ADVERTISEMENT

Championship Game

Bluejay89

Freshman
Sep 11, 2016
The board has been a bit quiet as teams getting knocked out. I filled some time by going on to the 3A forum. Getting a little hot over there so now back to 1A. Only one more to speculate on. Who wants to lead off? I think this will be a great game similar to last year.

Should be a great game. Western runs some great schemes that will give Regina trouble. Listened to Western fans prior to their game they were pretty confident and clear they wanted another shot against Regina. Two well coached, talented teams going at it.

Very excited for this rematch.

Western Christian is going to have to be balanced on offense against Regina. Obviously Kooima can throw it and throw it well. I expect Regina to get after him early and try and keep him in the pocket. He is dangerous scrambling into the open field. But WC will need a running game. I thought that they had some success against a good VM defense, but VM is not Regina. Regina will hope to stop the run with their front 4, and WC is going to have to prove that isn't the case. I expect a heavy dose of the speed option and the zone cut backs that we saw against VM.

In terms of Regina's offense, I thought that it was a strong performance in all aspects against Denver. I expect Vollstedt to get the ball more against WC (looked like they choked him down to keep him fresh for the finals) and Jensen to get more touches, possibly on some jets or quick screens. Regina's line is by far their strength on both sides of the ball, and right now I just struggle to see WC holding Regina to under 35 points, so I think it is going to be a shootout.

Also will throw it in for thought - WC will be able to look at the Pella Christian game and see exactly how they want to attack Regina's defense. I don't think they have a weapon like Jungling, but I expect the WC coach to study that film hard and find some weaknesses to exploit of Regina. That being said, I think Regina is very well-coached and will of course made adjustments from that game, so I doubt they will make the same mistakes again, but it'll be a fun week for both squads playing chess.

Finally, I love the confidence of WC. They clearly know they can hang with Regina and be the ones that knock them off, and not many teams over the years have truly believed that. However, the article in the Press Citizen talked about putting a Regina shirt on a practice dummy, and so I expect that to be used as some bulletin board material for Regina and they will be locked in and ready to play. Come at the crown, best not miss.

Right now, I think Regina defends the title 35-28. But the streak has to end sometime, right?

Very excited for this rematch.

Western Christian is going to have to be balanced on offense against Regina. Obviously Kooima can throw it and throw it well. I expect Regina to get after him early and try and keep him in the pocket. He is dangerous scrambling into the open field. But WC will need a running game. I thought that they had some success against a good VM defense, but VM is not Regina. Regina will hope to stop the run with their front 4, and WC is going to have to prove that isn't the case. I expect a heavy dose of the speed option and the zone cut backs that we saw against VM.

In terms of Regina's offense, I thought that it was a strong performance in all aspects against Denver. I expect Vollstedt to get the ball more against WC (looked like they choked him down to keep him fresh for the finals) and Jensen to get more touches, possibly on some jets or quick screens. Regina's line is by far their strength on both sides of the ball, and right now I just struggle to see WC holding Regina to under 35 points, so I think it is going to be a shootout.

Also will throw it in for thought - WC will be able to look at the Pella Christian game and see exactly how they want to attack Regina's defense. I don't think they have a weapon like Jungling, but I expect the WC coach to study that film hard and find some weaknesses to exploit of Regina. That being said, I think Regina is very well-coached and will of course made adjustments from that game, so I doubt they will make the same mistakes again, but it'll be a fun week for both squads playing chess.

Finally, I love the confidence of WC. They clearly know they can hang with Regina and be the ones that knock them off, and not many teams over the years have truly believed that. However, the article in the Press Citizen talked about putting a Regina shirt on a practice dummy, and so I expect that to be used as some bulletin board material for Regina and they will be locked in and ready to play. Come at the crown, best not miss.

Right now, I think Regina defends the title 35-28. But the streak has to end sometime, right?

I missed that article in the Press-Citizen, but then again I don't really expect them to cover Iowa City prep sports.

Rumor I heard was that prior to the championship game last year a player saw that regina had state champion shirts already printed and ready to go, and the player took offense to having the championship shirts ready before the game had even started. They backed it up last year, but I can see where players might try to use it as motivation. Probably shouldn't have taken it either, but highschoolers aren't known for being level headed.

They didn't take the shirt, it was left behind.

Western Christian will be a tough match up for anybody. Head Coach Travis Kooima does a tremendous job with his scheme on the offensive side of the ball. He looks like he has lots of weapons at receiver and his running back can get it going good balance of power and speed. Kooima the QB is a tough to defend because of his mobility when things aren't there. He's got great feet and is very fast! Western was fun to watch Saturday. I think Western will beat Regina and will beat them by at least 2 TD's and I think deep down Regina is a little worried about this game and Western ending the streak! FWIW - Travis is putting himself in a great spot for his career if he wants to go to a bigger school or to a college as a coordinator.

Western 35
Regina 21

Western Christian will be a tough match up for anybody. Head Coach Travis Kooima does a tremendous job with his scheme on the offensive side of the ball. He looks like he has lots of weapons at receiver and his running back can get it going good balance of power and speed. Kooima the QB is a tough to defend because of his mobility when things aren't there. He's got great feet and is very fast! Western was fun to watch Saturday. I think Western will beat Regina and will beat them by at least 2 TD's and I think deep down Regina is a little worried about this game and Western ending the streak! FWIW - Travis is putting himself in a great spot for his career if he wants to go to a bigger school or to a college as a coordinator.

Western 35
Regina 21

I love the confidence! But let's slow down a second here. Two touchdowns seems like a lot, either direction.

And I think Regina is going to be locked in. They are used to playing teams who are thinking about ending a streak (PC already this year) and have experience with it in the past (Solon ending the winning streak). I think it is ridiculous to think Regina is going to somehow either overlook WC or be worried about this game. I think both teams are going to enter the UNIDome believing they can win, which is why I think this is the best final in any class.

Reactions: Bluejay89
IowaFBcommentor - What type of offense did Pella run against Regina? Just wondering

Lot of the same as Western Christian. 3 or 4 wide pretty consistently. Mix of some inside zone and pass. To me, those two teams are more similar than WC and Van Meter, strictly for the personnel and the ability to hit the big play. A lot of great schemes to get guys open, especially out of the trips set. Both teams are well coached. I think Kooima is a better quarterback than Kac (that is nothing against Kac - I just think Kooima is a bigger overall threat at QB). WC can line up four solid WR's, but they don't have a Jungling. So it's six one way half a dozen another. But WC and PC are extremely similar in their styles of play and what they are trying to do throughout the game.

I'm hoping we'll have another great game like last year! 2 great programs. Western's young program is still trying to get out of their basketball shadow & 2 trips to the finals helps.
If it wasn't for miscommunication on a route last year, Western would have been presented with the dilemma on whether to go for 2 and the win (I think we would have gone for it).

The t-shirt makes for a good story, but it was about respecting that Regina was good enough to get to the dome again & Western wanting motivation to join them, not some year-long revenge pact.

I expect Regina to control the line and it will be up to Western's speed to get open. WR's may be a step slower than Jungling, but also much taller (and there are more of them). Western must win the give/take-away contest & force 3rd & longs. Their strength is the ability to score in a hurry with a smart QB with multiple targets.

Regina is a machine & it's their title to lose. Guessing the winner will need 28+ points to win this one.

Nobody has really stopped Regina's offense this season. The 26 against Xavier on the road was their lowest point total on the season. So, I think they'll be able to score. Can Western score enough to match the Regals? I think they have the potential, but they'll have to avoid any mistakes. Regina has come up with big interceptions against passing teams this season (5 against Pella Christian). I think Brinkman and the Regina D line will force quick decisions and QB scrambles which will increase the chance for those mistakes.
I think it should be a great game.

VanderHoops - which team is better 2015 Western or 2016 Western team? Do you see sustained success with FB program to make it elite?

Western 35
Regina 21

If Western keeps Regina to 21 I will tip my hat to them and say well done. Is there a line out there with Western favored by 14+? It would be interesting to see the action on that one. Western does present a great deal of challenges to Regina and I am sure there is some concern over this matchup. Western was very impressive in the dome and the year long revenge theme helps their cause. Should be a good one.

VanderHoops - which team is better 2015 Western or 2016 Western team? Do you see sustained success with FB program to make it elite?

I'll throw in my .02. I think this year's team has a better offense and the defense is similar to 2015. We definitely missed some Seniors on defense from 2015 early in the year, but those positions have been filled nicely by some younger players. The offense is very confident, and if Kooima can avoid interceptions, Friday should be a great game. I think this game will come down to turnovers and minimizing mistakes. WC certainly has a smaller margin for error than Regina. If Western can get up early and make Regina play from behind, who knows?

As for sustaining success, losing 16 key Seniors from this year's team will be tough to overcome next year. Kooima is among the best QB's in the state, not just 1A, and you don't just replace him. Same with Gesink, Fenchel, Oostenink and Jake Uittenbogaard. Some unique talent there that isn't in every class. I think Western will contend for District titles and playoff spots most years, but making it to the Dome will continue to be a special event.

Thanks NWIAHawkfan for answering. Always fun to see a program come out of the blue and do what they've done. I didn't realize they had that many seniors that play. Not typical for a 1A team to have that veteran leadership. I agree with your comments about Kooima. His stats and getting to watch him last Saturday impressed me.

So your saying Western doesn't have another Kooima, Gesink, Fenchel, Oostenink and Jake Uittenbogaard waiting to fill their spots you're saying. JV team have good success?

I don't know a lot about the JV other than they were decent. 6-2? 5-3? VanderHoops might better answer that. All 5 of those guys I mentioned could play at the next level in some respect. Kooima and Jake U are definitely the best two. Gesink is so long and deceptively fast. Fenchel is just a beast on the O-Line. A few of those kids have been playing varsity for 3 years. When you graduate 16 from a 1A school, you are going to have inexperience the next year. Now, we do have another Uittenbogaard coming up, Micah is Jakes Soph. brother and has been playing at a very high level since mid-season.

Last edited:
in what was supposed to be a grind out ground game, Regina defensive line limited Denver to 105 rushing yards, 240 yards below its season average & passed for a season-high 285 yards.I don't believe that WC can keep up with the multi-facetted machine. The only hope is a slippery ball for the Regals & WC has is to win the turnover battle by 5.
Regals 42-20 with WC scoring last TD against Regal reserves.

I would have to say that WC winning by 14 would be a little tough. I do however believe they will give Regina it's 3rd toughest test of the year (behind Xavier and PC). Regina 42 WC 28.

Interesting posts. Both teams (and fans) appear confident and excited for the game. Should make for a great game. From what I gather, both teams seem confident they can put up points on the other and to look out for a shootout. So . . . does the better defense win this game? I haven't heard too much from either side about their teams defense. As they say, "defense wins championships." I'd love to see some posts from the Regina and WC side about their defenses.

Western relies on getting to the QB to hurry throws and force bad decisions, making the QB nervous with every snap. That will be a big challenge against Regina's line. WC is not huge up front, but they are very quick off the ball. They bring pressure from a lot of different positions which makes them tough to read and pick up. They flow to the ball very well and have impressive speed on defense. I'm anxious to see how they stack up.

IMO: WC could not slow down Vollstedt as a Soph in 2015 Championship. This from QuikStats.
2015: Isaac Vollstedt SO 9 125 13.9 ave. 1TD
I believe they will have even more trouble this year as the Regals use him as a receiver & he is very elusive in open space, D-backs don't know if he will avoid them or run over them. Other weapons of Jenson, Conlon, Phillips, Felderman & that impressive line will be to much for WC. WC won't be able to score as often & as easily as the Regals.

Should be a good crowd. Lots of people I've talked to over the past few days are planning on going, even some that haven't gone in the last couple of seasons.

Reactions: VanderHoops
I think that anyone calling for a blowout is kidding themselves, I see this game being like the Regina vs. PC game. A lot of points scored and a lot of action. The team that makes fewer mistakes will win.

I think that anyone calling for a blowout is kidding themselves, I see this game being like the Regina vs. PC game. A lot of points scored and a lot of action. The team that makes fewer mistakes will win.

I am with you on this one WC was impressive last week and on film. Should be a barn burner.

IMO: WC could not slow down Vollstedt as a Soph in 2015 Championship. This from QuikStats.
2015: Isaac Vollstedt SO 9 125 13.9 ave. 1TD
I believe they will have even more trouble this year as the Regals use him as a receiver & he is very elusive in open space, D-backs don't know if he will avoid them or run over them. Other weapons of Jenson, Conlon, Phillips, Felderman & that impressive line will be to much for WC. WC won't be able to score as often & as easily as the Regals.

Western will put up points and the only question is will they stop Regina (which I think they will win the turnover battle). Watching last week Kooima is better then Regina's QB and will make more plays! Sticking to my prediction!

Western Christian -35
Iowa City Regina - 21

The Streak will be over

We'll just have to wait and see! I look forward to seeing how it all goes down in the Dome tomorrow.

Nothing indicates that this won't be a great game. My guess is Vollstedt and Jensen get their touches for Regina and Kooima, Granstra, and Gesink get theirs. Who, besides these guys, is going to step up for either team and make the difference? Regina's line is a strength. Kooima likes to throw it on the run or is at least effective at it. Can he neutralize the Regina DL by doing so? If Regina can contain him and force him to do some things more quickly than usual or make a couple of mistakes, that will be big for Regina. If he can buy time and make plays with his feet or find receivers, WC can really challenge Regina. WC can be a quick strike team so no lead is safe. Regina will share the offensive touches as usual. Will they be able to grind it out offensively and play keep away? The chess match is on! WC has quite a task because a chess match with Marv Cook and staff is a daunting task.

Western will put up points and the only question is will they stop Regina (which I think they will win the turnover battle). Watching last week Kooima is better then Regina's QB and will make more plays! Sticking to my prediction!

Western Christian -35
Iowa City Regina - 21

The Streak will be over

Luke puts a confidence % on his picks, is yours 100%? I will take the under for WC and the over for Regina, maybe WB can show up and make a wager.....wait scratch that, he needs to settle up his last wager. I kid because I miss having him here. ;)

Confidence prediction 75%

Regina's stout front will be neutralized by Kooima's scrambling ability. Look for the Jet Sweep game to get going to get the big boys of Regina moving side to side.

WC looks to have more then just Kooima, Gesink, and Granstra. Jansma and Grevengood made plays as well last week.

Special Teams could be a factor as well!

I think Kooima will be scrambling too...but Brinkman will be right on his heels.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT