ADVERTISEMENT

Regina

Hmm which way are you thinking it works because there's a wrong answer and since you're a Regina fan here to defend yourself I'm going to assume you chose the wrong answer...

But also since this is hypothetical they scheduled it to have tougher teams on their schedule like Regina does. Ain't that right?.....

That's also the point. Illustrating why should Highland play a team from a bigger city....like Iowa City? Same difference and again fwiw this Chicago team also has fewer students than Regina who is bigger than Highland.

Enjoy.

Good for Highland challenging them self. The things they learn in a game like that will help them get better. Similar to how Regina got better by competing with Solon and learning what they needed to do to get better while Solon was on their run. I am sure this is the 'wrong' answer and I eagerly await your big reveal to demonstrate your premise.

Good for Highland challenging them self. The things they learn in a game like that will help them get better. Similar to how Regina got better by competing with Solon and learning what they needed to do to get better while Solon was on their run. I am sure this is the 'wrong' answer and I eagerly await your big reveal to demonstrate your premise.
I admire your patience.

Great job by Regina's coaching staff to come out in the 2nd half and have solid changes. Not sure what Solon was thinking trying to run at Regina's big guys all night... Watched on TV and even the announcers said (a few times) "Solon hasn't had much success between the tackles, not sure why they keep trying" or something close to that. Was hoping for a much better game (like the first half).

Regina should win another title.

You can't just schedule better teams. You have two district games and you just suggest to the state the three teams you would like to play. It's not like you can just make sure you play better teams out of district.

If you think Regina's dominance has more to do with who they schedule in the non-districts than the fact they are a 1A team from one of the biggest cities in Iowa and new recruits in to the program every year, you are painfully naive. Regina could schedule 7th grade teams in the non-district and still win every district game by 50.

Reactions: GoHawks2009
I have plenty of time. Is it something that will cause me to leave the board when my team loses or I am proven to have an unsubtantiated or wrong point of view? I have watched it happen to many people on this board.

Or maybe other people just have lives and don't want to spend their time arguing with some random private school dad on a high school sports message board.

Reactions: cyard31
You can't just schedule better teams. You have two district games and you just suggest to the state the three teams you would like to play. It's not like you can just make sure you play better teams out of district.

If you think Regina's dominance has more to do with who they schedule in the non-districts than the fact they are a 1A team from one of the biggest cities in Iowa and new recruits in to the program every year, you are painfully naive. Regina could schedule 7th grade teams in the non-district and still win every district game by 50.

And some people need to respond to uneducated, inaccurate posts such as yours to make sure people see a complete picture. I have yet to see Regina win every district game by 50, feel free to list the new recruits each year. I am sure the list is lengthy so maybe you should limit it to kids that show up from 9th grade on to make the compilation easier for you?

Reactions: Pinehawk
And some people need to respond to uneducated, inaccurate posts such as yours to make sure people see a complete picture. I have yet to see Regina win every district game by 50, feel free to list the new recruits each year. I am sure the list is lengthy so maybe you should limit it to kids that show up from 9th grade on to make the compilation easier for you?
Youre not getting tired of waiting are you?

Youre not getting tired of waiting are you?

Nope, could be like opening Al Capones vault or hopefully something better. Careful about responding too much NeverLearns may make a snide comment about you. The good news is if he is saying it there isn't usually any facts or basis to it.

Regina is still the heavy favorite to win it all this year, but after seeing Pella Christian dismantle Albia on Friday, they may give Regina a nice battle if they meet down the line. PC's offense is extremely explosive and fun to watch.

Reactions: GoHawks2009
I think the upcoming classes aren't very big. I'd guess they'll remain 1A size.

Freshman class this year was small.
8th grade has some great athletes (especially in basketball, and includes Coach Cook's youngest son).
7th grade is a little bigger with some talented kids.
6th grade is small, but has a great group of athletic kids.
5th grade is a little bigger with some dedicated kids playing a lot of sports very well.

I think the upcoming classes aren't very big. I'd guess they'll remain 1A size.

Freshman class this year was small.
8th grade has some great athletes (especially in basketball, and includes Coach Cook's youngest son).
7th grade is a little bigger with some talented kids.
6th grade is small, but has a great group of athletic kids.
5th grade is a little bigger with some dedicated kids playing a lot of sports very well.

I am new to the board but have reviewed some old posts. I am guessing the next question asked will be if this is before or after the next recruiting class is signed.

Regina is still the heavy favorite to win it all this year, but after seeing Pella Christian dismantle Albia on Friday, they may give Regina a nice battle if they meet down the line. PC's offense is extremely explosive and fun to watch.

Kacmarynski is a stud. Jungling too. They will be good. Regina knows how to win and has coaching that can't be beat. That just might be the match up to watch. Would like to see it.

I am new to the board but have reviewed some old posts. I am guessing the next question asked will be if this is before or after the next recruiting class is signed.

If you are throwing recruiting out there you will need to mention a multiplier, kicking tuition paying students out to keep beds down, no ESL, two parent homes, coaching staff salaries, metro area and ignore the 90's. Did I miss any? Oooops... You must throw the two names in 8 years that look like recruits. Let me know if I did miss any.

If you are throwing recruiting out there you will need to mention a multiplier, kicking tuition paying students out to keep beds down, no ESL, two parent homes, coaching staff salaries, metro area and ignore the 90's. Did I miss any? Oooops... You must throw the two names in 8 years that look like recruits. Let me know if I did miss any.

Cidhawkeye, not suggesting this is actually taking place. It just seems to be a common topic as it is everywhere when it comes to private schools.

I think you missed "all the sacrifices the parents make to send their kids to a private school" and "facilities are 3rd worldesque" and "open enrollment jibberish"... ;)

Reactions: rkhemp
I think you missed "all the sacrifices the parents make to send their kids to a private school" and "facilities are 3rd worldesque" and "open enrollment jibberish"... ;)

I knew I was missing something. Don't know if I ever went 3rd worldesque, more of a 'I wish we could pass a bond issue so we could have a turf practice field or state of the art weight room' , the open enrollment part is something that people like neverhave a clue conveniently ignore in their commentary. They are quick to point out that 'most of the other states have a multiplier' until it is shown otherwise. Welcome to the board Bluejay, assuming Creighton?

I knew I was missing something. Don't know if I ever went 3rd worldesque, more of a 'I wish we could pass a bond issue so we could have a turf practice field or state of the art weight room' , the open enrollment part is something that people like neverhave a clue conveniently ignore in their commentary. They are quick to point out that 'most of the other states have a multiplier' until it is shown otherwise. Welcome to the board Bluejay, assuming Creighton?

Yes, Creighton. Also Toronto. Therefore, maybe I should have gone with BluejayX2. I follow the Hawks as well as the Jays. Enjoy the CU basketball in place right now. Eastern Iowa guy (McDermott) running the show. Over the years CU has had many "under-the-radar" Iowa kids who have excelled--long before McDermott and Korver. Love to see Iowa kids go on and do well. Rooting for Duwa, Wirfs, and Coons to go on to big things. I am just an avid sports fan and enjoy following good HS sports no matter the school. My dad would go to any good HS game just because it was a good one. I caught that bug from him. In a separate post, I was looking for a good week 4 game to go to. No one has responded yet. From what I can tell, the best area game may be Sigourney-Keota (#9) and Regina (#1). Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I think I will go to that one.

Reactions: Pinehawk
This is slightly off topic but I felt it belonged under the thread titled "Regina".
The Press-Citizen coverage has not been great recently. Personally, I'm really enjoying yourprepsports.com. I hope they expand their coverage to compensate for USA Today's coverage, I mean Press-Citizen's coverage. Anyway, the PC had a decent article in the paper this morning on Regina football and motivation. This is a two-part question. The article states that in Regina’s world, district games tend to be blow outs early. The only close games recently were in the playoffs. West Branch played them tough in the playoffs last year. Interestingly, a couple of years ago Sigourney-Keota played them tough in the regular season I believe. Perhaps S-K will come in again ready for the challenge on Friday. It was interesting to see Coach Cook’s comments on how to keep the team motivated. Part 1: Can any Regal fans/parents provide further insight on how the team stays motivated? Is this article accurate or fluff? I would assume it to be accurate. Part 2: On the flip side of that equation, I am curious how a .500 or sub 0.500 team approaches its’ games against Regina? Do you build them up and say “we can win” if we play well? Do you try to focus on winning certain plays? Do you focus on being tough? Do you focus on winning a series when you can? You can either get psyched up or psyched out. You can build them up pre-game, but if they get demolished, do you lose them? If you show no confidence going in to the game, you could lose them at that point also. Coaches say there is no such thing as a moral victory but do you shoot for moral victories here? I would be interested to hear how teams prepare mentally.

: popping popcorn: This is the only forum on here that's remotely entertaining anymore. #sad

To the above, with West Burlington and Jesup in the rearview mirror, West Branch seems poised for perhaps many blow out victories over the next six weeks also. The same questions specifically for Bear fans, how to the Bears stay motivated with perhaps many over matched opponents ahead on their schedule?

Bluejay looking for good games:

Solon @ Washington "should" be a good game...

IC West vs City High,

Reactions: vkean
Bluejay looking for good games:

Solon @ Washington "should" be a good game...

IC West vs City High,
Thanks Vroom! Now it's getting tough. I didn't realize Solon and Washington were set to battle this early. I wish that game was played a little later in the season so both teams could gel. I think Washington might be too good for Solon at this juncture. That could change later in the season. I haven't seen Washington play but they sound solid and they are always tough kids. If Solon does lose this game, I think they'll run the table until playoffs.

This is slightly off topic but I felt it belonged under the thread titled "Regina".
The Press-Citizen coverage has not been great recently. Personally, I'm really enjoying yourprepsports.com. I hope they expand their coverage to compensate for USA Today's coverage, I mean Press-Citizen's coverage. Anyway, the PC had a decent article in the paper this morning on Regina football and motivation. This is a two-part question. The article states that in Regina’s world, district games tend to be blow outs early. The only close games recently were in the playoffs. West Branch played them tough in the playoffs last year. Interestingly, a couple of years ago Sigourney-Keota played them tough in the regular season I believe. Perhaps S-K will come in again ready for the challenge on Friday. It was interesting to see Coach Cook’s comments on how to keep the team motivated. Part 1: Can any Regal fans/parents provide further insight on how the team stays motivated? Is this article accurate or fluff? I would assume it to be accurate. Part 2: On the flip side of that equation, I am curious how a .500 or sub 0.500 team approaches its’ games against Regina? Do you build them up and say “we can win” if we play well? Do you try to focus on winning certain plays? Do you focus on being tough? Do you focus on winning a series when you can? You can either get psyched up or psyched out. You can build them up pre-game, but if they get demolished, do you lose them? If you show no confidence going in to the game, you could lose them at that point also. Coaches say there is no such thing as a moral victory but do you shoot for moral victories here? I would be interested to hear how teams prepare mentally.

Where do I begin? "The Press-Citizen coverage has not been great recently." it has been poor for awhile Pat and Susan tried but when you have a state championship team with a home game and the home city paper can't even get the score in the paper not to mention cover the game? Gannett got what they wanted, school newspaper moving printing, local people let go after decades, just a piss poor operation anymore.

"Interestingly, a couple of years ago Sigourney-Keota played them tough in the regular season I believe." I must have missed that game, unless you are a Savage Cobra supporter, Sigourney or Keota side of the field?

Part 1: Pretty accurate stuff. One of the best attributes the staff has is setting goals and motivating the team when they have a blow out expected. They are always working on something to take forward. This year may be a little more challenging in there is an underlying 'me' vs 'we' in some areas but the coaches will work through that part. It happens some every year.

Part 2: Not sure how a team approaches it, there have been some interesting comments shared from opponents through the years.

"Interestingly, a couple of years ago Sigourney-Keota played them tough in the regular season I believe." I must have missed that game, unless you are a Savage Cobra supporter, Sigourney or Keota side of the field?

Not a Savage Cobra supporter. Wasn't at it but I did listen on the radio while at work. I remembered it being close or at least closer than expected. I went and checked it out at Quikstats. It was at SK and Regina did win 19-0 in 2013.

Not a Savage Cobra supporter. Wasn't at it but I did listen on the radio while at work. I remembered it being close or at least closer than expected. I went and checked it out at Quikstats. It was at SK and Regina did win 19-0 in 2013.

Pretty ugly game that one was, Regina had a little over 300 yards and SK pushed out about 150. What the heck are you doing working on a Friday during football season? Are you some kind of moonshine runner or drug dealer or something?

Pretty ugly game that one was, Regina had a little over 300 yards and SK pushed out about 150. What the heck are you doing working on a Friday during football season? Are you some kind of moonshine runner or drug dealer or something?

CID, I'll break out my "The Deliverance" reference for this one, "Squeal like a piggie!"

Reactions: bigfridaynite

And if you are a Regina follower, you are probably very happy with the status quo. You probably think 1A schools should be able to compete, beat, and pound teams like Xavier and Solon as long as the kids work hard enough.

And if you are a Regina follower, you are probably very happy with the status quo. You probably think 1A schools should be able to compete, beat, and pound teams like Xavier and Solon as long as the kids work hard enough.

RK, I think you are saying that Regina is happy to stay in 1-A. Probably true. It sounds as if you are in favor of a multiplier and private schools playing up a class. That is always a popular topic. I don't want to focus on the multiplier as we could be here all day. I think you are saying Regina feels like it should be able to compete with larger schools and, therefore, so should other small schools. Partly true. My guess is Regina, like other quality programs, definitely feels that they should be able to move up and compete. Not necessarily win but compete. I don't think they necessarily think that others programs should automatically be able to do the same. Most quality programs probably aren't too worried what other programs do or how they do it. They are likely focused on what they do. Kirk Ferentz-ish, "we are going to do what we do better than you do what you do." Any quality program in any sport likely has the confidence to move up and compete. Although "size matters," being highly competitive does not necessarily equate to enrollment numbers or size of school. There are many examples of small schools in Iowa successfully competing with larger schools over the years. Palmer in basketball, Norway in Baseball, Clear Creek Amana in softball, Dike New Hartford in volleyball, and many more.

BJ - I am more than concerned with Maq Valley coming to the little rose bowl... you should skip City/West & come to WB game.

BJ - I am more than concerned with Maq Valley coming to the little rose bowl... you should skip City/West & come to WB game.
Still trying to decide. Might hit Regina/SK first and if it gets out of hand, go to 2nd half of West/City. However, I'd be glad to hit Herb and Lou's for a post game round table discussion!

Still trying to decide. Might hit Regina/SK first and if it gets out of hand, go to 2nd half of West/City. However, I'd be glad to hit Herb and Lou's for a post game round table discussion!

A heaper for all. RK, welcome back, been too quiet here.

Blue Jay, I think Regina's record run has less to do with them scheduling 3A and 2A blue bloods than it has to do with them being in a class above every one else in 1A and being able to beat the top schools 2 classes up. If Regina is able to beat Sigourney today, it will not be because Regina had Xavier on the schedule week 1 and Sigourney had Pekin.

Blue Jay, I think Regina's record run has less to do with them scheduling 3A and 2A blue bloods than it has to do with them being in a class above every one else in 1A and being able to beat the top schools 2 classes up. If Regina is able to beat Sigourney today, it will not be because Regina had Xavier on the schedule week 1 and Sigourney had Pekin.

RK, No arguments here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT