ADVERTISEMENT

CB and SWI Baseball 2012

Been pretty quiet for a few days and I know the season's coming to an end. Just have to ask a question??? Based on this perspective, which guy has pitched against the tougher competition throughout the year?

Pitcher #1 Combined record of the teams he faced....203 wins vs 92 loses

Pitcher #2 Combined record of the teams he faced.....80 wins vs 107 loses

Sorry for the edites....always in a hurry!!

This post was edited on 7/10 10:44 AM by webby22

This post was edited on 7/10 10:46 AM by webby22

Well if this is the ONLY criteria that you are using I would say that #1 face better competition, obviously because the total wins vs losses are much higher. But of course I can not stop there.....

With that being said I think that one would have to look at the power ratings such as BC moore provides in his rankings. If the teams that had 203 wins faced really bad teams then the 203 wins are misleading. I have always subscribed to the Quality over Quantity theory.

Honestly I have no idea of what the hell I am talking about but I had a few mins to kill while at work

http://www.stalbertsportsfan.com

I hear ya..lol...I rarely know what I'm talking about myself. I see your point. Another angle, pitcher #1 only faced ONE team with a losing record and 5 that had 23 or more wins. Pitcher #2 faced THREE teams with losing records and another was only 500. AL at 19 wins had the most wins of any team he faced. Also head to head....they both beat each others teams during the year.

I like your Quality vs Quantity theroy. Pitcher #2- 3 of his 6 wins were against teams that have a combine 29 wins on the whole season. Pitcher #1- pitched against THREE teams that have than many and more wins by themselves. (29,30,30) by the way he was 2-1 against those teams. Of course these are JUST FACTS......and we know those voting don't always rely on FACTS!!!

The regular season is over and we are off to post season games. If I had to pick an all-city team right now it would include 4 fro SA (Lewis, Hecker, Hawk and Rindone) 3 from AL (Crowl, Gann, Dean) and 2 from LC (Scott and Simmons) these choices are made strictly from stats. I believe the city coaches should pick the team and the POY since the 4 posters on here have seen more games in person than the Nonpariel sports writers. I say take their vote away.

Question, what happened to Hecker? I haven't seen or heard of him pitching in quite a while. Is he hurt? Hope not cause if he doesn't pitch, SA is in big trouble.

Finally I have to agree with both SASF and Webby22, they were spot on when they both said they rarely understand the subject that they are ranting about. In fact, probably the most accurate thing said on this board in many years. Of course, they are better then CBSPORTSFAN, these 2 guys at least they admit their full of shit. CBSPORTSFAN showers the reader will piles and piles of it and thinks he is the Dali Lama.

Originally posted by 3shooter3:

Question, what happened to Hecker? I haven't seen or heard of him pitching in quite a while. Is he hurt? Hope not cause if he doesn't pitch, SA is in big trouble.

Ben is fine I think this is just the regular post season pitching rotation game that the coach is trying to set up for the best use of his arms. Ben was the DH in the first rouond game and jacked a towering HR so he is 100%.

Finally I have to agree with both SASF and Webby22, they were spot on when they both said they rarely understand the subject that they are ranting about. In fact, probably the most accurate thing said on this board in many years. Of course, they are better then CBSPORTSFAN, these 2 guys at least they admit their full of shit. CBSPORTSFAN showers the reader will piles and piles of it and thinks he is the Dali Lama.

LMAO shooter! When I read the first line of the 2nd paragraph I almost fell off my chair! I actually thought you were giving Webby and myself an actual compliment.......:) I do agree with you on your take with CBSPORTSFAN though..

The regular season is over and we are off to post season games. If I had to pick an all-city team right now it would include 4 fro SA (Lewis, Hecker, Hawk and Rindone) 3 from AL (Crowl, Gann, Dean) and 2 from LC (Scott and Simmons) these choices are made strictly from stats. I believe the city coaches should pick the team and the POY since the 4 posters on here have seen more games in person than the Nonpariel sports writers. I say take their vote away.

LOL SASF!! Shooter would never give us credit in the way of a compliment. Keep in mind...his prowess throughout his high school career was in track and field. I never really thought those track guys were the sharpest tools in the shed. I heard when he first ran track the coach had to remind him...TURN LEFT!!! Here's another story I heard that summerizes the interllectual level of a TRACK GUY!! A track guy goes out for a run. He comes to a river and cannot see a bridge anywhere nearby. He spots Shooter, another track guy on the opposite bank. Yoohoo fellow track guy! He shouts, "How can I get to the other side?" Shooter, using all his track wisdom, looks up and down the river then shouts back, "You're already on the other side!"

As for baseball, I hope it turns out differently but I see the season ending for AL, TJ and LC after tonight. The Falcons will make a deep run and most likely end up in Des Moines.

Okay, what website did you get that little tidbit from? I have to laugh at your use of the word prowess, a word used by only those who think highly of themselve that can't seem to realize that they are no longer in HS. You are right though I was a track guy while you chose a different path. Webby was groomed as a baseball player growing up in the south end by throwing rocks at cars and running from the cops. In the west end we understood the importance of other people's property, going to class, staying away from drugs and alcohol and trying hard to just be good kids.

All kidding aside, Webby is great guy and better friend. I blame his wife and the knuckleheads he ran around with in HS for everything.

Shooter…..you're way too funny. Throwing rocks at cars and running from the cops…….Classic!! The sad thing is there's a certain amount of truth to that..lol!! You have to remember we didn't have strike zone camps, private pitching or hitting lessons or anything like that back in the day. So I developed my arm strength and accuracy throwing things like rock, eggs, that type of thing. As for the lighting speed…..that certainly came from the running from the law….but also from all those BAD @SSES in the Southend. Hey I had to do anything to survive…lol. We didn't have it as easy as those Westenders.

Webby & Shooter, although each of you took different paths that lead to your achievments on and off the field, whether it be from swimming across rivers or running from the cops. The reason athletes from SA do so well (at least back in the day when the Nuns wore the habits) was because we were beaten into submission by those Nuns. Sensitivity training was not even invented yet.

Don't let those wirey little old nuns fool you they can blow out a 40 yd dash in under 5.0 and I know from personnel experience they can swing a mean paddle, and are not afraid to dole out ass whuppens at the drop of a bible!

Hell even the cops are affraid of them.

Sounds like a great game last night between SA and Treynor, too bad someone had to lose. Actually nice to see Treynor getting a chance to play at state. I hate to hear a questionable call may have made the difference. Any thoughts on the game??

Congrats to Treynor! It seemed the ump made a very bad call, BUT, that did not determine the outcome. Both teams had missed opportunities to score and didn't. Bottom line is both teams played well and have met in the sub state final 2 years in a row with both games being classics, Looking Forward to next year!

Originally posted by SASF:

Congrats to Treynor! It seemed the ump made a very bad call, BUT, that did not determine the outcome. Both teams had missed opportunities to score and didn't. Bottom line is both teams played well and have met in the sub state final 2 years in a row with both games being classics, Looking Forward to next year!

Let's call it what it really is! The ump robbed St. Albert of the win, 7th inning Treynor down 1 - 0 and they have 2 outs, Saint Albert needed to play great ball and make the play at 2nd base, they made the play, Mittan was clearly out at second and the game was over.

This game was not a classic it was tragedy. This game will never, ever be considered a classic. Both teams played too hard to have had the game determined by such an atrocious call.

"Our kids make a play to end the game, then we deserve it," he said. "The umpire made it by himself. The kid was out at second base. We made the play. We win that game.

"Our kids were on an emotional high because we made a play to win the game. The umpire took it away from us, and we drop off a cliff. That's a tough situation to be in."

A photo of the play appeared to show that Lovely may have a legitimate complaint. Culjat's glove was clearly down, blocking the bag, as Mittan dove into a cloud of dust toward second.

Culjat, who scored the lone St. Albert run on a two-out single by Jon Meyerring in the bottom of the second inning, said after the game that he knew he had made the tag.

TREYNOR ? St. Albert thought it had won.

Webby, SASF great to hear both of you post without emotion about a good HS baseball game. Now Arbitr8, I have spoken to multiple people today that were at the game that said the play was bang, bang. So do you really think the umpire screwed you? I heard the same thing happened at first earlier in the game when a SA kid almost got picked off. Umpires have to make quick decisions and they are not perfect and they do not have an agenda to screw your team. Now after reading the article in the paper, I am really bothered by two things

1. SA coach's comments came off badly. First he whined then about the umpiring and then said his team was mentaly weak and fell apart. He needed to take a few moments before talking to reporters to compose himself and think about what should be said after a hard luck loss like that.

2. The reporter ????? what the hell was this FOX NEWS ?? we have an un-named source with a picture clearly showing the runner was out??? WTF.... I am not a journalism major but I am quite sure this type of story would not pass. This was not suppose to be an editorial where the reporter gives his opinion. Just give us the story, the facts... don't infer the existence of a magic photograph.

Now getting back to the game, I also have heard from multiple sources that Hecker's velocity was considerably down from earlier in the year but he still pitched a whale of a game. Congrats to the Falcons on a solid year and good luck to Treynor at the state tournament.

Webby, SASF great to hear both of you post without emotion about a good HS baseball game. Now Arbitr8, I have spoken to multiple people today that were at the game that said the play was bang, bang. So do you really think the umpire screwed you? I heard the same thing happened at first earlier in the game when a SA kid almost got picked off. Umpires have to make quick decisions and they are not perfect and they do not have an agenda to screw your team. Now after reading the article in the paper, I am really bothered by two things

1. SA coach's comments came off badly. First he whined then about the umpiring and then said his team was mentaly weak and fell apart. He needed to take a few moments before talking to reporters to compose himself and think about what should be said after a hard luck loss like that.

2. The reporter ????? what the hell was this FOX NEWS ?? we have an un-named source with a picture clearly showing the runner was out??? WTF.... I am not a journalism major but I am quite sure this type of story would not pass. This was not suppose to be an editorial where the reporter gives his opinion. Just give us the story, the facts... don't infer the existence of a magic photograph.

Now getting back to the game, I also have heard from multiple sources that Hecker's velocity was considerably down from earlier in the year but he still pitched a whale of a game. Congrats to the Falcons on a solid year and good luck to Treynor at the state tournament.

I was at the game and the play in question was not as bang bang as your sources have said. The Treynor player was clearly out and the Nonpareil reporter stated a photo which they must have seen clearly showed the player was out. A picture is not an opinion but actually a fact. There were 2 or 3 photographers sitting up in the scorers area so I imagine someone took the picture in question and showed it to the reporter sitting next to them.

And to answer your question "yes" the umpire made a terrible game changing call, the play was not even close.

I have no idea about any agenda nor would I speculate on that.

Sorry, I do not get the Nonpareil... why then doesn't the article reference a picture in the paper. That's all I am saying. I am even more shocked if the picture is in the paper.

You win some you lose some...that's sports. Congrats to Treynor. I'm sure he was out, however, it could of also been decided from the mound in the 7th inning too. I've been on that mound and I know how rattled you can get on a missed call and lose focus. Oh well onto football!!

As for the POY...you know my pick, AL / Alex Crowl. I believe I've already stated my facts. Just look at the competition factor, head to head was a split and his batting stats are better. He was also clearly AL MVP and they would have been in trouble without him. SA.....would have been about in the same postion as they ended up without Hecker.
This post was edited on 7/18 3:08 PM by webby22

Congrats go out to Alex Crowl....CB POY!!!! Maybe they actually read my posts. LOL

Congrats also to all the players mentioned.

2013 is right around the corner, anyone care to enlighten us on the CB teams and their outlooks for 2013-

Just my brief insights, which usually don't mean much!

CBSA - New coach, return a lot, maybe city's best in Lewis?
CBAL- Lost CBPOY in Crowl, but have nice pieces returning, perhaps best pitcher in Sean Smith
CBLC- Always competitive, do they have any pitching? Catcher is a STUD
CBTJ- I called it last year that they would beat a CB team, and they were close in a lot of games, do they turn the corner

TJ is an interesting team this year...

I could see them finishing ahead of SBL, West, and AL in the conference race. They were more competitive against some of the better teams last year, but they are also facing the low-end pitchers. If teams start using their top of the line guys... how will they respond?

I still saw no arm strength in the program out of the kids I saw throw, so teams are still going to put some runs on the board against them... but defensively they are MUCH improved... so games shouldn't get out of hand like they have in the past which leaves the window open for an upset here and there along with just being all-around better than some of the teams.

AL might have lost too much due to graduation to stay ahead of TJ in the race for CB.

Watched the AL vs SA game last night. It was a decent game. Smith threw strikes and did a nice job on the mound for the lynx. If not for a missed played flyball by the centerfielder, he would have had a shutout. For the Falcons, the catcher Lewis is really solid. I was amazed how small the kids were for both teams. Not sure why the grass on the infield was so thick and long. It hurt both teams because anything hit on the ground, unless hit very hard couldn't make it out of the grass. It took away from a nice opening season game. Good Luck to both teams.

This post was edited on 5/21 12:25 PM by 3shooter3

This post was edited on 5/21 12:37 PM by 3shooter3

Did anyone that posts on here happen to catch the LC vs SBL game last night? The score is on the association website, but there is not a write-up about it in any of the papers...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT