ADVERTISEMENT

A great way to handle a problem with a post is to

Just trying to keep it real printit.

I would add if I were a parent at any school and a new kid transferred in I would hold my AD and superintendents feet to the fire to make damn sure the new family met every last rule. If there was any hint of Dad living in an apartment while Mom was still in another town with the rest of the family I would be in that office the next day demanding answers. If it turns out something is not legit it could cost your kid their entire season. The state could and would wipe out any game the new kid played in. Possibly costing you playoff berths or seeding in year end tournaments. You could ruin your kids whole season over some new kid coming in and not playing by the rules. Its not the parents of the other schools they play that should be concerned, its the parents of the school the kid transferred to that should be more concerned. People get fired for things like that. If I were an AD or Superintendent I would be going above and beyond in any situation like that so my ass didn't get hung out to dry. If you are a parent in a school and a new kid comes in and is eligible right away verify the information. Don't trust your leaders, hold them accountable, make sure they did it the right way. In today's environment there are plenty of people wanting to damage other schools and would love to turn someone in. Dot your I's and cross your T's or it could be your kid that suffers in the end.

The whole thing smacks of discrimination. How many students are kept from participation in music contests because they opened enrolled into a district known to have an outstanding music department. How about speech contestants? Are they banned from competition for 90 days? I think not. Communities with more than one high school can set their own rules on eligiblities? What's with that? Wonder how many times the association has threatened action and has relented because lawsuits were threatened.
The rule needs to be knocked in the head and put to rest. Only exists for those who don't want to do the work to improve their programs.Old man's rule.
The open enrollment rule came about as a means for parents to enroll their students into a district that meet their expecations of improving their students quality of life. So let's punish them for doing just that.

This post was edited on 3/9 8:24 AM by Voicefromthestands

This post was edited on 3/9 8:26 AM by Voicefromthestands

Originally posted by 440runner:
Been watching this with interest. A few factual points.

1. Berkley Grimm. Transferred to Regina before senior year and played baseball for the summer. This was before the 90 school day rule went into effect, several years ago you could transfer, play a sport but not be eligible for varsity games, and then be eligible for the next sport. Great player, Regina wins 2A state championship with or without him.

2. Julian Martinez. Foreign exchange student, who knew he could play football. Ended up being Great player, but regina wins 1A state championship with or without him.

3. Matt McBeth. Transferred to Regina his sophomore year, lived with Regina family, but sat out the required 90 school days as any other student would have to. .
Martinez was a foreign exchange student, like I am a Regina fan.

McBeth lived with Riley Dixon's family. Not somebody who he is related to. That is skirting he issue/line a bit.

At least he kids at WB seem to be playing by the book, so I read it. Then again maybe they are not. Oh well.
In this little game of Show and Tell, nobody wins nobody loses (unless you are not a Regina kid)

At least he kids at WB seem to be playing by the book, so I read it. Then again maybe they are not.

It would be a different book then I read. It appears that one student followed the 90 day transfer rule and that is the one that you think skirted the issue. I would think two separate high schools in the same season and two separate living places would be skirting a little more then sitting out the required 90 days.

Go Eagle, do you know how to read? My post said Matt McBeth lived with regina family...it doesn't say his family..it says a Regina Family. So what if the Regina Family was named Dixon? Who cares what family it was, HE SAT OUT 90 DAYS! He played by the rules!! Your post about Martinez doesn't even make sense, I have no idea what you are saying on that one. Try reading my post without your I hate regina glasses on and you might be surprised what you learn. 90% of that post had nothing to do with regina.

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:

It would be a different book then I read. It appears that one student followed the 90 day transfer rule and that is the one that you think skirted the issue. I would think two separate high schools in the same season and two separate living places would be skirting a little more then sitting out the required 90 days.
Now while you are technically telling the truth about the kid living with another family and sitting 90 days, you fail to mention that he was a sophomore who played JV the entire football season and had no shot at playing Varsity that season anyways.

I've never been one to complain about transfers, open enrollers, recruits, or whatever you want to call them. I do get what you're saying Cid, it looks very bad when a kid can jump ship mid season and join a better team. But again, if you have a problem with it, bring it up with the IHSAA. I just find it hard to point fingers anywhere else. Kinda like when big business uses loopholes to get out of paying taxes. Not right, but can't blame em...

I will leave the reporting people to others. Similar to getting reported for selling bad supplements or I am sure items at Regina like the steroid letter. Does it look bad? I would think so, do things like this usually back fire? We shall see. It's just good to see some of the most vocal people turn quiet when they face questions on one situation when others have faced similar questions, answered them and didn't run and hide for 5 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT