ADVERTISEMENT

CB and SWI Baseball 2012

May 7, 2004
I'm bored and need a baseball fix anyone wanna start with share predictions, views, top teams, top players etc?

I will take a crack at the two MRC schools, I don't know as much about LC (and what I do think about them, we don't agree on
tongue.gif
) and I know nothing about SA.

CBAL brings back some decent sticks with Crowl, Brownlee, Gann, and to a lesser extent Smith and Dean. They lose a lot of innings on the mound with Webster and Leisinger gone. The returning arms got a lot of innings, but didn't exactly put up shining numbers. I see them finishing between 3rd and 6th in the conference. I don't think they will have the pitching to win pitchers duels, but if they can out-slug their competition they could make a decent showing. They will definitely finish ahead of TJ, but an improving West squad could sneak up on them if they don't play well and find some arms to replace Webster and Leisinger

CBTJ is likely in for another very long season. They played a lot of younger kids, but without success, experience isn't always necessarily a good thing. I wouldn't be shocked to see TJ go winless again next year unless they get by some weaker small schools in the area like a Riverside or a Griswold. I did get to see DM North play last year, and I think TJ would have at least split, if not swept, a DH from them though... If they taste a little bit of success next year, they might be able to climb out of the cellar in 3 years when last years Frosh are Seniors.

CB and SWI Baseball 2012

My 2 cents worth-

CBAL - Class of the city the past 2 seasons and will continue into 2012, losing Webster will hurt as he brought a confidence with him that not many have. Brownlee, Crowl, and Gann are legit and can CRUSH. Crowl is decent on the mound and heard that he is playing Perfect Game spring league so that should help. Need to find some more arms, but Coach Larsen gets the most out of his teams.

CBLC - Well coached, nice returning pieces in Krammer and Simmons. Had a solid 9th and JV program. Hard to replace Toole and Larison, but Coach Toole can do it.

CBSA - Return 8 of 9 position players and 7 of top 8 on Mound. Loss of Van Soelen will hurt, but return of Hecker(City's Best???) and Culjat (both JD and Tucker) will off set. Pieces are in place for a big run, will have to see how Coach Lovely and staff handle expectations this year.

CBTJ - Return every inning P from last year except 21 1/3, and return every run and hit from last year except 10 and 20 respectively. The only problem is that what they are returning equaled 0 wins last year. Coach Heath is a good coach, just happens to be in a really tough situation. TJ will upset one of the cities big 3 this year!!

Re: CB and SWI Baseball 2012

Flames...I agree that TJ should finally break through and win a game in CB this year. I think Hecker is a very talented player overall, but I feel that one of the big 3 from AL deserve the honor of the best player in CB. The pitching that they hit against is on a different level compared to some of the staffs that SA faces. Pitching-wise, I would say that Hecker is the best pitcher in CB, and he's on the best staff in the city. Hitting-wise, I'd lean towards one of the guys from AL. As for LC, I think they will have a below-average year for their standards, but like you said Coach Toole can find a way to replace Eric Toole and Zach Larrison. I think he will salvage an above .500 year out of this team.

So Monday May 21st the Lynx travel over the hill for the season opener with the Falcons. I assume both Aces will start. Will it be a slugfest or pitching dual? Predictions? I will get the ball rolling here,I see two pretty evenly matched teams, at this point in the season, I give the nod to the Falcons because of the home field advantage.

Sounds like a fun way to start the season for both teams, assuming Hecker throws for SA - who is ALs ace-. I think both teams will be solid offensively, AL will probably more game ready as they've been hitting as a team since November, but when you have a school of 1600+ taking on a school of 170+ students you have those built in advantages. I'll take the Lynx in a 4-2 ball game, as pitching holds out, new bats affect the young Falcons, and a few errors turn the tide for the Lynx.

Who does TJ and LC open with?

Well the long ball and errors were the story line for this game. Both starting pitchers threw well Hecker with 11 K's and Crowl with 9 I bekieve. Neither pitcher got much help in the field with typical first game mistakes on both teams. Nick Gannt and Ben Hecker picked up where they left off last year with a couple of 2 run Homers.

CBSA played with 2 freshman in the line up and minus both Coljat brothers ( who haven't had many practices due to their participation at he State track meet.) I still have questions and concerns for this year edition of Falcon baseball but I think coach Lovely has another good team that has the potential to make a lot of noise later in the year.

Forgot to add Falcons won 9 - 5
This post was edited on 5/22 8:08 AM by SASF

I thought besides the 2nd inning SA played extremely clean baseball, intense game though, I left early to catch LC/Treynor......not a lot of hitting both teams threw the ball well Treynor lost in the bottom of 9 4-3.

What's on tap for tonight city wide???

AL beat Atlantic 3-0. Sean Smith threw a great game, only one hit. Team seemed more focused and ready to play ball.

CBSA 10 runned Logan Magnolia, John Merring ( a name you will hear a lot about the next 4 years) tossed a No - No.

Congrats to TJ on breaking a 2 year losing streak by knocking off AL last night!!

LC knocked off Tri-Center last night and SA beat Glenwood. Big match-up in the city tonight SA@ LC, who you got???

I'm gonna go LC 8 SA 2.

First Week of the Season is in the books, early season city rankings......
Teams-
1) SA 4-0 Week, wins over CBAL, LOMA, GLENWOOD and LC. Harlan and Denison on tap.
2) LC 3-4 Week, rough end to a solid start of the week, beat a solid TREYNOR team
3) AL 2-2 Week, hard to predict the young LYNX, will get better as year goes
4) TJ 1-3 Week, big win over AL. Next 7 game stretch looks brutal

CBSA came away from a very prestigious tourny this weekend with 2 solid wins. 11- 1 now about a 1/3 of the way throuhg the season. Falcons have 2 intercity games this week, Weds face off against LC and then on Friday TJ comes to Chuck Wolever Field. So far the Falcons are undefeated in city play any opinions on this weeks games?

CBSA is playing well I'll take them both times this week in city games. All depends on how deep there pitching staff is. What else is on tap for the Falcons this week? How about the rest of the city.

Anyone care to offer up CITY POY rankings?

Where does TJ play? I'm going to watch them take on wildly inconsistent and shorthanded Fremont-Mills.

They play at City Park. Just North of Wilson Jr. high, about 19th and Ave. J believe.

Originally posted by SASF:

Weather permitting the Falcons take on TJ, any thoughts?
Depends on who each team puts on the mound. TJ has played well against some of the better competition, but then again has had some lackluster performances as well. St. Albert got a wake up call against Mo. Valley (who really is a pretty solid team.)

The pitching could likely be Ben Hecker vs. Clayton Starner. Both appear to be the aces on their squads.

I'll take the St. Albert bats....TJ will struggle hitting Hecker.

St. Albert 9 CB TJ. 1

Hecker - .415 19RBI 3HR 3 3b 7 2b 5-5sb. 5-0 1.42era 42k 15bb.

Crowl -. .507 26RBI 5HR 2 3b 7 2b 3-3sb. 3-2. 3.61era 31k 8bb

Hecker vs Crowl pitching stats. Combined records of teams Crowl pitched against and Hecker pitched against.

Crowl: W-73 L-29

Hecker: W-52 L-49

When on the mound, appears Crowl has faced tougher competition, could be why the records are different. Could also mean he's faced better pitching on the offesive side.

Hecker 1-0. Vs Crowl, wasn't even a close match- up in their head to head match up. In fact Hecker took Crowl deep.

AL - 1700 Students

SA - 164 Students

Hecker 5-0 against schools all 2-8x bigger than SA

Crowl 2-2 against schools smaller than AL and 1-0 against a school comparable size

Hecker - Best player(there are some others on SA that can make same statement about) on best team in City
Crowl - Best player(Smith and Brownlee are no slouches) on AL

State Tourney Appearances

Hecker 3

Crowl 0

Does the POY criteria include total contributions to the team or just individual stats?

And on a side note, and maybe to juice this thread up a little. If you are a player in Jr. High or High School, or a parent of player........... What would you choose? Play for a bigger 3A or 4A team and have a pretty good year that ends usually with a 1st or 2nd round playoff loss; or play for St. Albert and go to the finals year in and year out in multiple sports? Thoughts?

I know...I was at the AL SA game this year. I know Hecker had 11 K's, 8 of which was from AL's 7-9 hitters. Now wait on the size comparision. Either we use this or not!! I know you've posted on here for a few years now and I'm sure you've read the arguments over the enrollement differences. My opinion on that remains the same, 4A type athletes (Brown, Waters...maybe Hecker..etc) should EASILY dominate at the 1A - 2A level or at least have an advantage over teams playing better competition. So far this year, given their overall records, which you can't deny, it shows regardless of the enrollment sizes factored in, AL has played a much tougher schedule!!!!! Given this fact, Crowl may be hitting 650 if he was playing for SA. Also, past POY winners bare out you don't have to be on the city's best team to win it. AL has that distinction the past couple of years and you know who won it. There are a number of other good players within the city...but it still comes down to Crowl or Hecker.

Again...if Crowl was playing at SA he'd have the same amount of appearences at the State Tourney. Which team would be hurting more without these two guys?? AL or SA?? I think you know the answer to your criteria question. It's ALWAYS about individual stats. They NEVER factor in multiple positions played, leadership or level of competition. It almost ALWAYS centers around hitting stats.

Your side note. IF you can afford to send your kid to SA and they're a pretty good athlete, meaning you might get to play, going to the state tournament year in and year out is hard to pass up. You MAY find this hard to believe.....not EVERY kid playing sports in CB wants to attend SA. In fact your side note demonstrates the type of "we're better than you" attitude that turns most off about SA.

Well if 4a athletes should dominate at the 1a / 2a level then, again just by going off that line of thinking, Crowl and AL should have easily handled little 1a SA at the start of the season.

Of course enrollment size matters......1700+ students to field 9 positions vs 164 students to field 9 positions, it's completely ignorant to say it doesn't!!! Kids that can specialize in 1 sport vs kids that have to play 3-4. Having a full roster at hitting that starts before Thanksgiving vs nt having a full roster till the 4th week of official practice.

Ignorance is bliss I guess!!

If enrollment is relevant, than you need to acknowlege the population base from which you create your enrollment, CB has...what 70K not to mention Omaha, Glenwood. Ask Tri-Center, Red Oak, Riverside, Logan, Griswold, Walnut, Bedford or Sidney...if they feel SA has an advantage when it comes to pollulation size from which to draw athletes. Those are the teams you'll need to get by to advance. Does strike a little fear in ya!! Year to year it's different, I remember AL swept SA last year. Here we go again.....your athletes work harder than AL's!! Ignorance is BLISS........DENIAL might be worse.

Listen I don't have a horse in this race, but you can't be implying that the164 best athletes in CB choose to got to CBSA. You throw out the statement that 4a athletes should dominate 1a/2a competition, I refuted that. You then throw out population base, I kinda sorta refuted that in the opening sentence of this paragraph. You'll probably throw recruiting, divine right, and who knows what other cockamamie excuses that you and the rest of CB have thought of out as arguments.

Is it work ethic, coaching, or overall talent??? Who knows, but I threw out overall stats to compare your 2 choices as POY, then instead of looking at it from an unbiased view, you tried to dimish a prep athletes feats by saying he plays against lesser competition.

Originally posted by webby22:

Does strike a little fear in ya!! Year to year it's different, I remember AL swept SA last year. Here we go again.....your athletes work harder than AL's!! Ignorance is BLISS........DENIAL might be worse.
Webby!! I was worried about you, you have been awful quite this year, I thought my last post might get you back in your old form, nice to see your still hanging around. Where is 3 shooter 3, have you heard from him lately.

Webby and SASF

You guys crack me up!! Both players are deserving of POY so far. The decision for POY should be from the 4 city coaches and the daily nonpareil sports writers. Put the stats aside and the decision should be about, which player would you build a team around. Just my opinion of course.

Just 60 more days until football season starts!!

Go Jackrabbits!!

SASF, I hear you are asking about me.. I am here and I must say that I miss these crazy squabbles on this message board. Wow, where do I start. First let me say that both Crowl and Hecker are deserving of the award. Both hit the ball really well and both are key pitchers for their respective teams, but neither is a dominant pitcher. In fact I am not sure that Smith isn't the best starter in the city. I hope in the return game, both Smith and Hecker throw I am not going to get into the size debate between SA and AL because the only size question that is important on here is that most posters have an inflated ego's. (Flames, Webby, SASF and CBSPORTSFAN are the exhibits to this argument)

Now it is official, this is a true CB Baseball Thread, welcome back you guys. You know shooter I was going to throw Smith into the mix, I was very impressed by his ability to spot his fast ball, we commented on his performance during the broadcast a lot, good solid pitcher in my mind and he was the only one to take Hecker deep that game.

Now as far as my ego goes.....which one are you talking about I have 4 of them:)

Shooter......way too funny!!! Just ask CBSPORTSFAN he'll tell ya just how GREAT I was. :) I thought after last year I'd never come back....I guess it's hard to stay away. I do agree both are good players and either could win it. I could just leave it at that....but that's no fun!!

All CBSPORTSFAN ever talks about is how great "He" was!!! Now on to next mondays game. Who should the coaches throw in this game? How important is this game to the coaches? I know it is important to the players, but will they throw their aces? The mythical city championship is on the line. Also a great venue to showcase POY .

The City 'ship is not on the line. SA is undefeated in city w/ 2 games left against AL and TJ. AL had 2 city losses, LC has 3 and The Jackets have 4. AL has to beat SA and SA also has to lose to TJ, just for there to be a 2 way tie for city 'ship between AL and SA.

AL is paying for a high seeding for districts and SA opens up district play the following Saturday. Both teams have bigger things to prepare for.

SASF, I know what you mean.. They both had tired arms in the 70's, not from pitching to much, it was from patting themselves on the back, so not much has changed... I have to admit, they were both pretty good players at AL. Both pitched, talked trash and played for the 2nd best team in the Omaha Metro conference. I can't remember who beat them for the conference championship.... oh yeah it was TJ.... By the way, either of these guys would have been the best pitcher in the city if they were playing today.. Baseball is really not very good compared how it used to be in this town.

I agree! and not because I am from that era. Baseball has declined over the years in CB. Not just rel-iving the "Glory Days" either, if you look at the talent of the teams in the 70's, 80's, which is ancient history to kids now a days, the level of compitition was much higher.

I can recall the total dominence of the TJ teams that were a permenant fixture at the state tourney every year, and the number of D-1 players was mind boggeling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT