ADVERTISEMENT

Championship Game

After watching today's game and not having seen Regina play before I guess I was very surprised. I was expecting much more from Regina based on the talk throughout the season. Not to take anything away from them (80 games), I just thought they would be better. Congrats to WC, well done. The last 5 years, NW Iowa districts have produced either the state champ or runner up....WC, WC, West Lyon, West Lyon, Hinton (different classes I know, because teams have moved up and down) I put my money on West Lyon next year, they were good and young this year. Very entertaining game today, thanks.
Regina was not real sharp. It didn't seem like either team played their best game (turnovers). Both teams had nice athletes and both teams played hard. You're right, great game. I've said I won't bet against the champ until someone beats the champ and WC did just that. As I look at the end of this streak, it is really impressive that any team can win that many in a row. I am surprised in many ways it was not done sooner. When you get to the title game 7 years in a row, you are getting good teams not only in the finals but to get to the finals. You are getting teams that want to slay the giant. You are getting everyone's best shot. And it is difficult to be at your best every game. An easy formula to get beat is to play a good team and not play your best. It is no doubt that Regina has struggled before but been still good enough to win, which is a sign of a good team. Today, WC was too much to overcome for the Regals and, WC themselves, showed the ability to respond to adversity.

This game isn't as in depth as people want to believe.

1). Regina's line wasn't as good as everyone said they were. They were nuetralized fairly easily and Kooima was easily staying away. Those hurries in the 1st half tired out the "Premier Line in 1A" and they were abused in the 2nd half. 7 points by Regina in the 2nd half!? From what was said about this line, you should have been able to run powers and dives all night and been able to move the ball EASILY.

2). Clear talent advantage at skill positions for WC.

People want to believe the reason why Regina lost is so in depth and a number of reasons because of Regina's storied past, the clear reason is because they were definitely outmatched at skill positions and their line play wasn't that great. Simple.

Reactions: DarkThunder#61
I've found out you will be hard pressed to have the Regina fan base accept the loss based on the opposing team having better athletes or having their "premier" line take some accountability.

I think as you do on many things that you know less about this than you do. WC played better yesterday. They made more plays and won the game. So it took you all of 37 minutes to get through your 'hard pressed' dilemma. Glad I could help with this.

Reactions: BigDan21
This game isn't as in depth as people want to believe.

1). Regina's line wasn't as good as everyone said they were. They were neutralized fairly easily and Kooima was easily staying away. Those hurries in the 1st half tired out the "Premier Line in 1A" and they were abused in the 2nd half. 7 points by Regina in the 2nd half!? From what was said about this line, you should have been able to run powers and dives all night and been able to move the ball EASILY.

2). Clear talent advantage at skill positions for WC.
People want to believe the reason why Regina lost is so in depth and a number of reasons because of Regina's storied past, the clear reason is because they were definitely outmatched at skill positions and their line play wasn't that great. Simple.
Perhaps I missed something but you might be over-reacting about Regina not admitting to the talent level on the field by WC (in your other post). I think most fans will agree that WC had multiple talented athletes on the field. However, it is likely that Regina will argue for their athletes as you will yours. WC is highly successful in basketball every year so their talent level is very high. Regina has multiple titles in other sports so ditto. I don't think your point on the line is accurate though. I do believe WC was very successful at their game plan and attacking the Regina defense. Regina calculated that they could be more successful using 3 down lineman and using more cover guys. Regina normally runs a more traditional 4-man front. Credit to WC for forcing Regina to do something they normally don't do and it worked. WC exploited this in the run game and Kooima was very good at scrambling and made numerous plays. I do not believe it was a matter of the Regina line being tired. I did not see hands on the hips, asking for breathers, etc...They used 5 different DL to run their 3-man front. I don't think the Regina line was neutralized by players as you suggest but rather by the WC scheme. I give much credit to WC for this. I have seen many Big 10 teams get beat for the same reasons. After looking at the box score, as effective as WC was in the run, Regina did outrush WC 296-227 with an average gain of 7.4 vs 4.7. Both teams rushed pretty well. Not that it matters but I'd be curious, who do you think has the "premier" line in 1A?

Perhaps I missed something but you might be over-reacting about Regina not admitting to the talent level on the field by WC (in your other post). I think most fans will agree that WC had multiple talented athletes on the field. However, it is likely that Regina will argue for their athletes as you will yours. WC is highly successful in basketball every year so their talent level is very high. Regina has multiple titles in other sports so ditto. I don't think your point on the line is accurate though. I do believe WC was very successful at their game plan and attacking the Regina defense. Regina calculated that they could be more successful using 3 down lineman and using more cover guys. Regina normally runs a more traditional 4-man front. Credit to WC for forcing Regina to do something they normally don't do and it worked. WC exploited this in the run game and Kooima was very good at scrambling and made numerous plays. I do not believe it was a matter of the Regina line being tired. I did not see hands on the hips, asking for breathers, etc...They used 5 different DL to run their 3-man front. I don't think the Regina line was neutralized by players as you suggest but rather by the WC scheme. I give much credit to WC for this. I have seen many Big 10 teams get beat for the same reasons. After looking at the box score, as effective as WC was in the run, Regina did outrush WC 296-227 with an average gain of 7.4 vs 4.7. Both teams rushed pretty well. Not that it matters but I'd be curious, who do you think has the "premier" line in 1A?

Gator will come back with something along the lines of 'taller receivers, skill athletes,etc.'. He has already told us he knows more than the coaches at Xavier and Pella.

what happened to the WC receiver that got injured. Collar bone?
Last I heard it was a mild sprain of the AC joint. Doesn't sound to serious, which is good, he's the leading returning scorer on the basketball team. Gonna need him.

Western will put up points and the only question is will they stop Regina (which I think they will win the turnover battle). Watching last week Kooima is better then Regina's QB and will make more plays! Sticking to my prediction!

Western Christian -35
Iowa City Regina - 21

The Streak will be over

I was off by a couple of touchdowns but the spread was the same. Western is tough and Regina had no match for their athleticism.

Are these two teams favorites going into next year?
I'm a Western homer & would love to say yes, but I think West Lyon will be the team to beat in our district.
Hoping the winning tradition continues for Western, but we lose a lot of key seniors, including the 3-year QB who really is what made the offense go.

Won't be surprised to see Van Meter back in the dome either.

Any idea where the Kooima kid will go to play QB? Very impressed with his abilities and his intellect. Good pocket presence and he has a great arm!

What does West Lyon and Van Meter have coming back?

Any idea where the Kooima kid will go to play QB? Very impressed with his abilities and his intellect. Good pocket presence and he has a great arm!
What does West Lyon and Van Meter have coming back?
Haven't heard anything on Kooima's plans.
Can definitely play QB at next level.
His brother (& head coach) was a standout QB @ Northwestern, so guessing they have an inside track.
Other local schools definitely interested.
Curious to see if his state performance earns more interest from the next level schools?

Haven't heard anything on Kooima's plans.
Can definitely play QB at next level.
His brother (& head coach) was a standout QB @ Northwestern, so guessing they have an inside track.
Other local schools definitely interested.
Curious to see if his state performance earns more interest from the next level schools?

I think Coach Kooima has the makings of a good college OC as well.

Thought he did a really nice job calling plays and has done a good job with a young program

He ran some early motion that gave him an indication of the defensive plan. He kept Regina off plan most of the game, WC had the plan and executed it.

I mean absolutely no disrespect with this question, Marv Cook has forgotten more football then I know, but this was asked about Jerry Pezzetti and what his role was. What exactly is Marv's role with coaching the team, he seemed to always be away from the action Friday and kind of to himself. I know that he doesn't call offense or defense, but what exactly is his role?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT