ADVERTISEMENT

Regina

Aug 17, 2016
Coach Cook made the comment that this year's offensive line is going to be one of the best he has ever had! Are we talking like 2010 good?

Where'd these boys come from? City or West?

Two of them came in 7th grade similar to older brothers. Would have been at West I believe. Too bad Martin and Kleinow didn't stay at Regina, might have added a little to the team this year. Unfortunately for the narrative there is usually more kids going out than coming in. It continues to surprise me.

Regina would prob be like a 4A school if so many kids didn't leave, right CID? :)

Regina would prob be like a 4A school if so many kids didn't leave, right CID? :)
why are they leaving? Cid you had posted on a different thread that this years senior class dropped something like 15 kids from 8th to 9th. What would you say the main reason for departures are?

So true, don't kids realize how good the football is? This senior class went from 64 students to 48 students between 8th and 9th grade, probably determined which kids couldn't play and kicked them out so they would keep their beds down. No need to worry about lost tuition. Dang metro private schools. ;)

Reactions: roosterk and rkhemp
So true, don't kids realize how good the football is? This senior class went from 64 students to 48 students between 8th and 9th grade, probably determined which kids couldn't play and kicked them out so they would keep their beds down. No need to worry about lost tuition. Dang metro private schools. ;)
were Martin & Kleinow 2 that left before freshman or did they leave earlier?

I personally know of two good kids and athletes left Regina 8th grade to attend SE Junior High this year. Not exactly sure why, but probably like many schools, a couple leave and a couple join each year.

Gonna be fun to see if those Iowa City All-Stars can compete with the likes of Van Buren and Columbus Junction.

I think they should be able to hold their own against the bond issuing, open enrollment beneficiaries. Can it get to 50 at the half? Hope so, do you need an extra box of tissue when it does? Or will it be you with the hand written letter to the state demanding a change with no solid proposal to fix things?

Even in the loss last night Regina showed they are the best team in 1A. No other 1A team even stays close to Xavier and it was a 2 point game late in the 4th.

Solon is very good and has a good shot at beating Regina also. It will be a good game. But by scheduling those two team they are pushing themselves to get better while other teams just look for easy wins in non-district games.

Reactions: Pinehawk
But by scheduling those two team they are pushing themselves to get better while other teams just look for easy wins in non-district games.

Interested to hear who you are referring to with that quote. My Eagles played a darned good Beckman squad last night. In week 2 we should get a win vs Ed-Co. I know in previous posts you seem to have a West Branch lean. Are you saying the Bears are playing weak competition by playing a 2A and 3A school in the non-district? I love fun chatter!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like Clayton Ridge played very well last night losing a close game to Beckman.
What players do they have back on their lines from last year?. Have the junior and senior classes had a lot of success as they have come through?

I have been at the Regina-Xavier games the past three years as well as Regina-Solon and I just think that playing teams like that are part of the reason Regina has had some much post season success.

Even in the loss last night Regina showed they are the best team in 1A. No other 1A team even stays close to Xavier and it was a 2 point game late in the 4th.

2 point game with under 2 minutes to play. It was a good game. Regina made a few too many mistakes to beat a team as good as Xavier. But, they are pushing themselves to improve with a game like that, instead of worrying about their record. They will not see a better running back this season.

Regina is the class of 1A no doubt but there are other 1A teams who under the right circumstances can beat them. It will take them playing virtually perfect and Regina making mistakes but it can happen.

Solon is very good and has a good shot at beating Regina also. It will be a good game. But by scheduling those two team they are pushing themselves to get better while other teams just look for easy wins in non-district games.
It's much more complex an issue than simply saying "schedule tougher so you can be like Regina/be a tougher program" or to suggest that they're trying to just slide by......

Xavier plays a 1A team in Regina because they know they'll get a good game from them. They don't view Regina as merely a 1A team in that respect. However, they wouldn't be so apt to schedule the Regals for the last 3 years if Regina was going 4-5 every season and not winning championships. They would look somewhere else for a competitive non-conference game. Probably within the 4A/3A ranks like most others in that class range do.

The door swings both ways when it comes to scheduling.

Looks like Clayton Ridge played very well last night losing a close game to Beckman.
What players do they have back on their lines from last year?. Have the junior and senior classes had a lot of success as they have come through?

I have been at the Regina-Xavier games the past three years as well as Regina-Solon and I just think that playing teams like that are part of the reason Regina has had some much post season success.
Every team cannot play the same teams - just like in NCAA the "power" rating shouldn't come into play since not everyone can play Alabama, OSU, Clemson, etc...you can certainly put your name in the hat but no guarantee you will be picked.

Reactions: DarkThunder#61
It's much more complex an issue than simply saying "schedule tougher so you can be like Regina/be a tougher program" or to suggest that they're trying to just slide by......

Xavier plays a 1A team in Regina because they know they'll get a good game from them. They don't view Regina as merely a 1A team in that respect. However, they wouldn't be so apt to schedule the Regals for the last 3 years if Regina was going 4-5 every season and not winning championships. They would look somewhere else for a competitive non-conference game. Probably within the 4A/3A ranks like most others in that class range do.

The door swings both ways when it comes to scheduling.

It does and scheduling isn't easy at all. I do get a chuckle out of some schools who tout the fact that they are scheduling up and add teams that have one win in two years and sub 500 records. I realize that not everybody wants to put schools on their list for several reasons. It is good to get challenged as much as you can. Might mean starting with an 0-2 record but the lessons learned will hopefully pay off later in the season when you need to dig deep.

I see Regina has a BEDS # of 188 now. Cid, will that number be up or down for the next realignment? Cutoff for 2A will likely be low 200s again.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkThunder#61
I see Regina has a BEDS # of 188 now. Cid, will that number be up or down for the next realignment? Cutoff for 2A will likely be low 200s again.

Depends on how recruiting and kicking tuition paying students go.

Should stay under the 200 mark.

2 point game with under 2 minutes to play. It was a good game. Regina made a few too many mistakes to beat a team as good as Xavier. But, they are pushing themselves to improve with a game like that, instead of worrying about their record. They will not see a better running back this season.
looks as though (compared to the past) that the Regals may be not as strong in the kicking game. Pine or Cid- do they have a "soccer player" kicker that improve kicking game?

It does and scheduling isn't easy at all. I do get a chuckle out of some schools who tout the fact that they are scheduling up and add teams that have one win in two years and sub 500 records. .

Wish I could figure out who you've directed that quote towards. Might take me a while.

looks as though (compared to the past) that the Regals may be not as strong in the kicking game. Pine or Cid- do they have a "soccer player" kicker that improve kicking game?

He's a soccer player that I don't think played football last year. I think he'll improve quickly, but it's probably all a bit new still.

Yes, WBBF. I wonder who. Tell that little parochial school jiblet that if it wasn't for the AD at Regina whining and crying to the IHSAA they would never have been admitted to the EIHC or CVC. Kind of like Camanche and the RVC.

Money Talks I guess.

Yes, WBBF. I wonder who. Tell that little parochial school jiblet that if it wasn't for the AD at Regina whining and crying to the IHSAA they would never have been admitted to the EIHC or CVC. Kind of like Camanche and the RVC.

Money Talks I guess.

Sniff, sniff.... Feeling so upset about it. Not sure who had the money this last redistricting. It wasn't Regina. As far as getting in the conferences did they want a lesser program so they could continue to puff up their records?

Riley Dixon still taking in stragglers at his house?

Done with the tactic of having part time starters move in to an existing home. Regina has seen how to do it. Have all state kids move into an apartment downtown. It's a way better process. It hasn't produced championships for the school that has done it but it is easier. Glad the school could learn from the masters at it.

Reactions: cyard31
Done with the tactic of having part time starters move in to an existing home. Regina has seen how to do it. Have all state kids move into an apartment downtown. It's a way better process. It hasn't produced championships for the school that has done it but it is easier. Glad the school could learn from the masters at it.

And I thought this one was put to bed. You freaking idiot EIHCGuy. Now I feel compelled to once again tell the whole story:

Cooper Koenig and Jacob Giese both lived within the WB school district boundaries with their parents. I lived in the WB district with my parents, too. Are we going to try and run me through your crack investigation lab to find out if I was illegally participating in sports or not?

(Side Note: Koenig lived right next door to BlameIt himself. Ain't life grand?)

Reactions: EIHCGuy
And I thought this one was put to bed. You freaking idiot EIHCGuy. Now I feel compelled to once again tell the whole story:

Cooper Koenig and Jacob Giese both lived within the WB school district boundaries with their parents. I lived in the WB district with my parents, too. Are we going to try and run me through your crack investigation lab to find out if I was illegally participating in sports or not?

And boom went the dynamite.

So both of those students lived in the WB district with their parents when they attended WB for their first day at WB? Not addressing your living situation WBBear.

So I was just curious. Let's say for whatever reason Highland was schedule to play a small private school from Chicago which happened to be really good at football. Should we expect Highland to compete or should we just tell them to try harder if they don't like not being as good as a small private school from Chicago that competes in the same league as schools as big as WDM Valley and that if they just dedicated themselves more towards football then they surely would eventually be able to compete with this team?

Fwiw the school I have in mind is actually smaller than Highland strictly in terms of enrollment....

So I was just curious. Let's say for whatever reason Highland was schedule to play a small private school from Chicago which happened to be really good at football. Should we expect Highland to compete or should we just tell them to try harder if they don't like not being as good as a small private school from Chicago that competes in the same league as schools as big as WDM Valley and that if they just dedicated themselves more towards football then they surely would eventually be able to compete with this team?

Fwiw the school I have in mind is actually smaller than Highland strictly in terms of enrollment....

Yes, that is how it works. Might want to figure out why they went into Chicago for a game.

Yes, that is how it works. Might want to figure out why they went into Chicago for a game.
Hmm which way are you thinking it works because there's a wrong answer and since you're a Regina fan here to defend yourself I'm going to assume you chose the wrong answer...

But also since this is hypothetical they scheduled it to have tougher teams on their schedule like Regina does. Ain't that right?.....

That's also the point. Illustrating why should Highland play a team from a bigger city....like Iowa City? Same difference and again fwiw this Chicago team also has fewer students than Regina who is bigger than Highland.

Enjoy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT