ADVERTISEMENT

Dual #2 in 3A vs #1 in 2a

Feb 6, 2004
On Thursday we will have a glimpse of the difference in strength between the two classes as the #1 ranked 2A Davenport Assumption will host the #2 ranked 3A Bettendorf. Any predictions? Will Assumption get 20 points?

Assumption will be lucky to get 15 points and 20 is out of the question.
Carton at 132 and Georgian at 160 are Assumption's favored weights and I expect max points for AHS in both. Slight edge to AHS at HWT as Bett has not found their guy there yet.

Devries at 120 versus Swarm and Springer versus Woodard at 126 will be the other close matches that AHS MAY have a chance in but the rest are heavily tilted towards the Dogs.

Expect Bett pins from Schwarm-106; Stroker-113; Hernandez-145; Levsen -182; Jurevitz -195 and Shaw at 220

Woodard just lost to Eric Devos 1-0 this past weekend. I don't think Springer has seen the quality of wrestler like this. I like Woodards chances in this match.

Carton will have his hands full with Logan Ryab, so I dont' see AHS with a pin there.

AHS has improved their line up with Georgean now at 152 and having Tony Parks in at 160.

I thought the difference in strength was proven last year when Bett double up Ass high in the dual and then dominated them in the MAC conference meet? Ass high went on to win both individual and dual state in 2A, while Bett went on to get 3rd at individual state and 2nd at dual state in 3A. Comparing the top teams in 3A with the top teams in 2A right now is almost like comparing varsity to JV. Expect the results in the meetings between Bett and Ass this year to be the same as last year. While we are at it expext more of the same next year also.

Comparing varsity to JV huh? Thats a bold statement. Assumption would be #4 in 3A in front of Prairie, IMO. Assumption wrestlers are very good. I think Bettendorf will win, but just because the top 3A wrestlers are better than the top 2A wrestlers does not mean the top 2A wrestlers would be JV 3A wrestlers. Tryin to fire up the Assumption wrestlers?

Assumption is always a quality program. They are well coached with good wrestlers. Their youth program is also outstanding. This said I do beleive that Assumption lost more to graduation than did Bettendorf, especially in the upper weights. It was probably a poor choice of words to compare 3A and 2A as varsity and JV. I look forward to the meet this week.

There absolutly are 2A wrestlers that would excel in 3A, Assumption has some on their team, but my comment was not about individuals it was about teams. There is a reason why the state splits the teams up into 1A, 2A & 3A and that reason is because the smaller schools as a whole can't compete with the bigger schools. All you have to do is look at last year. Assumption won the 2A individual state tourney and would not have been top 3 and possibly not top 4 in 3A. Assumption can and does beat the mid level and weaker 3A schools but as a general rule the top 3A teams will beat the top 2A schools, and the average 3A schools will beat the average 2A schools. Again, that is why they are split up. The simple fact that 3A schools have much larger student body to draw from will always heavily favor them. Bettendorf has over 1,000 students and Assumption has 300. The simple fact that Bettendorf has over 3 times the amount of students to draw from gives them a huge advantage to start with.

Husker,
Bett has a better wrestling team than Assumption. However, Assumption would certainly battle to top five finish in 4A tournaments.
I would also put Denver Tripoli and West delaware in a catagory that could compete with 4A teams on a regular basis.

Bett, SE Polk and Waverly SR are just three very strong teams.
Don't degrade a whole class because these three are powerful.

Bett is stacked pretty well top to bottom - as said by previous poster, when your student population is three times the size you naturally have more to choose from. I am not sure this meet will be that close, but that doesn't mean Assumption is not a good team. Not to discount regular season, but what really matters is how these teams finish at the end of the year in their respective classes.

BK,
My intention is not to degrade a class. There are some very good teams in all classes but the simple fact remains that they are divided into classes in every state in the country for a reason. That reason is that the numerical advantages that the larger classes have matter. If this was not the case then we would have only one state champion team in each individual and in dual state.

If I remember correctly, for many years, the top ranked team in the state was in 1A. Is that not true?

Originally posted by kruck5:
If I remember correctly, for many years, the top ranked team in the state was in 1A. Is that not true?
How far back are we talking? when don bosco was extremely tough in recent years they were still behind Creston and Ballard in 2A and ICW and WSR in 3A. Before that E'burg in 2A and Lewis Central and ICH in 3A would have beaten the 1A teams. The bigger schools usually have better teams.

If I'm not mistaken in 2009 the best two 'teams' were Ballard followed by Don Bosco. They both set the record for most points scored at state w/in minutes of each other. I'm in my mid 30's and that Ballard team is the best HS wrestling team I've ever seen.

Yes we all know the dogs are all world this year, and I'm glad to see them hit the road to seek out the 'team' competition they need to push them. It's great for those kids, the school, IA wrestling, etc.

But not so fast on the 2a bashin'. For the longest time 2a had the best wrestling for my money. There were MORE teams in 2a that had full line ups of quality wrestler's, etc. Keep waiving that black/gold flag, and enjoy it while it's here. You guys are awesome, just remember it's only bett 3rd state title.

Redbird - I wouldn't crown Bett with State title just yet - there are three very good teams in 3A this year. I think anyone of those teams could walk hom with the title - just depends on who peaks at the right time.

Redbird, remember that setting a record in 1A or 2A does not constitute having a better team than a 3A squad. Assumption may well win two more 2A titles this year but they got smoked by Bett last year and probably will again this year. They would have had no trophies had they been 3A last year. Let alone two firsts. It is hard for some to accept that there are classes for a reason and not just to split up the wrestlers.

The best team you have ever seen? You must not have been around during 2008 to see the WSR team.
25-2 won state duals. Only two losses were to Apple valley. 5 teams didn't even score a team point against them that year.
Ranked 5th in the nation? Or 6th highest I have ever seen an Iowa team ranked.
Scored the points record at state tournament with 225 points. State Champs.
103-Rinken 4th place
112-Caldwell 4th place
119-Ballweg 1st place
125-Kittleson 3rd place
130-Campbell 4th place
135-Ballweg 1st place
140-Nolte 1match away from placing
145-Denner did not make it. Think the two that did from the district got 2nd and 4th at state.
152-Cox 3rd place
160-Kahler 4th place
171-Averhof 3rd place
189-Wrage 1st place
215-Krumwede 6th place
285-Thompson 1st place
Ballard in 2A scoring 220 points was great but national competition wise I still think wsr 2008 team won't be topped for a long long time.

Agree with Shocker that WSR team of 2008 would be hard to top. I will get back on topic. I think Assumption does score slighlty over 20 pts. They will not win the dual but will be battled ready to compete when the whislte blows.

No your intention was to degrade a class just say it. If you were to list the top ten in the state, I'll I'm saying is there will be 2a and 1a schools in there too. Just depends on the year.

Yes that was a great WSR team.

Lets break this dual down first shall we.
Start with rankings and end with the toss ups.
106-2 Jacob Schwarm (Fr) Bettendorf vs ??? Fall Bett 6-0
113-2 Fredy Stroker (Fr) Bettendorf vs ??? Fall Bett 12-0
120-6 Drake Swarm (Sr) Bettendorf vs 4 Tony Devriese (Jr.) Davenport Assumption Dec DA 12-3
126-5 Jacob Woodard (Fr) Bettendorf vs 4 Kyle Springer (Jr.) Davenport Assumption Dec DA 12-6
132-4 Logan Ryan (So) Bettendorf vs 2 Topher Carton (Sr.) Davenport Assumption Dec DA 12-9
138-2 Connor Ryan (Sr) Bettendorf vs 5 Eric Clarke (So.) Davenport Assumption MD Bett 16-9
145-2 Alex Hernandez (Jr) Bettendorf vs ?? Fall Bett 22-9
152-9 Drake Chase (Sr) Bettendorf vs 1 Nick Georgean (Jr.) Davenport Assumption Fall DA 22-15
160-Toss up, Not sure whose here, so well give this one to DA DEC 22-18
170-4 Colby Vance (Sr) Bettendorf vs ??? Fall Bett 28-18
182-2 Bryan Levsen (Sr) Bettendorf vs ??? Fall Bett 34-18
195-5 Keaton Jurevitz (Sr) Bettendorf vs 7 Bradley Grothus (Sr.) Davenport Assumption Dec Bett 37-18
220-2 Nate Shaw (Sr) Bettendorf vs ???? Fall Bett 43-18
285-Gave 160 to DA so this one goes to Bett Dec Bett 46-18
If you look at it that way, DA is way to over matched. Just dont have the Balance, guys or power to hang in there.
46-18 is at worst
40-24 seems at best for DA
Either way, will be a great dual and awesome atmosphere just looks ONE SIDED.

They just announced that this meet tonight is cancelled because of the weather - will take place next Thursday the 19th

Assumption went 8-3 head to head against Bettendorf in the MAC wrestling meet last Saturday
This shows that you don't have to spend thousands of dollars on out of the state tournaments to be competitive in high school wrestling. There is plenty of tough competition right here in our surrounding areas.
No doubt quality competition helps prepare a kid for tough matches down the road, but just becasue you are going agaist a kid from Kansas or Texas doesn't mean they are better than a kid from Cedar rapids or Dubuque.
106 -- Brendan Gould, so. Assumption def. Jacob Schwarm, fr. Bettendorf in the semifinals 5-4.

120 -- Tony DeVrieze, jr. Assumption def. Drake Swarm, sr. Bettendorf in the semifinals 3-1.

126 -- Kyle Springer, jr. Assumption def. Jacob Woodard, fr. Bettendorf in the finals by injury forfeit. (If memory serves me, Springer was up 2-0 or 3-1 when the injury happened.)

132 -- Topher Carton, sr. Assumption def. Logan Ryan, so. Bettendorf in the finals by major deci-sion 13-2.

138 -- Connor Ryan, sr. Bettendorf def. Eric Clarke, so. Assumption in the finals by major deci-sion 12-1.

145 -- Bubba Hernandez, jr. Bettendorf def. Grant Rosenboom, jr. Assumption in the finals by pin at 3:14.

152 -- Nick Georgean, jr. Assumption def. Drake Chase, sr. Bettendorf by decision 8-5.

160 -- Tony Parks, jr. Assumption def. Eli Preisser, so. Bettendorf in the quarterfinals by major decision 11-2.

195 -- Bradley Grothus, sr. Assumption def. Keaton Jurevitz, sr. Bettendorf in the finals by deci-sion 11-8.

220 -- Nate Shaw, sr. Bettendorf def. Zach Adrian, so. Assumption in the semifinals by technical fall at 6:00.

285 -- Sean Easler jr def. Cavenough in fourth place match.

Thursday the rematches will be great to watch as will the other weights where Knights and Dogs did not meet.

Going a step further..if you add up the points scored and then plug in the weights that did not meet:
113- Stroker versus Becker; 170 Vance versus Matthys; 182 Levsen versus Powers. On paper Bett should win all three of these comfortably. I assumed pins for all the Dogs in these three.
Then the score would have been Bett 34 Assumption 29.
Obviously, if the Knights stay off their backs this meet is too close to call. Its especially not a one sided match by any means.
Assumption would have won more weights (8-6)but Dogs had more bonus points.
How long before the Willer kid from PV is wrestling for Bettendorf?

I think I will comment on your post about traveling for competition. First of all we need to travel to get matches. When teams refuse to schedule us like North Scott, Clinton, North and Central, then you need to find dates that need to be filled. MAC schools won't wrestle us twice, even thou that would be a great idea for duals like Assumption vs. Bettendorf. One at each place could keep a lot of fans in the seats. Springer and Woodard match was 0-0 at the team of the default.

Speaking of 145 finals. Rosenboom only had 2 losses and Hernandez with 6 on the year. I can personally tell you that those losses were all out of state and has benefited from what I saw in that finals match. But of course only time will tell.

I personally have stated that Assumption is a good team and will compete with anyone. I just think they have some padded records by choosing some of the lower quality tournaments. They would silence some critics by going to Battle of Waterloos, Keith Youngs or Ed Wingers. They clearly are good enough.
This post was edited on 1/16 6:26 PM by bubsdad

padded records?....these were head to head and Assumption won 8 out of 11.
do you think the kids thought about their records when they were on the mat?
i know one match does not mean one kid is better than the other, it does show that Assumption is working as hard as Bett is in the room and they must be getting challenged somewhere.
maybe other teams are worried that Bett may poach their athletes if they saw them head to head ;-) (Clinton, NS)
This post was edited on 1/17 3:49 AM by BKDevil

Ha Ha BKDevil - you are funny. Hope the best for the Central team. Maybe you should spend some time helping Mr. Mayfield in developing kids but then again maybe they might want to come over too.

And I was referring to overall records and stated they are clearly good enough to compete.
This post was edited on 1/17 12:25 PM by bubsdad

Why do those other schools not want to wrestle Bett? In order to be the best you need to be the best, is there some reason I don't know about?

should be a fun Match but Bettendorf is a deeper team. Assumption must of thought they would of been better when they had their big recruiting class 3 years ago-but some of them became average on the mat

yeah, Assumption's transfer...Topher Carton, has become average. He has only gone undefeated and won a state title.

isnt Iowa considered a top high school wrestling state? if so, why does a loss to a Kansas kid count more than a loss to an Iowa kid? six out of state losses are still losses. i am sure some of the six were to great wrestlers, but I am sure Bett saw their share of dogs in KC and WI as well. Just because your team goes to these events does not mean every weight is filled with all world wrestlers.
Assumption manged to wrestle some good teams as well....West Delaware, Denver Tripoli, Don Bosco among others.
And, I am a college Blue Devil!

I admit that the head to head results in MAC Championships have made me think this dual match could be closer than I originally thought. Also not sure that I agree with six losses against out of state competition is better than losses against the so called easier competition. I guess that is one person's opinion and people are entitled to opinions. Again, as I stated above, even though the match Thursday will be a measuring stick, we'll see how each school fares at State Dual and Individual championships.

Assumption is a very strong wrestling team with great tradition. Would Topher Carton be undefeated if he had gone to the Cheesehead or another national tourney --> no one can say. I would say that after being at the Cheesehead that the gold 8 man bracket had very few easy matches and almost everyone was stae ranked in their respective states. At some of the weights (145) there were several(4) nationally ranked wrestlers --> so there may be some easy matches at these tourneys but there are more quality matches to win the tourney. I would also say that in both cases for Bettendorf that Iowa showed well. Creston at the KC Classic and SE Polk and WSR at the Cheesehead wrestled well. I believe that Iowa has some of the best HS wrestlers in the nation and that on any given night there are quality matches throughout the state. I also believe that to go to Urbandale, Keith Young, KC Classic, Cheesehead and most other national tourneys that the depth of competition is better at most weights than some of the tourneys in Iowa.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of Thursday's meet. Based on the results last Saturday Bettendorf needs to come to wrestle or they will end up losers, there are alot of quality wrestlers in the Assumption lineup.

In my opinion, the last couple of years have seen the Assumption wrestlers "peaking" at State Tourney time whereas Bettendorf has seemed to have been tired and more beat up come State Tournament time. The wrestling season can be very brutal on the mind and body. Not second guessing either coaches method because both have been very successfull, however I think a happy medium would benefit both teams - Assumption getting into one or two big tourneys and Bett backing off one or two.

As far as the meet this Thursday, if your expecting a close match I think you will be disappointed. Assumption won the majority of the head to head matches this past weekend, but most were very close matches. Even with Woodward being out, Bettendorf is going to score way to many bonus points for Assumption to keep it close. If match starts at 170, Bettendorf could be up by 30 plus points before Assumption even scores a point.
I do think both will win the State Championship in their repspective classes however. Best of luck to both teams.

The dual Thursday should not be given any more weight than the MAC championships did last weekend.
Obviously, with the results from last week, it shows that Assumption has athletes that are capable of beating the talented wrestlers from Bett.
Does that mean they will do it again? No.
I just hope that either way, the fans will acknowledge the other as being a team to be reckoned with. When AHS beat the Dogs in football, Bett fans said that their goal is not to beat Assumption, but to win state titles. They basically disregarded their loss and called it a fluke.
Assumption wrestling beat Dogs pretty good in head to head matches last weekend (8-3). It was not a fluke. But, Bett still won the prize because they have outstanding depth.
I am sure Coach Knight and all the Bett athletes will be amped to not let it happen again and you can bet that it is a huge goal this time around.

Fans who claim Bett will run away are hopeful,(and could be right) but at the same time, if the meet starts at 106 Assumption COULD win 7 out of 9 before 170 even comes up. Basically, I am saying both teams are good enough to win.

Here's my predictions

106-2 Jacob Schwarm (Fr) Bettendorf vs ??? Fall Bett 3-0 although Jacob has problems with bigger wrestlers
113-2 Fredy Stroker (Fr) Bettendorf vs ??? Fall Bett 9-0
120-6 Drake Swarm (Sr) Bettendorf vs 4 Tony Devriese (Jr.) Davenport Assumption Dec DA 9-3
126-5 Jacob Woodard (Fr) Bettendorf vs 4 Kyle Springer (Jr.) Davenport Assumption Dec DA 9-9 win by FF
132-4 Logan Ryan (So) Bettendorf vs 2 Topher Carton (Sr.) Davenport Assumption Dec DA 9-14 Topher looked really good Saturday
138-2 Connor Ryan (Sr) Bettendorf vs 5 Eric Clarke (So.) Davenport Assumption MD Bett 13-14
145-2 Alex Hernandez (Jr) Bettendorf vs ?? Fall Bett 19-14
152-9 Drake Chase (Sr) Bettendorf vs 1 Nick Georgean (Jr.) Davenport Assumption Fall DA 19-17
160-Toss up, Not sure whose here, so well give this one to DA DEC 19-22
170-4 Colby Vance (Sr) Bettendorf vs ??? Fall Bett 25-22
182-2 Bryan Levsen (Sr) Bettendorf vs ??? Fall Bett 29-22
195-5 Keaton Jurevitz (Sr) Bettendorf vs 7 Bradley Grothus (Sr.) Davenport Assumption Dec Bett 29-25
220-2 Nate Shaw (Sr) Bettendorf vs ???? Fall Bett 34-25
285-Gave 160 to DA so this one goes to Bett Dec Bett 34-28

Bett 34
AHS 28

not bad...
160 should be at least a DEC for Tony Parks of Assumption over Eli Preisser from Bett. Parks beat him fairly easy Saturday.
Rosenboom at 145 just was outconditioned versus Hernandez. Can he stay off his back this time?
Also, Sean Easler at 285 should repeat victory over Cavanaugh. Easler seemed better despite the weight gap he gave up.
And, Schwarm at 106 lost to Gould at 106...can he rebound and get a pin?
should be fun to watch

BKDevil - let me buy you a soda and some popcorn while we enjoy the meet. Feel free to introduce your so knowledgeable self.

Bubsdad, He will be easy to spot. Look for the gentlemen sporting a coat with elbow patches, a beard and smoking a pipe.

Thats not a good look Rooster. But, who tooted your horn?

Why do I feel like somebody took something wrong that I posted? A little sensitive about something I wrote?
I will take the corn and pop though, Rooster can keep his jacket, I will just continue to offer my opinions. Just like everyone else does!

BKdevil, I just noticed a quick change of opinion on the Bulldogs. "Assumption will be lucky to get 15 points and 20 is out of the question." And now you're questioning the Bulldog's schedule. I have a lot of respect for Bubsdad and the Bett's coaching staff.......that's all

No cord touched here. I like your insight even if you tend to flip flop as pointed out by Rooster.

Look me up tonight I'm serious on buying you a soda. I'm actually a friendly guy.

I however do laugh at your comment on "outconditioned" him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT