them last year in the conference final and their center who was only a sophomore she is a great presence in the middle and they had a freshmen who came off the bench to really give them a lift. They should be a top ten team this year. Yes the class below us has a great team I am very excited to see them play this year and I cant wait to see our two classes blend in the years to come. Since we have no sophomores out for bball we will get the opportunity to blend that much quicker. I hope LB and MNW can meet up in the post season for years to come as well. Hopefully in the following years we could set up some home and home games during the regular season since we will have some openings in our schedule. Good luck to the cougars! And to everyone else should be a great year.

I believe you play OABCIG before you play IKMM. Will be a good game to watch. Nice rivalry over the years. And Blake from IKMM is a senior I believe.

My fault yes we do play OABCIG first should be a great game. I wonder how they will fare losing two all-staters and a Phenomenal Head Coach? I believe that is a Saturday night Game in Ida Grove.

Thank God Blake is a Senior. It will be a very tough task for a couple of Freshmen to defend her.

This post was edited on 11/16 3:10 PM by Husker Dogg

This post was edited on 11/16 3:11 PM by Husker Dogg

Husker Dogg I think OABCIG will still be a very solid team. They have the Tuet girl who was out most of last year with a knee issue. She has improved her game over the years. They also have the Schmidt girl who hasn't been used due to talent on the past teams. She can hit the three and has some size as well. Not sure if they have anything coming in with younger kids. They moved up to 3 A this year so it will be interesting come tourney time. For the WVC conference I believe it will be IKM-Manning, Lawton-Bronson, and OABCIG battling during the conference tourney. ARWEVA is rated high, but not sure how they will replace their big girl from last year. They also have a new coach, due to the passing of their coach this fall. Not sure who the new coach is.

VikeFan, thats good to know, also they are always going to be good they have a lot of tradition and that will make the girls play very hard we should see some great games. Yeah thats just abad bad deal about arweva's coach they have my deepest condolences. I think your right about the three teams battling it out for the conference title. Who do you see being the sleeper team in the conference? My guess would be MVAO. Also the LB Girls played pretty well the other night in the LB Jamboree. They defeated Bishop Heelan by three. The team looks faster than last year and they played some great in your face defense. Coach Martin has the girls playing well, HOPEFULLY we can do this for 4 quarters.

I talked to a coach the other day whose team scrimmaged Ar-We-Va- he said the assistant coach has taken over the head job and he was very impressed with them....so it appears Ar-We-Va will be a team to contend with this season.
OABCIG will have some residue from past success for the new coach to work with- no doubt about that. It has ben a long time, though, since they have come into a season without a player considered to be one of the better ones in the state....be interesting to see who steps up for them.

Tough gig for OABCIG's new coach- never easy to follow a legend.

Thats good news the more competition the better. LB's first game is tomorrow night vs. West Monona. Hopefully the girls will continue their great effort. When is your guys (vikefan & woobster) first game and who do you play?

We go up to Estherville tomorrow (tuesday). They will have a very good starting 5 but I cannot imagine they have much on the bench....will be interested to see if they are still in that aggressive man to man defense they are known for. Next week we get Cherokee and Southeast Webster Grand....looking for a solid season from the Lady Cougars. Can't wait to watch the Herzberg girl- kids got a ton of game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT