ADVERTISEMENT

A great way to handle a problem with a post is to

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
A great way to handle a problem with a post is to email me. I don't read every single post and every single thread. I do however check my email often. So instead of complaining about me and the job I do, take 30 seconds and send a freaking email.

Leaving a post up is not a personal attack FROM ME on a player or a coach. I've always said I'll remove posts from a coach/admin and basically have in every situation that I can ever recall. That policy won't change. But in the future, don't spend your time complaining here when I don't read every single post.

Luke, there was nothing in that post that wasn't true. And, far worse has been made up about other schools with no basis in fact and nothing was done about that. I can't believe you took that post down. Special treatment for Blame I guess.

I disagree with the decision but it is your board. The heat got to hot for some thin skinned people. If I complained about the made up stuff about Regina and asked for those posts to be removed the boards it would get pretty boring. This transfer stinks and while legal it is borderline, asking questions about it doesn't go to far.

And yes I noticed the 'outrage' and lack of answering the questions in a forthright way. Hiding behind outrage? Not for me.

The amount of people who complained to me was ridiculous. I can't win here because pretty much all those in the West Branch camp think I hate them and by taking down the post I piss everyone else off.

Luke, I am sympathetic to your position. I really am.
But, this is just another instance of West Branch manipulating the system. Bring in four big recruits to their sports programs in two years, then try to cover it up by having the post removed and hope everyone forgets about it.
I won't forget and I hope nobody else does either.

West Branch fans and others like to make up lies when the public/private school debate comes up, but meanwhile when presented with facts about public school recruiting/transfers/open enrollment, they run and hide and try to cover it up. Doesn't seem quite fair.

Luke, I will let you know I am not pissed at your decision to take the post down. The squeaky wheel got the oil and that's how it works. Transfers happen, some appear to be more legit then others. When Grimm transferred to Regina there were very legitimate concerns that caused it. Sports were of little to no concern at the time. It didn't stop the private bashers from bringing it up then and continuing to do so. Few if anyone asked or wanted to know the reasons why and I wouldn't have shared it if they did. It still gets brought up as 'proof' because there isn't a whole lot else for people to hang their hat on. So now it moves to WB where a string of coincidences seems to have occurred, when faced with the scrutiny that is far less then what Regina has faced they have chosen to mount the complaints and build up their outrage over the event. In my opinion it looks like the old school playground 'you can dish it out but you can't take it' situation. I expected better from them. I wouldn't like to see how they would respond to the lies, innuendo, fantasy, deep digging and presenting of opinions as facts that Regina has. I have taken personal shots directed at me and no complaints from me. It's a message board and not personal and I am confident in how I approach my posts on this board. The reality is this board would go crazy if the following scenario played out.

Mid season transfer
Kid has apartment in new town
Parents still live and work in other town
House in other town is not on the market(last I heard, last week)
Sister still at the other school and using house as address

And yes I am aware there is dissatisfaction with the other school

Regina has been jabbed at for someone transferring as a freshman, 7th grade transfers, foreign exchange students, kids who play little to not at all but did change schools. I would hope that the people who did some of those same things would be able to handle it when they are faced with a small amount of scrutiny. But it is what it is and not much will change. I will continue to hear that this is the year Regina falls, heck some have said a losing record is possible, some kids who didn't play much last year will step up and people will be looking for their names on previous years roster, people will jab at the coaching staff, location, recruiting, that they don't work any harder or smarter then anybody else so let's just get it fired up and get going. No complaints from me Luke.

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
Luke, I will let you know I am not pissed at your decision to take the post down. The squeaky wheel got the oil and that's how it works. Transfers happen, some appear to be more legit then others. When Grimm transferred to Regina there were very legitimate concerns that caused it. Sports were of little to no concern at the time. It didn't stop the private bashers from bringing it up then and continuing to do so. Few if anyone asked or wanted to know the reasons why and I wouldn't have shared it if they did. It still gets brought up as 'proof' because there isn't a whole lot else for people to hang their hat on. So now it moves to WB where a string of coincidences seems to have occurred, when faced with the scrutiny that is far less then what Regina has faced they have chosen to mount the complaints and build up their outrage over the event. In my opinion it looks like the old school playground 'you can dish it out but you can't take it' situation. I expected better from them. I wouldn't like to see how they would respond to the lies, innuendo, fantasy, deep digging and presenting of opinions as facts that Regina has. I have taken personal shots directed at me and no complaints from me. It's a message board and not personal and I am confident in how I approach my posts on this board. The reality is this board would go crazy if the following scenario played out.

Mid season transfer
Kid has apartment in new town
Parents still live and work in other town
House in other town is not on the market(last I heard, last week)
Sister still at the other school and using house as address

And yes I am aware there is dissatisfaction with the other school

Regina has been jabbed at for someone transferring as a freshman, 7th grade transfers, foreign exchange students, kids who play little to not at all but did change schools. I would hope that the people who did some of those same things would be able to handle it when they are faced with a small amount of scrutiny. But it is what it is and not much will change. I will continue to hear that this is the year Regina falls, heck some have said a losing record is possible, some kids who didn't play much last year will step up and people will be looking for their names on previous years roster, people will jab at the coaching staff, location, recruiting, that they don't work any harder or smarter then anybody else so let's just get it fired up and get going. No complaints from me Luke.
Cid - who got the apartment again?

From what I am being told by WB supporters is there is an apartment in WB being rented and there is a house in WL that isn't on the market to be sold. There may be several reasons for all of this and all may be very legitimate. Blame hung his hat on it all being 'legal' and didn't want to address the details very much. I didn't share the details initially until someone else did. I just know that if this was going on at the school 8 miles west of there an investigation would be started and the arrows would fly. As it stands now the original post has been taken down based on some objections from the WB crowd. I would hope they would return and share that the family including the sister is moving to WB or provide some clarity on the subject but it looks like the string of 'coincidences' and scrutiny has pushed them off the board at this time.

From what I am being told by WB supporters is there is an apartment in WB being rented and there is a house in WL that isn't on the market to be sold. There may be several reasons for all of this and all may be very legitimate. Blame hung his hat on it all being 'legal' and didn't want to address the details very much. I didn't share the details initially until someone else did. I just know that if this was going on at the school 8 miles west of there an investigation would be started and the arrows would fly. As it stands now the original post has been taken down based on some objections from the WB crowd. I would hope they would return and share that the family including the sister is moving to WB or provide some clarity on the subject but it looks like the string of 'coincidences' and scrutiny has pushed them off the board at this time.
Not trying to be an a## about this but you ask for clarity from the WB folks but then in your previous response regarding Grimm you state:

"Few if anyone asked or wanted to know the reasons why and I wouldn't have shared it if they did."

How do you expect someone to share information if you are not willing to do the same?

I really do not have a dog in this fight but I do know the WL family. The kid was simply upset with his basketball coach and made the decision to play somewhere else. He was never recruited by WB but rather made a quick impromptu decision. Not saying I agree with the kid's decision but that's all it was.

Because the reasons weren't as simple as 'had a disagreement with a coach' and involved things on a personal basis that had nothing to do with sports or belonged on a message board. They also didn't involve two separate residences being maintained by a family to get instant eligibility and avoiding the transfer rule. Grimm transferred and sat the time out and I believe feels he made the correct choice.

If I thought that this current issue had anything to do with family situations or things that have no business being on a sports message board I wouldn't have pushed the issue and if anything probably would have told others that pushed the issue that there were legitimate issue that led to the transfer and told them they should step back a little. There was also the issue of Blame and his 'legal' claims(it is) and his refusal to acknowledge that there is any appearance of an issue and that he had disclosed everything about the subject and he was outraged that it would even be questioned.

On a side note when the Grimm transfer occurred I did actually mention that it was a personal choice and not related to football.

CidHawk chooses not to accept what BlameIt typed, that is what this comes down to.

Why the hell does Blame or anybody have to come on to an internet message board to tell us anything? They don't. You are so focused on what you hear about Regina that you don't listen when people tell you what happens at their school. BlameIt has been a good poster on here for a couple of years but when he gives you step for step stuff about WB, and probably jeopardizing his credibility and persona by doing it you call him out.
You say you guys know some of the same people. Why not ask them about Blame and if he is an honest guy.
If he said its true, and he lives there than how the hell can you say otherwise? Its not like WB has won 5 consecutive state titles or anything.
What does he have to gain from lying about it?
If its legal, its right by schools. Do you really think WBHS is putting FB above the BOEE? Seems to me that WB probably needs some offensive linemen more than a QB in 2015 season. They lost Giese, St John, Miller, and Mackelrath. Thats 4 starters.
You are a freaking crybaby, Cid. That's what I think.

Crybaby is a new one for me. Would be interested to see what classifies as being a crybaby. Blame doesn't owe us anything, he is playing on the line, has the kid established residency? Yup, is it legal? Yup, did he tell the complete truth and answer the questions? Nope. A high school kid getting an apartment to transfer is legal, probably not a choice I would make for my child but I am sure there are reasons. Playing the role that Blame has through the years makes him open to this scrutiny. I have talked to those people, he is honest, he has had beers with me, I don't have a personal issue with him. Just how he has handled this situation is interesting.

Crybaby is a new one for me. Would be interested to see what classifies as being a crybaby. Blame doesn't owe us anything, he is playing on the line, has the kid established residency? Yup, is it legal? Yup, did he tell the complete truth and answer the questions? Nope. A high school kid getting an apartment to transfer is legal, probably not a choice I would make for my child but I am sure there are reasons. Playing the role that Blame has through the years makes him open to this scrutiny. I have talked to those people, he is honest, he has had beers with me, I don't have a personal issue with him. Just how he has handled this situation is interesting.
i know Blame.

that is a lie. I've never seen the guy drink an alcoholic beverage in his life.
I know every kid you are talking about in this scenario.
I also know all the administrators.
I know that they won't even allow the kid from SE Junior High to lift weights at WBHS anymore.
Do you think they're gonna let a kid fool them with his residence after not letting a kid lift weights here? Doubt it.

Perhaps I am mistaken on who Blame is, it has happened bfore, maybe it was just me that had beers. Do I think WB is being 'fooled' about the residence? No, I think it is all legal so there is no fooling going on. Is the family maintaining two residences to make this happen? That is what the scuttlebutt is. If it isn't the case then it could have been stated earlier and all this wouldn't be going on. Won't let the kid from SE lift 'anymore'? Interesting, stopping that while letting a mid season varsity transfer occur.

Interesting, stopping that while letting a mid season varsity transfer occur.
The kid who transferred to WB now LIVES in WB.

Get that through you freaking noggin, genius. Then we can move on. Until then, you're going to be stuck in neutral HERE.
IF the kid's family is trying to cheat the system, rest assured that the WB Admins and many residents are going to put a halt to it.

Myself and Mr BlameIt included.
Student-athletes, the students come first. WBHS education is more important than a WBHS football player, or wrestler, or basketball player, or track runner, or golfer, or volleyball player, or fine arts performer, etc.

I'd like to think the same about your favorite school also.

Football drives that town, probably more so than any other sport/school in 1A... Can't think of a more larger than life persona than Butch Pedersen

I am running the gamut on this... Crybaby to genius. I am not arguing whether the kid lives in WB, I don't think the parents are trying to cheat the system, they have followed this process legally. Maybe if you can answer the following for me and then maybe we can get out of neutral.
Does the kid live in WB?
Do the parents and sister still live in WL?
Does the family intend to all move to WB?
Who else lives in the apartment with the kid?

And please quit implying I am saying things about the values of your community.

I am running the gamut on this... Crybaby to genius. I am not arguing whether the kid lives in WB, I don't think the parents are trying to cheat the system, they have followed this process legally. Maybe if you can answer the following for me and then maybe we can get out of neutral.
Does the kid live in WB?
Do the parents and sister still live in WL?
Does the family intend to all move to WB?
Who else lives in the apartment with the kid?

And please quit implying I am saying things about the values of your community.
A little redundant and unnecessary I think. Does it matter if he lives there? If he does, does it matter if somebody else lives with him? Cid I understand that you hear the same crap about Regina/private transfers, but in my opinion if you are looking to point a finger at the kid, his family or the school system then I think you are misguided (same for all the private arguers).

He wanted to change schools so they went through all the legal channels to get it done, just like other student athletes have done on MANY occasions in the past and will do on MANY MORE occasions in the future. It really doesn't matter if the move is "legit" or not unless you're just looking for something to argue about. If you have a problem with it, bring it up with the IAHSAA, IGHSAU or the state (I guess I don't know who sets the parameters).

I should probably turn the other cheek on this one. I find it amusing that when there is scrutiny focused on people who like to point fingers at others that their response is to get defensive, complain to the administrators and basically take their ball and go home. This probably could have been stopped by answering the questions and saying that yes the kid lives in an apartment in West Branch while his parents and sister still live in West Liberty and while it is legal it sure appears to be an attempt to circumvent the residency requirement that is set by the state. Heck throw in the 'it's not about sports at WB' angle and all would have been good. Maybe to appease the private supporters add 'if something like this happened with them this board would have been filled with people looking for blood'.

Some on this board crack me up, they come on here looking for multipliers, casting aspersions, making stuff up, taking third hand stories and presenting them as facts, opinions as facts etc. and yet when a clear attempt to play on the line of being legal occurs we are told to 'move along, nothing to see here' Sounds perfectly understandable. I wonder if your opinion would change if this occurred in your district and it was an impact player making the move.

I am still for a multiplier and I don't think this situation hurts that at all, it may actually help. For example, a very respectable 1A public school with a lot of tradition has seen a wave of great transfers in recent years, yet they are still not on the same football level as the 1A private school.

so what does the multiplier need to be for the public per transfer, Do we wait & see and if they win, then we punish the next years' team with the transfer multiplier?

I should probably turn the other cheek on this one. I find it amusing that when there is scrutiny focused on people who like to point fingers at others that their response is to get defensive, complain to the administrators and basically take their ball and go home. This probably could have been stopped by answering the questions and saying that yes the kid lives in an apartment in West Branch while his parents and sister still live in West Liberty and while it is legal it sure appears to be an attempt to circumvent the residency requirement that is set by the state. Heck throw in the 'it's not about sports at WB' angle and all would have been good. Maybe to appease the private supporters add 'if something like this happened with them this board would have been filled with people looking for blood'.

Some on this board crack me up, they come on here looking for multipliers, casting aspersions, making stuff up, taking third hand stories and presenting them as facts, opinions as facts etc. and yet when a clear attempt to play on the line of being legal occurs we are told to 'move along, nothing to see here' Sounds perfectly understandable. I wonder if your opinion would change if this occurred in your district and it was an impact player making the move.
Exactly. Such hypocrites.

Another great way to handle a problem with a post that doesn't take any of Luke's time is to grow a pair and deal with it.

If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen via the IGNORE button.

This is exactly my point. Most of these transfers whether to private or public schools are being done in a manner to circumvent the residency requirements. So why put it into question? We all know the intent is to be eligible for sports. Apparently in this unique situation it looks like one kid wanted to go to another school while others in the family did not (I suppose not totally unlike Coach Cook's children going to Regina and West High).

I do agree with you Cid that it is unfortunate some can't handle the heat when their school benefits from some move-ins while calling others into question.

And, to be clear, this high school kid got his own apartment, and left his team during the season, only to suit up in another team's uniform and jump right into the playoffs.
That is what has happened here. Why not wait the three weeks for basketball season to end and not disrespect your former teammates and community like that?
And, he was the QB for a team that didn't win a football game last year...but jumps onto a football team that may be considered a 1A contender by some.
Better not hear WB fans casting any stones for a long, long time...

Yep, so why waste anymore time on it???

Pretty sure If WB was recruiting they would have to be pretty bad at it since they haven't won a state title for a couple of decades

I think my sarcasm must not have come through strong enough, if high school kids are getting apartments on their own and leaving parents behind happens quite frequently then I haven't been paying close enough attention and any multiplier talk should be tabled and all of these drum bangers should start focusing on that instead.

I would have no problem looking at the kids moving into places like WB into the multiplier equation. To this point we know that transfers to places like WB and Solon does not tilt the wheel in their favor enough vs teams like Regina.

So, simply put, public school transfers and OE kids doesn't appear to be as much of an advantage as a private school in a 4A city has over public schools in 1A towns.

Originally posted by rkhemp:
I would have no problem looking at the kids moving into places like WB into the multiplier equation. To this point we know that transfers to places like WB and Solon does not tilt the wheel in their favor enough vs teams like Regina.

So, simply put, public school transfers and OE kids doesn't appear to be as much of an advantage as a private school in a 4A city has over public schools in 1A towns.
200.gif

I believe Solon beat Regina this year and WB didn't play Regina so that one is up in the air because I had several WB parents tell me that this was the year..kind of sounded like Cub fans almost. By the way RH Waterloo Columbus called and wondered why it hasn't worked out as well for them, they have similar advantages and they haven't won like Regina. I know nobody likes to think that it might just be talented kids, working hard and getting good coaching. It must be the highly chemically treated water in Iowa City that makes it work that way. It certainly isn't all state lineman transferring in or high school kids getting their own apartment to make it happen. So it is just some harmonic convergence of location, location, location....because they have never been bad before because the school hasn't moved.

For those not aware some of that last part was full sarcasm directed at people who just don't get it.

Well, when Columbus called did you give them any of your secrets or are you keeping them for yourselves?

I don't have any secrets, my job is to send my kids through the program and have them develop into quality human beings. I believe that if Columbus called they would be welcome with open arms. Heck a few years ago their was a school that was getting ready to pass a bond issue,(for you private school types that is when a school can seriously upgrade the facility by putting it on the tax payers of the school district whether you have kids there or not, definitely not an advantage for the public schools) this school happened to be about 8 miles east of Regina and their head football coach, activities director, strength coach(didn't know public schools could have one of those, thought it was only rich private schools) and some school board members toured the weight room at Regina, an open door was extended and all questions were answered. I always wondered if the same courtesy would be extended if the roles were reversed.

My advice to people wanting to see what the difference may be would be to have their kid sign up for the summer weight lifting program at Regina, it is open to the public, they do charge all people $'s to join though, no bond issues to pay for all of this. Maybe then you could see what some of the difference might be.

I understand it is the combination of great kids, working hard, and great coaching. So what 1A programs can achieve this. You seem to indicate all the time that anyone can do it but choose not to. I want to send my kids to a small town 1A school that has better coaching, players, and work harder than 3A semi-finalist teams. Any suggestions?

And why are you so upset with West Branch passing a bond for better facilities? That's how public schools raise that kind of money. What does that have anything to do with you? Are you a West Branch tax payer? Should public schools only raise money through private donations from their wealthy alumni? Maybe take some money from local churches? Charge students to attend?

We get it, you are way better than West Branch. They sure get under your skin pretty easily though

CID isn't upset that WB passed a bond to improve their athletic facilities. He's just pointing out that it's an advantage over private schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT