ADVERTISEMENT

Championship Game

All Western needs is that one big stop, or a 3 and out to gain the confidence that they can not only hold Regina but beat them. They've shown that they can score with them. But can they stop them?

I would also like to see Regina help that cause a little more. ;)

Regina has to open up playbook and pass more. Western Christian selling out on the run and leaving DB's in man coverage with no help.

WC totally neutralized the "best line in the state". 400+ yards and 47 points. Unreal!!!

I think WC's line held their own, but where they won the game was Regina's secondary struggled in both coverage and run support. #10 was really the only good DB on the field for the Regals relative to past Regina teams. Also quarterback wasn't as accurate throwing and forced more errors compared to previous years. WC played with a lot of heart and I got the feeling this game was largely a game of will and WC wanted it more.

Too many uncharacteristic mistakes, penalties and turnovers from Regina to overcome. They hadn't played that poorly all year. Hats off to Western Christian though. Their offense was very good.

It's actually a bit of a relief in a way to have the streak come to an end.
Time for the team to begin to get ready for next season and work even harder.
The future for Regina looks bright.

As a fan, it feels great to win, but even better to have beaten the 6-time reigning champion. I am interested to know if Regina pre-printed State Champion T-Shirts and hats again this year.
Great game by WC. Are you seriously worried about t-shirts?!?!?!

a slippery ball The Regals turned the ball over five times
congrats to WC & Regina for representing, great game to watch.

Reactions: Bluejay89
Just read the DMR recap of the game. Sounds like Regina players were pretty classy with their comments and actions after the game. Says a lot for High School kids to be able to show class after a tough loss.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ty-regina-wins-class-1a-state-title/94086228/
Two well-coached teams. Both sides played hard with intensity. Lots of mistakes in this ball game both ways. Western Christian made a few more plays in the end than Regina. Both schools have won lots of titles in lots of sports. I am sure the state is not sad to watch Regina's streak come to an end. Hull is ecstatic with two titles in the same day. I am sure both schools get targeted for "recruiting." I'd be curious to hear if the eastern half of the state was rooting for WC and the Western side rooting for Regina if they could stand to. Anyway, great game!

After watching today's game and not having seen Regina play before I guess I was very surprised. I was expecting much more from Regina based on the talk throughout the season. Not to take anything away from them (80 games), I just thought they would be better. Congrats to WC, well done. The last 5 years, NW Iowa districts have produced either the state champ or runner up....WC, WC, West Lyon, West Lyon, Hinton (different classes I know, because teams have moved up and down) I put my money on West Lyon next year, they were good and young this year. Very entertaining game today, thanks.

IMO, the 2 best 1A teams met in finals (just like last year).
Both were great games. Glad we got a turn to come out on top.

My armchair analysis:
  • Shocked by the number of turnovers on both sides. I went in thinking 2 TO's would end your chance. (hats off to both defenses)
  • Figured it would take a lot of points to win this one & it was confirmed.
  • Regina is a well-oiled machine. They know what they do well & dare you to stop it. Western thrives on chaos & dares you to adapt.
  • Most shocked that Western could run the ball. Was expecting a purely air attack.
  • 2 awesome running backs. Vollstedt is pure power/speed. Granstra is illusive & smart. Both effective & fun to watch.
  • I think if Regina would have gone up by 2 TD's, it would have been a different ballgame (and outcome)
  • 2 great coaches with radically different styles. How many assistants does Cook have?
Why I think Western won:
  • Regina's line playing both ways. They looked gassed in the 4th qtr. Western only has a couple playing both ways. They had Brinkman line up and DE and then go back to the middle. He did a LOT of chasing Kooima (only caught him once & it was late). I can see why they tried it, but it made him leg weary late in the game.
  • Western took a chance & loaded the box to contain Vollstedt. They left wide-out with single coverage, but QB couldn't find them (got burned bad once though).
  • Second efforts: Gesink extending/holding on to a few passes made into double coverage & Granstra pumping his legs after contact & spinning out of tackles all day.
  • Western's overachieving line: They run a lot of stunts and held their own against the premier line in 1A.
  • I think Western looked hungrier & showed more fire. Regina isn't complacent, but winning is almost routine to them. Very classy in defeat though.

Reactions: DarkThunder#61
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT