ADVERTISEMENT

***** IN GAME THREAD - Don Bosco vs. Marcus-Meriden-Cleghorn *****

I have been wrong about a few things yes. Still a lot of game to be played. MMC is def playing better than what I saw and heard of them. They are def earning it. Spieler is a different Cat today. Maybe him following our twitter account got him motivated, haha. Putting up some numbers for sure. DB's pass defense was ripe for the picking we just couldn't/didn't take advantage. 18-41 147 Yds 3 TD's. Lot's of missed opportunities.

Not looking fwd to the WEST is the BEST stuff but I guess the east didn;t do anything to shut that up haha so here we go, IF the Dons don't turn this 3 TD deficit around. 12mins is not a lot of time.
I didn't think DB's pass defense was all that great when we played them. Not like we were in the game at all but our best receiver was out running their dbacks and made one good TD catch. I was wondering how Erhardt would do against them, sounded like a good game up until half!

But as you said, I hope no one claims the West is the best lol but this is the only west team DB played. We all know NF was without key players and their luck was to run out at some point. I think many people overlooked MMC from DB's point of view. That was definitely a game changer when Specht made that play, also when that one TD was called back due to the flag.

I will be the first to say it, Game Over. I don't think I am the only one who thought about this but this is like the Norway baseball program. Win a title in the last year of the team or school. Pretty cool story. Somebody should make a movie/book and make millions haha.

Reactions: pmknicks
Backes played about 3 plays against DB. He hurt his ankle against HLV on the 2nd series and didn't play in that game after that. We had about 6 vertical passes be 1 or 2 yds off and didn't complete them. We got beat by a better team but those passes would have made the score at least more interesting. Like 80-50+ and about 150-200 more yards but the reslut would have been the same.

That was the difference today, the physical nature of DB didn't show up and MMC isn' anymore physical than NF so I am curious why they didn't bring it today.

Just scored again but need some onside kick recoveries to make this interesting at all.

Spieler showed up today. So did Specht and the supporting cast did their job. This isn't about making things up, it is about what I had seen in the semi finals. Period. I have no weird agenda. MMC was the much better team today. DB didn't have the answers for whatever reason. You gotta remember I am not from DB, we just got beat by DB that is all.

Just don't understand why you guys get so aggressive, its almost comical. Unless you actually play on the team, you shouldn't get so defensive. It is kind of weird.

Congratulations MMC and Specht/Spieler for setting some new standards in the passing game for Championship games. Maybe we can get a chance to break some of those next year.

Reactions: Engine5Driver
Sounds like barring any big swings in the score it is going to end really close to my prediction. BD is a good team in the fact that they have depth. Other than that I am not impressed. NF I believe would have taken them much the same way as MMC if they had all their team and didn't have to run the same guy over and over with a line that was not what they are capable of.

Great story for MMC being their last year as an 8 man team. They are the real deal. Congrats to those boys and all their hard work. They deserve it. Not to discredit the boys on DB, I am sure they put in the time too and it is a heartbreaker to loose. Especially for their seniors. Gotta feel bad for any team that gets to the dome and it ends in defeat.

By the way...... I noticed Jeffy hasn't had a lot to say today? Maybe he is still out celebrating last weeks game? I say hold on to that moment Jeffy, cuz it looks like today isn't your day.

Specht and Speiler have played really well, but credit is definitely due to their lineman. They have been playing extremely well. Havent seen Smith in the backfield as much as I did against NF.

109 points scored?! Are you kidding me? I know these are good offenses but then you routinely have these kind of video game scores, it's time to reevaluate things. Shortening the width of the field even more would be a good start. Amy other suggestions?

Jeffy.....
im-still-waiting-vozzm6.jpg

Reactions: JeffyScoresALLDAY
109 points scored?! Are you kidding me? I know these are good offenses but then you routinely have these kind of video game scores, it's time to reevaluate things. Shortening the width of the field even more would be a good start. Amy other suggestions?
Look at some of the big 12 conference scores. Do you think they should reevaluate some things also?

Tip of the cap to both teams for a couple of tough, gritty performances. Don Bosco could've folded and this game could've been a 50-60 point victory for MMC.

This your first 8-man game, sir? These high scores are common all throughout the season.

Reactions: rockchalk2
I do think the best is in the west. If you look at MMCs schedule they have had 3 games that came down to a possession or 2. DB hasn't played that type of competition all year.

The semi final scores were not like this so why change anything. Some 11 man scores are crazy high too. No changes needed.

Great game by MMC. Not one to blame refs but if anyone unbiased would like to weigh in here be my guest.

Watching Smith all game he was double and handled decently, but seemed like he was held at least once a drive. No game altering penalties were called on MMC all game, while DB had 3/4 CRUCIAL penalties.

#1 was a holding call on Smith which was clearly a ghost call. Replay showed a very textbook block and the guy went to the ground. This pinned DB deep at their 7 I believe.

#2 No call on a clear PI by MMC on Rigdon deep when DB was gaining momentum back with more than enough time to swing things. Dons ended up punting a play later I believe when they would've otherwise had the ball on MMC's 15.

There was another ghost call and a few other botched calls that were blatant that I can't recall at the moment, but either way, not blaming refs here!

Other than that, Bosco could not match up with Spieler and he truly was the sole game changer for MMC. 2 or 3 of his catches, Dons were in great position and his height was just too much for the 5'7"-5'10" DB secondary players. A few bounces or 1 underthrown Spect bomb could have been the difference. Great game by MMC, well deserved.

Disregard what this guy just said^^^^^^^^^ it doesn't represent how the town of Gilbertville feels about this game. No excuses MMC deserved to win. God I hate people that whine that the refs cost us. Even if your are from my hometown.

Reactions: JAD-Cat
I'm unbiased. I don't think Smith was held as much as you think he was either. He was handled very well this game. Specht took very well care of the ball unlike he did in the semi's. That was a key reason to me as why they won. Speiler did well, obviously, and I don't think DB was expecting MMC to be that good, since they really haven't faced a good team, MMC has had some very good games throughout the season, dating back to week 2 against GTRA, also WBM played them really tough twice! Both games within one score.

using officiating as an excuse why your team lost is just sour grapes. I can almost guarantee that there are calls missed both ways. It's just part of the game. Officials don't care who wins the game they are mainly concerned about their own performance.

Reactions: rockchalk2
I'm unbiased. I don't think Smith was held as much as you think he was either. He was handled very well this game. Specht took very well care of the ball unlike he did in the semi's. That was a key reason to me as why they won. Speiler did well, obviously, and I don't think DB was expecting MMC to be that good, since they really haven't faced a good team, MMC has had some very good games throughout the season, dating back to week 2 against GTRA, also WBM played them really tough twice! Both games within one score.
Week 3 against GTRA

Disregard what this guy just said^^^^^^^^^ it doesn't represent how the town of Gilbertville feels about this game. No excuses MMC deserved to win. God I hate people that whine that the refs cost us. Even if your are from my hometown.

You guys got my comment all kinds of mixed up! I said I'm not blaming refs for the loss! MMC clearly earned the game. DB wasn't nearly as physical as usual and couldn't match up to Spieler. Just stating what I saw! Penalties were in fact pretty one sided at crucial points in the game, that's a fact, not a crutch. Congrats to MMC and I believe DB will be back strong next year returning the Bagby/Rigdon duo we all got to witness today! On to 2016, hope everyone has a good offseason.

So if you're not blaming the refs why did you feel the need to point out what you feel they missed to start your whole statement.

You guys got my comment all kinds of mixed up! I said I'm not blaming refs for the loss! MMC clearly earned the game. DB wasn't nearly as physical as usual and couldn't match up to Spieler. Just stating what I saw! Penalties were in fact pretty one sided at crucial points in the game, that's a fact, not a crutch. Congrats to MMC and I believe DB will be back strong next year returning the Bagby/Rigdon duo we all got to witness today! On to 2016, hope everyone has a good offseason.

Whether it did or didn't happen, nobody is gonna want to hear it. Your best bet is to not mention anything about the officials after a loss.

Whether it did or didn't happen, nobody is gonna want to hear it. Your best bet is to not mention anything about the officials after a loss.
I get that, but I'm not out to please all either. See ya in the stands this wrestling season "John." ;)

Any idea if Holmes and Oswald will remain on the coaching staff for MMC next season with the consolidation with Remsen Union?

Great game today. Hindsight being 20/20, DB stuck to their original game plan for about half a quarter too long. MMC had no answer for the passing game (except a passing game of their own).

Objectively it looks like bosco had a deeper/more complete team, but MMC had better play makers, which won out today.

Have to start by saying what a great game played by both teams. Gotta tip my hat to MMC, most of their kids played both ways at a high level, the majority of the game. Speiller and Spect showed up and made huge plays when their team needed it most, and were the difference makers in the end.
I definitely feel like the state did a good job this year, and had the two best teams in the finals for the championship game. I believe is these two teams play a best of five series, it probably comes down to game 5. There are several things that could have went Bosco's way that would of changed this game. Don't take this as making excuses because I didn't have a dog in this fight, I am simply calling it like I see it. This officiating was definitely one sided early in this game which benefited MMC in big moments. I thought it was bad sitting their watching the game, and thought it was worse watching it on television later that day.
Bosco also could have done things different to give themselves a better chance to win this game. I was shocked they didn't do much to slow down Speiller. They did slide Bruess over to try to cover him, but it wasn't enough. Speiller looked to have at least 5+ inches on every kid on Bosco's secondary. I have to believe their coaching staff is kicking themselves for not pressuring him on the line of scrimmage. Its really simple football, you slow the receiver by jamming him on the line of scrimmage. It does 2 things, gives the defender a better chance to run with the receiver, and gives your defensive line more time to pressure the QB.
Another adjustment Bosco failed to make was not going to the pass earlier in the game. Bosco came out early and ran it well. But MMC made some adjustments, and pretty much shut down Bosco's run ability for the rest of the game. Had Bosco went to the pass to finish the first half, and start the second half, they could have put up even more points. MMC had no answer for Bosco's passing game.It would have worn down MMC by having to chase receivers down field, and possibly opened the run game back up.
Again congratulations to MMC, your kids showed true grit yesterday, and earned the 8man state championship.

Having re watched this game a couple of times now there were several things Bosco players could have done better to help themselves. But the ref job was horrific. There was a very obvious forward lateral not called which drew the sideline violation from Bosco's bench. Several clear facemask tackles by MMC that were not called. Smith and Frost nearly pulled to the ground a few times to keep them from getting to Spect. Refs made a good effort to try to even up the calls on MMC in non critical situations.

It's in the books now and that's that. In the future I hope Todd Tharp will think about using a head referee who was born and raised in the back yard of one of the participating teams. Head ref JOEL OSWALD may even be related to MMC coach KYLE OSWALD, who knows. It was clear to anyone without bias ( including the broadcast crew ) who watched this game there was an agenda, and yes in a tight game it makes a difference.

I hope in the future more effort is taken to get ref crews who are not born and raised in the same area, and quite possibly related, to officiate championship games. It shouldn't happen that way. Asking for a championship game to be called fair and balanced seems like a simple request.
Wow, every game is going to have their fair share of questionable calls. Im sure there were calls that should have gone MMC's way too, but hey thats football and i can guarantee you that if Coach Oswald had any affiliation with the refs they would have not been at the state championship game reffing. That is just idiotic to think that Coach Oswald had any influence on the refs during that game. Take the loss like man and move on instead of blaming part of the DB loss on the refs and saying the MMC coaches had an advantage on which way the calls were going. My gosh

Hmmmm I'm pretty sure I remember your talking about. They replayed it on the online version what I was watching cause I myself thought he was intially passed. The replay however I thought clearly showed he wasn't past and it was a great play by Specht?

PS Joel Oswald is the assistant director of the girls union. You think he had an agenda against Don Bosco? They make institutions for people like that.

Here's the deal...even if a replay on the big screen showed a bad/missed call, it doesn't mean the officials can change it. This isn't college where it can be reviewed. Officials aren't perfect, no matter how hard they try.

So an official who earns the highest honor of being able to officiate a state title game should release himself of duties because his town he grew up in 35 years ago is an hour away from a team playing in finals?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT