ADVERTISEMENT

Dual #2 in 3A vs #1 in 2a

I know.
I read all the articles on how unbeatable Dogs were and expected to see that in head to head matches. I didn't...Assumption showed me and everyone else that maybe these tourneys are not a clear indication of power in Iowa wrestling.
Now, tonight might be a rout the other way but the bell cannot be unrang. Assumption still will have competed with Cheesehead Runner Ups.

My comment on the schedule was in response to some gripes about Assumption having not been challenged.
Not every school dedicates the money that Bett does to attend these out of town tourneys. Assumption does choose to stay close to home, I would bet funding has alot to do with that, but they manage just fine going against other good Iowa teams and their athletes will be as prepared as Dogs are.
I don't know Bud, but I know Coach Knight well and will always respect what he does.

To imply that Bettendorf has the ability to attend these tourneys because of better funding is a joke. Bettendorf stayed one night (discounted rates and 4 to a room) for each of the national tournaments it attended. Coaches drove school vans and drove home at 10:00 PM after the meet. The only cost above attending the Battle of Waterloo was the gas difference between Waterloo and Appleton. The food was on the kids. It wouldn't cost Assumption any more money to go to the Keith Young or Ed Winger than it does to go to Benton Community Tourney (other than maybe a difference in entry cost).

I was talking about the out of state events that require hotels and the like. Even 4 to a room; 20-25 kids and 3-4 coaches...$1500?? its more than Assumption can afford.
Assumption has wrestled every weekend this year, so they are getting tough matches in, just closer to home.

I wish Pete would have them compete in the bigger tournaments. That truly is the only way to tell how well they would against better or bigger schools. I don't see assumption winning more matches than they did at the MAC. Tonight will be a better gauge than the MAC. I will say carton would perform very well in those tournaments. He is the real deal. If Woodard is out that will be a little disappointing. 106, 120 will be interesting matches. I predict they split guess well discuss in 4 hours.

He beat Logan 13-2 or 12-2 last Saturday, Then lost tonight? I hear it was Connor that beat him tonight.. If not 11 points is a huge gain in a week.

no shocker - it was Logan Ryan who beat him. Pretty ugly match - Logan wrestled very defensively or stalled - however you want to say it - most of the match. He did have a nice double leg takedown however towards the end of the second. Bottom line is he got the win. Topher looked gassed during the third period - first time I have ever seen that.
As for my earlier post - I was correct. The end.

It was a nice atmosphere - almost a packed house - lots of noise. They started with 120 and after seven matches Assumption was up in team score -then Bett won the last seven matches to win 47-21. Bett is very good - we'll see how they fare at State. I think Assumption will bounce back and they will do very well at State.

THe out of state events were one nite in a hotel @ about $70 per nite. 4 rooms for wrestlers hardly adds up to $1,500. The hotel cost and travel is about the same as the Waterloo duals.

nice win for Dogs. Obviously, Carton losing was a huge blow to Knights chances. Kudos to Logan!
coach knight swapped his lineup and at first I thought it was a bad move as Parks pinned Chase. but when grothus laid an egg against Jurevitz and Adrian slept through his match against cavenaugh it was over.
one big question is why a team with 40 plus wrestlers would ever forfeit a match. why not give a JV guy a shot?
good luck to both teams at state! represent QC area and bring home two golds!
Parks, Georgean, Shaw and Stroker looked very good.

Logan Ryan looked good. Hardly stalled when you get more takedowns in a match. A video will be posted soon. Carton is a true champion. Took defeat like a man and has many fans for his remaining career on how he conducts himself.

Stroker, Georgean and Shaw wrestled guys that they simply should have outclassed. Parks looked impressive as did Jurevitz.

10-4 in overall matches, better showing for the dogs! Hopefully both teams can workout with each other to help bring some medals home for the QC.

not sure what match you watched Hawkeye - 3 takedowns??? his 8 points came via 3 escapes (all given to him), locked hands, a nice double leg ( his only offensive move of the match) and a takedown in the last seconds after a last ditch takedown effort by Topher.
And Timmy, get the video posted please -- let people make up their own minds. Like my post said - it was either good defensive wrestling or stalling...just depends who you are a fan of I guess!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylVb6JY7ydE&feature=share
www.youtube.com

Here is the link posted by Watch This Video. I agree that Topher was the agressor and that's his style. Ryan wrestled tough, smart and might have had a better gas tank that made the difference in the match. Both kids are very talented. Best of luck at State to Assumption and Bettendorf kids.

From a neutral fan...

1st

Carton TD 2-0
Ryan Escape 2-1
Carton TD 4-1
Locked hands 4-2
Ryan escape 4-3
Ryan TD 4-5

2nd

Carton escape 5-5

3rd

Ryan escape 5-6
Ryan warned
Ryan TD at end 5-8

Great match, locked hands hurt Carton and the fact Ryan rode him out to end 1st. One questionable stalemate when both wrestlers were still moving. Stall warning on Ryan was legit he was fending off but it did get him more aggressive and he got a TD at the end on a spin around.

I'm like Devil - I don't understand how or why Bett would forfeit a match when accoding to the event program they have other wrestlers at that weight. If nothing else, give a younger kid some valuable experience wrestling in a big dual match. In the end it didn't matter - just kind of sad that other kids are out there working hard and none of them were given an opportunity.

I thought the same thing at 126, you have 4 kids listed on the JV roster at the weight and not one of them gets a chance to wrestle varsity at a big meet? I would be a little miffed if I was one of those kids.

It would be nice to see those 45 kids at Bett that never see a varsity mat to transfer to Dav Cent and North and fill some roster spots. Wishful thinking huh... :)

Anyone who questions why kids transfer and want to wrestle for Dan Knight and Bettendorf, simply look at the meet last night compared to MAC. Bett had lost 8 matches to Assumption on Saturday at MAC, and they come back Thursday and only lose 4. Logan Ryan turns an 11 point defeat into a 3 point win, a 14 point difference in 5 days. Clearly the coaching made a huge difference last night.

Someone was given a chance and he failed to really make an effort to make weight. Bett prob should have bumped Stroker and Swarm to fill the void and insert Glynn at 113.

Great Match but Bettendorf is very deep, the only question left for Bettendorf is --will this be the year to win it all? IC west and SEP are very good? Congrads to Knight you have improved your team each year and that is a sign of a good coach!

bubsdad - hear the explanation, but a team with all of those wrestlers should never have to forfeit an individual match unless sudden injury or something freaky happened just before the match.

I have watched Bush and Knight coach, my money would be on Bush...he does more with less. I would put Krieter from NS right up there also, class act. I don't know how a Bett kid can even concentrate when he has multiple coaches yelling at them during a match? Listen to the Assumption bench some time, one clear voice only coaching and it is Bush.

I think Assumption will surprise at state and win 2A again. Bett should win 3A, this is Knight's best chance. Let's see how they handle making weight 4 straight days again at state, IMO that was their downfall last year, too many kids with no energy and thus underacheiving.

Hopefully NS and PV can wrestle well and have a couple more MAC teams in the top 10. Should be a great next month.... GO MAC..!!

HawkDenny - agree with you when talking about Coach Bush. Don't get me wrong, Coach Knight is a good coach who has built a great program. I just look at the number of State titles won as a huge measuring stick when talking about great coaching.

Lets not get into comparing staffs or who is a better coach. I think the QC is lucky to have the quality of coaches that we do have. I would have no problem having my kid wrestle for Knight or Bush.

Bett doesn't have many guys cutting mcuh weight at all so should be fine in that dept.

Agree, both staffs are solid and teach great fundamentals.
With all the experience both teams have at state, we should all be blessed with many tournament wins!
Coach Bush certainly has a bright future. Only 4 seniors graduate and up comes a very talented freshman class. Knights did very well in JV matches last night.

I agree, they are all great coaches, it was just my personal observation, and I will be rooting for the MAC at state.

The JV matches for Assumption featured a number of upper classmen where most of the Bett JV were Frosh or Sophs.

Didn't intend for my comment to start a bush vs. knight debate, both of those coaches are great. Just wanted to acknowledge that Knight did a phenomenal job in getting his wrestlers ready and avenging earlier losses

HawkeyeDenny, Bush, Knight and Krieter are all great coaches. I would want my son to wrestle for any of them. With that being said, you have always shown your dislike for Coach Knight and that's fine. Can you elaborate on how Bush does more with less? Both teams get their fair share of transfers. Head to Head has Knight ever lost to Assumption?.... And you can't compare the state tournament, they wrestle in different classes......I usually agree with what you have to say

After watching the video. Yes Carton was the one pushing the match, Yes Ryan Stalled out the 2nd and 3rd period. Crap shot by Carton at the end gave Ryan an easy spin around. Agree only offensive move Ryan did was End of the 1st period, Very nice shot. Carton may have gassed chasing Ryan around the mat the 2nd and 3rd period.
The ref also... What a joke. Carton in on a shot the last min of the third working an angle and the ref calls stalemate...
Should have went into OT because the ref should know how to REF a match. Call a locked hands but not stalling until the last min of the third? WHAT A JOKE. Then Carton did a desperation shot and it failed.
The match was left in the Refs hands and Carton allowed that to happen.
Congrats to Ryan on a Huge win, did what he needed to win and it worked out.

Bantam Roster - what do you mean you can't compare State titles? Yes, I realize they are different classes, but are you telling me that if(hypothetically speaking) wrestler #1 beat wrestler #2 head to head but wrestler #2 wins a state title and wrestler #1 gets to State but doesn't place higher than say fifth or sixth - #1 is better than wrestler #2 because he won head to head? As I said earlier and I'll reiterate that a State title is a State title and a major measuring stick as to how good someone is - regardless of what class.

No, I think he ducked me :)

AHS JV had 1 senior and 1 junior, the rest of the 9 were freshman and sophs.

o2bahawk, If #1 wrestlers #2 four times, beats him three, but loses in the state finals, who is better? The state champ isn't always the best wrestler. He is often times the best wrestler that weekend. A state title is a great "measuring stick" if they're against the same competition or in the same class. I would say an undefeated record against an across town rival is another great "measuring stick".

Bantam - hear ya and you are right, it does boil down to that weekend same as your measuring stick - a coach or wrestler beating someone on that particular day (dual meet) during the season. I just believe that you think winning a state title in a lower class is not as impressive as winning it in a larger class - I could be misunderstanding you - if so, sorry. Let me just say that both coaches are quality coaches and I think neither school would want anyone else running their respective programs right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT