ADVERTISEMENT

Semifinals

Charles86

Freshman
Aug 6, 2018
Saturday, November 10

Class 1A
10:00— Pella Christian (8-3) vs. Dike-New Hartford (11-0)

1:00— West Sioux, Hawarden (10-1) vs. Van Meter (11-0)

Thoughts on these games? Takeaway from quarterfinal games?

Not sure about the West Sioux-Van Meter game. West Sioux sounds very talented. VM plays hard-nosed football and is well coached. Toss up here. Going to say West Sioux offense scores enough points to win this one. I think DNH wins fairly easily over PC. PC is good, but just don't think PC has the horses this year.

West Sioux is a very good team that has it rolling right now. I believe they will beat Van Meter by 14 points or more. West Sioux has played some really good football teams and made them look bad. Their lone loss was to a BH-RV team that is playing Waukon in the dome in 2A.

Dekkers Koopmans and Lynot will be too much for the Bulldogs

West Sioux - 38
Van Meter - 21

West Sioux vs DNH in the finals

Not sure about the West Sioux-Van Meter game. West Sioux sounds very talented. VM plays hard-nosed football and is well coached. Toss up here. Going to say West Sioux offense scores enough points to win this one. I think DNH wins fairly easily over PC. PC is good, but just don't think PC has the horses this year.

Bet.

West Sioux is a very good team that has it rolling right now. I believe they will beat Van Meter by 14 points or more. West Sioux has played some really good football teams and made them look bad. Their lone loss was to a BH-RV team that is playing Waukon in the dome in 2A.

Dekkers Koopmans and Lynot will be too much for the Bulldogs

West Sioux - 38
Van Meter - 21

West Sioux vs DNH in the finals

I'm not disagreeing with the quality of West Sioux as they are very, very, very good, however let the facts speak for themselves this year as this was probably not as strong a year for NW Iowa football as some years past.

Other than BH-RV (as noted a semifinalist in 2A so VERY good team), West Lyon was 7-2 (and everyone I think could agree this year's WL team is far below what they were a year ago), and CL-GLR (5-4)...everyone else on West Sioux's schedule had a losing record with three teams only have 3 wins and 2 teams only having 1 win.

Now all their wins in the regular season were very lopsided which means they were probably beating teams the way they should, and that I think speaks more to their consistently high level of play, than saying they "played some really good football teams".

I agree West Sioux goes down fairly easily to Van Meter in Semifinals. This is not class A football. Struggles against SSC proved who they actually are.

On paper it looks like 1 blowout and 1 close game. You just never know on any 1 playoff game. Boise State made a living off of winning the big bowl game against teams they should lose to. If they would have been in the same conference they would have probably lost 2 or 3 games at least. Anything can happen in any game.

I'm not disagreeing with the quality of West Sioux as they are very, very, very good, however let the facts speak for themselves this year as this was probably not as strong a year for NW Iowa football as some years past.

Other than BH-RV (as noted a semifinalist in 2A so VERY good team), West Lyon was 7-2 (and everyone I think could agree this year's WL team is far below what they were a year ago), and CL-GLR (5-4)...everyone else on West Sioux's schedule had a losing record with three teams only have 3 wins and 2 teams only having 1 win.

Now all their wins in the regular season were very lopsided which means they were probably beating teams the way they should, and that I think speaks more to their consistently high level of play, than saying they "played some really good football teams".
I do not see a 17 point win but if you are looking at quality of schedule, Van Meter is not that great either. They Beat PC. Otherwise if you look at power rankings there was no one that they played that was better than 26th until they got to the playoffs. This could be a very good game.

DNH with a running clock (called it last week Vs I35 and got laughed at)
Van Meter by 21

Fun final DNH Vs Van Meter....pick-em game!

If Van Meter wins, which I say they will not, it will be by 10 or less. DNH will not put up another running clock. They may be good but not that good. Only way that happens is if the PC varsity gets in a bus crash on the way up so the Jr High team has to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoshAllen25
If Van Meter wins which is say they will not it will be by 10 or less. DNH will not put up another running clock. They may be good but not that good. Only way that happens is if the varsity gets in a bus crash on the way up so PC has to play with their Jr High team.

Why would you even suggest something as a bus crash???

Reactions: franky1967
If Van Meter wins which is say they will not it will be by 10 or less. DNH will not put up another running clock. They may be good but not that good. Only way that happens is if the varsity gets in a bus crash on the way up so PC has to play with their Jr High team.
Same comments I heard last week when I said DNH would beat I35 by 40. Don’t forget I-35 beat PC on that same field.

Not sure which game you are disagreeing with.

The PC vs DNH game. I really think the PC vs I35 game was a fluke. PC didn't play well at all. You have to remember that they have played 6 undefeated teams this season (at least undefeated when PC played them) so they know what it is like to play with pressure. Also, PC was at the Dome last year, DNH wasn't so there is always some of that "dome fever" that comes with less experience in that setting.

DNH was there two years ago in the 2A semifinals against BHRV. Some of the current seniors played in that game. I don’t think they will be in awe at all of the setting.

The PC vs DNH game. I really think the PC vs I35 game was a fluke. PC didn't play well at all. You have to remember that they have played 6 undefeated teams this season (at least undefeated when PC played them) so they know what it is like to play with pressure. Also, PC was at the Dome last year, DNH wasn't so there is always some of that "dome fever" that comes with less experience in that setting.
DNH is a dome regular, I'm guessing they have kids on their team that have played there. Learn your Iowa football history!

DNH is a dome regular, I'm guessing they have kids on their team that have played there. Learn your Iowa football history!
I just looked at quik stats and this Senior group has been at the dome 3 of their 4 years. I can find 4 players with stats their sophomore year, obviously that doesn't include lineman. Anyone from DNH out there want to help with this conversation?

I just looked at quik stats and this Senior group has been at the dome 3 of their 4 years. I can find 4 players with stats their sophomore year, obviously that doesn't include lineman. Anyone from DNH out there want to help with this conversation?

This year really can't count in the conversation about being used to the Dome... so two years (if they dressed as freshman... which they probably didn't for a 2A team)

This year really can't count in the conversation about being used to the Dome... so two years (if they dressed as freshman... which they probably didn't for a 2A team)

You get to bring everyone, so you might as well for the experience. It’s a good idea. Also, I think two of DNHs current linemen started on the oline as sophomores back in 2016 in the semis.

Reactions: Bearcat1974
I agree West Sioux goes down fairly easily to Van Meter in Semifinals. This is not class A football. Struggles against SSC proved who they actually are.
SCC definitely could have beat them, but West Sioux takes advantage of any mistake that you make. Van Meter needs to have no turnovers to win this game. They need to make good of West Sioux's mistakes.

SSC was the #1 ranked team in RPI. West Sioux's offense inside on turf will be fun to watch. The question will be, is their defense good enough to stop VM offense.

VM Defense > WS Defense
VM Offense < WS Offense

I don't think it will be "fairly easy" either way. This looks to be a great game. If Dekkers is on like I have seen him, I would take West Sioux in a good one.

DNH beats PC to submission...will be one of the worst Semifinal games! DNH would beat PCM and they beat PC by 45. Good Luck Bro!!!!
Obviously you are from eastern Iowa that is completely overrated football. You are an irate little pee on that has no idea how football is played or what it takes to win. DNH may win but say good bye in the title game because they were from one of the weakest districts in class 1A. 1 team could make the playoffs. What a joke.

Maybe you could give beastmode a lesson on football because you make sense.

I’m just saying you can’t overlook anyone at this point and not expect to just go in and roll everyone bc at this point everyone is very good. Also, DNH imo is just as good as the teams in the other game. It will be a good final no matter who is in it.

Reactions: Prancing Ponies
I agree with what you say. Maybe the adults should have a good conversation after the kids like beastmode go to bed.

Obviously you are from eastern Iowa that is completely overrated football. You are an irate little pee on that has no idea how football is played or what it takes to win. DNH may win but say good bye in the title game because they were from one of the weakest districts in class 1A. 1 team could make the playoffs. What a joke.
2 of the best teams in the state were in their district. DNH beat the undefeated winner of PCs district 37-0 at their own field. They are good and will dominate PC.

DNH beats PC to submission...will be one of the worst Semifinal games! DNH would beat PCM and they beat PC by 45. Good Luck Bro!!!!

Seriously? First, get your scores right. Secondly, PC wouldn't have lost by that except that they were missing 7 starters due to injury that week. It was insane. Thirdly, whatever game you saw PC play that was "weak" wasn't their best. You should come and watch how we play central Iowa football in the Dome. Watch and learn

Regardless of what everyone’s opinions are, congrats to the four teams playing in Saturday’s semifinals. Those four teams have worked hard and batted all season. They will all put on a good show and will compete to the best of their abilities. Saturday can’t come soon enough. Best of luck to all!

2 of the best teams in the state were in their district. DNH beat the undefeated winner of PCs district 37-0 at their own field. They are good and will dominate PC.
2 of the best teams in the state but you meant 2 of the best 17 teams since Regina did not make playoffs. They would be winners of the NIT of high school football. Your mom is calling so you better go to bed because you have to get up and go to school in the morning. Obviously you are not an adult so please refrain from messaging until you can grow up.

The best team DNH has played has been Regina

Yep, Regina scored more on them and pushed them more than any other team this season, including the playoffs so far. Regina just couldn't stop them defensively.

And, neither will PC. While PC has some nice offensive talent, it won't be nearly enough to keep pace with with DNH.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT