ADVERTISEMENT

People hate a winner

Liberty Hawk

Varsity
Oct 28, 2002
Dan Gable once told me that people believed that his program was hurting college wrestling. They hated Iowa for the mere fact they won 15 + Big Ten Championships and a number of NCCA titles. The same kids that wrestled at Iowa are now head coaches all over the country promoting wrestling.

Regina has had a great run and now everyone hates on them. If it is the private vs. public debate then why doesn't Waterloo Columbus or Dubuque Wahlert dominate? Regina has great resources and kids that work extremely hard. Good luck to the 2015 team, they will be young at the start of the season, but by the end of the year look out.

GO REGALS!

I have yet to see anyone really rub it in. More defending the people that haven't won before and are taking shots at those who have won. So I guess it is what it is.

Originally posted by Liberty Hawk:

Dan Gable once told me that people believed that his program was hurting college wrestling. They hated Iowa for the mere fact they won 15 + Big Ten Championships and a number of NCCA titles. The same kids that wrestled at Iowa are now head coaches all over the country promoting wrestling.

Regina has had a great run and now everyone hates on them. If it is the private vs. public debate then why doesn't Waterloo Columbus or Dubuque Wahlert dominate? Regina has great resources and kids that work extremely hard. Good luck to the 2015 team, they will be young at the start of the season, but by the end of the year look out.

GO REGALS!
The success hasn't garned the "hate", that has been there since I was in school (back in the 80's).
wink.r191677.gif

i don't hate Regina.

Hate is a strong word.

I just do not feel Regina, and schools of the like, play on the same level field as public schools.
Who is to say that BEDS count numbers are 100% legitimate? Privates have no public record to dispute them.

They are not 'cheating' their own bylaws and rules, they are just using them to an advantage that public schools cannot.

that's my position. period. end of discussion from me.

Everyone can recruit in college wrestling. Only select private school can recruit in high school football. Gable was a great coach, so is Marv Cook. But his team is not solely coaching it was also recruits.

Originally posted by Chow22:
Everyone can recruit in college wrestling. Only select private school can recruit in high school football. Gable was a great coach, so is Marv Cook. But his team is not solely coaching it was also recruits.
Chow you and some of the others on this forum are seriously pathetic. You say they recruit, but you can't name a single athlete that they have recruited. If you are unhappy with Regina's success, grow a pair of balls and help other teams get better, rather than trying to discredit the hard work of the kids at Regina. Those kids have earned every championship they have won.

originally posted by Vroom_C14:Every single athlete that goes to Regina is recruited. There I named all of them! ;)

Vroom - you are 1 of those that made a design on the ovals while taking ITBS --- come on admit it big fella :)

I think blameit calls it on this one. People don't hate Regina but they are tired of watching a great program who does enjoy the advantages of a private school in a large metropolitan area (compared to their public counterparts) continue to dominate at the same time their fans for the most part deny any advantage.

Blame makes an inference that the BEDS numbers may not be 100% accurate. Not sure I can give him much credit for something like that. If there is something factual he wants to say he should say it. Maybe get a school directory and count the people in it, that might not work because I am sure they would keep people out to continue the conspiracy theory that they want to cheat to stay in 1A. Let's see if I can follow the same path, I heard that the going price for all state lineman to move into your district might be the boosters paying their mortgage for their senior year... Or local coaches lobby the boys in Boone to keep Regina out of their district and to change the playoff structure so their team can make the dome again. No facts to back me up but it's okay to just keep throwing junk out there. It is different to be in a private school in a city like Iowa City, there are advantages and disadvantages. Think Regina would have accepted an all state lineman who had a parent that worked in Iowa City? More than likely. They chose elsewhere, it happens, it's not for everyone and it's not the same. That doesn't make it an unfair advantage. Those advantages come from talent, hard work and coaching.

Cid. I always enjoy your comments and perspective, but that's all we hear........kids working hard, great coaches, and talent. We get that, but you have to remember the kids come from select populations. Not all student population are included, i.e. "sped" students, that get included in public beds numbers. I thinks that's what everyone tries to point out, but private backers don't see it.

Originally posted by BlameIt:
i don't hate Regina.

Hate is a strong word.

I just do not feel Regina, and schools of the like, play on the same level field as public schools.
Who is to say that BEDS count numbers are 100% legitimate? Privates have no public record to dispute them.

They are not 'cheating' their own bylaws and rules, they are just using them to an advantage that public schools cannot.

that's my position. period. end of discussion from me.
This....

The bylaws are set from the state and Regina follows them just as the public schools have to. There are learning challenged students at Regina, there are discipline kids that come to Regina as a last resort, as many as other 1A rural schools? I don't know, according to Blame we probably don't count them as a full student, you know to keep the BEDS count down and everything, probably count them as 1/4 of a student and get full tuition out of them.

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
The bylaws are set from the state and Regina follows them just as the public schools have to. There are learning challenged students at Regina, there are discipline kids that come to Regina as a last resort, as many as other 1A rural schools? I don't know, according to Blame we probably don't count them as a full student, you know to keep the BEDS count down and everything, probably count them as 1/4 of a student and get full tuition out of them.
You know, it'd be real easy to count the number of pictures in the year book for grades 9-11 if you wanted to cross reference them. I'd trust your counting. Just saying.

was that what I said?

read it again.

I hinted that it is possible to hide BEDS count because there is no public record anywhere for anybody to search if you're a private.

I didn't say that it happened.

Calgary won its seventh Canadian Football League title and first since 2008.

how does this happen... how do we even the playing field?

I am sick of Calgary winning!

Originally posted by cyard31:

originally posted by Vroom_C14:Every single athlete that goes to Regina is recruited. There I named all of them! ;)

Vroom - you are 1 of those that made a design on the ovals while taking ITBS --- come on admit it big fella :)
Xmas tree actually... ;)

Another winner to hate = •Top storyline: Boys Basketball Iowa City West High is seeking to become the first team in state history to win four straight big-school state titles.

Yes everyone hates a winner, but they can make themselves likeable too. Look at the Bulls during their run with Jordan. Yeah their rivals' fans might've disliked them, but they still admired the success they had. There was respect there. And that's something I think has been lost over the years. More and more consecutively successful teams are despised if it's not their fans' favorite team winning.

Though a lot of it really does have to do with how you win. It makes a difference.

Originally posted by cyard31:
Another winner to hate = •Top storyline: Boys Basketball Iowa City West High is seeking to become the first team in state history to win four straight big-school state titles.
Difference is this: the rest of the 4A schools are in big towns. Their opportunities to open enroll are much easier and practical. So they are basically a wash. But I guess I wouldn't tell that to Mason City, Marshalltown or fort dodge.

A 1A private school in a big town in not in line with their 1A rural peers, which is most of the rest of the class.
A 4A public school in a big town with open enrollees is still on par with the other 4A peers, they are still playing with larger populations.

I've said it before and i'll say it again.
Throw a 10 mile radius around Calmar or west lyon and see how many people you hit. Then throw that same 10 mile radius around Regina or st. ed's and see how many you hit.
I'm guessing maybe 1500-2000 for calmar and west lyon vs 110,000 for regina and maybe 26,000 for fort dodge.

Can you imagine what South winn or west lyon would have done to 1A competiton if they had those number to draw from.

People don't hate a winner. People hate teams that win with advantages that their "peers" don't have, especially when those advantages are so big.
Just another tidbit to ponder for those that think that larger populations don't have advantages. Of the 16 schools in the semi's for 1A-4A 12 of the 16 towns have a college or university in them. 13 if you want to count the community college in calmar.

Why do you think no one hates west lyon or central lyon?

This post was edited on 12/2 10:58 AM by Bulldogs1974

This post was edited on 12/2 11:04 AM by Bulldogs1974

This post was edited on 12/2 11:06 AM by Bulldogs1974

You don't think West High has a big advantage over Ottumwa? Or Davenport?

Advantages? Yes, unfair advantages? Up to people to decide that. I am sure that West Lyon and Calmar have a Solon, West Branch, Clear Creek, Iowa City High, Iowa City West etc in their radius as well. I am sure it is a huge advantage to be the only school in that group that charges tuition as well....of course there is, charging tuition ensures that you only get people who's parents are involved in their children's sports activities. You will not hear very many people who play against Regina saying that they played the game any other way than the correct way. And now it sounds like we will need a multiplier for schools that have colleges or universities in them, does that apply to Fayette where they have a university but no high school? I guess there are several choices to make, keep complaining about the advantages and do nothing else, keep complaining about the advantages and find ways to get better or get back to work and close that gap. If you read some forecasts for Regina going forward the run is over and the numbers will be down. I am sure you will be very vocal about how great it is to win and see the public schools rise up again, winning with class and everything.

CID - You took my trivia question. What town in Iowa has a University but no High School? Fayette Nam :)

Originally posted by Pinehawk:
You don't think West High has a big advantage over Ottumwa? Or Davenport?
I could see over Ottumwa, Davenport not really. Population wise IC is nearly 3x the size of Ottumwa, Davenport is larger than IC by 30k.

So Davenport should be dominating them? With a population that much larger and a far bigger pool of students to draw from the Davenport schools should never lose.

If Assumption had a smaller student base, but still kept all the athletes from the Davenport area they have, they would be a pretty salty 1A program.....

So Davenport should be dominating them? With a population that much larger and a far bigger pool of students to draw from the Davenport schools should never lose.
"Should" one would think. If i read the enrollment sheet right, I think Davenport has one of if not the highest OE-Out counts in the state.

Hmmm, odd the discusion was about 4a public schools and Assumption gets thrown in.
I must have missed that. I thought I was on a 1A forum thread and can only talk about whatever fits your agenda. I forgot you are the only one to be able to change the direction of a thread. I apologize for breaking your rules again.

I missed the part where I said anything about an agenda, changing the direction of a thread or that I somehow have rules that can be broken. I believe I made a comment about a post that was made in the thread. I was under the impression that this is a message board where people makes posts and comments. If I need to be corrected on that please feel free to let me know.

Originally posted by Vroom_C14:
"Should" one would think. If i read the enrollment sheet right, I think Davenport has one of if not the highest OE-Out counts in the state.
And I'm sure all those kids transferring out go to Assumption. I bet hardly any of them go to Bettendorf or Pleasant Valley.

Originally posted by tm33_08:

And I'm sure all those kids transferring out go to Assumption. I bet hardly any of them go to Bettendorf or Pleasant Valley.
Never said they went to Ass - if they did Ass' enrollment count would be much higher. My guess is they go to Bett, PV even NS. I would lean more towards Bett as some friends that live their state a lot of people do not want their kids going to the Dav Public schools.

Where they go to school is immaterial, the schools are located in a large metropolitan area, covering two states and they have a University in the town. Should be dominant.

Where they go to school is immaterial, the schools are located in a large metropolitan area, covering two states and they have a University in the town. Should be dominant.
Bettendorf is dominant. I think the end state of this is that these schools are competing in the largest class in the state, so if they do win repeated titles then good for them and there is not much else to do. If they (say ICW) for example were playing in 2A (and had a 2A enrollment) and rolling, I am sure then it would take on a different view...

Never said they went to Ass - if they did Ass' enrollment count would be much higher. My guess is they go to Bett, PV even NS. I would lean more towards Bett as some friends that live their state a lot of people do not want their kids going to the Dav Public schools.
I'm well aware that the majority go to other 4A schools in the area. But everybody's always whining about private schools (yourself included), and all of the suburb schools in the quad cities, both public and private, reap the benefits of transfers from the city schools. But nobody complains about Bettendorf when talking about the QC, just Assumption.

I'm well aware that the majority go to other 4A schools in the area. But everybody's always whining about private schools (yourself included), and all of the suburb schools in the quad cities, both public and private, reap the benefits of transfers from the city schools. But nobody complains about Bettendorf when talking about the QC, just Assumption.
Your "assumption" is incorrect.

I am seeing some inconsistency in some of these debates. I wonder if the area schools that lose their wrestlers to Bettendorf think that everything is above board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT