ADVERTISEMENT

A great way to handle a problem with a post is to

You can probably interchange any public school especially the ones that the drum bangers on this site support with WB. WB just happens to be close, yaps a lot about private schools and currently appears to be a little bit of a beneficiary of some high profile transfers. Oh and when this was pointed out closed up shop on this board and went home.

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
I don't have any secrets, my job is to send my kids through the program and have them develop into quality human beings. I believe that if Columbus called they would be welcome with open arms. Heck a few years ago their was a school that was getting ready to pass a bond issue,(for you private school types that is when a school can seriously upgrade the facility by putting it on the tax payers of the school district whether you have kids there or not, definitely not an advantage for the public schools) this school happened to be about 8 miles east of Regina and their head football coach, activities director, strength coach(didn't know public schools could have one of those, thought it was only rich private schools) and some school board members toured the weight room at Regina, an open door was extended and all questions were answered. I always wondered if the same courtesy would be extended if the roles were reversed.

My advice to people wanting to see what the difference may be would be to have their kid sign up for the summer weight lifting program at Regina, it is open to the public, they do charge all people $'s to join though, no bond issues to pay for all of this. Maybe then you could see what some of the difference might be.
You can throw the bond issue around all you want - you make the choice to send your kids to private school and pay extra, you can't have your cake and eat it too. With all the kids from Regina that are in Iowa City soccer clubs (that cost 1k's of dollars a year) I have little sympathy for the "woe is me" stuff.

I believe Solon did beat Regina this year (and Solon had no transfers playing). I also believe Regina beat Xavier (4A runner-up last year and 3A semi this year).

Many times the AD or HC = the strength coach.

For the Regina crowd harping on the WB kid, why is okay to CHOOSE to send your kids to a private school, but not okay to CHOOSE what public school to send your kids to?

rk: from reading along I believe it has to do with the playing Varsity for 2 different schools in less than 3-1/2 weeks coupled with the apartment & sister still @ WL.

Definatly not an ideal situation that seems shady on the outside, but it was not the only transfer they have been slinging mud at

Are we going to keep a tally on the mud slinging? That should be entertaining. Any estimates on what the count would be on that one?

As far as the bond issues go it is mentioned to dispel the "woe is me" public school disadvantage and perhaps to point out that there are advantages and disadvantages to both public and private. One of the things that I find interesting is the drum bangers who only look at the advantages at private schools while largely ignoring any challenges that they may face. Their insistence that the program is built only on location and private school status is a disservice to the kids who put forth the effort, the coaches who coach and the parents who support the schools. If it were all about location the 90's wouldn't have happened and Waterloo Columbus would be a powerhouse.

So people who disagree with you are called drum bangers? What are the people who support private schools called? You also want to keep a tally of mud slinging. Are those some of the great values you learn in private schools?

There seem to be so many different variables that exist in the private vs public school debate. Some of the advantages are for public schools, some are for private schools. I don't think there is any credible way to calculate the advantages vs disadvantages outside of records. Since the entire point of the classification system is to classify similar schools together, maybe we should throw the multiplier talk out the window and just go to 2 associations. That would seem the most fair. You could have privates competing with privates, and small town Iowa schools who are struggling competing with small town schools who are struggling.

This post was edited on 2/27 2:58 PM by rkhemp

Cid - do you define supporting the school as those that choose to enroll their kids at said school? If so i guess all this is mute.

I would think that enrolling your student in a private school is choosing to support that school. Not sure how that applies to this situation. But my attention hasn't really gone to this thread since some have decided that don't want to play the game when the target doesn't fit their liking.

As do I, it's some of the others that took their ball and went home that have caused me to lose interest. I hope that I haven't run and hid when there have been less than flattering things said about the school I support.

As do I, it's some of the others that took their ball and went home that have caused me to lose interest. I hope that I haven't run and hid when there have been less than flattering things said about the school I support.
there is a difference in being inquisitive and being a daft nuisance.
you teetered on both in this convo. If Blame of WBBF say its legal, who are you or I to judge otherwise? WB has never been known as a school that skirts the rules before. Clayton Ridge has heard how they have recruited for years. We have not done anything like that. Private and Public will never see eye to eye. Lets just face it.

Blame never answered the questions, he ducked them and cried to get the post removed in an attempt to cover up what happened. Because, legal or not, it looks pretty bad to most people when a kid hops schools mid-season from a poor team to a good team by using the loophole of getting an apartment on their own.

The nuisance came when he was hanging on the 'legal' aspect. As someone who has cast many stones in his day he should expect to face some questions with a mid season transfer obtained by a high school student getting their own apartment. Much the same way I would expect questions if an all state lineman were to show up at Regina, sorry I should use another example that one has happened recently in the area.

The nuisance came when he was hanging on the 'legal' aspect. As someone who has cast many stones in his day he should expect to face some questions with a mid season transfer obtained by a high school student getting their own apartment. Much the same way I would expect questions if an all state lineman were to show up at Regina, sorry I should use another example that one has happened recently in the area.

Or a offensive lineman moving from Pekin and living with the running back's family. That might be an interesting scenario also, don't you think?

Originally posted by Pinehawk:
Blame never answered the questions, he ducked them and cried to get the post removed in an attempt to cover up what happened. Because, legal or not, it looks pretty bad to most people when a kid hops schools mid-season from a poor team to a good team by using the loophole of getting an apartment on their own.
a) said kid is 17 years old
b) he is not "on his own"
c) the WB admins did their due diligence and everything is right AND legal with the scenario. Period. end of story.

having spoken with BlameIt on this topic a few times, I can guarantee you one thing that is wrong with the above post: neither he or myself complained to Luke Feddersen about the post being deleted. I am a man and can handle criticism. Blame seemed to get a bit too hot under his collar. Looking back on it, he and I answered everything we felt needed to be addressed.

It's funny how you won't let this go, but are quick to move away from similar scenarios when they are brought up to you as they pertain to Regina kids.

I could give 2 different examples, but that is not how I operate. Unlike you, I give people the benefit of doubt even if they are an OL living with the RB's family.

No, you or nobody else has given any Regina kids the benefit of the doubt. And, any attempts to deflect from West Branch's recruiting efforts and their ability to walk the line of the rules is transparent. You can try to point out other situations (from years ago that you know very little about), but it doesn't change the fact that West Branch has added 4 football transfers/recruits in the past two seasons.
WB certainly isn't in the position to cast stones anymore.

You can try to point out other situations (from years ago that you know very little about), but it doesn't change the fact that West Branch has added 4 football transfers/recruits in the past two seasons.
WB certainly isn't in the position to cast stones anymore.
OK, let's finish this once and for all:

1) I know 100% of the scenario that happened "years ago" that you are bringing up. I lived through it, bro.
2) When you are equating families/kids who have CHOSEN to move to a different town with recruiting, you are lost, dazed, and confused. (additionally, the WB kid who moved from WB to Regina and back had to sit 90 days. So shove that up your pipe and smoke it)

3) Look up the definition of transfer and then look up the definition of recruit. They have a distinct difference.

By the way, another family moved to WB a few weeks back. Their 8th grade son is 6'3, 190 pounds and a stud athlete. They are building a house here once they sell their old home. Is that illegal recruiting by the guy who will build their house, or by the family for recruiting the builders? You seem to be the expert, Pinehawk. Help me out with that one.

Another kid moved in a couple weeks ago with his dad and stepmom who live in WB. Is that 'recruiting' too?

He knew he had to sit 90 days, so he left school practically the day after the State Championship. Another varsity level school hopper. With all these new recruits, West Branch is going to find themselves competing in 2A pretty soon...

He knew he had to sit 90 days, so he left school practically the day after the State Championship. Another varsity level school hopper. With all these new recruits, West Branch is going to find themselves competing in 2A pretty soon...
I am guessing Berkley Grimm isn't a varsity level school hopper.
Nor is Julian Martinez
Nor is Matt McBeth

If I were WBBF, I'd just bow out gracefully. You are baiting him at this point.

Well, I hope the IHSAA takes a closer look at the Cooper Koenig situation and doesn't just accept the transfer eligibility checklist that WB submitted as fact. Because if followed up on, this situation seems to go against IHSAA guidelines.

From the Transfer Rule Guidance Document:

"Bottom line...don't let a student participate solely
because he lists an address in your district. Verify the information indicated above to
ensure the student and his parents (or custodial parent in the case of a split family)
have indeed completed a bona fide change in residence into your district before he is
allowed to participate at the varsity level.

The principal or superintendent of the receiving school must assume all responsibilities
in establishing eligibility of the incoming student, as described below. Before any
consideration should be given, it must be certain that the parents have made a bona
fide change of residence, meaning that all of their household goods have been removed
from their previous residence and transferred to their new residence; that the parents
actually reside day and night in their new home; that no attempts are made in any way
to circumvent the meaning of the transfer rule."

Transfer Guidance

Welcome back, I am fairly certain that the Regina kids that you have mentioned have been addressed on multiple occasions. I don't believe I have ignored threads about them and if I have it wasn't intentional. Fairly certain that neither Grimm or McBeth played half of a varsity season in one school and then finished the season with another school. I am not sure about Martinez because I am not certain they have varsity football in Australia. All 3 of those students followed the "rules and were legal" so I guess they should never come up again because that is the standard that we are being asked to follow in the WB situation. It is interesting to read what Pine listed for the transfer rules. So all of his stuff and his parents stuff has been moved from the house in WL? Did they move his sisters stuff as well? Pretty confusing. I do like the getting out in front on the other people moving into the district. Will cut down on some of the questions as these 'studs' miraculously appear on rosters. Giving you a heads up as someone who has had to break down rosters for some of the more out spoken posters, they will start to ask where these kids come from, I had people asking about kids who decided to go out for football as a Junior for the first time, only played in blow outs and I had to explain that the kid had multiple family members from the school and who had been at Regina since elementary......so be ready for that, and by the way I answered for each of the kids that they asked about, I didn't get hot under the collar and walk away.

Well, I hope the IHSAA takes a closer look at the Cooper Koenig situation and doesn't just accept the transfer eligibility checklist that WB submitted as fact. Because if followed up on, this situation seems to go against IHSAA guidelines.

because he lists an address in your district. Verify the information indicated above to
ensure the student and his parents (or custodial parent in the case of a split family)
have indeed completed a bona fide change in residence into your district before he is

The principal or superintendent of the receiving school must assume all responsibilities
in establishing eligibility of the incoming student, as described below. Before any
consideration should be given, it must be certain that the parents have made a bona
fide change of residence, meaning that all of their household goods have been removed
from their previous residence and transferred to their new residence; that the parents
actually reside day and night in their new home; that no attempts are made in any way
Yep. I am sure the WB administration is overlooking the letter of the above 'law'.
You are a genius for pointing that out!! Well done.

blah blah blah

As for CID, I am done even trying with you. BlameIt was on to something when he left this place. It's like a merry go round that never stops.

So hypothetically speaking he could be living with one parent in West Branch while the other parent and siblings stay in West Liberty as per the "split family" clause.....

So one kid switches schools in the middle of the year and has to sit 90 days, another kid moves into a new district and lives with a teammate, another kid lives in the district but switches schools for his Senior year, another kid switches schools mid year and gets an apartment with a "split family".......Nothing to see here. Been there done that.....

Recruiting?? Nope. Skirting the system?? Yep.

Move on

It is my understanding that it is not a split family and that clause wouldn't apply.

It is my understanding that it is not a split family and that clause wouldn't apply.
you are wrong and have no pot to piss in here, Friar.
By all means, though, keep trying. Sooner or later you stumble on to something. The unfortunate for you part, it will be something not at WB but in your own backyard.

If that were the case, I suppose I could just follow your lead and deny everything and ask for the post to be taken down. There would certainly be precedent for that.

I love how some folks state "fact" and really provide no fact other than what they have heard... if it is fact, please attach the documentation of said kid(s) and let that speak.

Will kids transfer\oe due to:
sports, yes.
family transfer, yes.
social issues, yes.
personal matters, yes.

The list can go on for far more than what I have listed. the only ones that truly, 100 % factually know the reason for said move, transfer, etc are the kid and the kid's family. Are the reasons right or wrong, yes - but that is somethign the kid and the kid's family decide.

I know a kid that transferred because they did not like the coach, Coach took a job in CR for a year then ended up getting hired as the Coach at the school the kid transferred to, so kid transferred back to original school.. Bottom line is "what are these kids learning" how will they apply this to college life & work later on?

"As for CID, I am done even trying with you. BlameIt was on to something when he left this place. It's like a merry go round that never stops."

I find it interesting that when the shots are coming in my direction like they have been for years, with things that are far more made up and inaccurate that the merry-go-round is good for people to jump on and have fun with. However when the shots are coming back at people over ONE specific situation the merry-go round is not as much fun. Jump off if you don't want to play anymore.
I would hate to see how you would react if you had to face the scrutiny that Regina has had to face for the previous 5 years. People have called for state rules to be put in place, separate classes to be made, allegations of cheating, unfair advantages, steroid letters from disgruntled fans, made up stories of recruiting etc. the list probably could continue. So spare me your pity party over answering questions about a kid who has two parents living together in another community while the kid has an apartment in WB and transfers in mid season and plays a varsity sport for two separate teams in the same season. Maybe people should have thought a little bit harder about pointing fingers and making allegations and comments about schools knowing that the door usually swings both ways. Don't want to join in the fun anymore now that your school is under the microscope? Sorry about that. Expect people to stop looking because you say so? Hasn't stopped the people from pointing at Regina. So unfortunately I don't think it's going away anytime soon.

If that were the case, I suppose I could just follow your lead and deny everything and ask for the post to be taken down. There would certainly be precedent for that.
I guess Catholics don't give people the benefit of doubt. WBBF told you he was not a whistle blower to Luke but I guess thats just not good enough for you. I am guessing when he said "in your own backyard" he was talking about the yard signs. Although those would be in the front yard so I guess he was way off base,

Geez, it's all legal, signs, apartments etc. it shouldn't be brought up again....I tell you it's legal just take my word for it and leave it alone.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

People talk a lot about an apartment and parental location and whether they are together, etc - is all this backed up by hard copy proof or just "I heard"? Also, if you are digging that deep about another town's residents, maybe you need to take a vacation.

I thought this was settled long ago -

Do private schools recruit - yes
Do public schools get OE's\Move in's - yes

Not really digging very deep, I have actually put forth little to no effort into this one. Some others have dug and yes it is "I heard" much the same as most issues on this board. The fun is that there are so many that have been on the receiving end of these "I heard" things that know the people involved that it really is pretty easy to put it all together, I like that vacation idea as well.

Been watching this with interest. A few factual points.

1. Berkley Grimm. Transferred to Regina before senior year and played baseball for the summer. This was before the 90 school day rule went into effect, several years ago you could transfer, play a sport but not be eligible for varsity games, and then be eligible for the next sport. Great player, Regina wins 2A state championship with or without him.

2. Julian Martinez. Foreign exchange student, who knew he could play football. Ended up being Great player, but regina wins 1A state championship with or without him.

3. Matt McBeth. Transferred to Regina his sophomore year, lived with Regina family, but sat out the required 90 school days as any other student would have to. It's not like he moved to Regina and lived with a family to skirt some rules, he sat his 90 days. Great player, Regina wins State Championship without him.

So, you have three kids over 9 years of the Marv Cook era that came in sometime after 7th grade and contributed to the program. Wow, they are really recruiting a ton of kids. If Cook, Dumont, Kannelis, Hinkel, Brinkman were really out there doing recruiting visits do you think they would have only got a whopping three kids? Let's all calm down. They have won with the majority of the kids being there from elementary school, or some families that come over in 7th grade to get away from the large schools or from parents who arena catholic but don't want to pay tuition until the kids are done with elementary school. It's not like they have brought in dozens of kids and that's the only reason they win.

I don't know the details on the WL kid, dont know them and don't care. If he is happier at WB more power to him and his family. I have no issue with families or kids doing what they feel is in their best interest to either Public or Private schools. Since when do we begrudge a family for doing what they think is best. Just because they lived in one district for the first 7-8 years of school that they have to stay there? Do they owe the school something? Why do we get mad at WB or Regina for taking kids that want to switch, is that a horrible thing to take a kid that wants to change? Nobody is dragging them to school or putting a gun to their head right? They want to be there right?As long as they play by the rules then more power to them. However, if the family did not move to WB, much like the Wilton kid last year, I would say the AD and Superintendent are hanging themselves out on a bit of a limb. The state is very clear, unless mom and dad are divorcing, or separating, living with one parent in an apartment while the rest of the family is still in the original district does not meet their standards and a 90 day sit out period would apply. The State will leave it to the school district to verify the move is legit. It's not like they have some athletic assoc police out there verifying this stuff. If at some point down the road it is determined it did not meet the requirements the school could have to forfeit any games the ineligible student participated in. No kid is worth the chance of that happening, so if they didn't meet the requirements WB has put their boys programs in danger IF they ever got caught, like I said, who is policing it? It's like taxes, you can cheat and maybe never get caught, but if you do it's gonna be ten times worse. It's really on the honor system and up to the AD and administration to verify. If they did not do their due diligence or are operating in a Grey area then they could suffer down the road if caught, I would assume this would put their job in jeopardy if they knowingly played a kid in an athletic event without absolutely verifying every detail. Could you imagine the outcry from parents and school board if you had to go back and forfeit games because some kid transferred in and was ruled ineligible after the fact? Heads would roll! I would assume the administration visiting the new home and verifying the whole family has moved would be part of this verification. Unless of course Mom and Dad are separated or divorcing. And....this happens all the time, everywhere, get over it. The best BB player in Iowa left Jeff to go to Linn Mar mid season but you can bet your bottom dollar that whole family was moved into the Linn Mar district before she played one minute and the administration verified everything first.

Bottom line WB needs to figure out how to beat the other public schools in class 1A before they get to concerned with what the neighbors to the South do. The last two years it has been Public schools beating them not private. The kid from Wilton didn't change that and a few kids from WL won't change that either.

ADVERTISEMENT