ADVERTISEMENT

***** IN GAME THREAD - Don Bosco vs. Marcus-Meriden-Cleghorn *****

Totally agree on this. It just didn't look like there was a lot of effort going into the being perfect. Waterloo Courier also shows a facemask tackle that was called incidental. The kids head was nearly tore off. Ref standing right there. MMC linebackers were also cutting blocking backs at the hole which is illegal and a safety issue. Never called once. Just way to many things missed to feel ok about job done by the officials.
Where is Joel Oswald from?

Boscofanforlife I agree and disagree with some of your statements. To begin I agree a 100% on that the game should be called by a neutral staff. I find it hard to believe that there weren't other officials that earned the same credentials that weren't from either the Gilbertville area, or the Western side of the state. The entire game was not called terribly, but there were several key moments in the game where they either flagged, or missed flags. In no way am I saying there was a hidden agenda, but hard to explain how or why the game was called to obviously one sided in key moments in the game. I know how hard it is to stomach a loss when you feel like anyone other then the players on the field dictated the outcome.
With that being said there were adjustments on both sides of the ball that would have probably won the game for Don Bosco. Offensively you guys stuck to the run to long, other then the one big run early in the game, MMC did a great job of stopping the run. MMC did very little to stop the pass the entire game, but you guys waited until you were down almost 30 to start airing it out. Defensively you allowed basically 2 players to beat you, Specht and Speiller. Your secondary had no answer for the 6'6'' receiver, and he played very well. I personally would have dropped a db to help cover him, or jammed him on the line of scrimmage.
Congratulations on the great year Don Bosco, your kids showed true grit in that game and it was entertaining to watch. But once again I have to tip my hat to MMC, they were the better team that day and are state champs in result, congratulations.

Did you really just say they should exclude anyone on the western side of the state from reffing? Then just exclude gilbertville from other side. How about Don Bosco just hand picks their refs next year for every game so you guys have nothing to complain about?

Boscofanforlife I agree and disagree with some of your statements. To begin I agree a 100% on that the game should be called by a neutral staff. I find it hard to believe that there weren't other officials that earned the same credentials that weren't from either the Gilbertville area, or the Western side of the state. The entire game was not called terribly, but there were several key moments in the game where they either flagged, or missed flags. In no way am I saying there was a hidden agenda, but hard to explain how or why the game was called to obviously one sided in key moments in the game. I know how hard it is to stomach a loss when you feel like anyone other then the players on the field dictated the outcome.
With that being said there were adjustments on both sides of the ball that would have probably won the game for Don Bosco. Offensively you guys stuck to the run to long, other then the one big run early in the game, MMC did a great job of stopping the run. MMC did very little to stop the pass the entire game, but you guys waited until you were down almost 30 to start airing it out. Defensively you allowed basically 2 players to beat you, Specht and Speiller. Your secondary had no answer for the 6'6'' receiver, and he played very well. I personally would have dropped a db to help cover him, or jammed him on the line of scrimmage.
Congratulations on the great year Don Bosco, your kids showed true grit in that game and it was entertaining to watch. But once again I have to tip my hat to MMC, they were the better team that day and are state champs in result, congratulations.
That's ridiculous. I just think it's pathetic to think you guys turned to saying the refs were biased and maybe related. For one Joel Oswald is from Pomeroy Iowa and Kyle Oswald is from out in Nebraska. Pomeroy is also an 1 hour and 45 minutes from Marcus. Truth is the first time Coach Oswald and Joel Oswald met was more than likely in 2012, the same time the DB coaching staff met him. I know Boscofanforlife has deleted his comments so I hope realized how big of moron he sounded like. Guys the game is 5 days old. Conspiracy theories about the refs isn't gonna change the outcome. MMC is 2015 state champs and nothing is gonna change that. Congrats to the Eagles once again on their incredible season

Reactions: BoscoFan4Life
MMC had 7-65 in penalties. Don Bosco had 10-81. They should have really had 9-66 if there wasn't a coaching penalties.

109 points scored?! Are you kidding me? I know these are good offenses but then you routinely have these kind of video game scores, it's time to reevaluate things. Shortening the width of the field even more would be a good start. Amy other suggestions?
Did you see the 2A score? 70-56!

Reactions: Huskies68
Bosco do you even know how much a typical ref has to watch for on a given play? What areas they are supposed to watch etc? I'll take 8 man crew in state finals over an arm chair coach/ref in the stands who is 50 yards away. Growing up I was always told coach before you complain about coaches and ref before you criticize refs. It's a whole different world and your perspective changes a whole lot. My wise words for you.

Reactions: BoscoFan4Life
Quit while I'm behind what? You're the one who has had to backtrack and call yourself a moron for your comments. I'm just offering what I think is pretty sound advice for any situation. If you were raised with same values where have your values gone? Are the fan that sits up in the stands and bellers at the refs? One thing I've learned with officials after officiating know when to argue. Judgment calls you aren't going to change but rules etc those you can argue and maybe get changed. Food for thought but hope to see you in 8 man title game next year refereeing.

My values are intact. I do let my emotions run at times and it's called passion. Sometimes I do get a bit irrational. I spent several years serving this country as a US Marine with that same passion. If I can carry a rifle and protect and serve this country anytime and anywhere without question, I will certainly stand up and object if I feel the kids in my own community, or any other for that matter, are not getting a fair shake. I've earned that right. It's ok for refs to be challenged and questioned, esp. on rules regarding safety. Just being a ref in the championship game does not automatically mean you are good at what you do. The good ol boy system in Boone is well known. Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Just shut up already. You are making an entire community look like we are whining because we got screwed out of a win by the refs. MMC beat us fair and square, 700some people from Gilbertville accept that, but a different opinion of 1 or 2 people are shining a negative light on the 700.

My comments were strictly my feelings and my frustration alone, I was not attempting to represent hundreds of fans and a community. Johnbeerpong is right, with my screen name being BoscoFan, I need to just shut up. It was never my intent to cast any kink of negative light on Gilbertville. Just venting some frustration with a situation. I apologize to all.

BoscoFan I won't even comment on you, however, I do wish to address the idea that "MMC couldn't do anything to stop DB's passing game" or basically the idea that if Bosco would have started passing earlier they would have won... With about 8 or 9 minutes left in the game MMC went into their "Prevent defense" particularly with their safetys. This allowed DB to pass underneath the rest of the game and go right down the field through the air consistently. DB had a good passing attack, no doubt about that. However, if MMC would have just played straight up defense I believe that DB wouldn't have had quite the late game passing success that they did.

BoscoFan I won't even comment on you, however, I do wish to address the idea that "MMC couldn't do anything to stop DB's passing game" or basically the idea that if Bosco would have started passing earlier they would have won... With about 8 or 9 minutes left in the game MMC went into their "Prevent defense" particularly with their safetys. This allowed DB to pass underneath the rest of the game and go right down the field through the air consistently. DB had a good passing attack, no doubt about that. However, if MMC would have just played straight up defense I believe that DB wouldn't have had quite the late game passing success that they did.
Untrue.

Well, notlongago, looking at first and second half passing statistics I would have to say it is true. But I'd like to hear why you don't agree.

Isn't it time to move on from this? The game is a week old. Bosco had their shot at MMC regardless of what they could or couldn't do and lost fair and square. Whether it be poor officiating or poor play calling..it's part of the game. Let's all get over this and give credit where it's due with MMC on winning the state championship.

Isn't it time to move on from this? The game is a week old. Bosco had their shot at MMC regardless of what they could or couldn't do and lost fair and square. Whether it be poor officiating or poor play calling..it's part of the game. Let's all get over this and give credit where it's due with MMC on winning the state championship.
Amen to that, Brother.

Well, notlongago, looking at first and second half passing statistics I would have to say it is true. But I'd like to hear why you don't agree.
What passing statistics are you referring to? Bosco coaches left Bagby on the sideline for the most part from early in the first quarter until midway through the third except in predictable passing plays while he paced the sideline like a caged fighting dog. Then when there was little hope left they throw him to the wolves (like the quarters last year) and he still dropped dimes all over that field and almost pulled off the miracle. Funny you say they had success because they were in prevent.....isn't prevent designed not to give up 38 points in a quarter and a half??? And I seem to remember one of the TDs going up top and scorching the 6.5 ft #2. Bottom line is I guarantee MMC is thankful for the predictable offensive play calling by DB. I do believe all 52 points were scored when Bagby was taking snaps and yet he barely played half of the game

Last edited:
What passing statistics are you referring to? Bosco coaches left Bagby on the sideline for the most part from early in the first quarter until midway through the third except in predictable passing plays while he paced the sideline like a caged fighting dog. Then when there was little hope left they throw him to the wolves (like the quarters last year) and he still dropped dimes all over that field and almost pulled off the miracle. Funny you say they had success because they were in prevent.....isn't prevent designed not to give up 38 points in a quarter and a half??? And I seem to remember one of the TDs going up top and scorching the 6.5 ft #2. Bottom line is I guarantee MMC is thankful for the predictable offensive play calling by DB. I do believe all 52 points were scored when Bagby was taking snaps and yet he barely played half of the game
Like a caged fighting dog? haha he was probably more scared than anything. MMC was getting to him mostly all game and laid some big licks on him a few times to cause a fumble. ill give him credit he did play well down the stretch when his line gave him time to search down field.

Quick n simple advice for ya bc I don't have time to argue with high school kids. Run more film and less mouth

Like a caged fighting dog? haha he was probably more scared than anything. MMC was getting to him mostly all game and laid some big licks on him a few times to cause a fumble. ill give him credit he did play well down the stretch when his line gave him time to search down field.
I know bagby personally, he was not scared one bit. Snippy is right by calling him a caged dog, most intense kid I've ever met when it comes to sports.

not a coach buddy. could care less about watching film.
Lol.....you don't take advice too well or maybe I didn't spell it out well enough for you buddy. I didn't literally mean just watch film. You should know what your talking about if you're going to voice your opinion because certainly nobody is going to confuse you with being a coach or any kind of reputable stand up citizen when you take cowardly cheap shots hidden behind disguised social media. My comments were not intended to degrade MMC in any fashion. There was a lot of talent and resilience shown by them in that game. It wasn't going their way early and nearly went down 3 scores but they rallied big like a well battle tested team. I was simply asking for what zay_go_rams statistics he was referring to? Completion %? Passing yds? # of passing plays? Or how about the number of predictable passing plays. I don't think you see too many teams be predictable and have success at high levels such as deep into the playoffs. I could understand that DB had a lot of confidence in their defense coming in and may have figured in to the offensive play calls early but at that stage you should know your opponent pretty well and I can't imagine they figured on shutting MMC down. It was evident they weren't just a one dimensional team. I know the tv announcers made it sound like their pass game had previously been shakey but with a 6.5ft. receiver that can, and did, make poor passes look good and add that to the strong running ability of the MMC qb and a solid line......I'd figure you outta know your gonna need to put up points and being predictable against a good defense only shooting yourself in the foot. So why do it when your team has proven throughout the year it has a strong passing/balanced game to rely on when the predictable running isn't working. Everybodys version of bread n butter is different I guess. Hope I was able to clear a few things up for you buddy

My comments were strictly my feelings and my frustration alone, I was not attempting to represent hundreds of fans and a community. Johnbeerpong is right, with my screen name being BoscoFan, I need to just shut up. It was never my intent to cast any kink of negative light on Gilbertville. Just venting some frustration with a situation. I apologize to all.

Just got my DVD from the MMC vs don bosco game. The issue of The illegal forward pass MMC allegedly got away with is over. I clearly saw the line of scrimmage was the 27 and Specht legally shoveled the ball on the 25 1/2 yard line. Sorry boscofan4life, film doesn't lie

Just got my DVD from the MMC vs don bosco game. The issue of The illegal forward pass MMC allegedly got away with is over. I clearly saw the line of scrimmage was the 27 and Specht legally shoveled the ball on the 25 1/2 yard line. Sorry boscofan4life, film doesn't lie
Men lie, women lie. Numbers and film don't! :D

Any thoughts of bringing instant replay or play challenges into the game? They have all sorts of cameras. So lets put them to work maybe? Give the coaches a red flag and let them use it!! This game needs an evolution. With instant replay we wouldn't have any of these aurgements. At the very least have the option in the UNI Dome for challenging plays.

Any thoughts of bringing instant replay or play challenges into the game? They have all sorts of cameras. So lets put them to work maybe? Give the coaches a red flag and let them use it!! This game needs an evolution. With instant replay we wouldn't have any of these aurgements. At the very least have the option in the UNI Dome for challenging plays.

no

Reactions: roosterk
Thank you to whoever said it was legal forward pass. I was the one who said it was legal and boscofan jumped down my throat. Anyway you can show us the film so he can really eat crow?

Thank you to whoever said it was legal forward pass. I was the one who said it was legal and boscofan jumped down my throat. Anyway you can show us the film so he can really eat crow?
Hawkeye if I was wrong about that call then I was wrong and I'll admit it. I haven't seen film other than watching a replay on TV and thought I saw what I saw. If I missed it, and I agree film doesn't lie, then I missed it, and I am sorry for my rant.

I apologize to you and everyone else for challenging that call. There were a couple of other calls that the broadcasters questioned ( holding and pass interference ) that got me a bit amped up over the deal. It's over. Bosco lost to the better team that day. My point was never to diminish what MMC had earned. They're the Champs.

My point was after years of watching 8 man, I did not feel it was one of the better crews I've watched officiate. I felt the ref on Bosco's sideline in particular was seldom in good position to even be able to do his job, and didn't really hustle anywhere to even try to get in position. I realize he may have somehow earned the right to be there, but so did the kids, and they deserve someone who will work to be in position to call a good game. That's just my opinion and I'm sure I'll be blasted again for having an opinion.

I've had some great spirited debate and banter on this board, but on this one, I let my emotions race and I put stuff out there that had no place on a public forum. I apologize for that and most likely will stay off the boards to be sure I don't make the same mistake again.

Crows not bad if par boiled long enough and the barbeque sauce is strong and plentiful.

Reactions: JeffyScoresALLDAY
It's time to transform this game. The high school game NEEDS to be more like the college and pro game. It's time to start challenging plays. This will make the game fair for both sides. With this we will be able to make the game the way it is suppose to be. Time for change. Time for fairness and time for equality.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT