ADVERTISEMENT

4A state

We DON'T agree, there is plenty of GREAT talent in Iowa, I just expect better play than 8 errors in 2 games from every team at state in every class. Throw in the fact that they have more students to choose from than any other school and it is that more embarrassing. I have played against many WD teams in usssa and I know they have plenty of kids who don't even make the team who could have made those plays. I don't see iapreps as a place to put kids down. They are just young men/kids but people expect more from them right or wrong.

Jako, a few physical errors by the Valley team in the state tournament and you question their talent online. Stay classy! Errors happen to anyone. I suppose you question the talent of major league players when they make errors too?

I came into the tourney thinking ankeny was not only the favorite this year but they are also huge favorites next year and my thoughts have been confirmed thus far.

I don't think Ankeny is head over heels favorites. Having watched I think you can say it is still wide open. What surprises me this year is that these final four teams don't rely on pitching.

Fort Dodge has great defense and decent hitting/pitching, CRK/Valley/Ankeny have great hitting, decent fielding/decent pitching.

I agree about the talent pool. College coaches throughout the midwest will tell you that baseball talent in Iowa is very weak; not only this year, but for several years to come.

Maxstabs, I agree with everything you said, except that Ankey has OUTSTANDING pitching! They are the only team in the state that can field 3 dominating pitchers.

Originally posted by Johnny2hotty:

Maxstabs, I agree with everything you said, except that Ankey has OUTSTANDING pitching! They are the only team in the state that can field 3 dominating pitchers.
Ankeny has solid pitching, but that isn't what I would be most worried about when scouting them. They can hit top to bottom. Belzer is really the only pitcher that I would be worried about. He has a good K/BB and he has a great OBA. They got by without him against Valley, but I expect him to pitch the title game.

I was listening to the radio broadcast for the Ankeny-Valley game down in DSM and Fort Dodge was getting a lot of respect from the announcers. One of the guys even picked them to win it all. Kinda surprised me seeing as how he has all these fine institutions in the DSM area to choose from and play homer to.

Also interesting to see how much more they mentioned how good they thought Fort Dodge was than some of the people on this board.
grin.r191677.gif

I believe the statements were made that Valley was the best hitting team, Dowling had the best pitching and Ft. Dodge was the most fundamently sound team.. I was at the tourney all 3 days and I would have to say that Ankeny was the best in all of these. 42-2 three different starting pitchers ( all underclassmen) 19 hits in the final game (record) and I think only 3 errors total in 3 games all speaks for itself.
This post was edited on 7/29 10:02 AM by toosimpletoo

toosimpletoo, I agree that Ankeny was the best at almost every aspect of the game....the only close call would be Ankeny and Fort Dodge being close in defensive fielding. The rest is hands down in favor of Ankeny.

Ankey, should get all of the credit because they were the best team in the tourney. No question about that.

The question should be...aren't they supposed to be the favorites against a team like FD?

Ankeny is a large community with only 1 school. Towns like Fort Dodge and Mason City are small towns (for 4A) and both support two schools each (with St. Edmond & MC Newman). Last year Mason City made it to the State Champinsihp - now this year it was Fort Dodge - that says a lot about the baseball in these towns!

Also, each and every year it seems as though St. Edmond and MC Newman are always ranked in the top 5 in 2A. Which, also speaks to the talent of those schools as well.

When Ankey does split, I think both teams will still be very good. If I understand right, they still will have a higher enrollment than most even after the split.

To say the least, It will be interesting to see how these new conferences change the way teams and programs are viewed.

Congratulations to Ankeny as they were the best baseball team in the state of Iowa (classy team as well).

Next years team will still be comprised from one school. When the spilt happens there will be 900-1000 kids in grades 10 thru 12 I believe. I have no idea how thaty would compare to FD or Mason City. 6 of the Ankeny startesrs plus Belzer will return for next year.

Ankeny's enrollment total for 2011-2012,is 1744, ranking it #2 behind Valley, statewide.

A theoretical 50/50 split would put each school's enrollment on par with Urbandale (34th @ 900), Mason City (35th @ 898) and Souix City West (36th @ 886). Fort Dodge is next at 835.

IAHSAA Enrollment Figures for 2013 Assignments

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT