ADVERTISEMENT

MVC and MAC to discuss district football on Wednesday

Franky,
Who do suppose is on the Cedar Falls wish list for non district opponents next year?

Cedar Falls has always been a quality program, and Franky's numbers show that.

If I were to guess as to who CF would want to schedule, I would bet it's quality teams. One of the constant complaints CF has is they don't see tough competition till playoffs.

I bet some of those Iowa City schools are on Pat Mitchell's radar, IC West comes to mind. Xavier/Solon/Regina for 3A. Not sure how the feeling is playing MAC teams. At home in the dome, no problem, but who really wants to drive to Davenport when we have so many schools around here?

46 is a strange number to divide up. How about this, 8 5 team districts and 1 6 team district, the 6 team district would be the Sioux City and Council Bluffs schools. Then give the other 8 districts a sister district for a cross over games the last 5 weeks of the season. You take the top 2 teams out of each district and 14 at large teams.

I am looking at the overall record through the years, they have done really well in any conference that they have been in. In the past 62yrs. they have had only 6 losing seasons. I think that is pretty impressive. In that span, in regular season play their record is 388-153-1 that is a 72% winning percentage. A Overall Record 427-177-1 which is 71%.

Their record in the MVC, is only 2nd behind IC High. I could be wrong, but I am not sure I would find 5-4A schools that can show that kind of consistent play for the past 50yrs.

1) Bettendorf 408-140-8 11 losing seasons/ 469-162-8 overall
2) Cedar Falls 388-153-1 6 losing seasons/ 427-177-1. CF played in 13 less regular season games then Bettendorf.
3) I think maybe Dowling
4) Not sure of Iowa City High

I would guess Cedar falls would try to schedule the local Waterloo 4A schools, Iowa City High, and Xavier in 4 non-district games.

I do not ever see Cedar Falls not playing Waterloo East and Waterloo West. If the 3 are not in the same district, then one or two non district games will be against East and West.

Mock District:
Cedar Falls
Wat East
Wat West
Marshalltown
Mason City
Linn-Mar

3A Wish list[/B]
Waverly Shell Rock-since they are already playing Mason City. This game would be the biggest gate game for CF with a 3A School.

Decorah
Xavier

4A Wish List[/B]
CR Kennedy
CR Washington
IC High
Clinton-I don't see CF playing any of the other former MAC Teams
Linn-Mar- if they are not in same district

I totally agree about Cedar Falls not playing any of he old MAC schools. Exact same statement could be made for Waterloos East and West. Logistically, it makes a lot less sense...not that they use sense during the playoffs, which includes Wednesdays.

Originally posted by PNation:
46 is a strange number to divide up. How about this, 8 5 team districts and 1 6 team district, the 6 team district would be the Sioux City and Council Bluffs schools. Then give the other 8 districts a sister district for a cross over games the last 5 weeks of the season. You take the top 2 teams out of each district and 14 at large teams.
That makes too much sense. I like that idea though.

Franky,
You present an interesting stats for the old big8/9/8 conference. Did the 4 schools leave (Marshalltown, Mason City Newton, and Ames} the Big 8 because of Cedar Fall's success? All those schools ended up in the CIML National Conference and eventually were placed in the CIML Iowa conference. I don't see that those schools had anymore success with Valley in those two later alignments either. My understanding was that one of the reasons that the MVC conference was formed, was to solve scheduling problems for the eventual members in Blackhawk County and the Dubuque schools?

Regardless, I agree that Mason City and Marshalltown make sense for the mock district you proposed.

This post was edited on 12/24 5:48 AM by tnobd

This post was edited on 12/24 5:51 AM by tnobd

This post was edited on 12/24 7:02 AM by tnobd

Screwloose,
If there was a point system added to a 4A district system, I think that a 1-team 3A schedule exemption would probably work well.
Assuming:

1.The IHSAA would help the 4A ADs with finding 3 geographic non-district 4A opponents for every school

2.The playoff teams were seeded into two pools of 16 schools based on geography

The 3A exemption could be extended to one Interstate game also...so the 4A schools on both the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers could schedule a game that save their travel costs.

I don't think interstate games are forbidden, it's a matter of simplicity since the IHSAA creates the entire schedule for all teams that play district football. Its a lot easier to get everyone their non-district games if they don't have to worry about Decorah/Prairie du Chein & Mt Pleasant/Quincy games.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by EpenesaEpenesa:
The MVC will not be a football conference. The coaches already submitted their non district "wish list" teams they would like to play to their AD's.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
While I agree that districts are by far the most likely outcome for next year, I'm not sure this proves it. Just as a matter of timing, schools are going to have to get their wish lists ready in case districts happen ... but if it's already decided, what's the purpose of the AD meeting on January 7?

Again, I think districts are going to be used next year, and that's probably the best outcome considering the events of the past two months. But I'm not totally ruling out some members of the MVC hoping for some kind of "Hail Mary" at the January 7 meeting to keep a 12-team conference alive.

tnob,

Newton was the 1st to go, the Big 8/9 was to much for them. I would say Waterloo East constantly thumping them was the main reason they left. One being a 98-6 victory

Ames left after the 1982 season, No reason appears to stick out they seemed to be able to play with the Big 8/9 year in and year out. I think they were invited to join a Des Moines Conference at the time.

Marshalltown was invited to join the same conference or a conference in the Des Moines area after the 1989 season.

Ft Dodge & Mason City [/B] were forced to the Western part of the State when East, West and CF were finally voted into the MVC after a second try. The 1991 season came to a quick end for the Big 8, the remaining 5 schools were playing opponents from out of state and 3a schools. These 5 schools were the aftermath, the schools nobody wanted. I am not sure of the Dubuque schools as they were in a conference already. Hempstead and CF started playing in 1984, My understanding at the time was Ft. Dodge and Mason City would not have left if CF, East and West did not get into the MVC. It's also my understanding at the time that CF,East and West would also not have left if Ft. Dodge and Mason City did not have a place to go.

None of this was due to Cedar Falls having any kind of success in football.

With the MVC going districts, they will be looking for some non-district match-ups that could be alot of fun and bring alot of fan interest. I recently heard that Regina had reached out to City High and West High about playing next season for non-district.

Unless there's straight district qualifying for 4A, which most people on here seem to be against, or a non-4A points exemption Iowa City Regina can keep dreaming about playing Iowa City High or Iowa City West.

Word is they have asked. As far as "keep dreaming" let's just have the game and see what happens. Suppose to be an "easy" win for the big 4A teams right?

Pnation you would be incorrect. They have spoken to City and West as well as a few other larger class schools. You may see them play one of those schools at the Freshman level. They have been playing one of the Bettendorf teams at that level for the past 4 years. They continue to play Solon at all levels so I am not sure why you would "highly doubt" the premise. For City, West and the other schools it is a no win situation.

Originally posted by screwloose:
Unless there's straight district qualifying for 4A, which most people on here seem to be against, or a non-4A points exemption Iowa City Regina can keep dreaming about playing Iowa City High or Iowa City West.
My guess would be the state will indeed use straight district qualifying. If we have districts of 6-6-6-5 on each side of the state, I figure they'll just send the top four from each district to the playoffs. Which would give every 4A team four or five non-district games with whoever they can rustle up.

I don't care much for 5-team districts because there's so few games that decide district placement/playoff qualifiers, but I'm savvy enough to know that 32 playoff teams out of 46 4A members means ... well, the way you sort out those 14 non-playoff teams doesn't really matter much. There's only so many ways to arrange 46. Six 7-team districts and four independents?
3dgrin.r191677.gif

The state would really surprise me if they went with a different, at-large, points-related plan for qualifying. That said, I wouldn't recommend anyone putting any money on my guess. I tend to be wrong with annoying frequency.

I can only watch the Christmas Story on TBS so many times....

I am going to defend printit. I see lower classification teams playing 1 or 2 classes up all the time. It depends on the quality of the teams involved. If Regina wants to schedule a varsity game with a 4A squad....go ahead. But I have never seen a cross class game involving 2 or more classes scheduled late in the year....they are played early when injuries and depth are not an issue. In the state I live in, two perennial prep powers in the same county play every year...one is a 6A squad and one is a 3A team...and the game is always competitive. But again the game is played early in the year.

Correct me if am wrong, but if the 4A districts had one 3A schedule or less exemption and used a point system to select at- large playoff qualifiers past the district winners and the runner up, why couldn't the districts include more then 6 teams.?

Why not use:
4-8 team districts and 2-7 team districts. After the teams qualify, why couldn't they be separated every year into two play-off pools of 16 teams each based on geography. You could still attempt to balance the district alignments by the teams 10 year records. You could still have room for a new Iowa City schedule and possibly another Waukee high school in that format later.

It seems to me that the biggest issue in 5 or 6 team districts with straight 4 team qualifiers are the inequities of the last qualifier in each district. Unless the IHSAA is willing to address the size of the 4A class to make the districts large enough then you need a fair system to select the lower seeds in the playoff. IMO the 3A class is at the bare minimum of 7 team districts for the selection of the four qualifiers.

I totally agree that six 8- and 7-team districts would be much better. The biggest issue I could see is that they would need to go more geographical in those set-ups in the sense that the Des Moines public and the Cedar Rapids public schools would have to be spread out over no more than two districts, to ensure they could keep all the others on their schedule. I think restoring as many of the old rivalries is of max importance.

As for playing lower classifications, I have no issue with it. I'm wondering if printit thought I was dogging on his idea of Regina playing either of the 4As in Iowa City. Not the case. What I was say, to clarify, is that if there's is no exemption it's not gonna happen. If they go with strict district placing into the playoffs, there's a chance.

I still think my plan on the second page of this thread would be best. One exemption, new point system, only 16 automatic qualifiers. If you're going to go less than seven teams in a district, then open qualifying is the fairest way to everyone. The state setting the brackets up geographically like they did in the past, using the "pod pot"-system would keep everything sorted and balanced. In fact, last year's playoff tree would have looked like this, using that new point system and the pod-pot...

]----- (32) Mason City @ (1) WDM Dowling
]----- (17) SC East @ (15) Johnston
]----------
]----- (18) Indianola @ (15) CR Washington
]----- (28) Marion Lin-Mar @ (7) CR Kennedy
]---------------
]----- (27) Waterloo West @ (6) Waukee
]----- (24) SC North @ (9) Ames
]----------
]----- (22) CB Lincoln @ (10) SE Polk
]----- (30) DM Hoover @ (4) Urbandale
]--------------------
]----- (31) Fort Dodge @ (3) WDM Valley
]----- (21) Ankeny @ (12) Ank Centennial
]----------
]----- (20) North Scott @ (14) Cedar Falls
]----- (26) Dav Central @ (5) IC West
]---------------
]----- (25) Clinton @ (8) IC High
]----- (23) Dub Hempstead @ (11) Bettendorf
]----------
]----- (19) CR Prairie @ (16) Muscatine
]----- (29) Dub Senior @ (2) Pleasant Valley

These pairings are derived from the "my scenario" on the second page of this thread. Top 16 seeds are champions and runner-ups from the eight districts I laid out there.

Espenesa mentioned the key point about scheduling teams in lower classes... the embarrassment of losing to a much smaller school.

The details of larger districts in 4A would be interesting...if they were built with geography in mind, I would say Ft Dodge would be grouped with the Sioux City schools and the CB schools. That would require either 2- 165 mile road trips to CB every other year for Ft Dodge.

The other two districts moving east would be in Des Moines area.

You could move Muscatine and Burlington from the remaining MAC schools and create a 7 team district in the Quad Cities but what would you do with the two remaining Dubuque 4A schools...70 miles between the two communities seems like an invitation to split up the remaining MAC members even more?

The constants in the districts are the school districts with multiple high schools...you have to allow these schools to play round robin football schedules within the school districts.

The biggest difference in districts versus conferences are the mechanisms for changing them....the district system is designed for frequent change. Conferences members are uncomfortable with adding or losing members. There are no insurances that DM Hoover, Davenport North, or even North Scott will have the 700 students to remain in 4A football in the future. If you reevaluate the 4A districts every 2 years like the other classes then it would be easier to make changes in the 4A class as needed.

Originally posted by tnobd:

Espenesa mentioned the key point about scheduling teams in lower classes... the embarrassment of losing to a much smaller school.
This is like Delany from the Big Ten whining about playing FCS schools.

I see it another way. A lower quality 4A team can schedule a 3A team they can compete well with. I don't think the ADs will want to set their schools up for slaughter. It does neither team any good. I see ADs scheduling competitive games that they have the possibility of winning.

I would agree with that, and think in Burlington's case, they can play a couple of local teams and create fun rivalry games that are a better draw than any of their current opponents.

After reviewing my statement

The constants in the districts are the school districts with multiple high schools...you have to allow these schools to play round robin football schedules within the school districts.

I meant this statement

The constants in the districts are the incorporated school districts with multiple high schools...you have to allow these schools to play round robin football schedules within their school districts.

I can think of some possible 4A/3A non-district matchups that have been or could be interesting as Orsky mentioned:

Clinton/Dewitt Central
Burlington/Keokuk
Muscatine/Washington
Ottumwa/Oskaloosa
Mason City/Clear Lake (in place)
Heelan and 4A Sioux City 4A schools
Xavier and Cedar Rapids 4A schools
DW and the local Dubuque 4A schools
Waverly Shell Rock/Cedar Falls (per Franky)
Assumption and the local Davenport schools
Marshalltown/Newton
Ames/Boone

Add to the list?

Be careful that any ideas you come up with, Jeff Linder will take and use for hi column on iowaprepsports.com or in The Gazette. Funny how I mentioned the 3A exemption about a month back and a few days ago, Linder used that same idea in his column. He's been piggy-backing off my Number Cruncher for years. Just so you all know.

As to the 3A list...
Harlan vs. CB Lewis Central, CB Jefferson or CB Lincoln
SC West vs. Sergeant Bluff-Luton
Webster City vs. Fort Dodge
There's many variations and possibilities here.

Reviving this thread as a reminder that today (January 7) is the scheduled meeting of the 12 remaining MVC football schools to determine their direction for next season. Will they try to hold on as the lone conference left standing, and make the state form districts around them? Or will they decide to go along with everyone else and embrace the district concept?

The IAHSAA says they need to know the MVC's plans by Friday, so we are in the endgame here.

My first post got eaten by digital squirrels, so I will try again..

Reviving this thread as a reminder that today (January 7) is the scheduled meeting of the 12 remaining football members of the MVC, to determine their direction for next season. Will they try to continue as the last conference standing, and force the state to build districts around them? Or will they join the rest of 4A and embrace the district concept?

The IAHSAA has told the MVC they need to know by Friday, so we are in the endgame here.

Interesting and, finally, some decisive, concrete information. One article I read said Ottumwa was abut surely to move east with no mention of anyone else. Has me thinking the state is going to shift Ottumwa and that's it...West 24/East 22. Also mentioned they possibly want to keep the five-team districts near each other so they have a "sister" district to pair with when everybody starts district play, which would be Week 5.

As a matter of fact, I don't think a lot is going to change. The MVC schools are intent on saving as many of their rivalries as they can, which I think can happen. I would figure the remaining MAC schools would want the same thing. The difference is going to be that some more schools will have the opportunity to play 3A schools in their direct vicinity.

So with 24 in the West, almost nothing changes, in fact, I think there will be some reshuffling like the state does every two years. With 22 in the East, there's going to be a group of twelve and a group of ten, each split in half essentially. Well, damn, we already have that. MVC will have two districts of six and the remaining MAC and Ottumwa will have two district of five. The MAC districts will be paired together. Each of the schools from the "MAC" districts(excluding Ottumwa) will have at least one non-district game against a team from the "MVC" districts(excluding Cedar Falls, Waterloo East and Waterloo West). Four West vs. East non-district games will be scheduled; Indianola vs. Ottumwa, Fort Dodge vs. Waterloo West, Marshalltown vs. Cedar Falls, Mason City vs. Waterloo East.

WEST
DISTRICT 1...
WDM Valley, DM Lincoln, Urbandale, CB Lincoln, SC North, DM Hoover

DISTRICT 2...
Waukee, Ankeny, SC East, Indianola, DM Roosevelt, CB Lewis Central

DISTRICT 3...
WDM Dowling, Ames, Johnston, DM East, CB Jefferson, SC West

DISTRICT 4...
Ank Centennial, SE Polk, Marshalltown, Fort Dodge, Mason City, DM North

EAST
DISTRICT 5...
Cedar Falls, IC West, CR Prairie, Marion Lin-Mar, Wat East, Dub Senior

DISTRICT 6...
IC High, CR Washington,CR Kennedy, Dub Hempstead, Wat West, CR Jefferson

DISTRICT 7...
Bettendorf, Ottumwa, Dav Central, Burlington, Dav West

DISTRICT 8...
North Scott, Pleasant Valley, Muscatine, Clinton, Dav North
This post was edited on 1/8 12:30 AM by screwloose

Screwloose, why wouldn't Muscatine and Central swap? I know we wouldn't want Bett PV and NS together for balance reasons, but Muscatine is a natural for Burlington.

They certainly could switch. I was just separating the schools using ten year records, and balancing the districts as best I could along with geography. In the scenario I put, Muscatine would probably be the crossover, "sister district" match-up for Burlington.

Screwloose
your scenario leaves open some room for a potential Iowa City North expansion in the East.

I will be interested in how the playoff qualifiers are selected with 6-6 team and 2-5 team districts. If they are mentioning balanced districts, in the articles, I think they are leaning toward 4 qualifiers from each district.

I wonder if there is a Iowa City North and a team in the West goes under the 700 student limit, then would the IHSAA move Ottumwa back to the Western districts?

I think the IHSAA needs to address the 700 student threshold for 4A football when making this major change. There is no way they will have any flexibility in grouping districts in the future with an enrollment cap for 4A football.

5 team districts in the Quad Cities leaves a lot of room to play former MVC teams or nearby 3A teams.

Screwloose,

Comments on your scenario

District #2 in your Projected West looks like a very competitive schedule for their members,

In general the Western team alignments would be "reshuffling" again after two years with a 10 year success history? I don't think it matters to the top schools in those districts, as long as they can schedule their 4 games against the local suburban team in non district play.

I didn't think the former MAC schools would agree to a double 5 district set up, but it looks like it would give them status quo playing some of their former MAC rivals. IMO If they maintain most of their old rivalries in non-district play they will not be more competitive in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

As you mentioned the two former Eastern leagues have the opportunity to split in half as districts. The former MAC teams benefit the most this way...it would be a hard argument by the former MVC teams to restrict the 2- 5 team districts to less then 8 qualifiers if they are trying to maintain two districts with former MVC schools.

Originally posted by tnobd:
District #2 in your Projected West looks like a very competitive schedule for their members,

In general the Western team alignments would be "reshuffling" again after two years with a 10 year success history? I don't think it matters to the top schools in those districts, as long as they can schedule their 4 games against the local suburban team in non district play.

I didn't think the former MAC schools would agree to a double 5 district set up, but it looks like it would give them status quo playing some of their former MAC rivals. IMO If they maintain most of their old rivalries in non-district play they will not be more competitive in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

As you mentioned the two former Eastern leagues have the opportunity to split in half as districts. The former MAC teams benefit the most this way...it would be a hard argument by the former MVC teams to restrict the 2- 5 team districts to less then 8 qualifiers if they are trying to maintain two districts with former MVC schools.
I agree with you on those comments. It seems there's always going to be one western district that's a little bit tougher than the others. Some of that might be the fact they don't want to place Marshalltown and Mason City in the same district as any of those schools from the old MRC. What ends up happening is a slight imbalance if the majority of those MRC schools are subpar and there's a lower level team from the Polk County area in that particular district. Same can happen if both Marshalltown and Mason City are down, like the last two years.

The MVC schools seem more adamant about preserving their rivalries than the MAC schools, this set-up would be more beneficial for them in keeping that. True, the MAC wouldn't gain a lot as far as adding MVC teams to their regular season schedules. Not gaining as much as they would with a true integration mix like they do in the west. But if they do split the MVC and MAC in half, the MAC schools basically benefit from getting more of the schools into the playoffs. This is something the MVC probably doesn't like. Thing is this, there's going to have to be a concession by both for it to function properly. Neither is going to be able to have it both ways.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT